Do you think Silversea will ever phase out Butlers?

Sunny429

A few years ago, someone from the UK stated on one of these forums that; Americans like the butters because it makes them feel aristocratic, or something to that effect I cannot speak for all Americans, but I feel they are superfluous. Only once has a butler gone above and beyond, anticipating our needs. (We we’re cruising through the Gulf of Mexico on our way back to Ft. Lauderdale and the wave action was a little rough. Without us asking, he rang our doorbell, arriving with a lovely pot of tea. Just what I needed.) Other than that, I find I can make dinner reservations quicker and easier than asking the butler and what really gets to me is it’s one more person coming in and out of our room. If it weren’t for the other wonderful attributes Silversea offers, I’d choose another line.What do you all think? 

I hope not.  
I will admit though that the two in charge of our suite on Seabourn Ovation in November were great too ( just cruised the Moon in March from Rio to Barbados).

Edited by imcpa

4 minutes ago, imcpa said:

I hope not.  
I will admit though that the two in charge of our suite on Seabourn Ovation in November were great too ( just cruised the Moon in March from Rio to Barbados).

To my knowledge Seabourne doesn’t have “butlers” (at least they didn’t when we sailed with them a few years ago).. I’m referring to Silversea.

• Like 1

I know that.  My point is that even without official butlers, the suite service on Seabourn was great.

I have sailed SS four times and all of the butlers were great.

My short answer was I hope SS does not phase out butlers, but if they do it will still be great.

Edited by imcpa

When a friend we were traveling with came down with Covid on our June '22 cruise, the butler for our adjacent suites went way above and beyond for her when she was stuck in the quarantine suite. He brought her the snacks she wanted, brought her from us things that weren't on board but so we had to buy then in port, served her meals even though it wasn't his job. He was amazing!

Even though we didn't use his services much ourselves, we were so grateful for the extra care he gave our friend.

This is all to say, I hope that SS continues to employ men like this as butlers, because you don't know you need them until you do.

• Like 1

What a First World dilemma that one feels a butler is a bit over the top!

The room attendants are limited in what they can do so it’s nice to have someone who can do the rest including laundry, coffee, cocktail, meal service, providing refreshments when entertaining friends or celebrating special events.

The notion that a butler makes one feel aristocratic is just silly but perhaps there are those who feel rather privileged to have such service.  I just feel grateful I can travel in style.

BTW, we’ve had female butlers.

• Like 1

We have had some really excellent butlers and only a couple hose disappearance would not have been missed. Our first SS butler ended up a Hotel Director on SS before moving on to a very senior management role at another cruise line.

So I definitely don't want to see an end to butlers.

• Like 1

Nor do I.   We have now been on four cruises with SS.  I will admit that before the first cruise we were horrified at the prospect of a butler.  What on earth would we do with him. what in fact could he do for us.   How wrong we were.  

Our first three butlers were outstanding.  For the first cruises ever (and we have been on over 60) we never had to go to reception over anything, the first two were keen to sort out my probleims with ipad and iphone and the  wifi system - I am now savvy enough to sort those myself. .   The third used to rush up the corridor to unlock my cabin door - and if on my own negotiating the door with my rollator and the somewhat disabled me could be done but awkward and she would always say can I get you a pot of tea.  I had never ordered or asked for tea this came completely from her.  They were all lovely people.  

The fourth butler though very pleasant was not much use.  I asked for a stool for the shower which never arrived, on second request I did not get the stool but instead a raised toilet seat!  By then I had realised the cabin steward was much better.  He had the matter sorted in five minutes.  We also had problems on a rough night when the veranda door kept opening itself with a big bang and husband got up several times to shut and lock it again and to retrieve the curtains which blew out each time.  On telling our butler this he looked disinterested and implied it was just one of those things.   This was the one occasion reception was involved.  We love having dinner in the room once each cruise.

We are hopeful our two booked cruises we get a really good butler.

