En Route with Hank in Japan and the Westerdam

Hlitner

You certainly have me concerned!  The Step One Dancers are very talented but maybe dancing is not the best entertainment for the rough waters of the Pacific Ocean.  We are booked for the 28 day Alaska Summer Solstice cruise in June of 2024, I am hoping HAL has some great location related entertainment planned for us.  No more Step One or BBC, please.  

Who is the Captain of this cruise and who is responsible for the “vibe” onboard?   Who is your Cruise Director?  Is there an entertainment coordinator?  It seems like the entertainment staff  should be trying harder to keep people engaged around the ship.  

Several years ago we sailed FL to SD on the Westerdam.  The cruise seemed somewhat free wheeling to me.  Now-a-days the Westerdam has been described as the Testerdam (testing new concepts).  This current experiment of shutting things down early doesn’t seem to be working for the active adult passengers.

I’m hoping for improvements in the on-board experience within the next year.  

Edited by oaktreerb

2 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

This has me thinking about a solution to the lack of entertainment.  Perhaps HAL should solicit acts from among the passengers who could work for free lobster tails.  

That's a great start.  Next HAL could offer a "Be It All" package, where passengers get an unlimited audition pass.  Back are the shows, and even a play or musical by the end of a 14 night cruise.  The ships could even compete against each other to see who has the best talent, and the winning ship gets a victory toast.

Carnival used to have amateur talent shows years ago for passengers who would practice their acts and then perform on stage near the end of the cruise for I believe better prizes than their usual ship on a stick. HAL had the ships competing against each other back during their Dancing With The Stars promotion about a decade ago.

14 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

Hey at least their Uber Captain has got them to most of the faraway places that were advertised.🙂

Is your post #570 inaccurate?  Just curious if I made false assumptions.  Really thought Chef Jaques Torres was on board and doing demonstrations.  I cannot imagine that the captain did not do the best he could with weather conditions.  Really hoping that OP will make the best of his cruise.  And we all know that HAL is not in his future. The good news is that there are cruise lines for everyone.  JMO. Cherie 

Sorry I thought your post referred to the Westerdam, and possibly OP would be able to enjoy other demos during his cruise.  My mistake. The Zaandam is listed on Chef Torres' schedule from April 18-29.  I'm really not interested in the cooking demos for this year on HAL, just what pertains to this cruise since Op is unhappy.  I don't see the Westerdam on the schedule.     Cherie

Edited by cccole

7 minutes ago, cccole said:

And this has nothing to do with this Westerdam cruise.  It proves there are cooking demos on other ships but not the Westerdam.  Lucky for those on the Zaandam. Cherie

No it has nothing to do with the Westerdam cruise but it shows that HAL has not totally abandoned successful programs as some people feel they have on their ships that were started pre covid and hopefully will continue.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Welcome to the world of HAL where customers have little clue as to what they get on any specific cruise.  Consider we had a terrific Lincoln Center group in March but have had nothing but a dark room for the past 3 weeks.

No cooking demos on this ship, no crew shows. Little entertainment, etc.  We will be sticking to cruise lines that deliver a more predictable product

Hank, I’m curious which line(s) you think may deliver a better product.  I don’t have a lot of experience with different lines, so just asking your opinion.  Also, thanks for all of the information.  We are booked on the Westerdam next year, and since I’ve never been to Japan, it has all been very helpful.  

1 hour ago, KimCHouston said:

Hank, I’m curious which line(s) you think may deliver a better product.  I don’t have a lot of experience with different lines, so just asking your opinion.  Also, thanks for all of the information.  We are booked on the Westerdam next year, and since I’ve never been to Japan, it has all been very helpful.  

While I I understand that much can be subjective, we have been very pleased with both Seabourn and MSCs Yacht Club.  While Princess has also had its own cut-back issues, we thought our most recent Enchanted Princess experience was far better than what we are now experiencing here on the Westerdam.  

