Restaurant Dress code Ruby princess

travelmama06

@travelmama06, I see that you had posted on the Princess board before you posted here. Unfortunately, you posted to an existing thread that didn't deal specifically with dress codes. You could either go back to the Princess board and start a new thread identical to what you started here. Alternatively, take a look at this thread from the Princess board. While the subject is wearing shorts in the MDR, all aspect of dress are covered:

While you might find Princess to be a little more dressier than NCL both cruise lines are very comparable lately. Princess is no where near as formal as it was years ago.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, travelmama06 said:

We are interested in a Panama Canal cruise on the Ruby princess and would like to know their dress code for dining ?!

we usually cruise ncl and prefer casual dining experience !!

any information would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Princess is not strict about dress in the dining room, even on formal nights. I wear slacks, dressy top. Husband wears slacks & collared polo shirt. He might wear a sport coat if it's chilly, maybe not. You will also see evening gowns, tuxes, etc., on formal nights. But just as many are casually dressed. In the other eating venues you can go as casual as you wish. Hope this helps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was on the Ruby last week.  I did see a guy turned away for wearing shorts on a formal night. However, that was about the extent of the restrictions. I had heard that you also needed a collard shirt, but I didnt look too much. I  wore dockers type pants, a long sleeve shirt and a tie, but ties were rare. 

On non formal nights, I htink that people wearing shorts are seated and served.

d

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, travelmama06 said:

We are interested in a Panama Canal cruise on the Ruby princess and would like to know their dress code for dining ?!

we usually cruise ncl and prefer casual dining experience !!

any information would be greatly appreciated 🙂

So, Princess' documented dress code is a bit more formal than what has been posted, but all of us here are having to reconcile the fact that what princess has written down doesn't completely match what we have experienced.

Formal nights are not black time... anymore.  You'll be in good standing with a shirt and tie and slacks.  A jacket would be nice, but you can live without it easily.  I think women have it easier on formal night because almost anything goes, pantsuit, casual dress.  I'm convinced that shorts are a no go, and possibly ripped jeans, but if you are clean and presentable you'll be seated on formal night.

Resort casual is harder to define.  So the non-formal nights are resort casual.  I guess for guys polos and chinos are right in line.  I've gone to many a casual night dinner in the MDR with nice blue jeans and a polo.  My wife would also do jeans and some kind of flowy top.  I don't do shorts in the MDR for dinner, but the dress code doesn't seem to apply for breakfast and lunch, so shorts it is.

One hard line is no swimwear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rather than wonder about clothing, ask yourself, what are you are looking for on a cruise? Princess is about music and dancing venues, enrichment talks, Movies Under The Stars, a cut above most lines for food and drinks and they don't market to kids.  NCL you know already. Princess onboard vibe is more traditional, that's true. But I wouldn't let the question of what to wear for dinner give you pause. If you find this is the vacation you want, go with the flow, dress for dinner and enjoy.

• Like 3

This is one of those ad nauseum topics.  Realistically, you'll find all forms of dress on any night including formal nights.  On my very first cruise, I was surprised to see many older (than me) folks wearing a worn flannel shirt and wrinkled pants (and maybe a sweater) on a formal night.  After a number of cruises, I decided to leave my tux at home and bring a suit.  That lasted for one b2b cruise.  Now I might bring a blazer, dress shirt, slacks and a tie.  Not that I'll use them all at the same time, and I even left the blazer at home on our last cruise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1160451 said:

I told you 😂

What happens is, if someone posts a direct answer to that question, it's seen as dismissive, which is not intended. It's like there's no right answer, even if it directly answers the OP's question. Having said that, here is what Princess recommends, without my leaning one way or the other in personal opinion. Though someone will probably think it is.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

Click on Clothing Recommendations.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

What happens is, if someone posts a direct answer to that question, it's seen as dismissive, which is not intended. It's like there's no right answer, even if it directly answers the OP's question. Having said that, here is what Princess recommends, without my leaning one way or the other in personal opinion. Though someone will probably think it is.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

Click on Clothing Recommendations.

Perhaps they would like to know the reality of what's actually happening on the ships today and not what printed in the literature, which we all know isn't a true picture.

Anyone can go to the Princess web site & read the official info for themselves, but comments from recent cruisers is worth so much more. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 555 said:

Perhaps they would like to know the reality of what's actually happening on the ships today and not what printed in the literature, which we all know isn't a true picture.

