No more bowties to indicate formal nights?

bitob

Thank you to all who let me know there are no formal nights on a SS expedition cruise.  If you can tolerate one more question:  On a SS Expedition Cruise can I get away with bringing sweaters instead of jackets?  Or will I need a jacket for evenings?

Yes sweaters are fine. It is just a small number of us who would wear a jacket.

In my case because we always do something before and after a cruise. this usually includes some upmarket dining where jackets are appreciated.

7 hours ago, drron29 said:

Yes sweaters are fine. It is just a small number of us who would wear a jacket.

In my case because we always do something before and after a cruise. this usually includes some upmarket dining where jackets are appreciated.

Same here.  I will take a blazer for the before and after (and during).

14 hours ago, drron29 said:

On the classic fleet it is always formal night on the evening of the Captain's Welcome cocktails which is always on the second night of every cruise.

I always thought the same. My Dawn sailing is on the third evening, which happens to be tonight. It was  informal night last night. I saw a guest refused entry to SALT for no jacket.

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2023 at 4:23 PM, drron29 said:

On the classic fleet it is always formal night on the evening of the Captain's Welcome cocktails which is always on the second night of every cruise.

For our upcoming sailing on the Dawn, we will be on the ship for three legs, with formal night falling on the third night on two out of three legs.  On last year's Grand Voyage, formal night was always on the second night of each of the four legs, so it appears they are changing things up a bit this year.

New to Silversea, still learning about the product. I see dinner reservations mentioned in this thread - can someone break down dinner reservations for me? Are they needed, when do they open up for booking, any other details?

20 minutes ago, terry&mike said:

Are they needed, when do they open up for booking, any other details?

Yes you should make the reservations when they open at 120 days out in My Silversea. Note not all restaurants need to be booked in advance but some that are include - La Terrazza, Silver Note, The Grill, Kaiseki and La Dame (only some may exist of the ship you are on) 

You can book once per restaurant online before boarding and then when you board you can ask your butler to try to add more (as long as you’re flexible you should be able to get them)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Yes you should make the reservations when they open at 120 days out in My Silversea. Note not all restaurants need to be booked in advance but some that are include - La Terrazza, Silver Note, The Grill, Kaiseki and La Dame (only some may exist of the ship you are on) 

You can book once per restaurant online before boarding and then when you board you can ask your butler to try to add more (as long as you’re flexible you should be able to get them)

No, you can book as many times as you'd like once online booking opens (obs only one restaurant per night). Some people book for many nights, but that seems a bit restrictive to me.

Since I won't know where and when I'll be wanting to dine months in advance of the cruise, I make a 'skeleton' selection of bookings, then add more once on board if that's what I want, and cancel any I'm not using.

With the caveat that if you want very specific dates/times/places they may not be available last minute; and any unwanted bookings should for politeness be cancelled by at least 2pm on the day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jollyjones said:

No, you can book as many times as you'd like once online booking opens (obs only one restaurant per night). Some people book for many nights, but that seems a bit restrictive to me.

My mistake - I must be confusing what happened on a couple of other lines and have been "trained" on the behaviour - sorry about that. But as you say by the time you make a reservation at most of those requiring reservations it would be polite to allow others the opportunity to book

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terry&mike said:

New to Silversea, still learning about the product. I see dinner reservations mentioned in this thread - can someone break down dinner reservations for me? Are they needed, when do they open up for booking, any other details?

Good morning, another caveat, 2 restaurants do not need reservations. Atlantide (Which is on all ships) and SALT Ktichen, which is on Moon and Dawn. Both of those venues are just "walk up". No reservations needed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terry&mike said:

The online system isn’t an actual reservation, but rather a request. Some get confused by that. So, you request a time frame (hourly, 7p, 8p, 9p, etc.) that you’d like to dine and when you embark a letter will be in your suite which contains your actual reserved times.

If you don’t care for any of your actual reservations, then just speak with your butler, or maître d', to have them changed to suit your needs.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

The online system isn’t an actual reservation, but rather a request. Some get confused by that. So, you request a time frame (hourly, 7p, 8p, 9p, etc.) that you’d like to dine and when you embark a letter will be in your suite which contains your actual reserved times.