We have also had good reports ( from reliable friends) that Oceania, Viking and Azamara continue to offer decent products.  Our only future bookings for this year include both Princess and the new Explora Journeys.  No more HAL in our future, nor will there be until they get their act together.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Hlitner, you had a previous post comparing the dancing prowess of an elderly couple with that of a the Young Step Dancers.

We used to go to dances and get instruction from Jackie Horner who was still doing a mean tango well into her 80s. In case you have never heard of her (you probably have not), she was an advisor to the movie Dirty Dancing, and in fact the writer of the movie who the character Baby is based on was one of her dance students.

Here is a column written in remembrance of her after her death. She was a truly elegant lady, in the best sense of the word lady.

A remembrance of Jackie Horner, Catskills legend (recordonline.com)

Back in our cabin at 10:45, as all the live entertainment has ended.  Today, as predicted, our first crossing sea day brought us some nasty seas (perhaps as high as 15 foot). The ship has been rocking and rolling and we have heard many passengers are sea sick. Even our favorite Rolling Stone Band, had to stop their third set due to some seasickness within the group.  

There are some predictions that the rough seas might be an issue for the next several days, so we hope many of these folks can adjust to the conditions.  Tonight was a dressy night with a decent MDR menu.  We had our usual pre dinner cocktails and weaved our way to the MDR about 7:30.  As usual, we asked to share a table and we’re led to one of the center aft tables (for 6) that are difficult because there is no room to get into several of the seats.  With the MDR only about 1/2 full we rebelled and finally said no to these aft tables where the Azipod noise is loud and seating difficult.  We were quickly offered a much nicer table for 4 and were joined with by a delightful couple from Lake Tahoe.

After an enjoyable 2 hour dinner, the other couple headed to the Main Stage for the 9:30 Contare Show.  Since DW and I had already seen that show (twice) we. Went to the Rolling Stone Lounge where the audience of about 10 got to hear a wonderful Blues set (before the band lost some members due to mal de mer).

We expect another rough day tomorrow, and DW and I will do what we do best which is to relax in the Crows Nest with our Kindles, phones, and drinks.  There are the usual sea day activities (for those who like activities) and a new lecturer who will be talking about Albert Einstein.

This may be a very long week for those that do not tolerate moving ships.  That is always a risk (especially with any crossing) and it is part of cruising.  

Regarding cuisine, the menu items are quite repetitive and eatable.  Since embarkation on 3/27, DW and I have never had to send a meal back.  I think the galley does a pretty good job, given the raw ingredients and company policy regarding quality.  That being said, I do eat a lot better at home :).  It all fits into my basic description of today’s HAL as being “OK.”

Hank

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

...  No more HAL in our future, nor will there be until they get their act together.

Hank

@Hlitner Hank -- I have been following your blog with interest. Your approach to port activities is a great primer for most of us. And your writing and descriptions are terrific. Thank you so much for taking us along.

Your comment regarding future cruise line choices resonated in this house. Ten years ago, when we were avid Celebrity customers when we sailed from Shanghai to Alaska. It was a horrible experience and tainted us in our cruise line choices going forward.. We encountered exhausted customer-facing staff near the end of their contracts, missing food/drink items, poor service, a general lack of management presence, among other things. One vignette to demonstrate: at dinner in the Olympic Restaurant (then the only specialty dining), we were presented with an 'Amuse Bouche' by the chef. It consisted of a small Melba Round cracker with a schmeer of plain cream cheese. Needless to say, we were not amused.

Apparently, a lot of other passengers felt the same way and shared those feelings on the post-cruise guest survey. The company hired some consultants to follow up on the surveys. I spent more than 45 minutes on the phone with them, discussing not only the shortcomings we experience but also to highlight some things we thought were done well or very well. Our traveling companions from CA had a similar follow-up experience.

And then? Crickets.

We did do a 7-day Caribbean cruise with X after that and it was good. But the damage was done and we have not booked with X again. We have often wondered if other people on that sailing acted in a similar manner.

