Global Entry TSA

Moxiefurball

I have NEXUS which includes Global Entry benefits. It is worth every penny. After a long overnight flight from Johannesburg to JFK the immigration lines were massive. GE lanes were quiet, I zipped through and a few minutes later was sipping a coffee in minutes waiting for my onward flight to Toronto. That's just one example of several where NEXUS/GE made my life easier. You won't regret getting it. 

On 4/9/2023 at 9:25 AM, bjkTX said:

We took a British Isles cruise last Fall and went through Heathrow.  It was a total disaster and it took hours getting through various lines that just led to other lines.  Other than when we were in the military we haven't really done any international travel in years.  While in a line at Heathrow with several thousands of others I saw the Global Entry desk off to the right with 6 people being processed.  I was determined that when we got back home I would check it out.  Several of our credit cards will pay for it, but since we almost always received TSA Pre-check when we travel in the USA I just never considered it.  But as soon as we got home I started checking and like the last poster said there were no Global Entry locations local and the one I could find an hour away didn't have appts as far out as 6 months.  Since we don't have any plans for another international trip I decided to just get the TSA Pre-check which was local and I could get an appt anytime.  But if we ever decide to go international again I will definitely look at Global Entry again.  I have occasionally looked at future cruises out of Southampton and just say no way I'm going through that again without GE!

Please explain what the Global Entry is doing at LHR? I thought Global Entry was on!y in the USA?

We received Global Entry last September and will be flying into and out of LHR this June. Any help at LHR would be very welcome. That place is a zoo.

Thanks!

On 4/10/2023 at 7:30 AM, bjkTX said:

Thanks for that clarification.  So what I was seeing at Heathrow obviously was people applying for GE - not using it.  We use it and don't have a handy place to sign up - they don't use it and have a big sign up area.  Sounds like a government thing 🙂

I'm just not following your comments about GE and LHR.   How was it obvious people were applying for GE at LHR?    See post #50 - are you confusing GE with LHR E-Gates?  

One thing I do understand is LHR isn't the friendliest airport to negotiate.  

8 hours ago, nini said:

Please explain what the Global Entry is doing at LHR? I thought Global Entry was on!y in the USA?

We received Global Entry last September and will be flying into and out of LHR this June. Any help at LHR would be very welcome. That place is a zoo.

Thanks!

Has nothing to do with GE, but you are eligible to use the e-gates at LHR.  That may not always be obvious from the signs.  Assuming you are holding a US passport, you are eligible to use them.   

49 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm just not following your comments about GE and LHR.   How was it obvious people were applying for GE at LHR?    See post #50 - are you confusing GE with LHR E-Gates?  

One thing I do understand is LHR isn't the friendliest airport to negotiate.  

Ok - I give up - sorry I mentioned it 🙂  When we were in line at our terminal at Heathrow there was a section along the wall that looked to be about 20-30' long and if I recall it was roped off and the sign on the wall above it said "Global Entry."  There were maybe 8-10 people doing whatever they were doing.  I get it - GE doesn't do LHR.  But at the time, seeing that, and not knowing any different I assumed people were using GE instead of being in the line with the other 2,000 people.  What it actually was - maybe a one day event - maybe just information - I don't know.  And now - I don't even care :-)

9 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

Ok - I give up - sorry I mentioned it 🙂  When we were in line at our terminal at Heathrow there was a section along the wall that looked to be about 20-30' long and if I recall it was roped off and the sign on the wall above it said "Global Entry."  There were maybe 8-10 people doing whatever they were doing.  I get it - GE doesn't do LHR.  But at the time, seeing that, and not knowing any different I assumed people were using GE instead of being in the line with the other 2,000 people.  What it actually was - maybe a one day event - maybe just information - I don't know.  And now - I don't even care 🙂

I'm sorry I asked.  

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Has nothing to do with GE, but you are eligible to use the e-gates at LHR.  That may not always be obvious from the signs.  Assuming you are holding a US passport, you are eligible to use them.   

That is what I thought. Where would the E-Gates be at LHR? We do have US Passports.

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, nini said:

That is what I thought. Where would the E-Gates be at LHR? We do have US Passports.

Thanks.

After that loooong walk to get to customs, you will see signs pointing the way to the e-gates.  

26 minutes ago, nini said:

Thanks.

They are in the main immigration hall. You can't miss them. They make entering the UK a much smoother and faster process. 

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

After that loooong walk to get to customs, you will see signs pointing the way to the e-gates.  

LOL! That is one of the reasons we are not fond of LHR. We will look for them.

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

They are in the main immigration hall. You can't miss them. They make entering the UK a much smoother and faster process. 

Thanks! We will be on the lookout.