How do people afford $20,000 suites?

Sigyn

25 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I feel like the poor little Red headed stepchild on this thread.  Not even close to most of you that have posted about your personal wealth. SIGH😇

Obviously you're not alone... but much of this thread is just comical to me.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I feel like the poor little Red headed stepchild on this thread.  Not even close to most of you that have posted about your personal wealth. SIGH😇

DH is a veteran who saw combat.  He NEVER talks about it unless in the company of others who saw combat and even then, it's rare.  My experience has been that the people who truly have money are very much like combat veterans...they're not talking about it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

DH is a veteran who saw combat.  He NEVER talks about it unless in the company of others who saw combat and even then, it's rare.  My experience has been that the people who truly have money are very much like combat veterans...they're not talking about it.

And most likely not on CC. 

Please thank your husband for his service. 

• Thanks 1

Well... You see there are upper class, middle class, and lower class. All cruise. Seriously - some people drive Lamborghini's, some drive Hondas. Some people live in mansions, some are homeless. I wear a Rolex, some guys at work wear a Timex. I'm not surprised at what some people can afford.

32 minutes ago, migrabill said:

Well... You see there are upper class, middle class, and lower class. All cruise. Seriously - some people drive Lamborghini's, some drive Hondas. Some people live in mansions, some are homeless. I wear a Rolex, some guys at work wear a Timex. I'm not surprised at what some people can afford.

If you could buy Rolex, but did not want to spend money on Rolex would you ask how other people do it?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, migrabill said:

Did you pay monthly installments for your watch , like 90% of people do for their $1600 phones.

Interested to hear more about your financial history 

please tell 😉 so many before you have 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

Did you pay monthly installments for your watch , like 90% of people do for their $1600 phones.

I guess people staying in suites for 20K are not 90% of cruisers,

By the way people may finance phones not because they cannot pay them right away.

Edited by Tatka

2 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

No need to get snippy. I was merely explaining that not everybody has the same income and means. The question “how can people afford X” is kind of strange right. Obviously some do it, others can’t. The world needs plumbers as much as they need doctors but not everybody earns the same salary. I don’t understand why you are getting sarcastic with me when you look at the question that was asked. 

2 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

How did you come to that conclusion?

i thought everyone on a cruise had an expensive phone, I was generous with my calculation of 90%

This should be easy. Number of suites for 20k pp on the ship.

Btw my phone is 1K (I finally got interested in photography and I do not want to carry my DSLR everywhere) . I pay installments for it because there is no difference in amount.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, migrabill said:

No need to get snippy. I was merely explaining that not everybody has the same income and means. The question “how can people afford X” is kind of strange right. Obviously some do it, others can’t. The world needs plumbers as much as they need doctors but not everybody earns the same salary. I don’t understand why you are getting sarcastic with me when you look at the question that was asked. 

Chill bill

read the whole thread and get onboard 

been here since the beginning looking after your financial data 🤣😂😅

5 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

How did you come to that conclusion?

i thought everyone on a cruise had an expensive phone, I was generous with my calculation of 90%

I’ve never paid $1600 for an iPhone and I’ve had them my entire adult life. I personally pay it in installments because it is free to do so.

1 minute ago, PompeySailor said:

Excellent 

OP there is your answer 

Solved how people can afford a $20k suite

They all have a $1600 phone on a 3 year plan 

Your logic is faulty. I hope OP knows that there is no reason to pay off depreciating assets with 0% interest.

• Haha 1

For you late comers

Suggest you back up a little and chill

Take a good look at all the personal information people have offered up on this thread,

Not just today but over the last week 

it is shocking how trust worthy folk are to disclose their wealth 

I know the bandwagon is always great at the end , FOMO 

But the horse pulling the wagon has been flogged to death 😎

Edited by PompeySailor
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 3:38 PM, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Just for the record, everyone posting in this thread is rich. 

I think we can all be judged as rich or poor. Just depends on the wealth of the person doing the judging.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I am a Viet Nam veteran who has seen things and done things most people refuse to believe. I don’t normally talk about unless someone asks. Same thing goes with if someone ask how I could afford a big ticket item such as a $20,000 suite.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

Here is my 38 year old Ford Fiesta XR2

still drives like a charm , 300,000 on the clock 

Frugal wins the race 

C75F815F-51B1-4990-BEC3-8DD23F1B0296.jpeg

Nah... we have new or near new Hondoyotas as my DH is crazy about something happening while we are driving and we used to commute a lot. )))  We also often drive to cruises 3-22 hours, but mostly 3 - 6.

1 minute ago, Tatka said:

Nah... we have new or near new Hondoyotas as my DH is crazy about something happening while we are driving and we used to commute a lot. )))  We also often drive to cruises 3-22 hours, but mostly 3 - 6.

We drive to all ports as well

Perks of living with 5 ports so beautifully placed around us.

• Like 4

I've spent $15-16k on suites where I had my own hot tubs on the balcony. One was originally 12k plus a 3k upgrade, $7k of that was from covid cancellation credits so I felt like I only "spent" $5k on that one and was justified to add for an upgrade to an amazing Edge Villa. (But I would NEVER have spent the $38k it would have cost for the Edge Villa outright)  

i will spent $20-30k all-in (once you include spa and add-ons) a few times a year but am also completely happy in an inside cabin--it is never about me, always about what will make my travel mates happy since I love to cruise and am introducing others.  I got "stuck" alone in an NCL Prima suite with hot tub and was so sad about the waste--thankfully I met awesome friends who hung out on my balcony!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PompeySailor said:

We drive to all ports as well

Perks of living with 5 ports so beautifully placed around us.

We have Boston, New Jersey, New York, Baltimore and used to be once a year Fort Lauderdale or/and Miami.

5 times a year... Not in suites.  )))

Mostly in insides  🤣 . We can do suites, but still trying to figure out why we need balconies. We will have them twice this year. Maybe I will step on them 2-3 times during 7-11 day cruises. If not then my snorkeling gear will dry there.

Edited by Tatka

14 minutes ago, Tatka said:

We have Boston, New Jersey, New York, Baltimore and used to be once a year Fort Lauderdale or/and Miami.

5 times a year... Not in suites.  )))

Mostly in insides  🤣 . We can do suites, but still trying to figure out why we need balconies. We will have them twice this year. Maybe I will step on them 2-3 times during 7-11 day cruises. If not then my snorkeling gear will dry there.

I gotta have my balcony.  I am out there at least 2-3 times a day for at least an hour each time.  My quiet morning coffee, sometimes a little afternoon nap and then a glass of wine & stargazing at night.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, acpalmer said:

If your household is at $400,000 a year, which is what you said, you are in the top 1.8% of households in America per IRS statistics.  You are rich.  You are wealthier than 98.2% of folks in the US--there is no way you can tell us you aren't rich with that income.

Bottom line is that, being “rich” doesn’t mean that people are willing to spend $20K on a suite on a cruise. 

Case in point, one of my pilot friends. He brings in $500K a year, lives in a multi million dollar new house, drives matching new Land Rovers with his wife (who also has a 6 figure income), kids are in $40K/yr private schools, goes skiing to high end resorts every spring, and takes golf trips with his buddies to Pebble Beach. But he says no way no how will he spend suite money to go on a cruise. Anything more than a balcony is a waste. 

More interestingly, he’s one of those guys that will still stop at the gas station for candy and hide it in his pockets when he goes to the movies. And he won’t go out for Mexican unless it’s $2.99 Margarita Tuesday. 😂

Everybody has priorities. Even “rich” people. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2