The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 18th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

1 hour ago, trivia addict said:

I am not a regular, but sometimes I check in to see what tasty recipe is posted! You are a very tight warm group of friends.

I had to comment on todays port. On our Holland Panama cruise some years back, we also stopped at Leon and Corinto. It was my worst port ever.

They  first took us to a local open air food market. At one stand, the man was holding up two little live lizards bound with twine. The poor little fellows were wriggling their heads and tails frantically trying to get loose. Apparently they can be someone’s dinner.

I was gagging so hard, I had to leave. Later the tour included lunch. We had a choice of chicken or something else. While everyone else ate happily, I was NOT going to trust anything! 
I had another experience while there but since this is a family board I will not repeat it.

I will never return there. As mentioned, the only reason it is a port of call must be for humanitarian reasons.

Welcome and thank you so much for your information.

Graham.

• Like 6

A very late good afternoon everyone. I’ve been busy organizing my house for recoup from cateract surgery which I have o

next Thursday and am very nervous about. I could really use some healing prayers. I’m not allowed to bend from the waist so everything has to be rearranged for the two week recovery.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

A very late good afternoon everyone. I’ve been busy organizing my house for recoup from cateract surgery which I have o

next Thursday and am very nervous about. I could really use some healing prayers. I’m not allowed to bend from the waist so everything has to be rearranged for the two week recovery.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Sending you my prayers 🙏.

Please do not worry.

I had an epiretinal membrane removed and cataract removed from my good eye in hospital which was painless.

I had a cataract removed 6 months later on my other eye as an outpatient and again it was painless.

An intraocular lens (IOL) is a small artificial lens that replaces the eye's natural lens during cataract surgery.

Anesthetic eye drops were put in my eyes pre-op.

I was given eye drops post op to use for a couple of weeks.

I only wear glasses for reading now whereas I wore varifocal glasses all day previously.

Graham 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a cloudy, but not windy central Texas.  The sun is trying to break through the clouds.  I'm beginning to sound like a broken record with our weather.  It's 42F and will get to 56F this afternoon, but the overnight low will be 34F.  There will also be wind this afternoon.

While I have awkward moments, I don't want to celebrate them.  After having two wonderful DDs, the Goddess of Fertility moved on.  I'll honor all those who have made the supreme sacrifice.

I like today's quote.  Albert Einstein was a wise man.  I like the KISS principle --Keep It Simple, Stupid.

We'll pass on the meal since DH is not fond of lamb.  We'll also pass on the drink and the wine, even though the wine is finally a reasonable price.

We have visited Corinto at least three times on BHBs.  I'll post my pictures shortly. 

Some of you may remember when Captain Albert was on the Statendam, the ship adopted a local school.  They gave the school enough paint to paint the school and other supplies to help improve the school  After waiting to see if the parents and teachers would work to improve the school, they continued giving supplies to the school.  Some of the painters and other crew members helped paint the only school with HAL blue.  We drove by the school on out bicycle tour of Corinto, but I couldn't get a picture of the it.

The ship and passengers collected school supplies for the children, but ran into problems with customs.  They invited the kids on board for lunch, and gave each one a backpack with school supplies, IIRC.  In 2020, the were still having some kids and their families on board after the welcome dance performance.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, as far a the weather jinx in Texas for your DS, the only problem with summer is the heat and occasional thunderstorms. 

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad they made the arrest before the parade.  I'm glad the aide is working out, and hopefully their professionalism will help both Tana and the aide overcome the emotional issues.

@seagarsmoker and @DWAliaschief

BON VOYAGE!

BonVoyage.png.bd266af1feeb1a85f9a4d3455e964835.png

Lenda

Wow!  I can't believe I actually made the first page.

Thank you.  Beautiful day here at sail away, aft Seaview pool was packed to the gill! 🙂

• Like 14

1 minute ago, dfish said:

Welcome @trivia addict  We hope you'll join in more often. While we are a warm group of friends, we always find room for one more. 

@mamaofami Hugs to you and prayers that your surgery goes well.  We can recover together.  My surgery on the parathyroids is Wednesday.

All the best for surgery. Assuming it is outpatient?

• Like 7

Have not posted for a couple of days but always read, first thing in the morning, at lunch and last thing at night. DD who just had Covid was here today, still has breathing problems climbing stairs but tested negative.

started doing taxes for the family. Should be fun!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I’m not allowed to bend from the waist so everything has to be rearranged for the two week recovery.

