Did anyone just watch 'A Current Affair' about the lost suitcase?

2 hours ago, Jean C said:

She could also have gone out on deck in Fiordland, using a pool towel around her shoulders against the cold. I've often seen people do that on deck when it"s unexpectedly cold.

On Celebrity cruises I have seen small blankets provided.

DSC_0452.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jean C said:

She could also have gone out on deck in Fiordland, using a pool towel around her shoulders against the cold. I've often seen people do that on deck when it"s unexpectedly cold.

3 hours ago, Jean C said:

The way insurance companies try to wriggle out of claims, I wouldn't be surprised. Then they could try to "depreciate" the clothing for wear and tear and end up paying out nothing, hehehe

I am sure I read in a insurance pds once that they required receipts, if so how many would keep them for all the clothes they buy, I certainly don't. If my wife's suitcase had gone missing she would have been in Christchurch having a great time buying new clothes and a new case. As you say the pool towels would have done the job.

Just now, JohnGc said:

I am sure I read in a insurance pds once that they required receipts, if so how many would keep them for all the clothes they buy, I certainly don't. If my wife's suitcase had gone missing she would have been in Christchurch having a great time buying new clothes and a new case. As you say the pool towels would have done the job.

When we had a claim after a theft in Europe, I had to provide a receipt for a price of jewellery. Some clothes were also stolen, but we were not asked for receipts for them.

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

When we had a claim after a theft in Europe, I had to provide a receipt for a price of jewellery. Some clothes were also stolen, but we were not asked for receipts for them.

Thats good to know,Thanks.

1 hour ago, rkmw said:

Going to current affairs and there’s hope they’ll get a free cruise or some large compensation 

I know not everyone agrees, but I think they deserve it. I would be devastated to lose all my travel belongings, it had to have taken the shine off their holiday. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jean C said:

I know not everyone agrees, but I think they deserve it. I would be devastated to lose all my travel belongings, it had to have taken the shine off their holiday. 

I feel the couple involved deserve decent compensation, but I don't think they should get a free cruise.🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I feel the couple involved deserve decent compensation, but I don't think they should get a free cruise.🙂

Only If the cruise line was genuinely at fault ie the missing suitcase was "lost" in the service areas of the ship not in someone elses cabin. 

I haven't watched the TV piece but, seriously, anyone who can't find a basic replacement capsule wardrobe in a city the size of Christchurch is either being far too fussy or is incompetent. All she needed to do is ask someone where the nearest big shopping mall is - which would probably be Westfield Riccarton which has a Farmers department store, Kmart, a Bendon lingerie shop, a Hannahs Shoe shop, and probably a fair number of other clothing and shoe stores. I managed to pick up a very nice pair of black trousers in just a few minutes in an Auckland Farmers store and I'm a plus size. 

• Like 3

Its unfortunate that the lady, given her age and travelling experience hasn't developed the life skills to cope with a missing suitcase and is still crying about it long after the cruise has finished.

However, I would not like to see the cruise lines start giving out free cruises or major compensation for every missing suitcase. That would set a bad precedent and we'd all be paying more to cover it. Cruise lines and the travel industry in general avidly promote Travel Insurance. The higher the excess the lower the premium and vice versa, so you choose your level of risk.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

Its unfortunate that the lady, given her age and travelling experience hasn't developed the life skills to cope with a missing suitcase and is still crying about it long after the cruise has finished.

However, I would not like to see the cruise lines start giving out free cruises or major compensation for every missing suitcase. That would set a bad precedent and we'd all be paying more to cover it. Cruise lines and the travel industry in general avidly promote Travel Insurance. The higher the excess the lower the premium and vice versa, so you choose your level of risk.

My worry would be that if major compensation was given certain people would claim to have a missing (imaginary) suitcase just to get the compo.

• Like 2

The suitcase was returned to her at the conclusion of the cruise. I didn't see the part where she claimed that it was on board the whole time, perhaps it was left at the dock at embarkation.

RCCL are quite generous and provide $300 in compensation which is NZ$480. Plenty to buy everything needed to see out the cruise. Insurance would only come into it if the cruise line didn't provide adequate compensation and they could prove that the actual cost needed was much greater. But then, according to the story she just washed and wore the same outfit every day and (boohoo) had to stay in her cabin on Fjord day.

I still don't get why she had to wear her husbands jocks if she had her clothes washed each night and returned in the morning.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rkmw said:

Going to current affairs and there’s hope they’ll get a free cruise or some large compensation 

When will they learn. The threat of going to ACA is the play for compensation. Once the story has aired, their leverage has been thrown out the porthole. They were offered extra services N/C on the ship and were given OBC so they could get clothes or essentials from the shops aboard, so not like their plight was disregarded.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 6:47 AM, Jean C said:

The way insurance companies try to wriggle out of claims, I wouldn't be surprised. Then they could try to "depreciate" the clothing for wear and tear and end up paying out nothing, hehehe

They had no claim. The suitcase just went walkabout for the length of the cruise, not lost. They returned home with the suitcase and clothes intact. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yarramar said:

The suitcase was returned to her at the conclusion of the cruise. I didn't see the part where she claimed that it was on board the whole time, perhaps it was left at the dock at embarkation.