It is interesting to me that your experience, like ours, was on a trans-Pacific repositioning cruise at the end of a season.

We would love to try Seaborn; however, our banker has differing thoughts, LOL.

If you do not to book with HAL again, it will definitely be their loss. Also, it will be a loss for those of on on the CC HAL board who enjoy reading your threads.

Wishing you many wonderful cruises in the future,

-Cat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Back in our cabin at 10:45, as all the live entertainment has ended.  Today, as predicted, our first crossing sea day brought us some nasty seas (perhaps as high as 15 foot). The ship has been rocking and rolling and we have heard many passengers are sea sick. Even our favorite Rolling Stone Band, had to stop their third set due to some seasickness within the group.  

There are some predictions that the rough seas might be an issue for the next several days, so we hope many of these folks can adjust to the conditions.  Tonight was a dressy night with a decent MDR menu.  We had our usual pre dinner cocktails and weaved our way to the MDR about 7:30.  As usual, we asked to share a table and we’re led to one of the center aft tables (for 6) that are difficult because there is no room to get into several of the seats.  With the MDR only about 1/2 full we rebelled and finally said no to these aft tables where the Azipod noise is loud and seating difficult.  We were quickly offered a much nicer table for 4 and were joined with by a delightful couple from Lake Tahoe.

After an enjoyable 2 hour dinner, the other couple headed to the Main Stage for the 9:30 Contare Show.  Since DW and I had already seen that show (twice) we. Went to the Rolling Stone Lounge where the audience of about 10 got to hear a wonderful Blues set (before the band lost some members due to mal de mer).

We expect another rough day tomorrow, and DW and I will do what we do best which is to relax in the Crows Nest with our Kindles, phones, and drinks.  There are the usual sea day activities (for those who like activities) and a new lecturer who will be talking about Albert Einstein.

This may be a very long week for those that do not tolerate moving ships.  That is always a risk (especially with any crossing) and it is part of cruising.  

Regarding cuisine, the menu items are quite repetitive and eatable.  Since embarkation on 3/27, DW and I have never had to send a meal back.  I think the galley does a pretty good job, given the raw ingredients and company policy regarding quality.  That being said, I do eat a lot better at home :).  It all fits into my basic description of today’s HAL as being “OK.”

Hank

Thanks for your reporting! 
We board the Westerdam May 7 , B2B Alaska. So disappointed in the state of the ship & food! As 5 Star mariners it’s sad to hear HAL has gone down  hill! The crew always was so kind and helpful, hope that continues. 
Welcome all your reports and safe travels in the rolling seas! 
K & J 

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

While I I understand that much can be subjective, we have been very pleased with both Seabourn and MSCs Yacht Club.  While Princess has also had its own cut-back issues, we thought our most recent Enchanted Princess experience was far better than what we are now experiencing here on the Westerdam.  

We have also had good reports ( from reliable friends) that Oceania, Viking and Azamara continue to offer decent products.  Our only future bookings for this year include both Princess and the new Explora Journeys.  No more HAL in our future, nor will there be until they get their act together.

Hank

Good list!  I would opine that all those lines listed are considered Luxury lines (except MSC, but the Yacht Club, like NCL The Haven, is definitely a Luxury experience).  I would not consider HAL to be in that same group, but closer to Princess and Celebrity in the Premium line group.  So comparing apples to apples, which HAL contemporary would you recommend, Princess?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, KimCHouston said:

As Hank says, it's subjective and depends on what you are looking for. We will be on the "new" r/t Voyage next year to Japan as its the itinerary we look for first. We are not late night folks but did enjoy the old shows HAL used to have in the main stage (which they had planned to change - for the worst in our opinion- before the shutdown). We hope they don't have Step One, Cantare and BBC still as their "entertainment" , especially with 25+ days off land. 