When I had surgery for a broken nose, the single most annoying part of recuperation was that, when I dropped anything, I couldn't pick it up.

The Moroccan lamb stew would probably be OK with me, although many Moroccan dishes are spicier than I like. I'd try the cocktail, preferably with the optional addition, and would probably like the wine. The bottle that's open right now is a rosé of Pinot Noir from Oregon. I don't envision booking a cruise that would call at Corinto, but you never know.

school.thumb.jpg.4971a1e01d5897350447b45a95453478.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 7

Good Saturday to all! 
Thank you for the the Daily  Report. Love the photos of ports! And the humor , always a help!  We were in Corinto at least once. My overriding memory is that it was very hot!  

Welcome @trivia addict!

@mamaofami Blessings for you and your care team.  May your preparations give you confidence, your procedure be easy, and the recovery be quick! We hope you will let us know how you’re doing. 

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope. Cheers to all celebrating. Bon Voyage to all the cruisers!  Life is good!  
Happy to hear many are sleeping!  For those with sad news, it’s part of all our lives, give yourself a hug!  

Maureen 

• Like 16

38 minutes ago, dfish said:

Welcome @trivia addict  We hope you'll join in more often. While we are a warm group of friends, we always find room for one more. 

@mamaofami Hugs to you and prayers that your surgery goes well.  We can recover together.  My surgery on the parathyroids is Wednesday.

Prayers 🙏 for a successful surgery for you on Wednesday Debbie @dfish.

Graham x

• Like 8

@trivia addict Welcome to the Fleet Report/Daily.

@mamaofami Prayers for your cataract surgery and recovery. I've had both eyes done, live alone, and no issues other than lots of extra drops because of my underlying eye issue that could flare up from the surgery.

@dfish Prayers for a successful surgery and recovery.

@superoma Sorry to hear that DD still has breathing issues post-Covid.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 13

Good afternoon from central Texas.  After much back and forth, we decided to order a new washer instead of fixing the old one.  In addition to the horrible noise of the bearing that's going out, it has been making more and louder clicks, etc.  DH decided it was worth it to get a quieter washer.

We went to Waco to order it so we could take advantage of the military discount.  At checkout, I found out we should have applied for the discount and downloaded the app before leaving home.  I got that taken care of at the service desk; then, when she saw were getting a washer, she said the discount does not apply to appliances.  At least, we got out of the house, and since the washer was on sale, we saved quite a bit of money.  It w8ll be delivered and installed Thursday.

The Cowboy Church down the road will take the old washer.  They have a room of old appliances for people in need.  One of our neighbors will get it next week.  At least, it will be used by someone who needs it.

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Today we'll be watching the grandsons do their derby car race with the Scouts.  Afterwards we may go into Seattle to HAL's Alaska Cruise & Travel Show.  We went last year and it was entertaining, so we'll see if we decide to go again.  We may just pop in and enter the "win a cruise" and head back home...

Yesterday's neighbor-lady firepit gathering went very well, we chatted for almost 4 hours.  It was warm enough (low 60's) that we almost didn't need the fire, but agreed it added some ambiance lol.  As always, people walking by stop and chat too, so a good way to meet new people in the neighborhood.

Lenda @Quartzsite CruiserI wonder if we were on the same cruise in 2015?  We were on a 2-week South America cruise out of Lima on the Statendam.  I believe it left Lima on March 30.

We didn't stay Corinto, we took a tour to a rum factory that day.  We enjoyed that 18-year-old rum for many years. 😉  

Corinto and local volcano

Corinto.jpg.1188f295747de3b5d6011ef1139fb03a.jpg

Bodega.thumb.jpg.610a079754e8bc4974b17e4d1dc3bb0c.jpg

rumtasting.thumb.jpg.554619f8857b014e3414bb220af0b602.jpg

The one we bought is on the far right here.

atrumfactory.thumb.jpg.ac32a95f463b08768d5e14c6b0bd4151.jpg

Carolyn, thanks for sharing your pictures from the rum distillery.  Unfortunately, we were not on the same cruise.  Our cruise was a Panama Canal cruise which left about January 15, and it was a means to get to Fort Lauderdale without flying.  We spent two days in Florida before boarding the Ruby Princess to sail around South America for 49 days to LA.