If you don’t care for any of your actual reservations, then just speak with your butler, or maître d', to have them changed to suit your needs.

I don't know when you last cruised with SS but it is certainly now a reservation system.

When you book now your reservation is confirmed at the time and you get a confirmation  that confirms the time of the booking and the number of guests booked

4 hours ago, beaujolais said:

I don't know when you last cruised with SS but it is certainly now a reservation system.

When you book now your reservation is confirmed at the time and you get a confirmation  that confirms the time of the booking and the number of guests booked

Well…kind of.  We had a supposedly confirmed “reservation” for the Silver Note for dinner for four at 8 PM prior to the cruise.  When we actually boarded the reservation had changed to 9 PM.  When we asked about it they said something along the lines that the reservation was actually for a time period not a specific time and 9 PM was within the “time period”.   Our butler worked the issue and we were able to be seated at 8 PM.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, beaujolais said:

When you book now your reservation is confirmed at the time and you get a confirmation that confirms the time of the booking and the number of guests booked.

Sorry, but you are incorrect.  As I stated, some get confused. It’s because the system has an appearance that it’s an actual reservation, but in reality is nothing more than a confirmation your request has acknowledged.

9 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Sorry, but you are incorrect.  As I stated, some get confused. It’s because the system has an appearance that it’s an actual reservation, but in reality is nothing more than a confirmation your request has acknowledged.

I am sorry but we must agree to disagree

I am pretty sure that the acknowledgement below, from one  of our upcoming SS cruises,  is a confirmed confirmation of a booking to arrive at the La Dame restaurant between 19.00hrs and 20.00 hrs

The timings are as Randyk47 experienced

Restaurants

Please note: If your dinings are wait listed, you will be notified by butler with the latest status update of your reservation.

• Jun
  • confirmed
  • La Dame
    • Time: 19:00 / 20:00
    • 2 Reservations - Unit price: $60.00
    • Total: $120.00

2 minutes ago, beaujolais said:

• Jun
  • confirmed
  • La Dame
    • Time: 19:00 / 20:00
    • 2 Reservations - Unit price: $60.00
    • Total: $120.00

So what time is your reservation? -  7pm or 8pm? Or anytime you like to turn up between 7-8pm?

I think you’ll find when you get on board you will receive communications with a specific time between 7 and 8pm

23 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

So what time is your reservation? -  7pm or 8pm? Or anytime you like to turn up between 7-8pm?

I think you’ll find when you get on board you will receive communications with a specific time between 7 and 8pm

I think that you are being rather pedantic here as you will know from your previous experiences with SS

Just now, beaujolais said:

I think that you are being rather pedantic here as you will know from your previous experiences with SS

Simple question - So when is your reservation? 

I’m just speaking from practical experience where a friend found their reservation was a different time than they thought it was based on this reservation window issue

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Simple question - So when is your reservation? 

I’m just speaking from practical experience where a friend found their reservation was a different time than they thought it was based on this reservation window issue

Hi again Stickman1990

I have booked for 19.00 hrs , Early Arrival Time, which as you would know from your previous cruise on SS  shows on the reserved activities as 19.00/20.00.  I could also have booked Regular Arrival Time ,which would be 20.00hrs and shows as 20.00/21.00 or I could even book Late Arrival time which would have been 21.00hrs and shows as 21.00/22.00 on the reserved activities

All of the bookings in the restaurants and also on your chosen daily tours are now always marked as confirmed unless you are on a wait list

Whilst corresponding may I wish you "good luck" on your return to Crystal

• Like 1

Once you get onboard each reservation that was confirmed will be assigned a specific time. On recent cruises we had reserved the early seating for La Terrazza and La Dame ahead and were assigned 7:30  often and occasionally 8:00 onboard. Having booked the early seating at Silver Note ahead we were assigned 9 pm on multiple cruises and found  an earlier reservation difficult to get. This is why many people feel it is merely a request, not a reservation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, beaujolais said:

I don't think folks who are responding to you are being pedantic, but you seem to be a bit cantankerous to them. 

I too agree with Stumblefoot as my most recent experience was similar to sea bright's.  I even had a date of a so called "confirmed" reservation like you pasted above changed to a completely different date.  No big deal to me, but do be sure to check your requests once you arrive in your suite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1