After choosing itinerary, for us its about value or price for what you get. MSC Yacht Club is (was according to some) a great value and blows HAL away in food and service. The main shows are good to great and the other venues have music/entertainment (many with recorded accompanied music which we don't prefer) but more options than HAL. But we don't like the size of the ships (over 3k passengers and 16+ decks) and the rest of the MSC ship doesn’t excite us (wouldnt sail outside Yacht Club). Celebrity Retreat and NCL Haven are nice but if you listen to some - not any longer. We hear complaints from long time HAL, MSC, Celebrity, etc cruisers so it's hard to extrapolate which one works for everyone. If you read the blogs for the current GWC, you'll get 12 different opinions on how that cruise is going.

Besides listening to others complain about changes (which happens every year) while onboard, the experience that Hank presents definitely creates problems for HAL to retain passengers. Maybe a summary of his blog can be sent to Seattle, but will it change anything? HAL has alot of new cruisers loving the Pinnacle ships, but unless it's a "Grand" Voyage, HAL has dropped the ball on the older class ships, especially when many passengers do B2B. Why can other lines do what HAL seems to miss? Hopefully that will change with Gus and debt reduction for CCL. But maybe their 5 year plan is to rid us aging/loyal passengers (along with the older ships) and "rebrand". 

Now is the time to search your bucket lists (and checkbook) and experiment with different lines based on where you want to go and what you can afford. Get a good TA that works with all lines to help sort it out while prices are still lower. Prices are going up as training, protocols and supply management gets better (?) and more (and younger) passengers book. You'll be in a better position to decide what you like after the dust settles over the next few years. 

Hank, thank you for keeping us updated as it fairly captures the current tribulations of your HAL cruise. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, REOVA said:

As Hank says, it's subjective and depends on what you are looking for. We will be on the "new" r/t Voyage next year to Japan as its the itinerary we look for first. 

Like you, DH Dave and I also place high value on itinerary--as well as accommodations--so I would be grateful for info about the "new" r/t Voyage you mentioned (cruiseline, ship, dates). 

Many thanks,

Mart-Lou

("Dr. FUN")

35 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Good list!  I would opine that all those lines listed are considered Luxury lines (except MSC, but the Yacht Club, like NCL The Haven, is definitely a Luxury experience).  I would not consider HAL to be in that same group, but closer to Princess and Celebrity in the Premium line group.  So comparing apples to apples, which HAL contemporary would you recommend, Princess?

Since November of 2022 (just 6 months ago) I sailed NCL Bliss Haven in November, Discovery Princess Suite in December and NCL Encore Haven in February. My most recent HAL was July on the Rotterdam where like Hank it was just OK, sadly I expected better being their flag ship and sailing from Amsterdam. NCL Haven just cannot compare to HAL Neptune totally night and day difference. I do not have any experience with MSC Yacht Club. Our NCL Haven in February was after they started some of their cut backs but to be honest it really did not change how we felt about NCL and friends traveling with us not in the Haven totally agreed. I will say that I enjoyed our Suite on Discovery Princess and felt some cut backs but over all their Suite experience was slightly better than HAL.Although their speciality dining is on par with HAL which to me in quality is not much better than main dining rooms and definitely not as good as speciality dining on NCL. The one thing that we were offered on Princess was their 360 Dining which was totally amazing and beat anything I have ever done on any cruise ship. So at least Princess has that going for them. I think with their new class of ship coming out they see the light of what they need to do. But if they can get it done on all their ships is another thing.   

• Like 2

For those of us who don't sail in suites and don't like larger ships, things are looking grim in the world of mass market cruising. 

