I couldn’t believe the story about NCL

Oldsweets

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Is it sad that the cruiser that had her cruise cancelled because procedures in the fine print were not followed?

Yes, it is. It is a very expensive lesson.  However, NCL is not at fault and owns no money to the cruiser.

So in other words, the cruiser fell into NCL's trap and, well, too bad for them. 

As I said, I hope NCL gets a lot of exposure because of this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Regardless of fault, this story underscores the need to use a travel professional in even the most trival interactions with NCL.    Either use a PCC or a TA.

This...100%.

Reading this thread scared me enough to go back and check my upcoming cruises reservation / excursion information (on NCL, RCCL and MSC). I'm one of those crazy people who actually does read the entire cruise contract as they change often but wanted to ensure I was doing the right thing. 

It is truly interesting that we have not heard about this issue previously. Everyone on Cruise Critic will jump on the bandwagon re: cancellation of excursions, ports, cruises, benefits...so doesn't it seem unusual that this is the first we've heard about such a huge cancellation for a fairly insignificant issue?

Warmest, Amy

11 minutes ago, vettesale said:

From Microsoft's support  site:

"Message recall is available after you click Send and is available only if both you and the recipient have a Microsoft 365 or Microsoft Exchange email account in the same organization. So, for example, a message sent to or from a Hotmail, Gmail, or live.com account can't be recalled."

The key word above is "same organization." Plus the person used an AOL.com account which is outside of Microsoft's email control/NCL's organization.

Not to go to far off topic and beat a dead horse 🙂

I only can go by my experience where I have recalled messages to people outside my agency and vice versa-most likely we were all using Outlook/ MS 365. I'm in insurance and mostly everyone I deal with uses Microsoft (dealing mostly with agencies/brokers, not the policyholders)

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Is it sad that the cruiser that had her cruise cancelled because procedures in the fine print were not followed?

What is more sad is that NCL refuses to accommodate the guest. They want to keep the fare paid and not allow the fully paid passenger to cruise AND they also refuse to refund the money even though they won't let her sail. Bad business decision, but not surprised. NCL digs in when it comes to things like this.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Do you have a link for that quote?  "Microsoft Support site" is rather dubious, it could be some misinformed Microsoft employee or worse, just some internet yahoo writing that. 

As I said above, message recall is part of SMTP and I've used it across organizations many times.

Going off-topic in this post, but here is the link to Microsoft's support site:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/recall-or-replace-an-email-message-that-you-sent-35027f88-d655-4554-b4f8-6c0729a723a0

1 minute ago, vettesale said:

Thanks.  

That post is wrong, which is not the first time for Microsoft.  But, I understand you'll believe a published MS statement over some schmuck like me on the internet.   I would too.  'Nuff said.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, ngrund said:

Not to go to far off topic and beat a dead horse 🙂

I only can go by my experience where I have recalled messages to people outside my agency and vice versa-most likely we were all using Outlook/ MS 365. I'm in insurance and mostly everyone I deal with uses Microsoft (dealing mostly with agencies/brokers, not the policyholders)

Just for giggles, I tested sending emails from my corporate exchange/outlook email and from my gmail to my aol.com account. The email cannot be recalled from AOL. And, yes, I admit I still have an AOL account. It comes in handy when you are giving it to someone who you know will spam you 🙂

2 minutes ago, vettesale said:

Just for giggles, I tested sending emails from my corporate exchange/outlook email and from my gmail to my aol.com account. The email cannot be recalled from AOL. And, yes, I admit I still have an AOL account. It comes in handy when you are giving it to someone who you know will spam you 🙂

Not surprised about the gmail.  If private messaging was available, I'd have you test it against my work account.  But not going to put that in a public forum.  

26 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

What is more sad is that NCL refuses to accommodate the guest. They want to keep the fare paid and not allow the fully paid passenger to cruise AND they also refuse to refund the money even though they won't let her sail. Bad business decision, but not surprised. NCL digs in when it comes to things like this.

what aggravates me more about NCL doing this is that the cruise was still sold out so they could not put them in a cabin.

I understand the need for the late cancellation penalty under normal circumstances; NCL could lose revenue if there was an empty cabin based on a late cancellation.

This is just corporate greed

• Like 1

20 hours ago, davencl said:

Yes there must be more to the story.  No one can recall emails from my email accounts.  If AOL allows that get another email provider. (Does anyone still use AOL???)

