Mini-golf? Really?

clackey

I know that the powers that be are cutting a lot of things at Carnival.  I didn't mind cabin service cut to once a day.  We usually nap in the afternoon and don't see any reason to nap on a made bed.  The changes in the menu is nothing to us.  I can always find something I like and plenty of it.  Even the price hike on tips seems reasonable too.  The help needs to make a living too, but why in the name of Julio, would they get rid of the golf balls and replace them with PLASTIC?  We sailed the Valor this year and there was no way that you could play golf with the wind blowing that chape plastic golf ball all over the deck.  Are the other Carnival ships using plastic?  Someone at Carnival needs to fire some bean counters.

• Haha 3

Definitely a reason to switch to another cruise line.

The last time I played mini-golf on Carnival a couple of months ago, they used real golf balls.  I don't know what the story is with your experience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was on the Valor in November 2022 and the Glory in February 2023.  Both had real golf balls.  Balls were blown around on both ships.

I quickly learned to put the ball on one of the nails/screws or against the side of the pad, preferably near a corner.  The nails/screws create slight dimples in the pad.  The edge of the pad slightly gripped the ball.  This didn't stop all movement, but it made it much more manageable.  Anywhere else at the hole was a crapshoot.

Edited by Tiger0613
  • Like 1

I thought it was all due to the environment. Real balls will never die. The soft ones break down in water, I believe.

Just like years ago when you could tee off the back of some ships/yachts, they have special balls for that.

It's been too long since I was on Carnival to recall whether the putt-putt balls were sturdy or not (I wager not), but I definitely remember they were very soft and light on our RCI cruise last year, so it's not just Carnival. As someone mentioned, could be they are "better" environmentally if they fall in the ocean (Seinfeld anyone? 🤣). But probably there is a supplier out there that cut the ships a great deal, and the bean counter buying replacements chose price over weight. 

George Golf Ball.jpg

• Haha 3

Just now, Saint Greg said:

I don't know if I'd want my balls to blend in though.

General color is where the similarity ends! 

You could probably sell these up there - just camp out and spot the right people, lol

Tom

• Haha 1

I have kids. I say that because of my next sentence, I have seen many unattended kids hitting them hard and all over. The softer balls might be a safety improvement, or an environmental improvement. However, kids (mostly) hit them so hard and around they lose them and I dont think carnival replaces them very quickly. Last cruise it was a long wait later in the week.

As a result- I have had thoughts about bringing our own balls so that we can play when we want. It might be awkward to "cut" in line and then walk off with our balls. But they are my balls, you can only play with them if I consent to it! 🙂

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

General color is where the similarity ends! 

You could probably sell these up there - just camp out and spot the right people, lol

Tom

I'd bring something unique if I was going to do it. I don't want anyone thinking I'm playing with their balls.

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I'd bring something unique if I was going to do it. I don't want anyone thinking I'm playing with their balls.

Just find some that are obviously over-sized (unless smaller is desired).  🙂

Tom

19 minutes ago, Denverdonkeys said:

I have kids. I say that because of my next sentence, I have seen many unattended kids hitting them hard and all over. The softer balls might be a safety improvement, or an environmental improvement. However, kids (mostly) hit them so hard and around they lose them and I dont think carnival replaces them very quickly. Last cruise it was a long wait later in the week.

As a result- I have had thoughts about bringing our own balls so that we can play when we want. It might be awkward to "cut" in line and then walk off with our balls. But they are my balls, you can only play with them if I consent to it! 🙂

You could always bring your own putter too. That would get some attention!!

Tom

I am confused by this thread.  We play mini-golf every cruise - it's one of our goofy things we like to do.

The balls haven't changed since 2017, AFAIK.  They are lighter weight than standard golf balls, because that way you can't nail someone with the hardness of a real ball.  Maybe there are environmental reasons too.

We just sailed on Magic in Dec, and they were the same balls as every previous cruise as far as I can remember...

😕

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I am confused by this thread.  We play mini-golf every cruise - it's one of our goofy things we like to do.

The balls haven't changed since 2017, AFAIK.  They are lighter weight than standard golf balls, because that way you can't nail someone with the hardness of a real ball.  Maybe there are environmental reasons too.

We just sailed on Magic in Dec, and they were the same balls as every previous cruise as far as I can remember...

😕

Not sure when it happened - but in years past, they were like regular Putt-Putt balls, the last couple of times (Liberty, at least) they've been much lighter.

Tom