Is anyone else just totally over cruising? Rant on recent cruise (Independence), bad service, food, FLU

aimcat

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Interesting hypothesis: "If this is going to be the last splurge vacation for a while, I am not going to waste the time on a shopping experience I can get anywhere."

🤔

Word for word what my DW said about what we are seeing.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Interesting…we don’t shop because we don’t collect junk anymore and neither do Millennials or Gen Z.  They are more about experience than stuff.  I think that’s what you’re seeing.

On our last 3-4 cruises, the demographic just a few years south of dead, and not a lot of Millennials or Gen Z anywhere in ports either.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, orville99 said:

On our last 3-4 cruises, the demographic just a few years south of dead, and not a lot of Millennials or Gen Z anywhere in ports either.

The old saying Cruiser's are the Newlywed's and Nearly Deads. My sailings typically have 10-50 Kids at most. Last 10yrs me at 47-57 usually only 30% younger then me onboard. This as my Cruises are 10+ niters, Repo's, PC, and Fall-mid Dec Cruises on Radiance Class. Haven't been even on a Ship near 100% Capacity or over like most Royal Ships average in at least 20+ yrs. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, island lady said:

Have booked four other cruises with two different lines in the past couple of months, that after being "loyal to royal" for over 15 years now.  

What lines have you booked and how would you compare them to Royal?  Our last 2 cruises prior to our Wonder cruise 2 weeks ago were with Princess.  We enjoyed them, way less kids but they were Alaska and the California Coastal iteniraries so not as many kids as a spring Caribbean cruise.  

25 minutes ago, island lady said:

some of the rude attitudes (the "me first" types)

Sadly this "me first" attitude is prevalent just about everywhere. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

The old saying Cruiser's are the Newlywed's and Nearly Deads. My sailings typically have 10-50 Kids at most. Last 10yrs me at 47-57 usually only 30% younger then me onboard. This as my Cruises are 10+ niters, Repo's, PC, and Fall-mid Dec Cruises on Radiance Class. Haven't been even on a Ship near 100% Capacity or over like most Royal Ships average in at least 20+ yrs. 

Honestly, we are usually in our own little world having fun on a cruise, I hardly notice kids...unless they purposely try me 😠  And that's really never happened.  Adults...another thing.  Just the run in at the pool with the table and chair hogs and once on an elevator I just had to point out the limits on the sign because a lady insisted on squeezing in her whole family...I pointed to the sign and said..."Sorry full" and she got on without the others, she was ticked until she got off but everyone else was smiling!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, antsp said:

Last cruise on rccl I sailed on room was dirty, that was the last time, never again 

Just curious, but if that is true why are you posting here?  And...why didn't you just request your steward come in and clean again whilst you were there?  That's what I would've done.  I'm pretty unflappable...mostly.  It's rudeness I find most intolerable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

What lines have you booked and how would you compare them to Royal?  Our last 2 cruises prior to our Wonder cruise 2 weeks ago were with Princess.  We enjoyed them, way less kids but they were Alaska and the California Coastal iteniraries so not as many kids as a spring Caribbean cruise.  

Sadly this "me first" attitude is prevalent just about everywhere. 

My signature shows my booked cruises.  No way to honestly first hand compare the other lines until we actually sail with them, but the lines we have booked, should be a step up from the "mass market" cruising.  

Have 3 week river cruise coming up as next cruise with Viking.  Also have a B2B river cruise with American Queen...then later on we have 45 days with Viking doing Australia, NZ, Taz, and SP.  

Viking is no kids.  

10 hours ago, ibyte2eat said:

I've been tired of the RCL crap for some time.  Im a pinnicle level now and so Im invested and pretty much forced to cruise on RCL.  Since I started cruising in 1999, things have changed so much.  The staff is so incompetent.

WOW!  I just don't understand why you are still cruising them if this is the way you really feel.  If you totally leave, can I have your points? LOL

• Haha 2

Just now, BecciBoo said:

WOW!  I just don't understand why you are still cruising them if this is the way you really feel.  If you totally leave, can I have your points? LOL

I am not much longer....and no...you can't.  😉 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I'll be in the ground before I get to Pinnacle! 😆

Oh gosh no....never say the "never" word.  We did...and have been Pinnies for a couple of years now.  😉 

Though...so ironic, now we want to do other lines.  😄 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

@island lady

It's all fun and games until someone wants to touch your cruise points!   😧😡🤬

LOL...it's not like I will never cruise with RCI again...will simply keep it to an occasional few local cruises out of our home port.  Those points don't expire!  😉 

18 minutes ago, island lady said:

Oh gosh no....never say the "never" word.  We did...and have been Pinnies for a couple of years now.  😉 

Though...so ironic, now we want to do other lines.  😄 

As soon as the train starts running so will we. So many more options out of FLL and Miami.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Cruise out of Baltimore or NJ.  Lots of families year round, even on the longer cruises and they're sold out every trip.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BND said:

Cruise out of Baltimore or NJ.  Lots of families year round, even on the longer cruises and they're sold out every trip.

This presumes one actually wants to cruise on a ship full of kids😇

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BND said:

Lucky you. For a Decade did Boston-Florida, doing reverse this Sept. But no starting 20+ yrs ago started taking my then 2-8 yr olds for yrs. Kool thing at time was Royal gave a pager while my Kids were in the program incase I was needed. Was good thing as a Single Parent with 3 Kids onboard. But yeah been since at least 90's was on a 100% Full ship and at least 20+ yrs had more then 50 Kids onboard

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I could be wrong as west coast seems to have bargains more so than other ports. .. but $99 .. I havent seen a cruise for $99

I was on a cruise back in Sept where we brought two grand kids.  I intended to book two interiors instead of our usual balcony.  They were priced at $99.  I ended up booking 2 connecting promenade view interiors for $125.  It was a 3 day out of LA on Navigator.  Maybe I was just lucky but those cabins were a good deal.  

Edited by Tree_skier

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

My newly booked cruises...all involve flights to elsewhere land.  😉 

That's the tough part with me, Airfare, I currently have 11 one way Flights already purchased for May-Oct with 3 more to get for Nov-Dec

7 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I was on a cruise back in Sept where we brought two grand kids.  I intended to book two interiors instead of our usual balcony.  They were priced at $99 pppd.  I ended up booking 2 connecting promenade view interiors for $125 pppd.  It was a 3 day out of LA on Navigator.  Maybe I was just lucky but those cabins were a good deal.  

Agree, for months was usually a Cruise or 2 running $99-$129(plus Tax). Cheapest I Booked was right after 9/11 when they were giving Cruises away get people to return. A 5nite in OV for $9ea +Tax

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

I was on a cruise back in Sept where we brought two grand kids.  I intended to book two interiors instead of our usual balcony.  They were priced at $99.  I ended up booking 2 connecting promenade view interiors for $125.  It was a 3 day out of LA on Navigator.  Maybe I was just lucky but those cabins were a good deal.  

Right I've heard of deals out of the west coast but not other ports so much. That's what I said Calif had some deals for cheap, dont see them out if texas or florida. Watching Galveston and now port Canaveral where I hope to move. $100 a day next sept is best I've found in the last months out of texas. That's with my discounts thrown in or the price would be higher.

Demand must be high as prices keep going up. 

If someone finds a $99 deal on cruisefare, please post a thread as deal alert. 

• Like 1