"Just" a Balcony. Will I Feel Like a Second Class Citizen?

land64shark

First Congrats to the OP on your upcoming wedding.  

Travel (like much of life) is so much about your attitude.  There will always be someone in a better hotel room or at a better restaurant table etc.  Your reaction to that inevitable situation will determine if that ruins your enjoyment.  Don't let it! 

Have a wonderful wedding cruise and don't give any more thought to being "2nd Class". 

• Like 3

On 3/22/2023 at 9:42 PM, mahdnc said:

Besides, you are getting married on this cruise-

I'd think this, alone, is the main event for the cruise! Balcony rooms are great. Lately we've been using Aqua class and have enjoyed that. What I don't think is quite right is just how much space in the front of the ship has been reserved for suite guests ala the "Retreat". Given that there are no  longer first, second, or third class citizens on modern cruise ships anymore, there is absolutely no reason that you should feel like a "second class" citizen. That said, it would appear that what has been done with the "Retreat" is maybe a bit over the top compared to what other lines do? Unless I'm mistaken, there is nothing comparable to the retreat even on RCL ships. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PelicanLvr said:

There will always be someone in a better hotel room or at a better restaurant table etc.  Your reaction to that inevitable situation will determine if that ruins your enjoyment.  Don't let it! 

Have a wonderful wedding cruise and don't give any more thought to being "2nd Class". 

Great points and advice!!  Your first statement is especially applicable to airline seating. 

• Like 1

As a long time cruiser, I can assure you that my husband and I know the most desirable cabins on a ship are low and amidships. Interior is preferred.

We personally  considered a balcony as a waste of cabin space that is put to better use inside the cabin than outside the cabin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'd think this, alone, is the main event for the cruise! Balcony rooms are great. Lately we've been using Aqua class and have enjoyed that. What I don't think is quite right is just how much space in the front of the ship has been reserved for suite guests ala the "Retreat". Given that there are no  longer first, second, or third class citizens on modern cruise ships anymore, there is absolutely no reason that you should feel like a "second class" citizen. That said, it would appear that what has been done with the "Retreat" is maybe a bit over the top compared to what other lines do? Unless I'm mistaken, there is nothing comparable to the retreat even on RCL ships. 

I understand what you are saying and the trend is a concerning one for us non-retreat (non-surrender) passengers.  Fortunately the space carved out for Retreat Guests is minimal on Infinity.  It is limited to Michaels Club (which I rarely visited back in the old days) and Luminae.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 4:13 PM, land64shark said:

I am new to Celebrity. We are on Infinity in the Mediterranean and have a balcony cabin booked. I will admit that I didn't do much research beforehand as I was primarily interested in itinerary (I am getting married in Santorini on this cruise) and I was a bit surprised at the amount of amenities/areas that I cannot partake in. I can't help but notice that the vast majority of posters on here do not book the general population cabins. Will it feel like half of the ship is off limits to me?

Realize that those who post here are a SMALL percentage of the passengers who sail.

You can participate in EVERYTHING on the ship except the Retreat area--which is basically one of the pools, restaurant & lounge. There are numerous pools, restaurants & lounges for everyone.

There are some areas that require a fee--spa, specialty restaurants.

You will feel like the world is your oyster even in a "lowly" balcony.

One reason I enjoy cruising is that I DON'T feel like a 2nd class citizen, but very pampered.

Enjoy!

Edited by KKB

47 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

As a long time cruiser, I can assure you that my husband and I know the most desirable cabins on a ship are low and amidships. Interior is preferred.

We personally  considered a balcony as a waste of cabin space that is put to better use inside the cabin than outside the cabin.

TO YOU.

MOST people prefer a balcony--many prefer higher.

Balconies are typically larger rooms than interiors, and the balcony space is additional to that.

As a long time cruiser myself...the most desirable cabin is the one that has the best value (not necessarily the cheapest).

Lately we book interior & do an upgrade bid to balcony. Was only $350 more total on our 10 day Equinox cruise in Nov. 

Now upgrade bids are no guarantee, so we are fine with an interior if we do not get the upgrade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

I look at it this way--I don't think about areas of the ship that are off limits to me, including crew areas. 

The rest of the ship is my oyster...

• Like 1

Here is the fact sheet on the Infinity 

there is 50 suite cabins , there are 1085 cabins on the ship , 

Suite client to get more attention not enough for you to notice

usually you happen to be in quarantine, than there is a big difference 

1BE2AC7F-2B4E-44EC-8950-AD982E6BA70B.png

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

33 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

there is 50 suite cabins , there are 1085 cabins on the ship , 

Suite client to get more attention not enough for you to notice

usually you happen to be in quarantine, than there is a big difference 

Our OP and his bride may be in a quarantine of sorts..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Balconies are our favourite too.  Love sitting out there reading a book and it's a wonderful place to be when sailing out of the port.  When you're elsewhere in the ship, no one knows what kind of a cabin you're in.  I can't imagine feeling inferior.  You will meet many nice people.  The Med is a wonderful itinerary.  We love Santorini.

