Is MSC losing some of it's value appeal?

Stockjock

My GF and I mostly do MSC out of Europe and only once out of Miami.  I've long felt that MSC offers a nice value proposition, especially when one includes drink packages and such.

But I've noticed that some of their prices have increased.  Trying to fill in some available time for 2024 and generally, prices seems to have increased quite a lot to the point that they don't seem to be the nearly value that they were, and in some cases, an inferior value to some of the competition.

Anyone else notice this?  Perhaps prices will subside a bit if there's still a lot of excess capacity as we get closer to the sailing dates.

Edited by Stockjock

No.   I cancelled an identical cruise with another ex-UK cruise line because it was three times the price of the MSC one.   Identical cabin and almost identical itinerary.  I can live with the MSC idiosyncrasies, especially compared to some of the cut backs and frustrating implementations going on with the other company.

• Like 3

Prices for cruises from the US are higher on all cruise lines, including MSC. MSC still offers a better value than the other lines in most cases, but not as much as a year ago. The great deals on solo rates are getting harder to find as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I see diminished value on most cruises I've looked into lately.   To me, MSC's YC prices now exceed what I'm willing to pay for their current overall experience.  I've spotted a couple fleeting deals on MSC sailings about a month or so out but didn't work with my schedule.  What often ends up killing any MSC bookings for me is the dismal itineraries, especially from the US.  

I actually sailed NCL Haven again this year and while there were irritating cutbacks compared to my last NCL sailing in 2016 it was a better value than what MSC offered.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stockjock said:

My GF and I mostly do MSC out of Europe and only once out of Miami.  I've long felt that MSC offers a nice value proposition, especially when one includes drink packages and such.

But I've noticed that some of their prices have increased.  Trying to fill in some available time for 2024 and generally, prices seems to have increased quite a lot to the point that they don't seem to be the nearly value that they were, and in some cases, an inferior value to some of the competition.

Anyone else notice this?  Perhaps prices will subside a bit if there's still a lot of excess capacity as we get closer to the sailing dates.

I have here in the states. Quite a bit of difference just from a year ago. Last year there wasn't much difference in price for the drink package included. Maybe little over $100pp. Now it's over $200pp.

I just booked the Seashore for next April and passed on the drink package. I did get it for our June cruise coming up.

What I have noticed:  MSC has in the last year or so attempted to increase their base price (i.e. the lowest cost per person per night, typically seen on off-season or repositioning cruises) from GBP30 to GBP50 (inc DSC, but without a drinks package).  However in the last month they have gone back to GBP35 a night for some cruises in April (that I assume are poorly booked), indicating the challenge in filling ships at a higher price.

In the last 3 years we were treated to some very good prices (on all cruise lines), and now we are back to a smaller selection of bargains, typically offered last minute.  Personally I don't feel prices are much higher than they were before the pandemic, for the cruises I am looking at. 

This is the best value cruise I could find today on MSC:  5 nights (repositioning) on MSC Virtuosa for €251 per person including easy drink packet and gratuities.   

image.png.92ed736451cee394beded74840c8e415.png

This is a last minute offer, only recently made available likely for a poorly booked cruise.  During the pandemic I booked many similar cruises for this price months in advance, but now (like before the pandemic) the choice is a lot smaller and only for last minute cruises.

Edited by 8420PR
  • Like 1

I'm now looking into a cruise for the summer of 2024, and MSC is surely on my list. But I have indeed noticed that where they used to be way cheaper than any of the competition, their prices have gone up significantly when I compare to what I've paid before. I'm now leaning more towards AIDA, who are just a little bit more expensive, but have drinks during meal times included and charge no gratuities. Costa seems to be even less expensive than MSC, but their product doesn't really appeal to me.

I did notice that out side of school vacations (no option for us, since we have a school going child) the prices of MSC are much less than during school vacations. The difference for AIDA seems to be less.

6 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I have here in the states. Quite a bit of difference just from a year ago. Last year there wasn't much difference in price for the drink package included. Maybe little over $100pp. Now it's over $200pp.

I just booked the Seashore for next April and passed on the drink package. I did get it for our June cruise coming up.

I agree with this. Looking at cruises in 2024 and with the drink package the cruises I am looking at are are $400 more per person with the drink package than without. 

With the itineraries being so bad and the drink packages going up so much, we might be doing a land vacation.

• Like 1

I think every cruise line is dealing with the losses from the forced shutdown, as well as staffing issues from running nearly empty ships to overbooked ones.  I am hopeful these problems will smooth out in the weeks ahead.  As far as price, the constant launching of new and bigger ships creates a lot of competition and will help drive prices down.

6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Because cruise prices have increased a lot, I'm now starting to look at land-based trips a bit more.  Won't stop cruising, but I might mix things up a bit due to these price increases.

Here too. No spring/easter cruise for us this time, the prices are way too high. And the MSC prices for summer are "amazing", not to talk about the others. But I am optimistic that there will be good offers again for October/November. 

I’ve just booked a great value cruise on Musica for next October - grats and PremXtra included - for a similar price to what I would have paid for a similar booking 3-4 years ago.  Fabulous itinerary, too, with 3 POCs we haven’t been to, yet.  That’s saying something for a Med cruise, of which we’ve done many!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, KennyFla said:

When I browse the MSC website, they still have rock bottom prices.  Especially for 2024.