Also no mention of an attempt to contact any of the executive team at NCL.

Most business level (enterprise) email systems from the likes of Gmail and Microsoft have recall features in place. It's not dependent on the receiver's email account.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

Do you have a link for that quote?  "Microsoft Support site" is rather dubious, it could be some misinformed Microsoft employee or worse, just some internet yahoo writing that. 

As I said above, message recall is part of SMTP and I've used it across organizations many times.

Simple Google search.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/recall-or-replace-an-email-message-that-you-sent-35027f88-d655-4554-b4f8-6c0729a723a0

Gmail has recall too, but set to a time limit.  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2819488?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop#:~:text=Recall an email with Undo,Click Undo.

Edited by scooter6139
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm starting to believe this and it's not good publicity for NCL.  If there is any truth in this they need to fix both this situation and their process yesterday.  Ain't no way to run a railroad.

Yes, they have to realize any customer they do this to will never come back, and will probably spread the word about this. Not a good look for anyone looking to book an NCL ship.

• Like 2

Below are some of the invoice items that cause automatic cancelations. Please note that the triggers are not limited to the following items:

• Air that was not originally added to the reservation
  • Essential Travel Protection
  • Ground transfers
  • Land items, such as pre and post hotels and cruisetour

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, they have to realize any customer they do this to will never come back, and will probably spread the word about this. Not a good look for anyone looking to book an NCL ship.

I agree, the least they could have done is to give this person FCC for the money paid.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AwesomO said:

Someone on our sailing in our Roll Call nearly had their vacation cancelled as well. It was all paid, but had some mixup a couple of weeks before sailing (Gem, 2/17/23) after they had tried to add some upgrades. Received notice that it was cancelled for non payment. They were able to get it reinstated by NCL, but just barely. So yes, I believe it happened and now I'm thinking it happens more than we may be priivy to. 

I read another similar story about someone's cruise getting cancelled a couple days before sailing because of this as well.  It may have been the same one that you are talking about because my friend and I were sailing on Bliss the week of Valentines Day and this happened within the month before our sailing.  I got really paranoid about doing anything on the NCL site before our cruise.  I went and doublechecked to make sure that our spa passes were completely paid for and I stopped even thinking about booking any excursions on the website. The person I read about was able to get their cruise reinstated but she really went through a lot to get that done.  I'm not booking anything with NCL if this is how they do business.  

• Like 2

We have a large family group of about 12 cabins booked going to Alaska in July. This really concerns me because if any of them book excursions or transfers online and something happens, they’re SOL.

I’m going to let them know to call and get done what they want. 

35 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Most business level (enterprise) email systems from the likes of Gmail and Microsoft have recall features in place. It's not dependent on the receiver's email account.

In my case there is NO way they can recall email's from me.  My local email program downloads the email then deletes it from the server.   No way for any system to recall from me.

21 hours ago, davencl said:

Yes there must be more to the story.  No one can recall emails from my email accounts.  If AOL allows that get another email provider. (Does anyone still use AOL???)

Also no mention of an attempt to contact any of the executive team at NCL.

It may surprise you that many still use AOL,Mocrosoft and Hotmail.  I sell online and get these addresses all the time. lol

6 minutes ago, davencl said:

In my case there is NO way they can recall email's from me.  My local email program downloads the email then deletes it from the server.   No way for any system to recall from me.

Same for mine.  And although I'm not always able to see embedded images with the program I use,  the statements NCL sends are attached PDF files, no way to retract or obliterate the info.

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

How often do we see posts on Cruise Critic where someone is screaming that a cruise line  has "done them wrong" when it often simply boils down to the poster having screwed up their reservations and payments because the poster didn't know what they were doing or were not aware of the available information (rules) about bookings and payment?

Yes, it is. It is a very expensive lesson.  However, NCL is not at fault and owns no money to the cruiser.

This reminds me of the brouhaha several months ago about the "over one hundred" Princess cruisers left on the pier at embarkation because they did not have the required vaccinations to take a trans Atlantic cruise.

Real story was that it was an extended family group of thirty seven that ignored the information that was there on the website, the booking confirmations, and the on line check ins that vaccination was required.

11 minutes ago, juju2454 said:

It may surprise you that many still use AOL,Mocrosoft and Hotmail.  I sell online and get these addresses all the time. lol

Yes haha I was surprised.  I see Verizon bought out AOL so it continued...  AOL now owned by an investment firm.