Global Entry TSA

Moxiefurball

It is my understanding that I was qualified for Global Entry when I applied and passed the Nexus process.  I am able to use my passport in any global entry kiosk when arriving into the US from any country, not just Canada. 

https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/faq?lang=en

"f you are a U.S. citizen/lawful permanent resident and you provided provided your passport information and your fingerprints were collected at the enrollment interview, you will automatically be eligible for Global Entry benefits"

• Like 1

Another one:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/frequently-asked-questions

"

For NEXUS and SENTRI Members at Global Entry Kiosks

All current NEXUS members, and U.S. citizens and U.S. lawful permanent residents who are SENTRI members, are eligible to use Global Entry kiosks once they provide fingerprints and document information to CBP. If CBP already has your fingerprints and document information on file, you can use Global Entry kiosks without further action and at no additional cost

• Like 1

However,  when I looked at this article, it indicates that you may be right and I need to explore this some more:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/travel/global-entry-vs-nexus

Since I usually fly internationally to Canada, the Nexus has been best (as indicated in the article).  For other international travels, I am usually on a ship, and it hasnt mattered as there are no ports (except one in Seattle of Vancouver (I forget which) That has a global entry kiosk. 

I did look at my Trusted Traveler site, and the link to upgrade to Global Entry was not activated, indicating that I already have it! 

So I will ask some questions when I next get to a Big Airport with a Global Entry location! 

Global Entry is great when returning to the USA. A couple of years ago we returned to the the USA with another couple on the same flight from Heathrow to Atlanta. My wife and I had Global Entry, the other couple did not. My wife and I breezed through customs. It took almost two hours for our friends to clear Customs and meet up with us.  

Get Global Entry! 

5 hours ago, pompeii said:

Even if you only use it a couple of times to re-enter the US in the 5 years, it's well worth it.  No standing in the miles-long lines.  You just breeze right through.  Plus you get TSA pre-check for all your flights.

Like others have mentioned, it is kind of a hassle to get the first time because you have to have an "interview" and fingerprints, but renewing is much easier.  

After 10+ hours on a flight from Europe to SFO the last thing I want to do is stand in line for 45 minutes.   GE rocks!   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Flew into San Diego yesterday from LHR on BA.   SIL has Global Entry, I do not because of citizenship.  I beat him thru immigration.  Global Entry had long lines.  The aircraft was at full capacity.  

Could be the line for returning US citizens is a lot longer than the line for non-US citizens.  I commonly see very long lines at SFO compared to the GE line.   Long, like it serpentines back and forth so many times you need motion sickness meds.  😀

This article reinforces what I believed (That you can use Global Entry anytime you enter the US, not just from Canada). 

https://thriftytraveler.com/guides/global-entry-vs-nexus/

"

Our Analysis

When considering Global Entry vs NEXUS there are a few factors you need to consider. If you frequently travel between the US and Canada via land and/or air, NEXUS will likely be the better choice. It is cheaper and allows for expedited entry when crossing the border by car, something Global Entry doesn't yet offer. Additionally, at a cost of only $50 and the fact that it is free for minors, you can save a bit of money by opting for NEXUS. Especially if you live near the Canadian border and often cross it with your vehicle.

On the other hand, if you often travel internationally outside of Canada, the NEXUS program will lose much of its value. If you live in the southern part of the United States, finding an enrollment center to complete your in-person interview would be tough as they are only located in the northern US. Once you have it, you can use it at any Global Entry kiosk when entering the US, but getting it will be more difficult."

Also:

"

People also ask

Does NEXUS include Global Entry from Mexico?

Entering the United States

All NEXUS members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry at no additional cost through using the Global Entry kiosks for entry at participating airports.
Sep 25, 2015
"

I initially got TSA Precheck, but my sister decided to get Global Entry.  We applied, and she was able to get an interview in PHL while visiting her daughters.  The nearest center for me was Atlanta, but no appointment available for months.  But there were lots in MIA.  So I booked an early flight from JAX to MIA, walked the length of the terminal to the well hidden office, got my interview and okay, walked back to the far terminal, got my commuter flight back to JAX and drove two hours home.  I viewed it as an adventure.  The only time we really used it was coming back from Nassau after an all Bahamas cruise.  There was USA pre clearance at the airport and long lines everywhere.  I spotted the global entry kiosk and no lines.  We breezed through.  I had to renew last year and did it all online.  No interview needed.  EM

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ldtr said:

If you fly internationally to/from the US it is worth it. As an example a few years ago flew into Houston. Very long lines for immigration. With Global Entry we were through in 10 minutes. Some friends of ours on the same flight without Global entry said that it took them over 2 hours.