Anyone can go to the Princess web site & read the official info for themselves, but comments from recent cruisers is worth so much more. 

This is true.  Either the formalist do not sail on Princess much or have not sailed for a long time if they still think it is all tuxes and bowties in the MDR on Formal Nights.  It just is not so anymore as so many have attested to on CC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 1160451 said:

Hi. My post may have sounded a touch flippant.

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. 
I had read Princess guidance but wanted to know if it was adhered to. 
Same as the original poster.

Well some of the replies bordered on the abusive, so much so the Mods pulled it.

Anyway, I’m on a Princess Cruise out of Southampton in 6 weeks.

The Tux is going and I promise not to judge those that don’t.

😂

We are cruising on Sky out of Southampton this Saturday. Both my white and black tux are packed and ready to go.

And, judging by the posts on another social media forum, there  is going to be a lot of formal wear. Us Brits like to dress up !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We haven't been on the Ruby in quite a while but I'm certain that they're just as casual as the other ships are these days. 

Enjoy your relaxed vacation in what ever dress style you choose.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2023 at 5:34 PM, wowzz said:

We are cruising on Sky out of Southampton this Saturday. Both my white and black tux are packed and ready to go.

And, judging by the posts on another social media forum, there  is going to be a lot of formal wear. Us Brits like to dress up !

We will also be sailing out of Southampton and my DH, also a Brit, will be taking his “dress up” clothes.  We never cruise into any US ports anymore, as we prefer Europe and the Mediterranean.  I think the difference is primarily American lifestyle and culture.  “Casual dress” in the US is much different than “casual dress” in Europe.  Even here in Canada, my sons wouldn’t even think about wearing shorts and t shirts to a nice restaurant.  When we cruise, my DH wears a nice jacket, with or without a tie, and nice dress pants on casual evenings and dresses up for formal evenings.  This is the norm for people on the cruises we take, so the “new casual” is not really anything we observe. 

On 3/30/2023 at 1:56 PM, 1160451 said:

Hi. My post may have sounded a touch flippant.

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. 
I had read Princess guidance but wanted to know if it was adhered to. 
Same as the original poster.

Well some of the replies bordered on the abusive, so much so the Mods pulled it.

Anyway, I’m on a Princess Cruise out of Southampton in 6 weeks.

The Tux is going and I promise not to judge those that don’t.

😂

Don't take it personally because probably more dress code threads have been blown away than any other topic short of Covid-19 threads in 2020 and 2021.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Looking at same ship/itinerary.  Live in hot weather climate.  Used to wearing hybrid shorts/golf shorts and on rare occasion golf pants so will bring 2 or 3 pairs. Tie not happening, jacket maybe. Jeans...not looking to shovel snow. Button up short sleeve or polo shirts. boat shoes or walking sneakers. Hasn't really been an issue at any land or cruise ship restaurant since COVID restrictions ended. They just want your money. 

Country Club casual is the way to go these days, you won’t be turned away, if you show up in a tee shirt and shorts more than likely you will turned away. Of course no one will be offended if you wear a sport coat, suit or a tuxedo but you will probably be in the minority. Personally we liked the days when everyone dressed up but as with everything else we are in a different day and age.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 10:34 PM, wowzz said:

It is more about luggage limits cruising out of Southampton lots of dressy clothes for me. Cruising out of LA a couple of nice summer dresses.

My next Princess cruise in February will be my first in Europe.  I’m planning to pack carry-on only.  I’m trying to understand if cruises in Europe do tend to be a bit dressier than those based out of the US.  I’m thinking of wearing wool trousers, a silk blouse and jacket for formal night.  Would that be dressy enough?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, katmu said:

My next Princess cruise in February will be my first in Europe.  I’m planning to pack carry-on only.  I’m trying to understand if cruises in Europe do tend to be a bit dressier than those based out of the US.  I’m thinking of wearing wool trousers, a silk blouse and jacket for formal night.  Would that be dressy enough?

Yes, that outfit will be perfect!  Don’t worry, just have fun.  I have a pair of black velvet flowy pants that only go on cruises paired with a couple of blingy tops.  Add a bit of jewelry and that’s it.  Ladies just don’t want to wear cocktail dresses or gowns anymore, so I’m slowly learning to transition.

• Thanks 1