On Venus

oskidunker

2 hours ago, LostFan#1 said:

We'll be on Venus for the Feb. 2024 Northern Lts sailing, so please post anything else you would like to report about the ship or this itinerary - I'm making a list!

Thank you!

It's going to be cold

You may or may not miss multiple ports

you may or may not see the northern lights

You may or may not experience very rough seas

I would suggest going through the past and present roll calls to see to how every cruise was different. 

The biggest mistake people make is not bringing appropriate clothing. Insulated waterproof boots are a must. Viking supplied spikes when necessary. Chemical hand warmers are good. If you are going to do the husky or snowmobile excursions goggles will help. 

The ship and food is no different than any other Viking Cruise. We found the room and public area temperature very good.  If this is your first Viking Cruise browse other posts about Viking. All Viking ships are the same. Other than the blue nose ceremony all of the activities are the same.

Most important is have a positive attitude. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 metre seas are normal in the area in winter. Viking do not take this into account when planning itineraries. 

Unless you have booked an overnight  excursion it is unlikely to be colder than, say, a winter day in New York. Climate data is easily available if required. 

The best chance of good seafood  is at the Bergen fish market. Unlikely there will be any on the ship. Anything labelled as British or English on the ship won't be authentic.

Pack earplugs, the acts are dire (not necessarily due to a lack of talent, the amplification was abysmal)

The blue nose ceremony is high in secondary embarrassment factor. All passengers get a certificate, so no reason to wait in line to freeze your assets. We walked through on the way to lunch in the world cafe, cringeworthy. 

Set bow cam volume to 10 to get the lights announcements without the waffle. Take a waterproof picnic blanket type thing as furniture on the balconies and deck 8 is not covered 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

5 metre seas are normal in the area in winter. Viking do not take this into account when planning itineraries. 

Unless you have booked an overnight  excursion it is unlikely to be colder than, say, a winter day in New York. Climate data is easily available if required. 

The best chance of good seafood  is at the Bergen fish market. Unlikely there will be any on the ship. Anything labelled as British or English on the ship won't be authentic.

Pack earplugs, the acts are dire (not necessarily due to a lack of talent, the amplification was abysmal)

The blue nose ceremony is high in secondary embarrassment factor. All passengers get a certificate, so no reason to wait in line to freeze your assets. We walked through on the way to lunch in the world cafe, cringeworthy. 

Set bow cam volume to 10 to get the lights announcements without the waffle. Take a waterproof picnic blanket type thing as furniture on the balconies and deck 8 is not covered 

Ok - cancel this one off the bucket list from this dire report.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Area at the time of year is nice, but Viking are not what they were. We are looking into a redo independently using local transport 

5 hours ago, azdrydock said:

It's going to be cold

You may or may not miss multiple ports

you may or may not see the northern lights

You may or may not experience very rough seas

I would suggest going through the past and present roll calls to see to how every cruise was different. 

The biggest mistake people make is not bringing appropriate clothing. Insulated waterproof boots are a must. Viking supplied spikes when necessary. Chemical hand warmers are good. If you are going to do the husky or snowmobile excursions goggles will help. 

The ship and food is no different than any other Viking Cruise. We found the room and public area temperature very good.  If this is your first Viking Cruise browse other posts about Viking. All Viking ships are the same. Other than the blue nose ceremony all of the activities are the same.

Most important is have a positive attitude. 

Thank you for all this - I have been reading through multiple Viking threads (first time on Viking Ocean) and roll calls to add to my list of what to pack and expect. I have certainly been made aware of the unpredictable nature of this cruise, which is helpful. Of course, I know Viking can't guarantee Northern Lts, specific ports, and smooth sailing, but we will determine to have a great cruise regardless.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I'm guessing there may be a tad of sarcasm going on here but if not don't cancel it off of your bucket list.

I don't recognise any of those criticisms at all, it's a really great trip. The blue nose ceremony was just a bit of fun, though I personally would not have got my kit off and into that water/ice for anyone. Everyone watching seemed to be having a fun time and the queue to self flagellate was enormous!

I sometimes wonder why folk who are so disgruntled/disappointed with Viking, continue to hang around here, it's so discouraging for those highly anticipating their first Viking cruises. Why not just move away to their new preferred lines on the CC forums. One chap who is also disparaging Viking repeatedly this week is doing the same on every conversation elsewhere on CC, I checked his history! Cynic that I am, it does make me wonder......

