Passport requirements on trans Panama cruise

JudiinMt

1 hour ago, crazycatlady82 said:

That’s what I keep telling them but man, they keep arguing with me that an enhanced drivers license due to the western hemisphere travel whatever is good enough. I keep saying, don’t trust the cruise line, call CBP. It’s their money though. 

You are such a good friend.  You've done everything you can do.  Give up/throw in the towel/let go and have a wonderful cruise without your friends.

Literally, you can lead a horse to water...

Story:  4th of July parade on the East Coast.  Blazing temperatures (near 90 - 100).  My daughter dismounted her pony, led it over to a barrel of water, pulled the bit down, dunked mouth into barrel....no go...repeat.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, crazycatlady82 said:

That’s what I keep telling them but man, they keep arguing with me that an enhanced drivers license due to the western hemisphere travel whatever is good enough. I keep saying, don’t trust the cruise line, call CBP. It’s their money though. 

I woukd make sure that you have not book any private excursions with your friends.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I woukd make sure that you have not book any private excursions with your friends.  

They’re not my friends-just random people on the upcoming cruise that I was trying to help. My husband questions why I was trying to help lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, crazycatlady82 said:

Do they actually have an "Enhanced Driver's License" or just the new Real ID one.  They are not the same.  Last I checked there were pnly 5 states with the Enhanced DL.

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

Do they actually have an "Enhanced Driver's License" or just the new Real ID one.  They are not the same.  Last I checked there were pnly 5 states with the Enhanced DL.

It doesn't matter for this purpose.  A cruise that's not closed loop requires a passport book. An EDL (and even a passport card) would only work for a closed loop cruise (that doesn't require a passport book for another reason).

• Like 1

I know that this does not matter since passengers NEED a passport.  Posting this so people do not confuse “enhance” with Real ID.

Enhanced IDs are currently only available to residents of the following states:
  • Michigan.
  • Minnesota.
  • New York.
  • Vermont.
  • Washington.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

It doesn't matter for this purpose.  A cruise that's not closed loop requires a passport book. An EDL (and even a passport card) would only work for a closed loop cruise (that doesn't require a passport book for another reason).

Apparently he has an EDL and thinks it’s the same as a passport and doesn’t seem to know the difference between an EDL/passport card and a passport. All I know is that I had to get a passport book for the previous repositioning cruise I did (and almost exact same itinerary). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Well, one thing is for sure:  when they are denied boarding, they won’t come back to that forum and report their mistake.  But they might come here and do a first post rant…. EM

Probably in the Need Help Using the Forums? forum. LOL. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Well, one thing is for sure:  when they are denied boarding, they won’t come back to that forum and report their mistake.  But they might come here and do a first post rant…. EM

@crazycatlady82 Are they following this thread or relying on you to report back to them?  I’d send them a link and then stop being the middle man that they can blame when they are denied boarding.  

42 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@crazycatlady82 Are they following this thread or relying on you to report back to them?  I’d send them a link and then stop being the middle man that they can blame when they are denied boarding.  

Their last comment to me was “this is annoying” so I stopped engaging. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazycatlady82 said:

Their last comment to me was “this is annoying” so I stopped engaging. 

Good choice! I suspect that they will find it even more annoying if they go and get turned away at the port 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

While it *sounds* like this person is really serious and just refuses to "believe"...are you sure he's not just yanking your chain?  He may be getting a big kick out of the hoopla!

I was thinking the same as you or that they the type who won’t admit publicly they are wrong but will get a passport. 

On 3/15/2023 at 3:48 PM, JudiinMt said:

I've searched the boards for this exact situation, read the Princess website and called Princess.  Friends that are meeting us in LA for the trans-canal trip on 4/1 just realized that their passports are going to expire in August.   They are not willing to use an expedited service to re-new due to the cost.

This is all a mute point since it is too late to get an expedient passport (even when the OP first posted a few weeks ago).

I hope "friends" bought good insurance (cancel for ANY reason) or finds a "medical" reason to cancel before the cruise begins in a couple of weeks.  

It is highly unlikely that this couple will get on the ship.  I will be utterly surprised.  @JudiinMt Please let us know if you will be cruising alone. 

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

While it *sounds* like this person is really serious and just refuses to "believe"...are you sure he's not just yanking your chain?  He may be getting a big kick out of the hoopla!

He’s still trying to prove he’s right…even though nobody is engaging with him on it at this point. He even made the comment that the cruise line has to follow their own guidance. I really think he believes he’s right.

3 hours ago, crazycatlady82 said:

He’s still trying to prove he’s right…even though nobody is engaging with him on it at this point. He even made the comment that the cruise line has to follow their own guidance. I really think he believes he’s right.

I assume he hasn’t read his booking confirmation or travel summary.