Congratulation on your upcoming wedding.  May you live a long and happy life together.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Agreed 100%, We were so disappointed on our recent Edge cruise in the fact that our family members who were not in Aqua class could not join us at the front on Deck 14

The other disturbing fact was that no one else was ever there.

What a poor waste of excellent space that many folks could enjoy

Edited by yknot13
Grammar

3 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Our OP and his bride may be in a quarantine of sorts..........

Ah yes, the self imposed "honeymoon quarantine" every afternoon. Back in '02 some friends we made onboard called it "honeymooner nap time". 😛

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

I just wish Celebrity could keep non-suite passengers out of the buffet.  It just doesn’t feel exclusive anymore.  😭

Especially those that show up with past Zenith room keys proudly displayed on multi-layered lanyards. I hope these cruisers remember which room key to use.  

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, keesar said:

Especially those that show up with past Zenith room keys proudly displayed on multi-layered lanyards. I hope these cruisers remember which room key to use.  

I never really notice Zenith on a cruise  

Now pinnacles on RCL they try to run the ship🙄

• Like 2

On 3/25/2023 at 4:58 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I never really notice Zenith on a cruise  

Now pinnacles on RCL they try to run the ship🙄

To be fair, that's RCL's fault for giving out these ridiculous pins and trophy for each level. They set this expectation, if you ponder to people's worst impulses then this is the result. Nuts!

Edited by Fly and Sail

On 3/24/2023 at 11:04 AM, Homosassa said:

We walked into an inside cabin once (it was empty and the cabin steward let us so we could see what it was like) and, well....nope, nope, nope. Felt like being in a closet. I'd go completely nuts in one. And it was considerably smaller than the balcony cabins we've stayed in.

We feel exactly the opposite as you about balcony cabins. We spend a LOT of time on our balcony with morning coffee, reading in the afternoons, pre-dinner wine, late night stargazing...we have no need for extra space inside the cabin as long as we have that balcony to enjoy.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

We feel exactly the opposite as you about balcony cabins. We spend a LOT of time on our balcony with morning coffee, reading in the afternoons, pre-dinner wine, late night stargazing...we have no need for extra space inside the cabin as long as we have that balcony to enjoy.

We feel the same about spending time on the balcony. We prefer room service breakfast each morning on the balcony. We spend most of our non-bar and restaurant time on our balcony. I do not like crowds and being up on a deck chair around the pool fighting off the chair hogs is not my thing; I much prefer the privacy and quiet of being on my balcony.

• Like 3

On 3/24/2023 at 10:52 AM, terrydtx said:

The closest IMO is NCL Haven and MSC Yacht Club class cabins.

Rccl upscale suites have genies which from what I understand are equal to butler, rccl high end includes all specialty restaurants same as upscale celebrity in royal suite and above , just got off celebrity summit had huge royal suite including hot tub on balcony, liquor setup etc, love yacht club also but basic balcony room is not a big deal either is sky suites on M class. E class is where suite perks really are nice with outdoor retreat,

2 minutes ago, George C said:

Rccl upscale suites have genies which from what I understand are equal to butler, rccl high end includes all specialty restaurants same as upscale celebrity in royal suite and above , just got off celebrity summit had huge royal suite including hot tub on balcony, liquor setup etc, love yacht club also but basic balcony room is not a big deal either is sky suites on M class. E class is where suite perks really are nice with outdoor retreat,

I have no interest in sailing on RCL even in high end suites, too many people on their ships and 4000-6000 passengers means way too many kids. Might try Yacht club someday if the itinerary was right but I have read so many terrible reviews about food in their YC. We did the NCL Haven once and thought it was great until we did our first Retreat with Celebrity, would never sail in the Haven again, also too many people and huge ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, swigso said:

Nobody knows what type of cabin you are sailing in 

unless they see the grey suite card 😎😂😱

Unless they see what kind of mustard you use.

Pardon me but do you have any Grey Poupon?

On 3/24/2023 at 1:58 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Totally disagree. 
There certainly is a first and second class on nearly all large cruise ships nowadays.

How does the Retreat, Yacht Club, etc differ from what the liners used to have many years ago?

Separate areas depending on how much you pay.

Times haven’t changed that much!

I’ve been lucky enough to experience most classes on Celebrity and Queens Grill on Cunard and to be perfectly honest it wasn’t really worth the extra money. 

Edited by swjumbo