Best Healthy Food Choices on Princess

mbglib

On 3/14/2023 at 7:10 PM, Camelia- said:

I’m intrigued by the steamed green veggies..would that be spinach and broccoli? I know bout the steamed veggies option but never thought of the greens! I love your list…I always make a habit of asking for sauce on the side so that I can control how much I use…

We ask for a side of steamed greens - and have received green beans, broccoli, spinach, a mix, sometimes carrots and green beans (so not all greens), brussel sprouts once or twice, etc. Sometimes the chef does saute them with a little garlic or other seasonings, but mainly just steamed or sauteed in a little oil (spinach)

Ask. The worst that happens is you get a no - but that would be extremely rare.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Froufie said:

Related topic - I typically don't have dairy - but will have a bit of Lactose free milk or cream if desperate - can't have soy or nut milks - is there any oat milk or creamer anywhere on board?

Another thought occurred to me - might the bars have coconut milk?  I’m not sure if that qualifies under nut milk heading.

18 hours ago, reedprincess said:

We ask for a side of steamed greens - and have received green beans, broccoli, spinach, a mix, sometimes carrots and green beans (so not all greens), brussel sprouts once or twice, etc. Sometimes the chef does saute them with a little garlic or other seasonings, but mainly just steamed or sauteed in a little oil (spinach)

Ask. The worst that happens is you get a no - but that would be extremely rare.  

Princess has a thing for squash and zucchini and eggplant. They’re the only veggies I won’t eat, so I just pick them out.  But if they’re your thing, you’re in luck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/13/2023 at 6:52 PM, mbglib said:

What do you think are the healthiest food choices on Princess?  Just looking for suggestions... Thank you.

The salad bar at lunch time & has many items to pick from.  Balsamic Vinegarette is delicious but they have other dressings also.  It's not like you have to put a ton of dressing  I usually get a piece of grilled chicken in the buffet also.  It's delicious.  There are many items at the International Cafe too.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sammyjoanne said:

Breakfast buffet definitely stay away from the muffins and donuts. They wink at me every day I went on the last cruise.

Lucky it's just a wink - they actually CALL MY NAME - out loud!!!  LOLOL (hard to stay away!) - hoping they do have smoked salmon on the breakfast buffet - one of my faves! 

• Haha 3

On 3/14/2023 at 9:52 AM, mbglib said:

What do you think are the healthiest food choices on Princess?  Just looking for suggestions... Thank you.

My favourite dinner (pre-Covid, I have not cruised since 2019) was to ask for a bowl of steamed veggies with extra broccoli, and a half portion of the fettuccine Alfredo - mixed together they made a really excellent meal, which felt a little indulgent but still sensible.  I know that FA has been taken off the favourites menu now but I believe that  you can order it ahead of time, so I planning to try that in July on the Enchanted.   I usually have the green salad as a starter - there are all sorts of entrees but hidden in there somewhere is usually one that is based on lettuce - with vinaigrette dressing.  And I always order a dessert but try to restrict myself to just a taste rather than the whole thing.  For breakfast, there is always an oat-based choice - granola or oatmeal in the MDR - and I would choose that with fruit and plain yoghurt to start my day, but usually once a week there will be Eggs Florentine in the main dining room so that's a special treat.  On days when I have room-service because of an early excursion, I would choose the cereal (those horrible little boxes but needs must) - they usually have raisin bran or muesli - with plain yoghurt and a banana. Now having read the posts above, I am going to up my game this year and try asking for berries - that never occurred to me before!   And for lunch on the ship, I would usually choose the soup and a salad.   I try to stay away from the buffet because it's all a little overwhelming and very easy to end up with a plate of hashbrowns and fried eggs on toast:  sticking to the MDR is a better option for me - it lessens the possibility of making poor choices.  You have to concentrate to find the healthier options but they are there and it's not difficult to eat well on board.  Enjoy!

Edited by trinitygirl
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, trinitygirl said:

My favourite dinner (pre-Covid, I have not cruised since 2019) was to ask for a bowl of steamed veggies with extra broccoli, and a half portion of the fettuccine Alfredo - mixed together they made a really excellent meal, which felt a little indulgent but still sensible.  I know that FA has been taken off the favourites menu now but I believe that  you can order it ahead of time, so I planning to try that in July on the Enchanted.   I usually have the green salad as a starter - there are all sorts of entrees but hidden in there somewhere is usually one that is based on lettuce - with vinaigrette dressing.  And I always order a dessert but try to restrict myself to just a taste rather than the whole thing.  For breakfast, there is always an oat-based choice - granola or oatmeal in the MDR - and I would choose that with fruit and plain yoghurt to start my day, but usually once a week there will be Eggs Florentine in the main dining room so that's a special treat.  On days when I have room-service because of an early excursion, I would choose the cereal (those horrible little boxes but needs must) - they usually have raisin bran or muesli - with plain yoghurt and a banana. Now having read the posts above, I am going to up my game this year and try asking for berries - that never occurred to me before!   And for lunch on the ship, I would usually choose the soup and a salad.   I try to stay away from the buffet because it's all a little overwhelming and very easy to end up with a plate of hashbrowns and fried eggs on toast:  sticking to the MDR is a better option for me - it lessens the possibility of making poor choices.  You have to concentrate to find the healthier options but they are there and it's not difficult to eat well on board.  Enjoy!

I don’t know if it’s healthy or not, but the poached eggs are perfectly done.  You would want to avoid the hash browns and ham steak on my plate.  My wife orders without the toast.

3B304D14-D25E-4544-B19B-0D2E9D93D8E3.jpeg

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, trinitygirl said:

Thank you.  Great ideas!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

I don’t know if it’s healthy or not, but the poached eggs are perfectly done.  You would want to avoid the hash browns and ham steak on my plate.  My wife orders without the toast.

I assume that, like everywhere these days, the poached eggs are bought in pre-cooked, and then just warmed up.

8 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Poached eggs on whole-wheat toast is very healthy!  Real eggs cooked with no fat….perfect!

• Like 1

Just now, wowzz said:

I assume that, like everywhere these days, the poached eggs are bought in pre-cooked, and then just warmed up.

Nope, I watch them crack an egg and put them in the egg poacher.  The real deal!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

They were hot and runny.  The menu also advises that it can take up to 15 minutes, which it did.  I’m guessing they were cooked on the ship.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BamaVol said:

they have got to be the most perfect poached eggs ive ever seen. when I do them they look like a splat on a piece of toast lol

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, sammyjoanne said:

they have got to be the most perfect poached eggs ive ever seen. when I do them they look like a splat on a piece of toast lol

They cook them in a mold.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nini said:

They cook them in a mold.

What I saw at the buffet was a small ring floating in water and the egg was cracked into the ring to hold the shape.  When the whites were solid the yolk was basted with water til cooked, but still runny.  Viola, poached eggs!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

What I saw at the buffet was a small ring floating in water and the egg was cracked into the ring to hold the shape.  When the whites were solid the yolk was basted with water til cooked, but still runny.  Viola, poached eggs!

We have something similar.  But, we either get runny yolks and snotty white, or cooked whites and solid yolks.

In the words of Toyah, "It's a mystery".