MDR Menu in Blu?

ClaireyBear

25 minutes ago, ClaireyBear said:

Is it true that while dining in Blu, you can request to order from the MDR menu if there’s not anything you like? Would this offend the servers?

On the Beyond, we were not able to order from one of the MDRs.  So we went to the dining room of our choice instead of Blu.  

• Thanks 1

There is on caveat -  You can only do this on M and S class ships.      The waiters don't mind as the restaurants share the same kitchen area.

Due to location of kitchens this is not available on E-Class ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

S Class it can depend on staffing and how busy Blu is.  Unlike the M Class ships were the kitchens are in the same area, Blu’s kitchen is on Deck 5 aft and the MDR kitchen is on Deck 2 mid ship.  Making it quite away for a waiter to go to get a dish and return.

We have been told No more often than yes. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ClaireyBear said:

Is it true that while dining in Blu, you can request to order from the MDR menu if there’s not anything you like? Would this offend the servers?

It depends on the ship.  On edge class ship the blue kitchen and the other kitchens are separated and health department recommends that they not move foods between them. On Mand S class ships the kitchens are close and there’s generally no problem with ordering Main dining room food when you are in blue

• Thanks 1

Never tried on the E-Class.  It seemed late spring-early summer some ships like the equinox  (I was on in June) cited because of staffing issues they wouldn’t serve the MDR items other than the timeless classics.  I was back on her in Sept and they would allow it again

• Thanks 1

We were on an S-class ship and understood that the MDR kitchen was a distance away from BLU. We were not offered the option of ordering from the MDR menu.  I didn’t think it was fair to ask our server to take time away from serving others to get me MDR food. They do bend over backwards to try to please and probably would get something if asked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

We were on an S-class ship and understood that the MDR kitchen was a distance away from BLU. We were not offered the option of ordering from the MDR menu.  I didn’t think it was fair to ask our server to take time away from serving others to get me MDR food. They do bend over backwards to try to please and probably would get something if asked. 

Exactly.  On M class no issue as they share kitchen space. On S class it is a bigger ask, and sometimes they will do it but it takes time away from serving other passengers.  On S class I advise asking the day before so they can pre-arrange if you really want a particular dish. 

• Thanks 1

We were on Eclipse last month and we could order from the main menu in Blu without any issue. They were happy to help. We didn't have to pre order. They had the main menu at hand and a few people looked at it every night.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

We will be on Beyond in Blu mid April. May ask the first night to see there is a problem ordering off the MDR menu if there is nothing on the Blu menu that appeals to me. 
Or just go to MDR. But worth asking.

We asked twice on the Beyond  and the answer was "no".  So we went to a MDR  (Normandie) that night to get the menu that suited us.  Had a very good meal and service.  On another night, I ordered the everyday sirloin  in Blu which was excellent.

Edited by keesar
  • Like 1

We were on the Edge in December. One night, after we were seated in Blu and reviewed the menu, I really didn’t find anything exciting for me on the menu and asked for the salmon from one of the other main dining rooms, which i had done a couple of times on S-class ships over the years. I learned later (from the assistant waiter) that our main waiter had to do a mad rush to and from the far away kitchen for my salmon! I was embarrassed and included extra in the cash we usually leave at the end of the cruise for certain staff. 

My suggestion is to review the menus for Blu on the App and if nothing suits you, just go to one of the other MDR venues (all menus are on the App!) that day- I believe this is permitted. That said, we have sailed only in Aqua for many years and primarily because we love Blu! 

• Thanks 1