Crown Grill for Vegetarian

Momma Rene

On 4/9/2023 at 12:41 AM, Momma Rene said:

My husband and I love the Crown Grill.  We would like to treat our daughter who is sailing with us.  However, she is a vegetarian.  We don't like the Sabbatini's menu.  Is there anything special on the Crown Grill that she would enjoy?  Hate to waste the upcharge.....

Is she Vegan or will she eat dairy? Your best bet is to contact the Maitre D in the dining room that is paired with your room.He/She will be best able to help.

13 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Is she Vegan or will she eat dairy? Your best bet is to contact the Maitre D in the dining room that is paired with your room.He/She will be best able to help.

I don’t understand what the MDR has to do with eating in Crown Grill

• Like 2

I am a vegetarian and we usually eat at the Crown Grill twice during a week as my husband likes his filet.  When I have asked about vegetarian entrees, I am usually offered an entree from whatever restaurant is closest to the Crown Grill, if it's the Italian restaurant, I end up getting the eggplant.  If I don't ask for anything special, I will order a salad, asking for the items I won't eat to be left off, a baked potato with no toppings and the asparagus.  It/s fine for me, I don't have a big appetite and it leaves room for bread and dessert if I want it.  I don't know if that would do for your daughter or not.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, memoak said:

I don’t understand what the MDR has to do with eating in Crown Grill

Sorry. You still should meet with the Maitre D of Crown Grill. They are your best source of info.

3 hours ago, fabby50 said:

I am a vegetarian and we usually eat at the Crown Grill twice during a week as my husband likes his filet.  When I have asked about vegetarian entrees, I am usually offered an entree from whatever restaurant is closest to the Crown Grill, if it's the Italian restaurant, I end up getting the eggplant.  If I don't ask for anything special, I will order a salad, asking for the items I won't eat to be left off, a baked potato with no toppings and the asparagus.  It/s fine for me, I don't have a big appetite and it leaves room for bread and dessert if I want it.  I don't know if that would do for your daughter or not.

What if the dessert has dairy? Will you still eat it?

46 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Sorry. You still should meet with the Maitre D of Crown Grill. They are your best source of info.

Big difference between Maitre d’ (Director of Restaurant Operations) and Head Waiter (Assistant Manager).  Assistant Managers are leads in restaurants.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

This is why I’ve never minded the extra cost steak in the dining room menu.  I don’t need to pay $39 to eat salad, a baked potato and asparagus i  the Crown Grill, and DH can have filet every night in the dining room if he wants to pay for it. 

Exactly right.

For a couple,  spending $80 in the CG is silly, if one diner is a vegetarian.  

Go to the MDR of your choice, and your partner can have a steak for $20.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rbtan said:

What if the dessert has dairy? Will you still eat it?

I am a vegetarian, not a vegan, I eat dairy, mostly on vacation, but have some types of yogurt and cottage cheese at home.  I don't eat eggs.  I am a work in progress, maybe I'll make it to veganism before they put me in a box 🙂  Usually, by the time I've eaten a roll, a salad, a baked potato with vegetables, I am full and am satisfied with a spoon of my husband's dessert or just coffee.  I sometimes ask for berries, they seem to accommodate that, you can also ask for anything to go.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Exactly right.

For a couple,  spending $80 in the CG is silly, if one diner is a vegetarian.  

Go to the MDR of your choice, and your partner can have a steak for $20.

We never eat in the MDR, gave that up years ago when they started reducing the staffing.  Everything seems rushed, servers overworked, tables crowded, etc.  What is "silly" to some people makes sense to others.  We go to the specialty restaurants more for the service, the staff, the atmosphere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Big difference between Maitre d’ (Director of Restaurant Operations) and Head Waiter (Assistant Manager).  Assistant Managers are leads in restaurants.  

Often just supervisors.  Depends on the ship.

They try to trick passengers by wearing the same jackets as head waiters.

15 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If you are on a line such as Cunard, the manager of the restaurant IS the Maitre D.This is the person who is best at handling issues such as this. I've been in this field for over 30 years.

11 hours ago, WALKER1313 said:

As a recently diagnosed Vegan (yes I know) I am studying the menus prior to our three specialty dinings provided by our travel agent. Hoping for the best. 

Diagnosed Vegan? You make it sound like an illness LOL!

17 hours ago, rbtan said:

Diagnosed Vegan? You make it sound like an illness LOL!

Actually, it could be. When you have a gene that makes you produce cholesterol like a cholesterol factory..... then you become vegan. It can be quite a bummer!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Save your money, go to the main dining room and order The vegetarian special it’s called a volcano see  photo she will love it 🥰  

Tony,

The Captain of The Rowboat 

DSCN1172.jpeg

IMG_1393.jpeg

Great idea Tony, but ice cream is not vegetarian, unless it is made with a non dairy product. I know... It is a bummer.

