Will Royal be only building large ships for now on?

We have cruised lots of the ships in Royals fleet, from the smallest to the current largest ship. I only see them building larger and larger ships that hold thousands and thousands of guests. These new - always bigger and better - ships have all the excitement of a land based amusement park at the same time as being on a cruise. It’s a win win for younger families with children, that they hope will continue cruising all their lives too.
I understand that they’re a business, I’m a shareholder too. 

BUT for those of us that like a smaller more intimate cruises without all the Hoopla, we’re limited to the older smaller ships in the fleet. It’s becoming more apparent to me that we eventually need to branch out to other cruise lines to get the type of cruise we like, and not on an old ship.  Maybe I’m just noticing now because we’re older and don’t need the excitement, although I’ve never needed it, I cruise because I LOVE the ocean.

Anyone think Royal will ever build a smaller ship again?  I know I know, we could just jump to Celebrity……but we’ve always cruised royal.

• Like 4

In an age where fuel prices are a massive unknown, yes, I see massive ships as the only ones Royal will build.  Big ships are way more efficient per passenger than smaller ones- a decade ago, we talked to the chief engineer of the Allure, and he pointed out that it used just barely less fuel than the Freedom on the exact same itinerary.  With 50% more passengers.  

And I'd expect that the engines and fluid dynamics on the Icon is even better than that.

That being said, considering the popularity of the itinerary (they sell out really quickly) there will always be a ship that can transit the Panama Canal.  Just as a guess, it's considerably less expensive to transit the older locks than the new ones, so all of the previous Panamax ships will continue to sail.  Aka Radiance ships.

• Like 2

Norwegian went to the super large, and now next order of ships for them is a step down.  Not small but smaller than the last two classes they came out with.  The newer orders they are coming out with are around 3,200 passengers.  They found that people don't really like the mega-sized 4-5,000 passenger and up.  And as someone has said, size does limit the port options.

• Like 1

There will always be some sort of market for smaller cruise ships as not everyone likes those massive vessels. However as others have pointed out, its possibly cheaper to have more people on a bigger ship than a small ship. In has to be some type of balance point.

They will still need ships that can sail out of ports like Baltimore, where they have to go under the Bay Bridge.  Icon cannot do that.  

I understand what you are saying.  I sailed on Allure and did not like the crowds.  I did like the aquatheatre, ice show, Central Park.  

I did notice Icon had a lot of water stuff for families with young kids.  I might like to use some of the water stuff, but I don't know that I want to be overrun with little kids.  I wish they could find a happy medium.

• Thanks 1

I think they will.  Soon a line will build a sustainable ship.  Harder to do that on a large ship.  Plus the have plenty of small ships,  when they go,  they will make more.  They have utopia coming out and an option for one more oasis class if they choose(unlikely due to finances)

we posed the question of whether rccl would build smaller ships like the radiance class to the captain on a recent cruise at the question and answer session in the theater...We told him that we loved the smaller ships that can sail out of tampa and sell out repeatedly and that we were scared that none of those sized ships would be in rccl's building plans....He confirmed that those small ships were in fact going to be a thing of the past...Here in tampa for next year we will  have the grandeur and the enchantment and those ships are not as nice as the radiance class(imo)...not a rosy picture for down the road and we are not wonder or icon fans....just too big and we don't need their bells and whistles....just sayin'.....

• Like 2

A while back I read a post where someone at a captians corner on a ship asked this question. The reply was that they were currently working on a new class of smaller ship (i think they said somewhere between voyager and radiance class size) to replace the aging ships in the fleet of that size. I'm sure I remember them saying they were told it was codenamed destination class.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

In an age where fuel prices are a massive unknown, yes, I see massive ships as the only ones Royal will build.  Big ships are way more efficient per passenger than smaller ones- a decade ago, we talked to the chief engineer of the Allure, and he pointed out that it used just barely less fuel than the Freedom on the exact same itinerary.  With 50% more passengers.  

And I'd expect that the engines and fluid dynamics on the Icon is even better than that.

That being said, considering the popularity of the itinerary (they sell out really quickly) there will always be a ship that can transit the Panama Canal.  Just as a guess, it's considerably less expensive to transit the older locks than the new ones, so all of the previous Panamax ships will continue to sail.  Aka Radiance ships.

