Crown Grill for Vegetarian

Momma Rene

My husband and I love the Crown Grill.  We would like to treat our daughter who is sailing with us.  However, she is a vegetarian.  We don't like the Sabbatini's menu.  Is there anything special on the Crown Grill that she would enjoy?  Hate to waste the upcharge.....

My travel mate is a vegetarian but does eat seafood.  Very limiting. Mushrooms, spinach in a cream sauce, baked potato. Dependent on strict her diet is, will she include cheese or beef broths?  

23 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My travel mate is a vegetarian but does eat seafood.  Very limiting. Mushrooms, spinach in a cream sauce, baked potato. Dependent on strict her diet is, will she include cheese or beef broths?  

Please explain how beef broth would be vegetarian.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Please explain how beef broth would be vegetarian.

My travel mate is a vegetarian by choice (food not philosophy).  She will eat milk products, eggs. seafood, and bone broth/beef broth (not the meat).  I don't judge her for her claim to be a "vegetarian".  I have other friends who are very strict vegetarians and abstain from all animal products.

We dine one night in the Crown Grill and the other night in Sabatini's (for her).

Without knowing the OPs daughter's restriction and limitations, I am only offering alternatives. 

Forgot to add asparagus.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My travel mate is a vegetarian by choice (food not philosophy).  She will eat milk products, eggs. seafood, and bone broth/beef broth (not the meat).  I don't judge her for her claim to be a "vegetarian".  I have other friends who are very strict vegetarians and abstain from all animal products.

We dine one night in the Crown Grill and the other night in Sabatini's (for her).

Without knowing the OPs daughter's restriction and limitations, I am only offering alternatives. 

Forgot to add asparagus.  

Your friend is not a vegetarian if she eats seafood and bone broth or beef broth. Both Crown Grill and Sabatini's serve seafood dishes.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Your friend is not a vegetarian if she eats seafood and bone broth or beef broth. Both Crown Grill and Sabatini's serve seafood dishes.

I will repeat myself again.  I didn't say she was or wasn't a vegetarian.  SHE "claims" to be a vegetarian.  I do not judge her nor do I tell her "she is NOT a vegetarian".  

Again, I was offering the OP options to eating in the Crown Grill.  If daughter is a true vegetarian, then this is not a place for her.  I am sure they use butter in everything they prepare.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I will repeat myself again.  I didn't say she was or wasn't a vegetarian.  SHE "claims" to be a vegetarian.  I do not judge her nor do I tell her "she is NOT a vegetarian".  

Again, I was offering the OP options to eating in the Crown Grill.  If daughter is a true vegetarian, then this is not a place for her.  I am sure they use butter in everything they prepare.

Many vegetarians are not vegan and thus will consume animal products such as milk, eggs, butter, but not consume the animal itself such as pork, beef, fish.

If a vegetarian wants to eat at the Crown Grill, I suggest going there in advance and speak to the headwaiter about what vegetarian alternatives they can prepare that would make the cover charge seem worthwhile.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There is a salad and also asparagus (in addition to the items mentioned above).

Here is a menu:

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/Crown-Grill-Menu-Sample.pdf 

I have several friends who rave about the Chilean Sea Bass. Not sure if they eat seafood but if so, plenty of seafood options.

Honestly - my steak last time wasn't that good but the sides were really good so I mostly ate sides.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

My husband and I love the Crown Grill.  We would like to treat our daughter who is sailing with us.  However, she is a vegetarian.  We don't like the Sabbatini's menu.  Is there anything special on the Crown Grill that she would enjoy?  Hate to waste the upcharge.....

No. Speaking as a vegetarian,  there is a total of 1 salad (the one with avocado dressing) and maybe the French fries. That's it unless she's a pescatarian instead of vegetarian. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ombud said:

That's it unless she's a pescatarian instead of vegetarian. 

Was waiting for this.  One of our best friends is a pescatarian - that is a vegetarian who also eats seafood (both fish and shellfish for him).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ombud said:

No. Speaking as a vegetarian,  there is a total of 1 salad (the one with avocado dressing) and maybe the French fries. That's it unless she's a pescatarian instead of vegetarian. 

Is asparagus not vegetarian?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

How would you be treating your daughter if there is little on the menu that she will eat?  Treat to the experience?  The ambience?  It seems she would have much more choice eating in the MDR or buffet?  EM

• Thanks 1

It is probably best to speak to the Head Waiter at the Crown Grill when you board. Ask about any special meals they prepare for vegetarians and see if this is something your daughter would enjoy.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

How would you be treating your daughter if there is little on the menu that she will eat?  Treat to the experience?  The ambience?  It seems she would have much more choice eating in the MDR or buffet?  EM

Wow.  I'm pretty sure that was the entire point of OP posting the question.

• Like 2

@Momma Rene, I might suggest that you just show your daughter the Crown Grill Menu that is posted on the Princess web site.  Let her decide whether she can make it work.

If she is pescatarian I (a regular red meat eater) will vouch for the Chilean Sea Bass.  The Mussel Pot, which is Mrs. XBGuy's Crown Grill "go to" dish, usually has sausage.  So, that is a definite "No,"

• Like 3

As a former strict vegetarian (not vegan) of over 30 years, Sabatini's is a much better fit for a vegetarian. Although you might not "like" the menu there, it's a better choice if your aim is to "treat" your daughter.

• Like 2

I am pescatarian and my husband is vegan.  We will go to Crown Grill and Sabatinis on our upcoming cruise.  In our experience, we can review the menu in advance and they will accommodate. We do this at home when dining out too and never have a problem.  

• Like 3

We've eat in Sabatini's a few times (CG is much better!), but the chefs have always accommodated those at the table with special requests, even making one of our friends a one-wholly-off-menu meal.  Yes, he was well tipped!

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 2:46 PM, Incognito1 said:

We've eat in Sabatini's a few times (CG is much better!), but the chefs have always accommodated those at the table with special requests, even making one of our friends a one-wholly-off-menu meal.  Yes, he was well tipped!

Wonderful!  I was looking at the old Sabatini's menu.  I understand it has been changed and it is terrific.  

I actually think @memoak said it best: 

On 4/9/2023 at 9:41 AM, memoak said:

The Crown Grill is not set up for vegetarians it is a Steak House. You could check with the manager about alternatives but Sabatini’s has more non meat dishes 

• Like 1

My DH and I eat fish and seafood now but for years we were strict vegetarians.  CG was extremely difficult back then and not worth the up-charge, but it’s nice now because their fish and seafood is lovely.  I would recommend Sabatini’s, as there many more options to choose from.  

• Like 2