1 hour ago, nini said:

Great idea Tony, but ice cream is not vegetarian, unless it is made with a non dairy product. I know... It is a bummer

I would say that most ice cream is suitable for vegetarians,  but not for vegans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There seems to be lots of confusion on this thread.

In general:

Vegetarian eats no meat or fish products or by products (would not eat gelatine for example). Vegetarians DO eat dairy, eggs, honey. Essentially, if it was alive and needs to be killed to be eaten, then a veggie won't eat it. Also can be known as lacto-ovo vegetarian.

Vegans eat no meat, fish, by products, dairy, eggs or honey. Vegans won't eat anything that comes from an animal whether or not it had to be killed to obtain it.

Pescatarians eat fish, but not meat or by products of meat. 

These are essentially the main three categories. People who say they are vegetarian but eat bone broth are not vegetarian! People who say they are vegetarian but eat fish are pescatarian. And people who say they are vegetarian but eat chicken (you have no idea how many times I've heard this) no you're not! You're a person who chooses not to eat most meats, but you're not a vegetarian! Words matter, and it's important that people know what these words actually mean, especially if they're in the hospitality business or a chef in a hotel or a cruise ship. 

There is a 4th category of ovo-vegetarians who apparently exclude meat, fish, by products and dairy but do eat eggs, and in spite of the fact that this category is very rarely used (I've pretty much never heard it here in the UK) perhaps it is common on the USA and that's why people seem to think vegetarians don't eat dairy? I can't say I've ever seen this description used when I've been in the States either. And Princess clearly don't use that description, as a lot of their vegetarian marked dishes contain cheese (although more on that below). Yet when I order my meals (I'm gluten-free, and also vegetarian), I have to explain that I can eat cheese and dairy, so even the servers and chefs seem to have some kind of confusion between what the menu says is suitable for vegetarians, and what they think vegetarians eat.

And now for some useful info that might actually be relevant to the thread......

If you are vegetarian, then you should not be eating parmesan onboard unless they can specify it has been made with vegetarian rennet. Traditional parmesan is made using animal rennet, and in Europe, cheese is not allowed to be called parmesan unless it us made in the traditional way. I have had this discussion not just with Princess, but many other cruise lines. It is something to be aware of, and really frustrating, as a lot of the dishes marked as vegetarian on Princess contain parmesan. Every time I've asked about it, I've been told it is traditional parmesan, so I've had to ask for the dish to be made without it.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, nini said:

Actually, it could be. When you have a gene that makes you produce cholesterol like a cholesterol factory..... then you become vegan. It can be quite a bummer!

This is why I started, my father had a double bypass at 45, we produce cholesterol like crazy.  I am a vegetarian, but only eat small amounts of non fat or low fat dairy.  I did eat fish for a couple of years in my 20s, but that's been decades ago.  Became a vegetarian at 18 and I'm 65 now, no heart problems have come up yet and I'm the only one in the family that hasn't had problems.  It works.

Ladyshopper23 - good job on the explanation, I gave up years ago trying to explain it 🙂

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

I would say that most ice cream is suitable for vegetarians,  but not for vegans.

Well, some definitions I looked up, said that vegetarians are to not have animal dairy products.

@Ladyshopper23 did a nice rundown.

Personally, people need to do what they need to do.

I also will add the WFPB Vegan, which also are to not eat any oils, refined flour or sugars, or added salt. Yes, this extremely challenging on a cruise ship, but very doable at home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nini said:

Well, some definitions I looked up, said that vegetarians are to not have animal dairy products.

@Ladyshopper23 did a nice rundown.

Personally, people need to do what they need to do.

I also will add the WFPB Vegan, which also are to not eat any oils, refined flour or sugars, or added salt. Yes, this extremely challenging on a cruise ship, but very doable at home.

Never seen that sort of definition of vegetarianism,  certainly not in the UK.

This carton of milk clearly states that it is suitable for vegetarians.

IMG_20230417_194537927.jpg

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Never seen that sort of definition of vegetarianism,  certainly not in the UK.

This carton of milk clearly states that it is suitable for vegetarians.

IMG_20230417_194537927.jpg

I guess the two countries vary on their definitions.

Hi nini, my comment about eating ice cream was a joke 😄. I feel sorry for all my vegetarian friends that can’t have ice cream. BTW I will be eating ice cream until they take me to the concrete condo.🍦 😋

Tony

The Captain Of The Rowboat

Edited by Lucky TGO

6 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi nini, my comment about eating ice cream was a joke 😄. I feel sorry for all my vegetarian friends that can’t have ice cream. BTW I will be eating ice cream until they take me to the concrete condo.🍦 😋

Tony

The Captain Of The Rowboat

Please enjoy that delicacy for me! My favorite is Mint Chocolate Chip.