Ouch!

2 hours ago, sirclean said:

However,  when I looked at this article, it indicates that you may be right and I need to explore this some more:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/travel/global-entry-vs-nexus

Since I usually fly internationally to Canada, the Nexus has been best (as indicated in the article).  For other international travels, I am usually on a ship, and it hasnt mattered as there are no ports (except one in Seattle of Vancouver (I forget which) That has a global entry kiosk. 

I did look at my Trusted Traveler site, and the link to upgrade to Global Entry was not activated, indicating that I already have it! 

So I will ask some questions when I next get to a Big Airport with a Global Entry location! 

I think this is pretty clear:

Entering the United States

All NEXUS members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry at no additional cost through using the Global Entry kiosks for entry at participating airports.

When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card. 

If you are traveling with persons into Canada or the United States that are not NEXUS members, you must use the regular lanes.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus/card

Edited by Steelers36

"d. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card."

You do NOT use your NEXUS Card in the Global Entry kiosks. Your passport record includes the global entry with it. You use your passbook Book in the Global Entry Kiosk. 

As I indicated, I m pretty positive that the process of Getting the Nexus card Included Global Entry. However, the Nexus Card includes an RFID chip that helps with land crossings.  Global Entry is used in the Kiosks and requires the passport to be scanned. There is no longer a Global Entry Card for US Citizens (as I understand it).  You simply use your passport and the kiosk reads your biometric  information  (finger prints and eye scans)

Edited by sirclean

23 minutes ago, sirclean said:

"d. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card."

You do NOT use your NEXUS Card in the Global Entry kiosks. Your passport record includes the global entry with it. You use your passbook Book in the Global Entry Kiosk. 

As I indicated, I m pretty positive that the process of Getting the Nexus card Included Global Entry. However, the Nexus Card includes an RFID chip that helps with land crossings.  Global Entry is used in the Kiosks and requires the passport to be scanned. There is no longer a Global Entry Card for US Citizens (as I understand it).  You simply use your passport and the kiosk reads your biometric  information  (finger prints and eye scans)

I was thinking as a Canadian.  IDK, I suppose I would try it, but language seems to say "no".  I get it - that I am register in the system, so why not use any old GE machine.  Guess I will never know unless we do an overseas trip via a US airport instead of via our home airport of Toronto.

At the time I signed up - the closest permanent interview office was 8 hours away. Glad my renewal did not require me to interview again. I think I am 2 hours from an office now.

Edited by Coral

43 minutes ago, sirclean said:

There is no longer a Global Entry Card for US Citizens (as I understand it).  You simply use your passport and the kiosk reads your biometric  information  (finger prints and eye scans)

I am not going to argue the point about NEXUS and/or Global Entry. Only stating my experiences.

A CBP officer told me that NEXUS is only good for Canada/United States entry/exit to Canada/US (and Mexico border).  She suggested I get a Global Entry if my travels would take me to other International countries.

I have a current Global Entry card that I recently used to obtain TSA Pre-check in California and Japan.  

I was asked if I had Global Entry.  I used the not so crowded Global Entry line when returning to LAX and sped through/by passed a line that switched back and forth multiple times.

My brother has a NEXUS card since he frequents Canada often.  

I had the option to apply for NEXUS, Global Entry, or renew my TSA Pre-check.  It was a no brainer for me.  

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I initially got TSA Precheck, but my sister decided to get Global Entry.  We applied, and she was able to get an interview in PHL while visiting her daughters.  The nearest center for me was Atlanta, but no appointment available for months.  But there were lots in MIA.  So I booked an early flight from JAX to MIA, walked the length of the terminal to the well hidden office, got my interview and okay, walked back to the far terminal, got my commuter flight back to JAX and drove two hours home.  I viewed it as an adventure.  The only time we really used it was coming back from Nassau after an all Bahamas cruise.  There was USA pre clearance at the airport and long lines everywhere.  I spotted the global entry kiosk and no lines.  We breezed through.  I had to renew last year and did it all online.  No interview needed.  EM

They pretty much resolved the interview process with interview on return.  As long as you have been conditionally approved you can now do the interview when you return from an international trip by going to the Global Entry line and tell them that you would like enrollment on arrival.  No need to schedule interview and drive hundreds of miles.

Edited by ldtr

11 hours ago, ldtr said:

If you fly internationally to/from the US it is worth it. As an example a few years ago flew into Houston. Very long lines for immigration. With Global Entry we were through in 10 minutes. Some friends of ours on the same flight without Global entry said that it took them over 2 hours.

