Water levels for Nederlands 2023

Just trying to get an early feeler for information regarding water levels and any possible effects for this years cruises scheduled from Amsterdam.

Have there been any indications in the local media as to if the cruises will be moved again to Rotterdam or Ijmuiden this year or does it appear that Amsterdam sailings will be ok?

@MAVIP @Dutch_Travelgirl @FreestyleNovice @Ine

2 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Just trying to get an early feeler for information regarding water levels and any possible effects for this years cruises scheduled from Amsterdam.

Have there been any indications in the local media as to if the cruises will be moved again to Rotterdam or Ijmuiden this year or does it appear that Amsterdam sailings will be ok?

As you probably expect, nobody knows since it is depends on the weather and rainfall. 

3 minutes ago, Ine said:

As you probably expect, nobody knows since it is depends on the weather and rainfall. 

Absolutely!  But there may well be indications.  Such as have levels recovered since last year?  How is this years level compared with 2021 or previous.  Maybe there is talk of taking pre-emptive action.

Already this year the snow fall levels in the Alps are much lower than normal which will lead to less melt water and lower levels in the rivers.  Also France has recorded its longest winter drought.

7 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

No warnings at this very moment, so no warning for high levels or low levels.  Quite a few pages with all waterlevels, but the pages with warning signs: all signs green at this very moment. I hope I read them in the correct way.  

• Thanks 1

It’s absolutely impossible to say anything meaningful at all about how high or low water levels will be. The water levels in the Netherlands are the result of a very complicated process and depend on lots of different variables. It’s so much more complex than “lots of rain = high water levels” and “no rain = low water levels”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this question.  We are doing a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest in September and I am really hoping we will have no issues with water level.  I take cruises so I can pack and unpack once.  I do not wish to do it repeatedly on a river cruise.

Last year 6 days before our cruise ending In Amsterdam(embarking in Stockholm), we received notice that Copenhagen was dropped from our itinerary. No explanation from NCL.  We found out on Cruise Critic (later confirmed once on board) the most likely reason was our timing for entry at the IJmuiden Lock.  It was moved up by 12 hours. So we spend the last  night in Amsterdam, instead  of arriving early the next morning.  But missed Copenhagen.  So just plan ahead.  

as @Dutch_Travelgirlstates, it’s compacted. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2023 at 10:02 AM, VMax1700 said:

Not sure if you follow the River Cruising board but @notamermaid has an extensive knowledge of the water levels.