On Seabourn, no there are no butlers, but we really did not have much help.  Our cabin ceiling started to leak and it was decided they would have to move us.  The housekeeper had said the cabin is in total disarray, no-one except the plumbers could progress further than the bed.  She said go and have your dinner and when you get back someone will help you move.  The help was our cabin stewards who said the new cabin is unlocked, these things happen, just move yourself along.  Now I am disabled and normally my husband can manage such things but as they knew he was wearing a brace because of a broken top of his arm.    No way could we move our cases etc about 8 suites along.  He was really annoyed and went to guest services and demanded the promised help and also a key to the new room.  A lovely housekeeper came and apologised and took our stuff along.  We however, failed to get new key because guest services said they never issued them on the last day of the cruise so we had to stay in rhe cabin that evening.   Goodbye Seabourn.

So please keep the butlers!

Our recent cruise on the Moon completely changed my mind about butlers. Wellesley, our butler, was out-of-this-world superb! Anticipated all of our needs and wishes. Reminded us of various options available. Never forgot a request and delivered on everything in a timely manner. Made our cruise more enjoyable. He was so good that I fully expect him to be working in management in a few years. 

• Like 2

For me, a waste of a butler. 

I am very low maintenance and quite capable of looking after myself.

I found one to be over intrusive and rearranging things that he need not / shouldn't have touched in the first place. He cleaned shoes that hadn't been worn since he last cleaned them. 

Within days I asked him - nicely - to leave us alone and that we would call him if needed 

To the original point ..

I could see SS dropping the butler from 'normal' verandah suites, (keeping the price constant) and offering them to the higher suites with a suitable price increase of course 😏

• Like 1

We are self sufficient and don’t really care if we have a butler, it’s not a value add for us.

We do like having the ice bucket and wine and drinks replenished.

Free laundry/dry cleaning would be ten times more valuable.

On our recent cruise I did find the multiple butler visits, along with cabin steward, intrusive.

SS is the only line we have cruised that did not service your room while you were at breakfast. Other lines quickly figured out when you had breakfast and the suite was done when you returned. On SS the lone cabin steward started at one end of the corridor and worked down. We were at the end so got service around 11 AM. Then the butler would visit. Butler would visit again in afternoon.

Edited by broker1217

We're fairly low maintenance, but we've always been happy to have a butler.  Something always seems to come up, and it's been wonderful to have a butler help.

For example, I recall our very first SIlversea cruise.  It was formal night.  I put on my tux jacket to head out, went to button it, and . . . the button is gone.  I would swear it was there when I packed it, but we don't have a button.  I wave off the whole thing--no reason to worry--I can live without a button.

We walk out of the room.  Our Butler is in the hall and asks if all is well.  I make a bit of a joke and say something about how it would be perfect but for a button.  It's no joke to her, man!  She ushers us back into the room and asks for my jacket.  About 10 minutes or so later, she's back with a new button on the jacket.

That ain't happening without a butler.

There are plenty of other stories where a butler has made our cruise remarkably better, whether by fulfulling a request or anticipating a need (or a bit of both).  It's one of the reasons we cruise with Silversea when we do.

• Like 4

I am enjoying reading the responses. We are very self sufficient as well, but it’s nice to learn all of the things that a butler can do for guests. Replacing the button was awesome! Also, it never I occurred to me that I could order a mixed drink while I’m getting ready for dinner. 
I think I’m still a little miffed about our previous butler who was a bit intrusive. One morning, I was lying on the sofa reading in our suite and I hear a faint buzz of the doorbell and almost immediately afterwards he came in. I was “decent”, but there sure wouldn’t have been time to become so if I wasn’t. We exchanged pleasantries and then he continued to talk about his idol for at least the next 30 minutes.

I am American but not impressed by having a butler. But then I'm not impressed by a lot of things that other people seem to care about, like expensive watches and designer clothing.

I had some difficulty coming up with things to ask. On an upcoming trip I will have a better idea of what is helpful.

An example of a very useful thing was a very early in-cabin breakfast on the arrival day.