1 hour ago, superoma said:

Have not posted for a couple of days but always read, first thing in the morning, at lunch and last thing at night. DD who just had Covid was here today, still has breathing problems climbing stairs but tested negative.

Taxes are always fun -- NOT!  😡

4 hours ago, Mtn2Sea said:

Today’s sunset as the Zuiderdam leaves the dock in Wallis Bay, Namibia.

142E6FEA-A0BE-4AB7-BD77-1D8E1B221F45.thumb.jpeg.059a2f0f0801bfb6396a9b37054d1f84.jpeg

Thanks for the beautiful sunset.

2 hours ago, trivia addict said:

I am not a regular, but sometimes I check in to see what tasty recipe is posted! You are a very tight warm group of friends.

I had to comment on todays port. On our Holland Panama cruise some years back, we also stopped at Leon and Corinto. It was my worst port ever.

They  first took us to a local open air food market. At one stand, the man was holding up two little live lizards bound with twine. The poor little fellows were wriggling their heads and tails frantically trying to get loose. Apparently they can be someone’s dinner.

I was gagging so hard, I had to leave. Later the tour included lunch. We had a choice of chicken or something else. While everyone else ate happily, I was NOT going to trust anything! 
I had another experience while there but since this is a family board I will not repeat it.

I will never return there. As mentioned, the only reason it is a port of call must be for humanitarian reasons.

Welcome to the Fleet/Daily, and we hope you'll come back often.  We have become friends during the past three years, but there's always room for one more Dailyite.  I'm sorry your experience in Corinto was so bad.  I guess we've been lucky when we were there.

2 hours ago, ktbraun said:

Good afternoon, it's very cold, snowy and windy here today.  It was not a good week for me to get my walks done!  I like the quote today, I've organized a sewing class for 6th graders at our church's school.  I'm finding out that I would not have been a good teacher, I'm better at 1 on 1, rather than a bigger group!  Sometimes I have a hard time describing what I'm doing, I need to demonstrate it instead.  

We haven't been to todays port, but I have a cousin who had property in Nicaragua.  Their house looked beautiful, but the area did not seem like a good place to visit.  

Prayers, hugs and cheers for all who need them.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend.  K.

Since our last visit, I think the political situation has gotten worse.  It may not be a port until things get better.  We did a tour  to Managua from a different port, and it was pretty grim.  They had not rebuilt much after the earthquake.

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Carol, I hope your surgery and recovery goes well.

1 hour ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thank you.  Beautiful day here at sail away, aft Seaview pool was packed to the gill! 🙂

I'm glad you had a beautiful day for the sailaway.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Sandi thanks for getting up so early and getting the Daily started. Your loyalty is appreciated but it’s OK if you sleep in now and then.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.365a7a2fd143756e4a405e00922bebd9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.882697dbb9a9f297bd607db8c260dade.jpegimage.jpeg.d3bb1230213884cb17a2c295b854be7e.jpegimage.jpeg.0466bd2b152d8fa43c46a7bbe928cf53.jpegimage.jpeg.bede83b9ab92cb6b062bdc4d194914d6.jpeg

Bruce, thanks for the memes today.  Funny as usual.  As for sleeping, I wish I could sleep past 4 am but it doesn't happen often.  While I do the Daily reporting I am getting up an hour earlier than usual to be sure I get everything finished before my workout on the treadmill.  I used to spend that hour in bed waiting for my usual time to get up.  When I finish on the treadmill DH gets up to do his turn so I try to keep on a schedule for him.  You know how engineers are about their schedules!

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Ann, Debbie,Dixie,Sandi and Vanessa every day for being the backbone of this wonderful thread with your amazing Contributions.

Thanks to Lenda for all of your photos daily which are extremely helpful in helping me decide which ports to visit that I have not already visited.

We currently have 6 Mediterranean and Canary Islands cruises to look forward to plus a hotel visit to Orlando Florida.

Best regards to all my friends on here.

Graham x

IMG_20230309_153648.jpg

So much to look forward to!  We can't wait to hear about each and every vacation.

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Carol, we will be praying for an easy surgery and recovery for you Thursday!  Smart of you to prepare ahead of time.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

And we will be praying for you too Debbie for your surgery on Wednesday.  Hoping all goes extremely well!

