New to Carnival - Cheers question

mook1525

Hello!

I will be boarding on Magic in 4 month and cannot wait!!!

I used to cruise on RCI but wanted to visit Bimini and Norfolk is only 1 hour drive from my house!

I have booked pretty much everything but Cheers.. 

here is the dilemma- I drink a lot but my wife doesn’t. Not for medical nor religious reason.. she just doesn’t drink alcohol 😂 and not really drink coffee or mocktails either.

my understanding is both adults in same cabin must purchase Cheers package, right?  It would be waste of money for my wife.

Will Carnival allow just bottomless bubbles package for my wife?  Royal allows 2nd adult to purchase less expensive drink package but it looks like Carnival only has one Cheers package.

thanks in advance!

It's not like rcl, both have to purchase. I have not heard of exceptions on carnival. 

If I'm wrong someone will tell me, but I havent seen exceptions allowed on carnival. ...at least cheers is priced less. I tried it twice but didnt get my money's worth. Wouldnt again but it was worth trying.

My wife doesn't drink either (other than sips here and there of mine) due to stomach issues.

While yes, she could get other items, coffees bother her, and she doesn't drink soda either.

So only way it'd be worthwhile is if she gave every drink to me, but I don't need that much per day!  

6 frozen drinks, 5 cocltails or 8 beers a day to break even for one person.  I'm usually too tired, to worn out from the sun etc to go overboard with drinks anyway so per-drink has always worked the best.

15 hours ago, mook1525 said:

Hello!

I will be boarding on Magic in 4 month and cannot wait!!!

I used to cruise on RCI but wanted to visit Bimini and Norfolk is only 1 hour drive from my house!

I have booked pretty much everything but Cheers.. 

here is the dilemma- I drink a lot but my wife doesn’t. Not for medical nor religious reason.. she just doesn’t drink alcohol 😂 and not really drink coffee or mocktails either.

my understanding is both adults in same cabin must purchase Cheers package, right?  It would be waste of money for my wife.

Will Carnival allow just bottomless bubbles package for my wife?  Royal allows 2nd adult to purchase less expensive drink package but it looks like Carnival only has one Cheers package.

thanks in advance!

No exceptions.  Royal's package is significantly more expensive, purchasing the Royal Deluxe package and a non alcohol package is almost the same price as two CHEERS with fewer options

Edited by Elaine5715

The only way to skirt this on Carnival is to split your reservation when traveling with two (or more) children when booking two staterooms.  You list one adult and one child in each stateroom.  They cannot force a minor to purchase because they are not of legal age.  Presto-you can purchase one drink package.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 10:26 AM, 1025cruise said:

There are no exceptions to the rule that everyone in the cabin must buy cheers. Not even if your wife was pregnant.

That seems wrong - unless Carnival is condoning a pregnant woman drinking alcohol. Though, they probably know their guests pretty well, and figure that a number of them would fake/forge documentation.

One of my staff members just discovered last week that she is pregnant. We're all going on the Celebration later this month, and she already purchased CHEERS for her and her husband.

Oh well !

Tom

2 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

That seems wrong - unless Carnival is condoning a pregnant woman drinking alcohol. Though, they probably know their guests pretty well, and figure that a number of them would fake/forge documentation.

One of my staff members just discovered last week that she is pregnant. We're all going on the Celebration later this month, and she already purchased CHEERS for her and her husband.

Oh well !

Tom

Whatever exception they allow, suddenly there will be a ton of pregnant women or Mormons or whatever traveling with their companions who see value in Cheers, and somehow their companion will hit their limit of 15 drinks every day.

Carnival's reason for not allowing exceptions is 1) they know their guests will lie and share, and 2) the Cheers package includes other drinks so a nondrinker can still get value from the package.

There are a lot of people out there who think, we can each have a good cruise if we split Cheers and each drink 7 drinks a day or so. Sorry, doesn't work that way.

It's just a question of math for the cruisers at this point. Does it make more sense to pay per drink, or buy Cheers even if the wife doesn't drink.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Oh well !

Tom

That suggests that Carnival would be responsible for determining who should/should not be drinking alcohol and that applies to many, many health issues.  There is value in having CHEERS while ordering beverages without alcohol. 

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

It's just a question of math for the cruisers at this point. Does it make more sense to pay per drink, or buy Cheers even if the wife doesn't drink.

Indeed - yep, I'd hope that he'd be better off paying per drink than paying double for CHEERS !

Tom

48 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

That suggests that Carnival would be responsible for determining who should/should not be drinking alcohol and that applies to many, many health issues.  There is value in having CHEERS while ordering beverages without alcohol. 

Yes, when I was posting this I also had recovering alcoholics and others (religious reasons) in mind.

It is what it is though!

Tom

• Like 1

Just now, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Indeed - yep, I'd hope that he'd be better off paying per drink than paying double for CHEERS !

Tom

Often when people are faced with that reality, the truth comes out that the wife does drink. It's just that they thought they could each drink 7 drinks or so a day, or whatever combination to arrive at 15 total, and save half on Cheers. It's a fine plan, frankly my wife and I would love that option - but it's not an option. Oh well.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mz-s said:

Often when people are faced with that reality, the truth comes out that the wife does drink. It's just that they thought they could each drink 7 drinks or so a day, or whatever combination to arrive at 15 total, and save half on Cheers. It's a fine plan, frankly my wife and I would love that option - but it's not an option. Oh well.

I agree.  I wish there was another level (10 drinks per day?) that Carnival can keep track of and cut you off when limit is reached. Call it Cheers Lite?😉

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I agree.  I wish there was another level (10 drinks per day?) that Carnival can keep track of and cut you off when limit is reached. Call it Cheers Lite?😉

What I would love is a non-alcoholic package that includes specialty coffees.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

I think that would hit the sweet spot for too many people, in other words, I don't see that happening... LOL

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1