Best Healthy Food Choices on Princess

mbglib

21 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Salads

Vegetarian menus (sometimes, depends what they're cooked and seasoned with)

Indian menu

Carving stations in buffet with no gravy.

Griddled chicken at Lido grill

Fruit plates

Steamed green veggies in MDR (yes, available)

Salad bar, oil and vinegar available

Salmon

Fish dishes, no sauce or sauces in the side .

Some salads at International Cafe (although they can be heavily dressed)

Meat dishes in MDR with no sauce, or sauce in the side. 

There's sugar free desserts, although they're not low carb (made with flour and all that stuff). 

Sugar free ice cream

Vodka on the rocks

Rum on the rooms

Whiskey neat

Dirty martini

Hot dog  or burger no bun.

On Royal class ships, there's a grilled veggie and meat station in the forward section of the buffet...

And so forth... Lots of options to shave some unnecessary calories, sugar, etc out of the diet 

And for all those that say things like "live s little" or "just take the stairs" , lots of people have dietary needs that have nothing to do with weight or such a - and taking a few flight of stairs does not wipe out thousands of extra calories.  

Hot dogs healthy???  Dont think so.

20 hours ago, mbglib said:

Thank you for the suggestion and for taking my post seriously.

If you speak to your headwaiter on the first night, they will be happy to help you plan each evening's meal with the menu; they're amazing at that, with any dietary needs, restrictions, or even just wanting to eat healthier! 😃

• Like 2

3 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Too much sugar.

Berries, especially blueberries, are super healthy and contain very little sugar.  I always request berries in the MDR with my breakfast and usually no problem getting them.  Occasionally, I get strawberries more often than blueberries and raspberries, but that’s fine.  You have to search the buffet for berries and not always successful.  Oatmeal or cottage cheese topped with berries, nuts, seeds and a little drizzle of honey……delicious breakfast!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Two stalks of celery and some lettuce.  You can eat wisely on a cruise but you are also supposed to enjoy yourself.  I can eat healthy at home.

DON

You can eat healthy on a cruise and still enjoy yourself……we’ve been doing it for years.  We eat much more than celery and lettuce, that’s for sure.  We don’t eat meat at all, but we do eat fish and we love it!  We always tell our waitstaff and often we’re served fish that’s not even on the menu.  We ask for any kind of vegetables, and prefer grilled, but we’ll take whatever.  We eat seafood on occasion and we’ve been served some beautiful shrimp much larger than the cocktail variety.  You just have to ask!  We share one dessert on occasion.
My DH had a heart attack many years ago and was hospitalized for two weeks.  The cardiologist said my DH had to change his diet and lifestyle or else.  So, we did!  Now we cruise, eat well, drink alcohol in moderation (we have to have our wine at dinner with the doctors blessing, of course).  Having a great time and enjoying a healthy lifestyle can go hand in hand.  We never, ever feel deprived!  More people should try it……you might find you really enjoy it!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Salads

Vegetarian menus (sometimes, depends what they're cooked and seasoned with)

Indian menu

Carving stations in buffet with no gravy.

Griddled chicken at Lido grill

Fruit plates

Steamed green veggies in MDR (yes, available)

Salad bar, oil and vinegar available

Salmon

Fish dishes, no sauce or sauces in the side .

Some salads at International Cafe (although they can be heavily dressed)

Meat dishes in MDR with no sauce, or sauce in the side. 

There's sugar free desserts, although they're not low carb (made with flour and all that stuff). 

Sugar free ice cream

Vodka on the rocks

Rum on the rooms

Whiskey neat

Dirty martini

Hot dog  or burger no bun.

On Royal class ships, there's a grilled veggie and meat station in the forward section of the buffet...

And so forth... Lots of options to shave some unnecessary calories, sugar, etc out of the diet 

And for all those that say things like "live s little" or "just take the stairs" , lots of people have dietary needs that have nothing to do with weight or such a - and taking a few flight of stairs does not wipe out thousands of extra calories.  

I’m intrigued by the steamed green veggies..would that be spinach and broccoli? I know bout the steamed veggies option but never thought of the greens! I love your list…I always make a habit of asking for sauce on the side so that I can control how much I use…

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Thrak said:

Bulleit Bourbon. Double. Straight up. Salad... BAH!!!

I'm guessing pretty much anything they offer will be more healthy than the new Premium Desserts.

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger brother. 

14 minutes ago, Camelia- said:

I’m intrigued by the steamed green veggies..would that be spinach and broccoli? I know bout the steamed veggies option but never thought of the greens! I love your list…I always make a habit of asking for sauce on the side so that I can control how much I use…

Aren't all veg steamed on board ?

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Berries, especially blueberries, are super healthy and contain very little sugar.  I always request berries in the MDR with my breakfast and usually no problem getting them.  Occasionally, I get strawberries more often than blueberries and raspberries, but that’s fine.  You have to search the buffet for berries and not always successful.  Oatmeal or cottage cheese topped with berries, nuts, seeds and a little drizzle of honey……delicious breakfast!

