Celebrity Flyer: Pickleball at Sea

mahdnc

We were on the Apex in March where there was no dedicated pickleball court.  Pickleball was set up and overseen by Celebrity staff on the rooftop garden for a few hours on a couple of sea days.  As there was always a line up of people wanting to just try it or play, it didn't seem that anyone actually played one full game to allow people to try.        

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruise47 said:

How often is the basketball court really been used on a cruise ship?

This is an ideal place to have two (2) pickleball courts.

If you want to use it for pickle ball then of course you think the basketball players never use it.  Same in my neighborhood.  “They won’t miss that one tennis court.  No one uses it.”

1 hour ago, cruise47 said:

How often is the basketball court really been used on a Celebrity cruise ship?

While the crew will utilize it during overnight hours, its almost never used during the daytime.  With a regulation basketball court, you could safely fit three pickleball courts.  Technically four fits but it wouldn't be safe since out of bounce would be the next court

2 hours ago, cruise47 said:

How often is the basketball court really been used on a Celebrity cruise ship?

On the Millennium, they shared the one court - some hours was basketball, and some hours they set up for pickleball. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/30/2023 at 9:30 AM, zitsky said:

If you want to use it for pickle ball then of course you think the basketball players never use it.  Same in my neighborhood.  “They won’t miss that one tennis court.  No one uses it.”

at our Fl community..the Pickleball players tried to have the tennis courts re- lined to accomodate more PB play Apparently ..never enough courts for PB. 

...the  avid Tennis players were not happy campers and the  tennis Cts  stayed as they were.

We have active players of both so folks just have to work with what they have. We do notice that. a Tennis  ball hitting racquet  is much quieter than PB  and paddle.

.  Indoor area on low deck  might work best on a ship..A/c and soundproof!

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

We never found the pickle ball area on the Beyond.

It was located by the Rooftop Garden.  The same area was used for movies and family games.  There were specific times listed in the program for the various events.  Thank goodness they limited the days and times for pickelball.

• Like 1

On the Equinox last month, it was mostly impossible to play while at sea. Court is on deck 14, and at speed of 19 knots there was no way to adjust for wind and ship mivement. It was mostly just chasing the ball! 

Came across some participants in the Rooftop area on a recent Beyond cruise. Certainly not a spectator sport since no skills were demonstrated by the four participants. Except for the serve, they could not get the ball over the net more than once or twice. Spent most of the time chasing the orb. I'm guessing that's the way it is most of the time. Not being a pickleball fan or athlete myself, X does not need to provide this activity fleet wide. 

Over the last several years, pickleball (in my retirement community) has morphed from a casual fun game to a competitive, cultish obsession. The converts have taken over tennis courts, basketball courts, and still want more. Exercise is clearly a good thing, but the incessant "thunk thunk" (especially at night) is infuriating. Yeah, the HOA gave in to the endless demands for night lights. 

We constantly hear that "pickleball is the fastest growing sport in the world" and it probably is (for now). True, there are international competitions. But whenever we see an ambulance racing through the development, it's often headed to the pickleball court. Another senior reminded that they're not 21 anymore.

As for the drum beat to put more pickleball courts on ships, it's happening. I would caution participants of all ages to be extra careful and wary of Caribbean heat, sun, and intermittent rains. And depending on the location of the courts, keep in mind that the "thunk thunk" can be really annoying. 

On 4/30/2023 at 9:09 AM, rodndonna said:

On the Millennium, they shared the one court - some hours was basketball, and some hours they set up for pickleball. 

Was the wind from the cruise ship moving through the court or is it enclosed?

A local SWFL emergency room doctor told me he gets at least 1 pickleball injury per shift - twisted or sprained ankles or wrists, shoulder separations, and all kinds of scrapes and bruises are typical.

That's from locals playing on steady ground and without alcohol.  Play on a moving ship after a few drinks and one may think that injuries would only increase.  Be careful !!

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

A local SWFL emergency room doctor told me he gets at least 1 pickleball injury per shift - twisted or sprained ankles or wrists, shoulder separations, and all kinds of scrapes and bruises are typical.

That's from locals playing on steady ground and without alcohol.  Play on a moving ship after a few drinks and one may think that injuries would only increase.  Be careful !!

It will take me a few drinks to play pickle ball.  I might be out of shape.  😂

Hopefully, in its inaugural sailing season, the Celebrity Ascent will not, I repeat will not be hosting the "Worldwide - AT SEA - Pickleball Championships." I can see and hear it now. "Live from the Rooftop Garden Grill Pickleball Court on Celebrity Ascent, I'm Jim Nantz alongside Ben Johns here to bring you the 2023 Worldwide Pickleball Championships." That just can't happen...right?

2 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Hopefully, in its inaugural sailing season, the Celebrity Ascent will not, I repeat will not be hosting the "Worldwide - AT SEA - Pickleball Championships." I can see and hear it now. "Live from the Rooftop Garden Grill Pickleball Court on Celebrity Ascent, I'm Jim Nantz alongside Ben Johns here to bring you the 2023 Worldwide Pickleball Championships." That just can't happen...right?

I have a friend who knows someone who knows someone else and they said Ceelbrity paid for the broadcast rights.

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

The people I see playing don't move much.  Oh, they probably got ankle sprains heading off the court to make sure they arrive in time for  the early bird menu.  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I have a friend who knows someone who knows someone else and they said Ceelbrity paid for the broadcast rights.

But the only TVs that could get the feed were in the suites and Retreat area.

On 5/13/2023 at 10:47 PM, ecslady said:

What type of pickleball paddles do the ship's provide?  The cheaper wood paddles or the better graphite paddles?

We seen it on the Beyond.   People were lined up waiting to play.  If you are a serious player forget about playing.   It isn’t to see who is the best or the most professional.   It is an activity.   Most people were lucky to return a serve.   It they did the other person would miss.  I don’t know if you can choose your opponent.   It isn’t open 24/7.   Just set up for a few hours and supervised.  

I am a decent pool (billiard)  player.   Better than most but not a pro.  Personally I don’t find it any fun playing against someone that can’t play close to my level.  It is frustrating.  That is how I would feel about playing pickle ball on board the ship if I was a serious player.    I wouldn’t do it unless it would be someone that was close to my level.   I don’t need to show off playing someone that never played before.  

If you are good you can play with any equipment.   The best equipment is only needed if you are one of the best playing against the best not against amateurs. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