1st World Problem Vent :) Non-Vines customers camping out in Vines

tuckerboxbill

Yeah yeah, 1st world problem, but I'd like to vent! 🙂
Non-Vines customers taking up the window seats in Vines for hours on end, sleeping etc basically camping out and stopping actual Vines customers from using the seats. GRRRR

It's not the Piazza people.

OK, bring the hate! 😁

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I understand your frustration about the seating arrangement in Vines or lack thereof.

Our last Princess Cruise was 2017,so things may have changed. I recall that the bar at Vines was not always open in the daytime,especially early in the day. People would take seats there to talk quietly,read or play cards when the bar was closed.

If people are now occupyng the space without enjoying a glass of wine there, I would speak to someone at Guest Services or the manager when Vines is open for service.

It is up to staff/management to make those being served at Vines comfortable.

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, tuckerboxbill said:

Yeah yeah, 1st world problem, but I'd like to vent! 🙂
Non-Vines customers taking up the window seats in Vines for hours on end, sleeping etc basically camping out and stopping actual Vines customers from using the seats. GRRRR

It's not the Piazza people.

OK, bring the hate! 😁

No hate here  !

A perfectly understandable point of view.  

• Like 4

People often take the large table at the edge of Vines when trying to enjoy the entertainment in the Piazza. There will often be 6 or 8 people there and they aren't actually together other than a couple or two. I don't have a problem with that as it's not a table that a couple (or even two couples) regularly use for sitting and drinking wine. It has tall stools and isn't all that comfortable. We have been guilty of sitting there ourselves - although we generally get a glass of wine. Taking up the inner tables - and especially the window seat table - really isn't kosher. We love it when we can snag the table by the window for a nice, leisurely glass of wine (or two). Like the OP, we would be annoyed if it was being taken up by non wine drinkers.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We love it when we can snag the table by the window for a nice, leisurely glass of wine

Us too. From memory those tables seat four (?). If two non drinkers are sitting there,  I would be very tempted to join them, and hope that they would take the hint and leave. 

Does it have to be wine, or would any drink qualify one to use a table in Vines?  

Seems this is an issue applicable to all of the lounges throughout the ship. Is there a rule that passengers must make purchases to sit in Vines or any of those other lounges?  I understand the frustration of trying to find a preferred seat.  In my view that is part of life aboard a big cruise ship.  

• Like 1

While on the Sky last month, I noticed the same thing and I guess it may be because there are no other seats close buy to listen to entertainment in the Piazza.  Sky was at max passenger count for the entire month of February so a lot of people looking for seats.

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Us too. From memory those tables seat four (?). If two non drinkers are sitting there,  I would be very tempted to join them, and hope that they would take the hint and leave. 

If that is an empty seat you want, why not join them.  In that scenario, I will ask if they mind if I/we take the other seat(s).  

• Like 1

Partly Princess fault.   They need to design a ship with more inside seating space.  Especially in colder weather cruises everyone goes to the Atrium.    Travel on the Queen Mary 2.   Plenty of seating inside.

• Like 6

The "right" answer:  Tables and chairs at Vines should be available for Vines participants.  It is up to the wine server there and/or Customer Service to clear the area of non-drinkers/sitters.

The alternative answer:  If Vines is closed (no attendant) then it is a free for all. (same for Wheelhouse, Skywalkers, etc.)

The problem answer:  Princess does not provide enough open spaces for everyone to find a quiet place to enjoy themselves.  IF something is happening in the Piazza...it's loud.  IF something is happening at the Explorer's Lounge, those nice comfy chairs outside the venue ...it's too loud.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 3

Most of the responses are supporting the OP.  Mine does not. 

I have paid the cruise fare, and that entitles me to sit at almost any venue in the ship.  (Except specialty restaurants, spa, sanctuary, etc.)  I think of most of the venues' seating as "common areas" open and available to all on a first come, first served basis.  

As a non-drinker with the Plus Package, if I have to buy a glass of wine to sit at the Vines tables, I could do that.  But what makes you wine drinkers somehow more entitled to sit there than I am?  It's a cruise ship, and I paid my fare.  If I want to watch/listen to the activities in the Piazza, and there are no seats available there, I will sit in Vines. 

It is not as if Vines is an independent bar, with seats/tables reserved for it.  Vines is just one more "common area" of the ship.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Most of the responses are supporting the OP.  Mine does not. 

I have paid the cruise fare, and that entitles me to sit at almost any venue in the ship.  (Except specialty restaurants, spa, sanctuary, etc.)  I think of most of the venues' seating as "common areas" open and available to all on a first come, first served basis.  

As a non-drinker with the Plus Package, if I have to buy a glass of wine to sit at the Vines tables, I could do that.  But what makes you wine drinkers somehow more entitled to sit there than I am?  It's a cruise ship, and I paid my fare.  If I want to watch/listen to the activities in the Piazza, and there are no seats available there, I will sit in Vines. 

It is not as if Vines is an independent bar, with seats/tables reserved for it.  Vines is just one more "common area" of the ship.

While I don’t necessarily agree, I will say that I have NEVER seen Vines so crowded so as to make this an issue. That said, when we go to Vines we almost always sit at the bar to talk wine geek stuff with the server. I’m fairly oblivious to what goes on behind me though jockeying for seats has never been a thing. 