We flew into Houston from Buenos Aires this past March. There were several people with Global Entry, including us. We all went to the kiosks and were all rejected and had to use the very long standard immigration check-in. Even so, I definitely plan to have Global Entry - it's so worth it.

I'm hoping our March experience was a one-off.

11 hours ago, bjkTX said:

We took a British Isles cruise last Fall and went through Heathrow.  It was a total disaster and it took hours getting through various lines that just led to other lines.  Other than when we were in the military we haven't really done any international travel in years.  While in a line at Heathrow with several thousands of others I saw the Global Entry desk off to the right with 6 people being processed.  I was determined that when we got back home I would check it out.  Several of our credit cards will pay for it, but since we almost always received TSA Pre-check when we travel in the USA I just never considered it.  But as soon as we got home I started checking and like the last poster said there were no Global Entry locations local and the one I could find an hour away didn't have appts as far out as 6 months.  Since we don't have any plans for another international trip I decided to just get the TSA Pre-check which was local and I could get an appt anytime.  But if we ever decide to go international again I will definitely look at Global Entry again.  I have occasionally looked at future cruises out of Southampton and just say no way I'm going through that again without GE!

Global entry is a usa thing, not uk, no global entry in Heathrow,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tonye60 said:

There are about 15 international airport (9 Canadian, 3 Carribean, 2 Ireland, and 1 UAE) that are designated as where US Customs does a pre-clearance prior to boarding the flight. Heathrow and Manchester are not part of those airports at this time. 

22 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

There are about 15 international airport (9 Canadian, 3 Carribean, 2 Ireland, and 1 UAE) that are designated as where US Customs does a pre-clearance prior to boarding the flight. Heathrow and Manchester are not part of those airports at this time. 

Yes I know, that was my point, global entry has zero benefits in the UK 

20 hours ago, bjkTX said:

We took a British Isles cruise last Fall and went through Heathrow.  It was a total disaster and it took hours getting through various lines that just led to other lines.  Other than when we were in the military we haven't really done any international travel in years.  While in a line at Heathrow with several thousands of others I saw the Global Entry desk off to the right with 6 people being processed.  I was determined that when we got back home I would check it out.  Several of our credit cards will pay for it, but since we almost always received TSA Pre-check when we travel in the USA I just never considered it.  But as soon as we got home I started checking and like the last poster said there were no Global Entry locations local and the one I could find an hour away didn't have appts as far out as 6 months.  Since we don't have any plans for another international trip I decided to just get the TSA Pre-check which was local and I could get an appt anytime.  But if we ever decide to go international again I will definitely look at Global Entry again.  I have occasionally looked at future cruises out of Southampton and just say no way I'm going through that again without GE!

If you are planning any domestic travel in the near future, look for appointment availability at some of those locations.  I am in New York, and when I got GE, I looked at airport locations in NY, NJ, Mass, RI and PA and all locations were a minimum of 6 months out with most having even longer waits.  In a few weeks DW & I were going for a weeklong vacation in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, and I was able to book our interviews at Dulles in Virginia just 3 weeks out.  HMMMMMMMM, you don't think it has anything to do with its proximity to Washington DC do you??  Anyway, it's worth taking a look at including a GE interview during any upcoming trip.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tonye60 said:

Yes I know, that was my point, global entry has zero benefits in the UK 

When I go through TSA or get off ship for excursions, I use my GE card as my government issued photo ID, It saves wear and tear on my driver license and, I'd rather lose the GE card than my DL or passport.

10 hours ago, Tonye60 said:

Thanks for that clarification.  So what I was seeing at Heathrow obviously was people applying for GE - not using it.  We use it and don't have a handy place to sign up - they don't use it and have a big sign up area.  Sounds like a government thing :-)

13 hours ago, Coral said:

At the time I signed up - the closest permanent interview office was 8 hours away. Glad my renewal did not require me to interview again. I think I am 2 hours from an office now.

That's the issue I've had too. And, while I travel a ton, my travel can be fairly last minute so setting up an appointment at an intermediary airport has been tricky. My initial interview was at DFW on a layover, but I missed a connection and was lucky they accepted me two hours late. First renewal did require an interview (I believe because my travel patterns are...odd...and I visit some...sketchy...places) and, again, had to time it with a layover at O'Hare which was difficult. Second renewal didn't require one, thankfully! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

Thanks for that clarification.  So what I was seeing at Heathrow obviously was people applying for GE - not using it.  We use it and don't have a handy place to sign up - they don't use it and have a big sign up area.  Sounds like a government thing 🙂

No, that's probably E gates

• Like 2