Constructive criticism is valuable for all of us as we know that Viking read these forums but spiteful, ill considered bitching really achieves nothing apart from upset and angst. For someone so concerned about appropriate behaviour, attire etc it would be appropriate to consider the effects of their repeated nastiness and argumentative attacks on this forum.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Last year we did the Northern Lights cruise in March. To sum up what we thought and what happened 

* it wasn’t the cold that bothered us it was the icy conditions underfoot as it was at the stage of weather where you had partial thaw then refreeze 

* We went on two evening excursions they were interesting but the lights didn’t show

* Excursions to ride with huskies got cancelled we even added in another booking but it went too

* They cancelled two ports so we ended up with four straight sea days

* We sure did bounce around on those four days 
* We had to cope with the daily testing so no wake up coffee to gently ease us out of bed 

Were we disappointed absolutely……….

not.

Here’s why

• It was the most scenic beautiful cruise we have ever taken

* The lights did show whilst we were at sea and what happy memories of Alex rounding up guests in the Explorer Bar saying get out get out then bringing us blankets. My iPhone took the most perfect photo without a tripod I still look at to cheer me up

* Our day with the Sami including our sleigh ride was the most beautiful cosy blue sky trip such a perfect day 

* Despite covid restrictions we loved the food and the low key but enjoyable entertainment wherever we chose to go

* The guest speakers were true experts and absolutely made out trip

We possibly expected to be one and done with Viking- absolutely not, we will return to explore Greenland with them this year and possibly make another booking onboard. 

Our Northern Lights cruise created such beautiful memories, not necessarily the ones we set out to create but memories we will treasure. 

Please keep it on bucket lists but go prepared for changes and grab the opportunity to see whatever beauty there is. You will not be disappointed 

Edited by uktog
Spelling
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DGHOC said:

I'm guessing there may be a tad of sarcasm going on here but if not don't cancel it off of your bucket list.

I don't recognise any of those criticisms at all, it's a really great trip. The blue nose ceremony was just a bit of fun, though I personally would not have got my kit off and into that water/ice for anyone. Everyone watching seemed to be having a fun time and the queue to self flagellate was enormous!

I sometimes wonder why folk who are so disgruntled/disappointed with Viking, continue to hang around here, it's so discouraging for those highly anticipating their first Viking cruises. Why not just move away to their new preferred lines on the CC forums. One chap who is also disparaging Viking repeatedly this week is doing the same on every conversation elsewhere on CC, I checked his history! Cynic that I am, it does make me wonder......

Constructive criticism is valuable for all of us as we know that Viking read these forums but spiteful, ill considered bitching really achieves nothing apart from upset and angst. For someone so concerned about appropriate behaviour, attire etc it would be appropriate to consider the effects of their repeated nastiness and argumentative attacks on this forum.

Is warning people of negative factors not valid? There are lots of negative posts on here, when I look up reviews of something the negatives are often most useful. I can then decide if that factor matters to me or not. 

There is nothing in my post that others haven't said, there were three sailings in a row where Viking didn't manage the whole itinerary. The sailing after ours lost two days of their holiday without sensible refunds. 

Viking blamed the weather, but there was nothing hugely out of the ordinary for the time of year, 5m seas is not a negative for us, but the ship fittings (tables, chairs etc.) are not set up for it. 

The best cruise line may vary depending on the itinerary. If I were to cruise in the area again we would book with Hurtigruten, for a med cruise Viking would be fine. 

Several people have said that Viking have gone downhill since covid, not just me. They are not the 'non luxury luxury line' they were.

We'd book with them again, but only if they were by far the lowest cost option, we would also book a basic room rather than our usual suite, and treat it as a budget (relatively speaking) holiday rather than semi luxury. 

I'm still on the Viking forums as If reports arrive that they are back up to standard we will revise our plans. Also information about destinations and technical information from the retired mariners is worth hanging around for

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 2

Northern lights visible from the ship and all the night excursions.  weather great except today in North Sea. 

soups phenomenal. Cesar salad good. Deserts still poor . Breakfast pastries good one day and bad the next. Better on Oceania. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Northern lights visible from the ship and all the night excursions.  weather great except today in North Sea. 

soups phenomenal. Cesar salad good. Deserts still poor . Breakfast pastries good one day and bad the next. Better on Oceania. 

