Carnival jewelry shop are the savings really worth it?

Thad409

I've always snooped at the jewelry shops while on board, Im always shopping for a watch while on board but never can pull the trigger because I don't know if the savings are better than I can do else were.

If you already know what you’re looking for, price it out back home first. Then compare it to prices onboard and prices at the ports of call. 

A few years ago, I was shopping for a specific Tissot watch. I figured how much I’d spend if I bought it back home. I then went on a cruise to the Bahamas. The  best deal was actually at an authorized retailer in Nassau. Cheaper than the stores on the ship too. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

If you are buying jewelry with gem stones it is never wise to buy from any source but a trusted jeweler. The value depends on the quality of the stones and only an expert can determine that. The sales people on a cruise ship only know what they have been told and you don't even know who told them. Hardly a situation creating trust.

Find a jeweler on shore from whom friends have bought and had the quality of the stones verified by a separate appraiser if possible. If not, find a jeweler that you think trustworthy, buy something and have it appraised. If it checks out only then put up any substantial money for something from them.

28 minutes ago, Tapi said:

If you already know what you’re looking for, price it out back home first. Then compare it to prices onboard and prices at the ports of call. 

A few years ago, I was shopping for a specific Tissot watch. I figured how much I’d spend if I bought it back home. I then went on a cruise to the Bahamas. The  best deal was actually at an authorized retailer in Nassau. Cheaper than the stores on the ship too. 

Thats what I'm doing at this very moment while I'm working nights and surfing the old interweb, Thanks 

The jewelry store on the ship is almost never cheaper. The main reason to buy something in the islands is that they have more selection. If there is a specific, rare watch you want, likely easier to find it in the Bahamas than in your local jewelry dealer.

For watches specifically, shop ahead of time to get a baseline on pricing. Especially look at places such as Sam's Club and Costco before you go. My sister was on a cruise and wanted to by a Tag that has an MSRP of something like $2300. After a ton of negotiations, one dealer was willing to "sacrafice" and sell for $1800. She called me from the store in cozumel (via Internet) and I was able to find the exact same watch at Sam's Club for somewhere around $1550.

When it comes to gemstones, I would never buy outside the US or on the cruise ship. I am an expert in the "rock and gem" industry and I can't count the number of fraudulent and mis-represented gemstones I have seen. I am sure that if I had my tools with me, I would find even more. Even with things like tanzanite, at least 10% (and probably way more) of what is sold is not real (lots of lab-grown) and probably 30%+ of the "untreated" is absolutely treated. This is just based on what I can see with my eyes. There is at least another 30%-40% that I would call "questionable".

On a trip several years ago my mother wanted to buy a tanzanite necklace. It completely drove me crazy. Finally found one that I was "pretty sure" was real. I think the sticker price was something like $800 and the "asking price" was $500. I think we finally walked out with it for $140. I tested it when I got home and was happy to see that it was actually tanzanite 😉 

On several trips, I have had someone show me the "great deal" they just got. In one case the stone was clearly a fake. In several others, all I could do is politely say "wow. That is really pretty" while knowing that they just spent 3x - 4x what they should have. I think there have only been one or two times where I went "wow. That is actually a fantastic deal". 

One final point is that "duty free" does not mean "tax free". There are a ton of posts here on Cruise Critic where folks bought expensive items and then had to write a check to the government when they got back to port. I think I remember one post saying that if you spent over a certain amount that the ship is required to submit the purchase to customs prior to getting to the US port (the person was flagged when going through US customs).           

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RockHoundTX said:

The jewelry store on the ship is almost never cheaper. The main reason to buy something in the islands is that they have more selection. If there is a specific, rare watch you want, likely easier to find it in the Bahamas than in your local jewelry dealer.

For watches specifically, shop ahead of time to get a baseline on pricing. Especially look at places such as Sam's Club and Costco before you go. My sister was on a cruise and wanted to by a Tag that has an MSRP of something like $2300. After a ton of negotiations, one dealer was willing to "sacrafice" and sell for $1800. She called me from the store in cozumel (via Internet) and I was able to find the exact same watch at Sam's Club for somewhere around $1550.

When it comes to gemstones, I would never buy outside the US or on the cruise ship. I am an expert in the "rock and gem" industry and I can't count the number of fraudulent and mis-represented gemstones I have seen. I am sure that if I had my tools with me, I would find even more. Even with things like tanzanite, at least 10% (and probably way more) of what is sold is not real (lots of lab-grown) and probably 30%+ of the "untreated" is absolutely treated. This is just based on what I can see with my eyes. There is at least another 30%-40% that I would call "questionable".