I'm sorry to hear your DD is still having breathing problems.  Let's pray that improves soon, and good luck with those taxes!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

All the best for surgery. Assuming it is outpatient?

Yes, it is outpatient and generally a very easy recovery.  One sister had this done years ago and was back to normal the next day.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Prayers 🙏 for a successful surgery for you on Wednesday Debbie @dfish.

Graham x

Thank you, Graham.

59 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@trivia addict Welcome to the Fleet Report/Daily.

@mamaofami Prayers for your cataract surgery and recovery. I've had both eyes done, live alone, and no issues other than lots of extra drops because of my underlying eye issue that could flare up from the surgery.

@dfish Prayers for a successful surgery and recovery.

@superoma Sorry to hear that DD still has breathing issues post-Covid.

Thank you, Vanessa!

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

And we will be praying for you too Debbie for your surgery on Wednesday.  Hoping all goes extremely well!

Thank you!   I'm sure it will go well.  

@mamaofami Carol, you need one of these grabby reachy thingies.   

https://www.amazon.com/Grabber-FitPlus-Premium-Reacher-Warranty/dp/B06XH4ZZL9/ref=asc_df_B06XH4ZZL9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167132090312&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8946657127978019783&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1019457&hvtargid=pla-307404760226&psc=1

grabbyreachythingie.thumb.jpg.9ac9af2f442d41db95b3823527e7b4d0.jpg

This was a miracle tool for me after I broke my hip.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

Yes, it is outpatient and generally a very easy recovery.  One sister had this done years ago and was back to normal the next day.

Thank you, Graham.

Thank you, Vanessa!

Thank you!   I'm sure it will go well.  

@mamaofami Carol, you need one of these grabby reachy thingies.   

https://www.amazon.com/Grabber-FitPlus-Premium-Reacher-Warranty/dp/B06XH4ZZL9/ref=asc_df_B06XH4ZZL9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167132090312&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8946657127978019783&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1019457&hvtargid=pla-307404760226&psc=1

grabbyreachythingie.thumb.jpg.9ac9af2f442d41db95b3823527e7b4d0.jpg

This was a miracle tool for me after I broke my hip.  

Debbie, the ones DH got after his surgery are different, but still very useful.  I find I use it more than he does especially when things are just out of reach on a high shelf.  Saves getting the step stool or step ladder out.

Lenda

• Like 9

Hello again. 
The boys did well at the derby car race. Foster got 4 firsts, Shep got 1 first and 3 seconds. They both did best in their dens. 

We went past the HAL event in Seattle but didn’t stop in because the parking was full. We went last year so no big loss.
The gorgeous sunshine must have brought everyone out today. Lots of folks out in Seattle!

1DEC0B6A-FCC9-4751-9CB1-6FDF3D520CDB.thumb.jpeg.c0e79aa0ee59060d774adc9bb76e6d9b.jpeg

• Like 12

Finished our dinner so free to finish up here.

Annie @marshhawk I'm happy to hear about the sales last night.  Sorry about all the issues you've had.

@NextOne Good luck scheduling your surgery and I hope the VOV is safe from cancellation. 

Brenda @bennybear I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of the two policemen.  We hear that all too often in this country.

@trivia addict Welcome to the Daily and Fleet Report.  Come on back anytime!

Thanks to Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and Carolyn @Cruising-along for your photos today of Corinto.  Seems many of us have similar opinions of the place.  Next time, if there is one, I'll just enjoy my day onboard especially if I have a drink package.🥂 

Also Carolyn, very cute photos of the boys.  Happy they did so well.  I just heard from DS and he says they lost 4-3 because they were two men down at the end.  Injury for one and red card for another.  Tsk tsk!  Hope San Antonio is kinder to the Jaguars.  He said they just arrived at their hotel in San Antonio and I'm sure Ren and DS are pretty darn tired.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
spelling
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Get Your Tiara Ready. The Coronation Is Coming.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/12/fashion/jewelry-tiaras-coronation-london.html

The Junior Cat is hunting for her tiara, which she hasn't had occasion to wear since the last royal wedding.

This morning I had been up for only a few minutes before I realized that I wasn't going to attend the synagogue. I went back to bed and slept until about the time it would have ended.

• Like 9