Getaway - Microwave in buffet area?

suzequ

4 minutes ago, suzequ said:

Hope to be on the Getaway soon.  Is there a microwave in the Buffet for public use?  (Need to heat up a compress or find an alternate treatment.) Thanks!

I would not count on finding a microwave there.  Perhaps, use a cup of hot water (like one can get for hot tea) to wet a cloth.

6 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Imagine the things folks would put in a microwave at the buffet on a cruise ship.  

In college they put up signs saying don’t put the coffee mugs in the microwaves - they will explode. You can guess what happened next. Apparently the people who put up signs don’t understand the minds of college students. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

I immediately thought back to dorm lounge microwaves. Ick!

What about an electric heating pad? 

An electric heating pad is not allowed - might be able to smuggle it in but they also might catch it on the scanner. 

However, I do have some usb and/or battery operated heated clothing and hand warmers, never had an issue.

12 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Our resident engineer (I think), in a different thread, seemed certain that there were no microwaves anywhere on the ship, public or otherwise.

12 hours ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Uh the galleys are full of them

Perhaps they are, I've never been in a ship's galley.  But our resident engineer, @chengkp75 who states he was responsible for maintaining all the kitchen equipment claims they don't have microwaves in the galley:  

He also disputed my claim that they are not scratch cooking onboard.  Again, I have no proof but @YVRteacher who does have some inside knowledge offered support in that same thread that food is prepared off ship.  So maybe I shouldn't take @chengkp75 word as fact all the time?

So, @LoungerOnBalcony55, you may be right, I don't know.  I was just referring to what someone whom I usually trust, claimed.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 7:55 AM, suzequ said:

Hope to be on the Getaway soon.  Is there a microwave in the Buffet for public use?  (Need to heat up a compress or find an alternate treatment.) Thanks!

This may sound old fashioned, but I bring a hot water bottle. It's made of some kind of rubber or silicone and has the screw-on plastic stopper. Alternatively, bring many Ziploc bags and put hot water from either your cabin's coffee maker or the buffet hot water (you will need a thermal mug to carry it) in the outer Ziploc and then put your compress in a smaller Ziploc inside the bigger hot water bath Ziploc. 

My cold therapy trick is also Ziploc-based. Ice in a ziploc, wrapped in a towel.

I haven't used any, but I think there are chemical packs for both hot and cold, where you just sort of crush the pack and it will get hot or cold.

12 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Perhaps they are, I've never been in a ship's galley.  But our resident engineer, @chengkp75 who states he was responsible for maintaining all the kitchen equipment claims they don't have microwaves in the galley:  

Did 'ya kinda look at the post right before yours where I showed you a picture of a microwave in the kitchen area of a restaurant on an NCL ship?