Ahhhhh delicious!! You're talking my kind of food. 🤤

Edited by MacCruising2018
Grammer
  • Like 2

Hi all.  I've seen some references made indicating the sugar free desserts contain aspartame. Just curious, is it certain they contain specifically aspartame or maybe this term is being used as a catch all for sugar substitutes?  The reason I ask is because I can eat that, but I can't have any sugar alcohols at all - it's a gut thing.  I never get them (sf desserts) onboard as I was not sure what substitute they used (and real sugar doesn't bother me, except for the extra calories!)  I will ask onboard in the future but just wondering if others had already confirmed this.  Thanks!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nini said:

Has anyone requested grilled veggies? Without oil would be great.

One night when we received our veggie selection, they were grilled and we didn’t even ask for it that way.  Since we don’t eat meat (just fish and seafood) we make a point of telling the Maître d and our waitstaff that we’d like lots of veggies at the beginning of our cruise.  Our waiter said they were grilled with olive oil, which is fine with us.  So, just put in a request for the following evening.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2023 at 1:24 PM, mbglib said:

This is going to sound uninformed and it is.  I have never used oil and vinegar.  Do you just put some of each on your salad or mix it together first?  Thanks for educating me. 🙂

Either/or...  at home, I just add it separately to my salad and then mix it with the salad because I don't want to dirty another bowl, lol...  some people pre-mix it in jars.  Both work fine, I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

One night when we received our veggie selection, they were grilled and we didn’t even ask for it that way.  Since we don’t eat meat (just fish and seafood) we make a point of telling the Maître d and our waitstaff that we’d like lots of veggies at the beginning of our cruise.  Our waiter said they were grilled with olive oil, which is fine with us.  So, just put in a request for the following evening.

Thank you!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Either/or...  at home, I just add it separately to my salad and then mix it with the salad because I don't want to dirty another bowl, lol...  some people pre-mix it in jars.  Both work fine, I think.

I suggest to people to experiment with the ratio they prefer, by putting half and half in a small container. Then taste it and determine if you want more of the oil or vinegar. Then you will not waste a large batch of the ratios you do not like.

I do not use oil but do a dressing of 3 tbs. balsamic, 2 tbs. mustard, 1 tbs. real maple syrup.

You can change it up with different kinds of balsamic and mustard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, peanutter said:

Hi all.  I've seen some references made indicating the sugar free desserts contain aspartame. Just curious, is it certain they contain specifically aspartame or maybe this term is being used as a catch all for sugar substitutes?  The reason I ask is because I can eat that, but I can't have any sugar alcohols at all - it's a gut thing.  I never get them (sf desserts) onboard as I was not sure what substitute they used (and real sugar doesn't bother me, except for the extra calories!)  I will ask onboard in the future but just wondering if others had already confirmed this.  Thanks!

I wondered this too.  I can't tolerate aspartame, but other types of sugar substitutes don't seem to bother me.

28 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Thank you.

6 minutes ago, nini said:

I suggest to people to experiment with the ratio they prefer, by putting half and half in a small container. Then taste it and determine if you want more of the oil or vinegar. Then you will not waste a large batch of the ratios you do not like.

I do not use oil but do a dressing of 3 tbs. balsamic, 2 tbs. mustard, 1 tbs. real maple syrup.

You can change it up with different kinds of balsamic and mustard.

Thank you.

On 3/14/2023 at 2:24 PM, mbglib said:

This is going to sound uninformed and it is.  I have never used oil and vinegar.  Do you just put some of each on your salad or mix it together first?  Thanks for educating me. 🙂

At home I mix them together with seasonings, keep in refrigerator and just shake before adding to salad.  On the ship, I just add a little of each to the salad.  Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Just now, Happy2cruise said:

At home I mix them together with seasonings, keep in refrigerator and just shake before adding to salad.  On the ship, I just add a little of each to the salad.  Hope this helps!

Thank you.

47 minutes ago, mbglib said:

I wondered this too.  I can't tolerate aspartame, but other types of sugar substitutes don't seem to bother me.

Same here - always wanting to know what they use to make the desserts sugar free - some substitutes better than others and of course each individual may have a different sensitivity!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Related topic - I typically don't have dairy - but will have a bit of Lactose free milk or cream if desperate - can't have soy or nut milks - is there any oat milk or creamer anywhere on board?

I saw non-dairy milk at World Marketplace where they make coffee.  I’m pretty sure it was almond milk, but I may have seen oat milk too.  The headwaiter preparing my MDR dinners without dairy mentioned pistachio milk.  I don’t know if that exists outside the kitchen.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Related topic - I typically don't have dairy - but will have a bit of Lactose free milk or cream if desperate - can't have soy or nut milks - is there any oat milk or creamer anywhere on board?

Last time we sailed Princess they did not have oat milk.  Almond milk was available, so I made do with that.  Hopefully, I can get it on Regal in September.  Celebrity did have it last November, so perhaps Princess now has it, too.

• Like 1