I’m so sorry you are not happy with the desserts!  We just sailed with Viking Octantis and the desserts were fabulous!  There was a chocolate table one afternoon with an array of amazing treats.  I searched out the pastry chef to tell him the chocolate cake was the best I’ve had in my entire life, so good!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

I’m so sorry you are not happy with the desserts!  We just sailed with Viking Octantis and the desserts were fabulous!  There was a chocolate table one afternoon with an array of amazing treats.  I searched out the pastry chef to tell him the chocolate cake was the best I’ve had in my entire life, so good!

Apple strudel last night was awful. No apples and very doughy not light and flaky. 

3 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

Apple strudel last night was awful. No apples and very doughy not light and flaky. 

It most definitely depends on the staff onboard.  On a world cruise, when the chef rotates home the food changes notably with the new chef.  Sometimes better, sometimes worse.  Not all people work the same.

• Like 3

How long do the chef's rotations last, does anyone know? I wonder whether there is some sort of quality control implemented on the ship or do they rely on passenger feedback? 

Oh strudel is notoriously difficult to master, one of the most difficult pastries . Could they have just had a bad day or has it been consistently bad?

We rarely eat puds though the tiny raspberry tarts in Mamsen's hit the right spot. With the sour cream  they're not too sweet.

1 hour ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

I agree. I think the baker/pastry chef was left behind. It was very disappointing.

We had wonderful desserts aboard the Sky last January. It all depends on the skill of the pastry chef.

Ricotta cheesecake aboard the Sky:F928FBF4-C0CC-4F91-8E04-1F519EA39180.thumb.jpeg.91e9161c3b6548bbf38e762aba957601.jpeg

86EC4F8C-D2DB-4E24-8EBC-9418698BEDBA.thumb.jpeg.95d1b4fce984334b468dd74dbece73dd.jpeg

When we did the Grand European river cruise in 2016 the desserts were a work of art. Every night we waited in anticipation to see what the chef had prepared.

On 3/26/2023 at 4:01 AM, oskidunker said:

Freezing at 3:30 and gets back too late. Beware .

If you’re worried about freezing weather on a Norway cruise, may I suggest a land-based alternative at a similar latitude. The northern lights are reliable and sublime at the Chena Hot Springs Resort in interior Alaska. Just avoid waking up the sleeping bears and you’ll have a great time!

Best of all, you won’t have to worry about freezing weather at Chena, because the temperatures won’t come anywhere close to freezing. If you’re lucky, you’ll get to savor the lights while also savoring the point at which Centigrade and Fahrenheit temps are the same (minus 40 degrees). Brrrrr!

• Like 1

My favorite excursion on this cruise was Journey to the Polar  Park. Great weather and the experience with seeing bears 5 feet from the fence waving was amazing. Consider this. Guides were excellent. They have a web site. 

disembarkation was great. Had Viking transfers  Heathrow. Took an hour and a half. Flight was 4 hours late but Business Class was a  real help .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2023 at 12:38 AM, KBs mum said:

Is warning people of negative factors not valid? There are lots of negative posts on here, when I look up reviews of something the negatives are often most useful. I can then decide if that factor matters to me or not. 

There is nothing in my post that others haven't said, there were three sailings in a row where Viking didn't manage the whole itinerary. The sailing after ours lost two days of their holiday without sensible refunds. 

Viking blamed the weather, but there was nothing hugely out of the ordinary for the time of year, 5m seas is not a negative for us, but the ship fittings (tables, chairs etc.) are not set up for it. 

The best cruise line may vary depending on the itinerary. If I were to cruise in the area again we would book with Hurtigruten, for a med cruise Viking would be fine. 

Several people have said that Viking have gone downhill since covid, not just me. They are not the 'non luxury luxury line' they were.

We'd book with them again, but only if they were by far the lowest cost option, we would also book a basic room rather than our usual suite, and treat it as a budget (relatively speaking) holiday rather than semi luxury. 

I'm still on the Viking forums as If reports arrive that they are back up to standard we will revise our plans. Also information about destinations and technical information from the retired mariners is worth hanging around for

Are you referring to the February 12 sailing from London to Bergen? 
We were on that one, Viking did compensate us with vouchers. They also took care of the extra days in London. 
So all was not lost, in our opinion.

30 minutes ago, cal56girl said:

Are you referring to the February 12 sailing from London to Bergen? 
We were on that one, Viking did compensate us with vouchers. They also took care of the extra days in London. 
So all was not lost, in our opinion.

No, the one before that. The whole cruise was downmarket compared to previous and not worth the money. The onboard customer services staff were clueless and apparently unaware of relevant UK law. Two days floating about in the North Sea is not compensation for two missed ports in an allready drastically altered itinerary