Radiance ships are our favorites, but they’re getting older…I just hope Royal doesn’t decide to retire them anytime soon.  We’ve done cruises to Europe, Hawaii, British Isles, and Greece on them and love those ships because of all the glass.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

A while back I read a post where someone at a captians corner on a ship asked this question. The reply was that they were currently working on a new class of smaller ship (i think they said somewhere between voyager and radiance class size) to replace the aging ships in the fleet of that size. I'm sure I remember them saying they were told it was codenamed destination class.

maybe I’ll need to ask that question at Captains Corner next time.  That would be great news!

I agree with @lovesthebeach2. While Oasis Class ships (and I’m sure Icon as well) are architectural and engineering marvels, they’re not my cup of tea. Voyager and Freedom class remain my favorites, followed by Quantum Class. I’ll continue to cruise on ships I enjoy, regardless if Royal chooses to build smaller ships or not.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, retired dude said:

we posed the question of whether rccl would build smaller ships like the radiance class to the captain on a recent cruise at the question and answer session in the theater...We told him that we loved the smaller ships that can sail out of tampa and sell out repeatedly and that we were scared that none of those sized ships would be in rccl's building plans....He confirmed that those small ships were in fact going to be a thing of the past...Here in tampa for next year we will  have the grandeur and the enchantment and those ships are not as nice as the radiance class(imo)...not a rosy picture for down the road and we are not wonder or icon fans....just too big and we don't need their bells and whistles....just sayin'.....

True if they want to use the port at Tampa, they need smaller ships.  I can’t see them giving up that port.

• Like 2

We don’t like the huge ships as much simply because the ports are the same.  There are only so many places the big girls can port. Quantum class at least can get to Alaska and Australia.  A destination class class would be wonderful.  DH likes the Voyager and Freedom class.  I like the Radiance class.  Sounds like that’d be a win for us.  

I’m sure we will try Icon once ( and after the newness wears off and prices aren’t as high) but I don’t see it as a repeat just because of all the family oriented space and the limited ports it will be able to go to.  

By 2025 we will be branching out to Viking and Celebrity to see more of the world.  A huge ship in the Caribbean doesn’t have much appeal.  But our kids and grands will think it’s great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We have cruised lots of the ships in Royals fleet, from the smallest to the current largest ship. I only see them building larger and larger ships that hold thousands and thousands of guests. These new - always bigger and better - ships have all the excitement of a land based amusement park at the same time as being on a cruise. It’s a win win for younger families with children, that they hope will continue cruising all their lives too.
I understand that they’re a business, I’m a shareholder too. 

BUT for those of us that like a smaller more intimate cruises without all the Hoopla, we’re limited to the older smaller ships in the fleet. It’s becoming more apparent to me that we eventually need to branch out to other cruise lines to get the type of cruise we like, and not on an old ship.  Maybe I’m just noticing now because we’re older and don’t need the excitement, although I’ve never needed it, I cruise because I LOVE the ocean.

Anyone think Royal will ever build a smaller ship again?  I know I know, we could just jump to Celebrity……but we’ve always cruised royal.

When I first went on a cruise, I went on a ship, that was the biggest in the fleet back in 1990.  Since then ships got bigger.  I looked at the old ship, and I have to admit, it would be boring today because it was a floating hotel, with activities, but it visited places not normally gone to back in 1990.  So it was exciting.

Ships are not amusement parks.  Amusement parks are filled with rides.  Ships are very limited to the "family" sections with a family water pool and kids clubs.  Some other items on the top deck which are just gimicks but serve the purpose of keeping some people busy.  

Mega ships have not eliminated the same concept of a cruise.  But let's face it, kids need to be entertained, and the different options for adult entertainment in the evening is a welcome.  So everyone doesn't go one place, but is spread out to one's own likings.  

I'm older, I'm Diamond, and I welcome the idea that I can still do the same things on a ship from 1990 but now, I can do many other things and not get bored with the same ole stuff.  

1 minute ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We don’t like the huge ships as much simply because the ports are the same.  There are only so many places the big girls can port. Quantum class at least can get to Alaska and Australia.  A destination class class would be wonderful.  DH likes the Voyager and Freedom class.  I like the Radiance class.  Sounds like that’d be a win for us.  

I’m sure we will try Icon once ( and after the newness wears off and prices aren’t as high) but I don’t see it as a repeat just because of all the family oriented space and the limited ports it will be able to go to.  

By 2025 we will be branching out to Viking and Celebrity to see more of the world.  A huge ship in the Caribbean doesn’t have much appeal.  But our kids and grands will think it’s great.

Mega ships sail from Asia, Australia, and Europe. n 

16 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We’re also looking to branch out to Viking.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

I really, really hope so. While we love the Oasis class ships, and all the amenities, we are not the type to do the same ports over & over. Given a new itinerary, we'd certainly opt for an Oasis, or Quantum class over a smaller ship.

