gift bag ideas, crew appreciation

FrankieJayIII

this whole thread has gotten completely 'out of hand' with all the sidetracks.

this isn't about what the crew thinks and feels about what you give them.  It's about ME / my WIFE

and how WE feel about what we do - whether it is a cash 'gift' and in addition a token gift that they can either keep or barter - it's NOT a gift in lieu of the cash - at least in our case. It's about US.

we/my wife, really enjoys the planning process, and this is as much of it as what clothes and 'stuff' to take on the next cruise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Why would anyone want this as a gift ? It's not as if it is of any relevance to the crew member.  

I figure since these cruise staff, mostly not from the US, would appreciate something to remember a place where the cruise ship had been & can attach it to their wall in their stateroom but according to your remarks I guess I’m wrong. I follow one cruise member who puts postcards on her wall to remember where she has been. 

Tom😀

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I figure since these cruise staff, mostly not from the US, would appreciate something to remember a place where the cruise ship had been & can attach it to their wall in their stateroom but according to your remarks I guess I’m wrong. I follow one cruise member who puts postcards on her wall to remember where she has been. 

Tom😀

I think, Tom, that most here know that crew members are mostly four to a tiny room, and its quite crowded.  Personal belongings are kept to a minimum for each of them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Better yet magnets with pictures of your kids or maybe even your dog.  The crew will love that.

DON

Since I’m single & don’t have any any animals, I was a professional photographer before & hopefully they will appreciate my photo. I explain my professional experience & want them to know who took the photo. 

I’m hopeful that they will enjoy it. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trbarton said:

. I follow one cruise member who puts postcards on her wall to remember where she has been. 

Sooooo, SHE gets to decide what she wants to remember, not some week long guest that she'll forget about when the next guest boards the ship. Although, I'm sure someone who hands her a tacky fridge magnet or socks will stick in her memory for some time. But not for the reason you think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Since I’m single & don’t have any any animals, I was a professional photographer before & hopefully they will appreciate my photo. I explain my professional experience & want them to know who took the photo. 

I’m hopeful that they will enjoy it. 

Tom😀

just so you know i love your photo and would love to buy a magnet of it.  

may i send it off for printing?  do you have any you can sell/send me?   i want to put it on my cabin door on my cruise from SF

thanks! 

• Like 2

My attempts at humor may not be appreciated by everyone but I do think it is nice that some go out of their way to do something for the crew. I'm sure that many crew members do appreciate it. I also think that many cruisers mistakenly think they are making real friendships with crew members.

I agree that cash tips are best. We tip generously but I do admit there have been times that I tipped or over tipped when it was not merited.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Keep in mind, that for religious reasons, many crew members cannot consume anything containing alcohol.  Your Bourbon Balls will end up being given away to someone who you never met. 

It's the thought that counts.  I'm sure it earns them points with the crew member to whom they're gifted.  Double bonus.

It's not as if she's giving them INSTEAD of a tip; they're something personal and somebody will be happy to get them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Incognito1 said:

It's the thought that counts.  I'm sure it earns them points with the crew member to whom they're gifted.  Double bonus.

It's not as if she's giving them INSTEAD of a tip; they're something personal and somebody will be happy to get them.

Perhaps it would be more considerate to give a box of chocolates that everyone could enjoy.  

1 minute ago, Incognito1 said:

Chocolate is good, but generic.  The bourbon balls are probably something they haven't tried before.  I think that anything -- when it's IN ADDITION to $ -- is appreciated.

Generic chocolate is wonderful and is loved by mostly everyone.  They haven’t tried bourbon balls before because the majority of the crew cannot do so.  If the generic chocolate is given from the heart the recipient will be even more pleased that they are able to enjoy and share.  It’s important to take everything into consideration before giving a gift.  

Cannot?  On what are you basing that? The highest percentage of crew members are Filipino, and they definitely drink alcohol.  Security forces are often Thai, which is largely Buddhist, so they wouldn't be consuming bourbon balls, but they're security anyway.  Eastern Europeans, in my experience, have developed more than the average amount of enzymes required to metabolize alcohol and will drink most people under the table. Mexican crew members are often Catholic and drinking abounds.  Alcohol is a big part of Chinese culture.  Trying to figure out which crew members you're referring to.

But you do you.  I'm sure that both chocolate and bourbon balls will find willing recipients.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Incognito1 said:

Cannot?  On what are you basing that? The highest percentage of crew members are Filipino, and they definitely drink alcohol.  Security forces are often Thai, which is largely Buddhist, so they wouldn't be consuming bourbon balls, but they're security anyway.  Eastern Europeans, in my experience, have developed more than the average amount of enzymes required to metabolize alcohol and will drink most people under the table. Mexican crew members are often Catholic and drinking abounds.  Alcohol is a big part of Chinese culture.  Trying to figure out which crew members you're referring to.

But you do you.  I'm sure that both chocolate and bourbon balls will find willing recipients.

You are being silly, now.  Have a lovely day.

The crew that passengers interact with on a daily basis and can tip (room stewards, waiters, bartenders) come from countries where there is little economic opportunity or job prospects.  What other reason would they take on a job where they had to work 12 hour plus days on a bare minimum salary?  They are working so they can support their families that they left.  If they are tipped in cash, it's more money they can send home.  Instead of spending $10 on chocolate, just hand the crew the $10 in cash that you would be spending on chocolate.  When you are working on such low wages every penny counts.

Not sure if I agree with the credit card branded gift cards.  It's under the assumption that the crew has free time to spend in port.  The cabin stewards, for example, have very little free time in port and many times choose to spend that time resting on the ship.  Also they have to spend the gift card while under contract.  While these gift cards can be spent internationally they incur a foreign transaction fee and some foreign merchants won't accept them.

Also, if you're tipping with gifts instead of cash make YOU feel better instead of the crew, don't tip.  It's self-serving from this perspective.

There is a universal appreciation for cash by everyone.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SCX22 said:

The crew that passengers interact with on a daily basis and can tip (room stewards, waiters, bartenders) come from countries where there is little economic opportunity or job prospects.  What other reason would they take on a job where they had to work 12 hour plus days on a bare minimum salary?  They are working so they can support their families that they left.  If they are tipped in cash, it's more money they can send home.  Instead of spending $10 on chocolate, just hand the crew the $10 in cash that you would be spending on chocolate.  When you are working on such low wages every penny counts.

Not sure if I agree with the credit card branded gift cards.  It's under the assumption that the crew has free time to spend in port.  The cabin stewards, for example, have very little free time in port and many times choose to spend that time resting on the ship.  Also they have to spend the gift card while under contract.  While these gift cards can be spent internationally they incur a foreign transaction fee and some foreign merchants won't accept them.

Also, if you're tipping with gifts instead of cash make YOU feel better instead of the crew, don't tip.  It's self-serving from this perspective.

There is a universal appreciation for cash by everyone.

Thank you.  Very well said.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

I musta missed that post where someone posted they 'tipped' in gifts INSTEAD of cash. 

• Like 1