Edit to add:  There is one thing to take into consideration. Vines is not really a “takeaway” venue. They have their own (better) stems and they don’t like seeing those walk away. So people who order wine at Vines and are served in Riedels, the staff would much prefer that those customers stay in the venue and that depends on space being available for them. So be considerate. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The "right" answer:  Tables and chairs at Vines should be available for Vines participants.  It is up to the wine server there and/or Customer Service to clear the area of non-drinkers/sitters.

The alternative answer:  If Vines is closed (no attendant) then it is a free for all. (same for Wheelhouse, Skywalkers, etc.)

The problem answer:  Princess does not provide enough open spaces for everyone to find a quiet place to enjoy themselves.  IF something is happening in the Piazza...it's loud.  IF something is happening at the Explorer's Lounge, those nice comfy chairs outside the venue ...it's too loud.

If the staff of Vines do not stop people from setting in Vines or take any action to have such people leave then it is pretty clear that the seats in Vines are no more restricted then the seats in the bar next to the IC, or the other seats in the Piazza area.  In other words first come first serve.

Princess crew is trying avoid confrontation with a passenger by not "enforcing" the seating only be open to people who are actively making use of the amenities of the Vines bar.  Same reason crew doesn't enforce the no holding deck loungers on at the pool or the holding of seats at the theatre.  The passengers getting kicked out would just go to Guest Services and complain there.  The crew is stuck in a Catch 22.  

• Like 2

Well……you can’t usually take the realllllly nice wine glasses they use there anywhere else! Us wine drinkers know it’s all about the ambiance with our wine…… luckily our next cruise is on the Caribbean Princess, which has bar stools at the bar of Vines that we used daily back in 2019!  Our last was on the Emerald, so it wasn’t as big. But Romeo and Joseph made up for it with their larger than life personalities!!

Edited by amypete

8 minutes ago, amypete said:

Well……you can’t usually take the realllllly nice wine glasses they use there anywhere else!

In December the wine steward actually allowed us to take the good glasses to dinner a few times but we had to swear to return them. The staff in the dining room will try to "clear" the glasses from the table so we had to be vigilant. We were amazed that he allowed us to take the glasses. We sat at the window table a lot and talked with him and he got to trust us. I don't expect to ever have that happen again but the wine really does taste better in those glasses than in the "to go" glasses.

• Like 5

I don't know how old you are but just appearing to need a seat more than the people sitting sometimes works for me. 

Maybe even fake breathing a little heavier and lean with a hand against the wall until they get the message. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not Vines but I got annoyed on our last cruise with all the people playing cards or other misc activities at the very few tables adjacent to the International Cafe.  So you get your snack or sandwich or whatever, and there's nowhere to sit down and enjoy it.  If I was sitting there playing cards and saw people with plates of food looking for somewhere to eat I would MOVE.  There are a myriad of other places you could sit and play games or whatever. The tables there should be for those eating IMO. 

Rant over 🙂 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Princess crew is trying avoid confrontation with a passenger by not "enforcing" the seating only be open to people who are actively making use of the amenities of the Vines bar.  

Where is this "seating only be open to people who are actively making use of the amenities of the Vines Bar" written?  This thread is the only suggestion of this "rule" I've ever seen.  Did I miss a FAQ or Guideline from Princess? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I got annoyed on our last cruise with all the people playing cards or other misc activities at the very few tables adjacent to the International Cafe.  ***  If I was sitting there playing cards and saw people with plates of food looking for somewhere to eat I would MOVE.  There are a myriad of other places you could sit and play games or whatever. The tables there should be for those eating IMO. 

Rant over 🙂 

In my opinion, those tables (like the tables in Vines) are just as much for the people enjoying whatever activities are taking place in the Piazza.  The musicians, the golf putting and paper plane flights, the sparkling wine waterfall, sled dog puppies, the list goes on and on.   We the passengers need to recognize that we are all equally entitled.

Princess needs to provide more seating for the Piazza and for the Int'l Cafe.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Where is this "seating only be open to people who are actively making use of the amenities of the Vines Bar" written?  This thread is the only suggestion of this "rule" I've ever seen.  Did I miss a FAQ or Guideline from Princess? 

It's not.  That's why I wrote enforcing, in quotations.

1 minute ago, Mike45LC said:

In my opinion, those tables (like the tables in Vines) are just as much for the people enjoying whatever activities are taking place in the Piazza.  The musicians, the golf putting and paper plane flights, the sparkling wine waterfall, sled dog puppies, the list goes on and on.   We the passengers need to recognize that we are all equally entitled.

Princess needs to provide more seating for the Piazza and for the Int'l Cafe.  

You can enjoy Piazza activities at many seating areas without dining tables.  Why should you take up a dining table to sit and listen to music?  Maybe I'm just more self-aware of my fellow cruisers or diners in general.  Much the same as I would not sit and talk after a meal at a restaurant where I could see people waiting for a table.  It's called consideration for others.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, roadster08 said:

I don't know how old you are but just appearing to need a seat more than the people sitting sometimes works for me. 

Maybe even fake breathing a little heavier and lean with a hand against the wall until they get the message. 

That's the exact reason why I don't give up my seat on Princess cruises anymore.  Too many passengers faking it or thinking that they are entitled because they are old.  I'm younger and am outnumbered by passengers who are older than than me (read, seniors).  Some will literally come up to me and lecture me on how impolite I am.  Now, I just let them flap their gums and don't stand up.