\We just booked last night on an 11 night cruise for April 2024.  While we got a very good price, we did book an inside cabin with no drink package. If we wanted an oceanview that was $340 more pp, or a balcony, that was $620 more pp.

I'm good with an inside and I'll buy my drinks as I go as we don't drink more than a couple drinks per day. It was a toss up. Inside cabin or stay home. lol

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 7:05 AM, 8420PR said:

This is the best value cruise I could find today on MSC:  5 nights (repositioning) on MSC Virtuosa for €251 per person including easy drink packet and gratuities.   

image.png.92ed736451cee394beded74840c8e415.png

This is a last minute offer, only recently made available likely for a poorly booked cruise.  During the pandemic I booked many similar cruises for this price months in advance, but now (like before the pandemic) the choice is a lot smaller and only for last minute cruises.

Next winter northern Europe UK options are not a lot more than this winter and the odd date only £25-£50pp more than this year's late low prices(7n premium drinks and tips IB went down to £470pp, £500 was on more dates)

the coming year should be interesting as covid has mostly subsided & people are more willing to travel.

I've sailed MSC several times & enjoy the product. 

As far as pricing I would not expect the rock bottom prices that were offered the last year or so.  Funny thing is that people are expecting Ritz Carlton experiences at Holiday Inn prices.  In March there are carib cruises out of Miami selling for less than $100 a day per person plus port charges.  Where can a person go for that price in a new facility w all the choices including at least 3 meals a day???  Has anyone gone to Disney World or a hotel in Ft Lauderdale lately?

My draw is the sea & even after too many cruises to count starting in the 1970's I'll return to sea. I've never sailed Carnival but tried Norwegian & RCCL - never again.  I dress nicely but the tux etc stays home unless I have a black tie affair.

This is not the 1950's w all the panache of a great ocean liner - it is a modern cruise on a ship built to carry thousands of passengers - I no longer expect to meet the captain & officers and have cocktails and dinner with them - I just want them to be well trained, educated.

MSC offers a multitude of entertainment options - if the food is not to your expectations then try Silversea or Viking.

Its a business & MSC delivers a good product at a very good price & certainly allows a great many passengers an opportunity to travel at affordable prices they can afford.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Richard@Sea has summed up my feelings to a tee!  We have been on many cruises on Regent Seven Seas.  Also have enjoyed dozens of vacations on NCL and Princess.  However, once we discovered  MSC we found like we'd found our "Home".  If "luxury" is what we want, we choose Yacht Club.  If we're just looking for a good price, we have that choice as well.  We fully realize we will get the experience of our choice...and what we've paid for.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 11:32 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

I noticed the same thing. Pricing has indeed increased for US sailings. Great deals for sailings I like are definitely less right now. 

On 3/16/2023 at 1:09 PM, Beamafar said:

I’ve just booked a great value cruise on Musica for next October - grats and PremXtra included - for a similar price to what I would have paid for a similar booking 3-4 years ago.  Fabulous itinerary, too, with 3 POCs we haven’t been to, yet.  That’s saying something for a Med cruise, of which we’ve done many!

OK, checked it and booked it. The price is crazy !!! The itinerary is even better, if MSC would let me decide a route in the Med for them I guess I could not do better. Places I most happily visit again PLUS 2 new POC for me PLUS a new country with Cyprus.

And the best, I can fit it in the autumn school holidays, both kids pay NOTHING except 50% of the gratuities. And the cruise hits a kids birthday, so I even can hand over this burden to MSC 😄 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, perakcruiser said:

OK, checked it and booked it. The price is crazy !!! The itinerary is even better, if MSC would let me decide a route in the Med for them I guess I could not do better. Places I most happily visit again PLUS 2 new POC for me PLUS a new country with Cyprus.

And the best, I can fit it in the autumn school holidays, both kids pay NOTHING except 50% of the gratuities. And the cruise hits a kids birthday, so I even can hand over this burden to MSC 😄 

That’s terrific, P.  What’s your embarkation date?  Ours is Oct 15th. 

MSC has given up its Italian influence on most ships. I cruised with them when they would do an opera night. I guess that didn't go over well with the North and South Americans.

I've discovered that the ships are very different, and you can't really say anything for sure. For example, in 2019, the announcements were in SEVEN languages on the Grandiosa (we had 2,000 Chinese guests aboard). This past Jan and Feb, there were four languages.  I just disembarked yesterday, and only English was spoken on the announcements, probably because 95% of the passengers were from the USA and Canada.  The Divina was very crowded, and they did not have enough seating on the pool deck. The Meraviglia had lots of seating, with the ship also at capacity. The Divina had an angry vibe with the passengers (a fight also broke out on the pool deck), and the Meravigilia had perhaps the most pleasant group I've ever traveled with.  Lots of conversations with strangers, no fights.  Night and day.

Edited by Markanddonna

34 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

That’s terrific, P.  What’s your embarkation date?  Ours is Oct 15th. 

Two weeks later. So if you write here about your trip I will take detailed notes. I am only familiar with Santorin, it will be my fourth time here. Kusadasi I have been 20 years plus before but not with a cruise ship.