Global Entry TSA

Moxiefurball

I've only flew once into the USA (from Bahamas) in the four years I've had it; the rest of the flights have been in the USA.  I purchased it for the purpose of not having to take my shoes and belt off when going thru TSA and it has worked for all but once.  I like it for the somewhat hassle free experience you get in the airports.

• Like 2

It isn't even $100, it is an additional $15 when added to TSA Pre-check. Well worth it. The last Carnival cruise we got off and they took a picture and we were done at Customs. We have used it many times coming into the US from overseas and It is so quick and easy. Go the Global Entry area, put your hand in the fingerprint reader, use the camera to identify yourself, answer a few short questions and you are on your way, no long lines like when you go through Customs. 

• Like 6

My credit card pays for it. Definitely worth it.

About 7 years ago I was speaking with a friend who had just flew home from overseas. She said "I would have paid $700 to make that line go quicker"..... She got Global Entry and is so thankful I mentioned it to her.

And it includes TSA Pre-Check. So worth it!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

If you ever fly internationally I would pay double or triple the price for it, but as others have said a lot of credit cards will credit you for it and it includes Precheck.  You literally walk up to a kiosk, which there are generally plenty of, it scans your face and you keep walking. Thats it unless you have something to declare in which case you can just speak to the CBP Officer there.  You almost don’t even have to stop walking its that quick.  

• Like 3

If you fly internationally to/from the US it is worth it. As an example a few years ago flew into Houston. Very long lines for immigration. With Global Entry we were through in 10 minutes. Some friends of ours on the same flight without Global entry said that it took them over 2 hours.

We had only Pre-Chek for a couple of years (DUMB!).  When I picked up a Delta AMEX card (that reimburses for either) we went the Global Entry route.  I guess one reason that we did Pre-Chek first was that it was a hassle (at the time) to get an appointment to do the Global Entry interview.  I just didn't want to deal with it.  However...after several international trips where I saw people just *breeze* through that Global Entry line I resolved to "get it done".  I got lucky.  While there are no GE interview sites in our immediate area, there are 4 cities within about 100 miles that offer appointments.  I just kept watching over the "main" cities that I would have assumed would be a better chance...then one day on a whim I tried branching out with my search.  Lo and behold, Huntsville, AL had 2 appointments for the very next day!  I snapped them up and we just made a short road trip and it was a done deal.  Interview lasted all of 5 minutes (if that)!  I never even knew that Huntsville would "rate" a customs office!

• Like 1

We took a British Isles cruise last Fall and went through Heathrow.  It was a total disaster and it took hours getting through various lines that just led to other lines.  Other than when we were in the military we haven't really done any international travel in years.  While in a line at Heathrow with several thousands of others I saw the Global Entry desk off to the right with 6 people being processed.  I was determined that when we got back home I would check it out.  Several of our credit cards will pay for it, but since we almost always received TSA Pre-check when we travel in the USA I just never considered it.  But as soon as we got home I started checking and like the last poster said there were no Global Entry locations local and the one I could find an hour away didn't have appts as far out as 6 months.  Since we don't have any plans for another international trip I decided to just get the TSA Pre-check which was local and I could get an appt anytime.  But if we ever decide to go international again I will definitely look at Global Entry again.  I have occasionally looked at future cruises out of Southampton and just say no way I'm going through that again without GE!

My favorite trip is to cruise in Alaska.  I saw the lines I had to wait in to get Into Canada, and then another trip I saw the lines to get out!  Then I found out that NEXIS is $50 for 5 years which includes global entry and TSA precheck.  The lines were so long, I was thinking, "I would pay $50 to not stand in THIS line just now!"

In addition, there was a port (I dont remember if it was Seattle or Vancouver), but you could use the Global Entry line to speed the process to get on the ship as well! 

As others have said, the lines for normal entry are DEEP and LONG, but the Global Entry or NEXIS have plenty of machines and I ve never had a wait! 

Add to that Precheck, not only lets you keep your electronics in a bag, but I now also have a CPAP machine, so it is much easier to get through security on any flight!

IF you Fly out of some especially busy airports (like Orlando!) even the TSA PreCheck lines are long, so you may want to consider the Clear Me Lines. They go even faster for domestic flights!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Our credit card provider reimburses us for this so for us it's free.  No brainer.  You might check your credit card benefits and see if yours provides it too.  

The cards that provide Global Entry reimbursement are generally limited to travel cards and generally have an annual fee (sometimes waived the first year).

Even if you only use it a couple of times to re-enter the US in the 5 years, it's well worth it.  No standing in the miles-long lines.  You just breeze right through.  Plus you get TSA pre-check for all your flights.

Like others have mentioned, it is kind of a hassle to get the first time because you have to have an "interview" and fingerprints, but renewing is much easier.  

• Like 1

Flew into San Diego yesterday from LHR on BA.   SIL has Global Entry, I do not because of citizenship.  I beat him thru immigration.  Global Entry had long lines.  The aircraft was at full capacity.  

5 hours ago, Torfamm said:

If you are near Canada, Nexus is a cheaper option with the same advantages 

Nexus only gets you in and out of Canada.  Splurge and get Global Entry ($15 more than TSA pre-check).  I fly a lot domestically.  Used it to re-enter from Japan at Tom Bradley LAX.  Dedicated line, breezed right through.  

Only problem is trying to get an appointment for your interview.  I was really lucky.  I was in Hawaii just before the pandemic when there was a cancellation at the airport.  I understand they might be doing online interviews now?  

4 minutes ago, sirclean said:

NEXUS includes Global Entry as well as TSA Pre-Check.  It is $50 for 5 years. 

No I’m afraid it does not include Global Entry per the gov website. It only includes entry from Canada and “May” include TSA pre-check. 
Here is a link to the page that explains it. 

https://ttp.dhs.gov

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Only problem is trying to get an appointment for your interview.  I was really lucky.  I was in Hawaii just before the pandemic when there was a cancellation at the airport.  I understand they might be doing online interviews now?  

Several airports have interviews available for those arriving from international flights (no appt necessary).

• Like 1

As a Nexus Card Holder, I can assure you that my global entry and TSA precheck came with my Nexus approval.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus/card

"

Entering the United States

All NEXUS members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry at no additional cost through using the Global Entry kiosks for entry at participating airports."

"

Why You Should Join

Membership in the NEXUS program allows you to reduce your wait times at designated ports of entry by:

• using dedicated processing lanes at land border crossings,
  • using NEXUS kiosks when entering Canada,
  • using Global Entry kiosk when entering the United States, and
  • calling a marine telephone reporting center to report your arrival into the United States and Canada
    "

As for TSA Pre-Check

"

• Like 1

"

If you are a U.S. citizen/lawful permanent resident and you provided provided your passport information and your fingerprints were collected at the enrollment interview, you will automatically be eligible for Global Entry benefits. If you do not have passport information or fingerprint information on file, you will need to visit a Trusted Traveler Enrollment Center in order for CBP to capture this information.

"

https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/faq?lang=en

In reading the entire info section at the link I provided the homeland security site clearly states that Nexus is for entering the USA from Canada only while the TSA pre check (think pre-boarding screening) is included for any USA flights when passing through security prior to a flight. That’s all I can say about that. 

I think we may be saying the same thing. Anyone with Nexus pass can enter quickly when coming into the USA from Canada and does allow for using the Global Entry lane at the airport in that instance. Flying into the USA from any other country under a Nexus pass does not qualify for Global Entry.  

Here’s the link again:  https://ttp.dhs.gov/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1