I'm not sure if I will end up giving a butler enough things to do but I've decided it's not my problem. Like back when I had a fraction of a secretary and didn't have much to ask.

A butler is toward the bottom of the list of the things that make Silversea attractive. For the record: a major attraction is that there are not miscellaneous charges for tips, drinks, food, etc. etc.

27 minutes ago, pavementends said:

I am American but not impressed by having a butler. But then I'm not impressed by a lot of things that other people seem to care about, like expensive watches and designer clothing.

I had some difficulty coming up with things to ask. On an upcoming trip I will have a better idea of what is helpful.

An example of a very useful thing was a very early in-cabin breakfast on the arrival day.

I'm not sure if I will end up giving a butler enough things to do but I've decided it's not my problem. Like back when I had a fraction of a secretary and didn't have much to ask.

A butler is toward the bottom of the list of the things that make Silversea attractive. For the record: a major attraction is that there are not miscellaneous charges for tips, drinks, food, etc. etc.

Perhaps Champagne and caviar waiting on your Verandah when you return from an excursion?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, pavementends said:

Hi, I am very low maintenance and I don't worry about whether I give the butler enough things to do.

That thought has never even occurred to me to be totally honest.  I have 2 or 3 things I ask for at the beginning of the cruise and never thought about it after that......if something comes up? I will find them.

But as for "giving them enough things to do".......never crossed my mind.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

To the original point ..

I could see SS dropping the butler from 'normal' verandah suites, (keeping the price constant) and offering them to the higher suites with a suitable price increase of course 😏

I certainly hope not - that flies in the face of Silversea's approach of providing core service offerings to all suite categories and just because some do not wish to avail themselves of the butler's services does not mean that Silversea should make additional fundamental changes to their pricing/service strategy. Silversea's butlers for all suite categories are a key differentiator from other luxury lines.

As busy executives in our work lives, my friends and I have found that for us, the butlers add a unique element that signals "relax, you're on vacation - here is someone who is here to take care of things aboard the ship for you so you can feel enjoy yourself and feel well taken care of". The best butlers have added an element of "surprise and delight" by doing things you would likely never think of asking someone to do for you - without you asking. 

If you don't wish to have a butler, just tell him/her that you prefer not to use their services.  There are many of us who wish that Silversea would offer a post-cruise butler package to help us with withdrawal when we return home! 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If they ever dropped the butler service, or restricted it to the high end suites, I would be seriously bummed out.  We don't use the butler very much, but having the availability of a butler for certain things adds a special touch to the trip.

But more importantly, I would consider it strong evidence of an overall decline in the Silversea experience.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Spotbattman said:

Have you seen that the ‘new’ Crystal Cruises are offering a Butler Lite option on some on their suites? I think this might be a way forward. 

The way I understand it, all cabins have “butlers” but the lower end cabins have “junior butlers”. Guess that means, don’t expect much. 

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

The way I understand it, all cabins have “butlers” but the lower end cabins have “junior butlers”. Guess that means, don’t expect much. 

Any idea what the difference is?   Could it just be the number of cabins the regular butlers have vs the junior butlers?

What a mostly sad exchange of views.   We are very low maintenance but happy to have someone to fill our fridge with water and wine and to pick up and drop off our laundry and to offer and provide nuts and nibbles to accompany a late afternoon glass of wine.   If there were no butlers there would need to be more cabin attendants to do all the jobs the butlers do.   Apart from anything else they provide a "buffer" between guest and cabin attendant, if there is something wrong you tell the butler, you do not upset the cabin attendant, the butler will fix it.   There is nothing posh or aristocratic about having a butler, they are just there if you need them if not it is easy to politely ask them to leave you alone unless you ask for them.   Simple.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2023 at 10:16 PM, Spotbattman said:

Have you seen that the ‘new’ Crystal Cruises are offering a Butler Lite option on some on their suites? I think this might be a way forward. 

And if Manfredi had done that at Silversea it would have been called cost cutting.

• Like 1