RCCL are quite generous and provide $300 in compensation which is NZ$480. Plenty to buy everything needed to see out the cruise. Insurance would only come into it if the cruise line didn't provide adequate compensation and they could prove that the actual cost needed was much greater. But then, according to the story she just washed and wore the same outfit every day and (boohoo) had to stay in her cabin on Fjord day.

I still don't get why she had to wear her husbands jocks if she had her clothes washed each night and returned in the morning.

The Lady's clothes were collected every morning and washed before being returned to her three hours later. During this time she "had to stay in the cabin". Firstly I would not have had the clothes washed every day and I would have washed them in the evening and dried them in the cabin. Her saying she had to wear her husband's jocks is crazy. I wash my underwear every evening and it dries quite well in the cabin.

She did say that RCL paid compensation. $300 would have been sufficient to buy a few things in the shop on board even if they don't sell underwear. The lady is quite slim so it is not as it she was a plus size and found it difficult to find things to fit.

I would have found the episode upsetting and disappointing, but I would not have let it spoil my holiday.

• Like 6

its  not a great feeling when something goes missing  and no-one is entitled to more then what  your item is worth   in this case  its a suitcase with womans clothing that may  have been a $100 suitcase and $300-$400 worth of clothing

RCCL  had offered priority laundry  while on the cruise and maybe they should have had a chat  about  can we get these washed  the night before  so they are ready for the next morning 

they was offered obc why didn't they choose some time to go  to where the shops  are and find something comfortable   to wear   even if it was a t shirts and track pants just to survive in why your  clothes  was being washed 

They finally had  the lost item,  although it may have been back at the terminal where they got their luggage back 

i agree with some of the other posters by going to ACA   they  have voided any compensation really  
if  rccl    didnt offer a brass razoo   then sure   go battle it out through the ombudsman or whoever for fair compensation   

no way i would have let this spoil my holiday   specially if i can wear clean clothes even its the same thing  day in day out    

Essentially instead of garnering sympathy from the cruising public this person has been shown up as a grasping idiot but, unfortunately, has damaged the reputation of cruising yet again to those who have never cruised before.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Essentially instead of garnering sympathy from the cruising public this person has been shown up as a grasping idiot but, unfortunately, has damaged the reputation of cruising yet again to those who have never cruised before.

i have never cruised in my life  , This current affair story would never make me judge wether i would cruise or not.

I reckon i could find thousands of stories that condemn all forms of travel  and if i believed all those dreaded Stories i would never  take another trip on plane bus or boat or any form of automobile  in my life.

i like to find out for myself  in life with in reason and judge myself   because everyone handles situatiomns differently     

i  feel  for the couple but i also feel rccl tried to please them  but they  made the situation worse for themselves by going to ACA in the 1st place

• Like 2

Does anyone wish for the days when This Day Tonight was on and would possibly have done a rebuttal story?  I'm sure they would have plenty of ammunition by just reading this thread.

• Like 2

Speaking to someone from the ship today who “ should know” what happened and they said the bag was delivered to the wrong cabin and there were three or four friends travelling together and somehow the bag was pushed under a bed in the room, each person thinking it was someone else’s bag. Hardly Royal’s fault and a generous $500 was offered to the woman as well as all the laundry etc.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Speaking to someone from the ship today who “ should know” what happened and they said the bag was delivered to the wrong cabin and there were three or four friends travelling together and somehow the bag was pushed under a bed in the room, each person thinking it was someone else’s bag. Hardly Royal’s fault and a generous $500 was offered to the woman as well as all the laundry etc.

That's the only explanation I could see. That it was delivered to the wrong cabin and only found at the end of the cruise. $500 plus free laundry is quite reasonable compensation in my opinion.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Hardly Royal’s fault and a generous $500 was offered to the woman as well as all the laundry etc.

Well, sort of. It would be if a Royal Caribbean employee delivered the bag to the wrong cabin. Hardly their fault that it was grabbed by someone that didn't own it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

Well, sort of. It would be if a Royal Caribbean employee delivered the bag to the wrong cabin. Hardly their fault that it was grabbed by someone that didn't own

Possibly the luggage tag came off and it was delivered with whatever bags it was near, or the people that had it were in an adjacent cabin and didn't check the labels. 

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Possibly the luggage tag came off and it was delivered with whatever bags it was near, or the people that had it were in an adjacent cabin and didn't check the labels. 

If the tag had come off, it would be Royal's fault for guessing where it should be delivered instead of taking it to guest services.

The latter makes sense and is likely what happened.

• Like 1

I've never been in a cabin that was big enough for 4 people to store an extra suitcase (that didn't belong to them) without someone asking the obvious question.

Even two people in a cabin are not going to have that much space, even under the bed, let alone just hanging around against a wall or something. Very strange.

• Like 1