New Chair Hog Idea on Royal, Hope Celebrity Follows Suit

bookitdanno

"No reserving deck chairs.  Unattended items will be held at the towel stand"

From another photo on the thread where the original was posted.

Seems a bit useless to me if there isn't a time component and enforcement involved.  Is there an official rule associated with this?  Or just random depending on how the attendant feels that day?  IMO, it should be a hard and fast time limit and they should make regular sweeps of the deck.  I contend that half the time the "chair hog" chairs are really people just leaving used towels without any intention of reserving the seats (especially as the day wears on). 

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I contend that half the time the "chair hog" chairs are really people just leaving used towels without any intention of reserving the seats (especially as the day wears on). 

If people would just remove their used towels it would solve a good portion of the problem. Even just dump the towel on the ground if you insist on being lazy so it's more apparent the chair isn't being used.

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

If people would just remove their used towels it would solve a good portion of the problem. Even just dump the towel on the ground if you insist on being lazy so it's more apparent the chair isn't being used.

I agree completely, if that was not clear by my initial comment.  I also think X doing regular sweeps to clean up after people would help, too.  The problem is you never really know.  I've seen it go both ways, even late in the afternoon.  I also think it is unhelpful when X staff put fresh towels on the chairs.  It would be much clearer if everyone needed to retrieve a towel and then pick a spot.  Timed rentals would be even better.  Chair hogs are not unique to X or even to cruises, of course; there are plenty of things X could adopt but haven't.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

I hope not - think it looks really cheap and nasty

Seriously?  Nasty is people getting up at 6am to go outside in their bathrobes and put a shoe and a book on 5 chairs and come back at 10.  If they had pool attendants there they could just tell the people you can’t do that and take their stuff.   Don’t go to the pool till you’re going to sit your butt in a chair.  

• Like 28

Our cruise in February on the Beyond, we witnessed a couple placing towels / books on 13 loungers. We were in one of the pits and they "reserved" them around 8:30 and did not show up until noon. It was commonplace to see this happen every day.

Totally understand why they are doing this but agree with @hcat, it's crass.  Those people who do what @sun bum described need to have their things removed as it's just ridiculous and selfish.  On the other hand, if I am actively using my sun lounger and get up for a potty, bar, or French fry run, I fully expect to be able to step away without fear of having my things removed.   This ugly pink sign on the chair cheapens the pool deck, IMO and I hope Celebrity does not make this move.  Instead, if they are concerned about chair hogs, they need to place a marker on the empty chair and if it's not occupied after a certain period of time, say 30 minutes or maybe an hour, then by all means remove the things.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Totally understand why they are doing this but agree with @hcat, it's crass.  Those people who do what @sun bum described need to have their things removed as it's just ridiculous and selfish.  On the other hand, if I am actively using my sun lounger and get up for a potty, bar, or French fry run, I fully expect to be able to step away without fear of having my things removed.   This ugly pink sign on the chair cheapens the pool deck, IMO and I hope Celebrity does not make this move.  Instead, if they are concerned about chair hogs, they need to place a marker on the empty chair and if it's not occupied after a certain period of time, say 30 minutes or maybe an hour, then by all means remove the things.

I agree .

.at many resorts  pool monitors or attendants manage  okay without ugly chair collars. These will become unwanted trash

• Like 1

Doesn't Celerity already have a card that they'll put on a chair that they feel is unattended and if it's still there in 30 minutes they send the stuff to lost and found? Or at least they're supposed to be doing that I thought. 

4 minutes ago, 39august said:

I have frequently seen notes on pool loungers stating this on X ships. This is just bigger signs showing the same thing.

Yes, I have seen them too.  Small 4x6 post card type notifications placed in the center of the chair in tasteful blue and white coloring to match Celebrity's motif...much more tasteful and discrete.  Still begs the question on how they monitor for those who have stepped away for a bit to grab a bite to eat or use the restroom.

Chair Hogging starts early in the morning.

on our recent Edge cruise a good portion of the front row loungers by the pool were  “reserved” by 7:30 to 8:00 am, only to be first used around 10:30-11:00 

It was obvious but nothing was done about it

Next day, same loungers, same scenario

same folks

It’s obvious, the pool deck crew doesn’t care

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, yknot13 said:

Chair Hogging starts early in the morning.

on our recent Edge cruise a good portion of the front row loungers by the pool were  “reserved” by 7:30 to 8:00 am, only to be first used around 10:30-11:00 

It was obvious but nothing was done about it

Next day, same loungers, same scenario

same folks

It’s obvious, the pool deck crew doesn’t care

The next morning after they mark their chairs you should scoop up all the junk, piled it in an out-of-the-way place then leave to avoid any confrontation.  Maybe they would learn a lesson. 

Yes, I know that's an a****** move but they are being jerks by reserving spots when they aren't going to use them.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

The worst part about this is that instead of the people in charge handling it, they are forcing customers to be the enforcers, likely creating a hostile situation between cruisers (or, when nothing is done about it, essentially giving permission for bad behavior).

We had a situation on a recent cruise where there was an ice sculpting going on, and several people stood in front of the sculpture, blocking the view of about a quarter of the deck trying to watch. I witnessed several people ask nicely for the people to crouch down, and one guy turned around and yelled NO right in this woman's face. Finally, after 3 announcements and sufficient embarrassment by calling out the last remaining standers, they finally got out of the way.

Point is, cruise lines should be actively dealing with these kinds of situations and not encouraging a bunch of drunk strangers confronting each other as a way to resolve inconsiderate behavior of a few jerks.

Edited by PH2
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1