That said, there are many itineraries out there that only a Radiance class ship or smaller can do. 

Arctic Circle, Iceland, Panama Canal, etc. There are so many ports out there that just can't handle larger ships. The dock at Honningsvag Norway was like 1/3 the length of Jewel.🤣 I think some of the South Pacific islands are banning ships larger than 2500 passengers now.

Some itineraries are about the ship, others are about the ports. While we had no complaints about Jewel, were there things we missed, sure. Some things obviously wouldn't work, but some could.

At some point, I feel that the Radiance class ships will need to be retired/sold, and I would definitely hope that RC replaces that class with a new class that can still do these itineraries. Obviously that can't have all the new amenities that the newer classes have, but there's room to add/change things. One reason may be fuel. I think I read something about Norway may look at limiting cruise ships in the fjords to those using alternative fuels. Something like that may force cruise lines to build new ships to continue to cruise there.

I’d be impressed if RCI went back to smaller ships.  Back in the 80s and 90s nearly all cruise lines were the same, except carnival.  They were all super high class and expensive.  It wasn’t until the Voyager and the cruising boom of the early 2000s that cruiselines really started to separate themselves out and focus on different demographics.  Now you really have 3 very family friendly focused lines like NCL, CCL and RCI and the more exotically older crowd focused lines like X, PCL, and HAL.   Each line has found a niche and target demographic they like.  

For RCI to go back and start producing smaller ships with less bells and whistles, I dont think that will ever happen as it goes against their target market.  Maybe something like a Freedom sized ship, but the Radiance  and lower are almost never gonna happen again.  I’d love to see them though as I like smaller ships more, and have been on expeditions with as few as 48 pax and really enjoyed them.

1 hour ago, Seafan22 said:

Norwegian went to the super large, and now next order of ships for them is a step down.  Not small but smaller than the last two classes they came out with.  The newer orders they are coming out with are around 3,200 passengers.  They found that people don't really like the mega-sized 4-5,000 passenger and up.  And as someone has said, size does limit the port options.

Ncl recently admitted they built the new Prima Class ships too small. The 5th and 6th ships in Prima Class will be 20% larger.  They are reworking plans on all new builds coming after 2026.

5 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

I really, really hope so. While we love the Oasis class ships, and all the amenities, we are not the type to do the same ports over & over. Given a new itinerary, we'd certainly opt for an Oasis, or Quantum class over a smaller ship.

That said, there are many itineraries out there that only a Radiance class ship or smaller can do. 

Arctic Circle, Iceland, Panama Canal, etc. There are so many ports out there that just can't handle larger ships. The dock at Honningsvag Norway was like 1/3 the length of Jewel.🤣 I think some of the South Pacific islands are banning ships larger than 2500 passengers now.

Some itineraries are about the ship, others are about the ports. While we had no complaints about Jewel, were there things we missed, sure. Some things obviously wouldn't work, but some could.

At some point, I feel that the Radiance class ships will need to be retired/sold, and I would definitely hope that RC replaces that class with a new class that can still do these itineraries. Obviously that can't have all the new amenities that the newer classes have, but there's room to add/change things. One reason may be fuel. I think I read something about Norway may look at limiting cruise ships in the fjords to those using alternative fuels. Something like that may force cruise lines to build new ships to continue to cruise there.

Back in 2002 Princess brought the Pacific Princess - aka “The Love Boat” to New York for the Summer season cruises to Bermuda . It was the last cruises as a Princess ship, as it was being sold in the fall.  That ship and cruise was the best we’ve EVER taken, and we have cruised to almost all the places you listed in your post.

What made it extra special, was because the ship was so small, it was able to cruise INTO Hamilton and St. George!  Right into those two ports! It was amazing to see under the ship as we slowly cruised over the coral on the way out. It was magnificent. That cruise with Princess was the absolute hands down best cruise we’ve ever taken! And that includes all the places in your post.

• Like 1

Will Royal be only building large ships for now on?

I sure hope so.  However, I'm not unsympathetic to those that like the older and smaller ships.  I also agree with many of the other comments, the trend with the big 3 or 4  operators is to go big.  

Having said all that, I believe that there is a niche market that likes to go places that many don't and some cruise lines will bend over backward to satisfy them and build ships that satisfies that little niche with the smaller ships.  There are also current itineraries that can't support the larger ships but are profitable with the traditional/smaller ships.