As a solo traveler I believe that in future I will have to be a very diligent searcher for deals (e.g. solo supplement reductions) in order to sail on the lines that still maintain decent smaller ships. Or just cruise less.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Since November of 2022 (just 6 months ago) I sailed NCL Bliss Haven in November, Discovery Princess Suite in December and NCL Encore Haven in February. My most recent HAL was July on the Rotterdam where like Hank it was just OK, sadly I expected better being their flag ship and sailing from Amsterdam. NCL Haven just cannot compare to HAL Neptune totally night and day difference. I do not have any experience with MSC Yacht Club. Our NCL Haven in February was after they started some of their cut backs but to be honest it really did not change how we felt about NCL and friends traveling with us not in the Haven totally agreed. I will say that I enjoyed our Suite on Discovery Princess and felt some cut backs but over all their Suite experience was slightly better than HAL.Although their speciality dining is on par with HAL which to me in quality is not much better than main dining rooms and definitely not as good as speciality dining on NCL. The one thing that we were offered on Princess was their 360 Dining which was totally amazing and beat anything I have ever done on any cruise ship. So at least Princess has that going for them. I think with their new class of ship coming out they see the light of what they need to do. But if they can get it done on all their ships is another thing.   

I agree!  Did a wonderful NCL Haven cruise last December and a Princess S4 Suite cruise last May. We love Princess and have done most of our cruising there, which is why I believe HAL will be close in some aspects.  Neither can compare to what you get in The Haven, but I do hope the new Sphere class of ship (that is a big ship!) will help rectify this "Ship within a Ship" luxury component that we loved on NCL.  Our August Alaska cruise was originally a Princess cruise (Discovery, CC Mini) but I found a fantastic deal on a Neptune suite for cheaper that I convinced my wife to try HAL again after more than a decade.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

I agree!  Did a wonderful NCL Haven cruise last December and a Princess S4 Suite cruise last May. We love Princess and have done most of our cruising there, which is why I believe HAL will be close in some aspects.  Neither can compare to what you get in The Haven, but I do hope the new Sphere class of ship (that is a big ship!) will help rectify this "Ship within a Ship" luxury component that we loved on NCL.  Our August Alaska cruise was originally a Princess cruise (Discovery, CC Mini) but I found a fantastic deal on a Neptune suite for cheaper that I convinced my wife to try HAL again after more than a decade.  

Sadly it kind of does boil down to pricing/money. We came home from our NCL cruise in February wanting to go back to the Encore Haven for Alaska. I placed a Haven Courtyard suite on hold and planng to book it the following day. But then that next morning thought before I do that let me check what HAL has for Neptune and what Discovery Princess S 4 Suite was. Princess was about $2400 less than NCL with their Plus package and there was a few good suites available for September. Then checked HAL with Have it All granted no pre paid grats like Princess the cost was $3900 less than NCL and that was getting a deck 5 SB Neptune which I personally think is great for Alaska. We also had alot more SBC. So for a quick minute DH and I discussed pros and cons being well aware of what we were losing with NCL we went with HAL. For the price difference we added 1st Class Air and a pre night hotel and still saving lots of money.  We still like things about HAL but know in advance what to expect. Fortunately we love that totally covered aft balcony and will totally enjoy. Who knows HAL could surprise us especially since we are sailing with low expectations. Had the pricing been close and even just a bit cheaper with HAL and Princess it would have been NCL for the win. I have compared other cruises with NCL Haven compared to HAL such as Bermuda for next year and HAL Neptune was actually higher than what we paid for NCL Joy. One just has to know what they are getting for their money. We are also booked for HAL Noordam for Japan for 2025, NCL Suite or Haven is drastically higher almost double for what we are paying for 14 days in a Signature Suite compared to a 10 day aft Suite with an older NCL ship. For now staying with HAL but waiting for Princess to release thier Japan cruise for Spring 2025.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Welcome to the world of HAL where customers have little clue as to what they get on any specific cruise.  Consider we had a terrific Lincoln Center group in March but have had nothing but a dark room for the past 3 weeks.

No cooking demos on this ship, no crew shows. Little entertainment, etc.  We will be sticking to cruise lines that deliver a more predictable product

We had Ethan Stowell do a cooking demo as well as a 5-course dinner on our 35 day Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas cruise on the K.

Edited by 57redbird
more info

After Alaska on the Eurodam this weekend, I may set my sights on a ship that has entertainment and does singles pretty good - Virgin!!  Maybe Europe next year.  Yeah, I am an old matron but I think it would be fun.  Whattya say Hank 😉