On a trip several years ago my mother wanted to buy a tanzanite necklace. It completely drove me crazy. Finally found one that I was "pretty sure" was real. I think the sticker price was something like $800 and the "asking price" was $500. I think we finally walked out with it for $140. I tested it when I got home and was happy to see that it was actually tanzanite 😉 

On several trips, I have had someone show me the "great deal" they just got. In one case the stone was clearly a fake. In several others, all I could do is politely say "wow. That is really pretty" while knowing that they just spent 3x - 4x what they should have. I think there have only been one or two times where I went "wow. That is actually a fantastic deal". 

One final point is that "duty free" does not mean "tax free". There are a ton of posts here on Cruise Critic where folks bought expensive items and then had to write a check to the government when they got back to port. I think I remember one post saying that if you spent over a certain amount that the ship is required to submit the purchase to customs prior to getting to the US port (the person was flagged when going through US customs).           

Can you just by looking identify a lab created tanzanite? Also, what are your thoughts on EFFY gemstones?

4 hours ago, Thad409 said:

I've always snooped at the jewelry shops while on board, Im always shopping for a watch while on board but never can pull the trigger because I don't know if the savings are better than I can do else were.

My husband wanted an INVICTA so badly on the ship one year and it was, to me, too expensive. I said to him, "we can find that on land for cheaper." And doggonit when we got back to land he searched for that watch and he did not fail to mention to me that he never did find that exact INVICTA. Oops. 🙊

6 hours ago, RockHoundTX said:

Very true, if someone goes over their duty free allowance then they'll have to pay when they bring the item into the country. The general exemption is $800 per person, which (unless they changed the rules) may be totaled for families traveling together. As with anything else having to do with taxes there are exceptions and other details one should be aware of. Here is a link to the CBP website: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-246?language=en_US

9 hours ago, opensaysme said:

Can you just by looking identify a lab created tanzanite? Also, what are your thoughts on EFFY gemstones?

My husband bought me a ring and earrings from Effy on board the Celebration.  They are white & Yellow Diamonds.  I had them appraised at home by my jeweler friend and they were appraised for what I paid.

• Like 1

Also, what are your thoughts on EFFY gemstones?

We have purchased numerous Effy gemstone pieces. Had no issues with the price as we said each time that's too much and got better offers (these were all purchased on another cruise line though). Valuation of the pieces was compatible with what we ended up paying for them and there were no stones that were anything other than as they were described on the ships. The only issue we have is with Effy necklaces on the ship. The ships and most land Effy stores only carry 20 inch necklaces (apparently that is the most wanted length). After returning from our cruise when DW got her necklace, we contacted Effy headquarters in New York. We were able to send the piece to them at no cost and they sent the piece back on a 22 inch chain, also at no additional cost to us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ginabab said:

Hi, I used to like cheap watches in bright colors. Cruise ships seem to have the best selection. 

Now my yellow-cased iPhone is always with me.

Uh oh, another victim of the IPhone "spring color" marketing ploy. If you REALLY love yellow, you could, in about a year, get an SE4 (which is basically everything the 14 is for about $500.) that's actually a NEW phone, not just another color on the almost certainly worst IPhone upgrade ever. But hey, the 14 DOES tell time..

• Like 1

My husband wanted an INVICTA so badly on the ship one year and it was, to me, too expensive. I said to him, "we can find that on land for cheaper." And doggonit when we got back to land he searched for that watch and he did not fail to mention to me that he never did find that exact INVICTA. Oops. 🙊

DW bought me my first Invicta on a ship because it came in the red motorcycle helmet case, rather than a standard yellow Invicta box and I've been riding motorcycles since I was about 6 and driving them since about 11. DW thought that while the watches might be a bit expensive, it was a very cool watch and case. After that cruise, we noticed a tv channel that sold them and started finding out that the ship prices were pretty much the same as the shopping channel which is actually Invicta selling them through their web site. Now she's hooked and we both have multiple Invictas.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, opensaysme said:

Try Amazon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseguy56 said:

Uh oh, another victim of the IPhone "spring color" marketing ploy. If you REALLY love yellow, you could, in about a year, get an SE4 (which is basically everything the 14 is for about $500.) that's actually a NEW phone, not just another color on the almost certainly worst IPhone upgrade ever. But hey, the 14 DOES tell time..

Hi, my yellow case is a case that covers my old iPhone 11 

• Like 1

As far as EFFY is concerned, you do not have to pay duty on it because it is made in USA, NYC to be exact.  I always bargain, and prefer to buy ashore as I can bargain more.  My last cruise, I saw a silver and gemstone pendant I liked.  They were doing a promotion of 30% off some things, but not this one.  But they were willing to reduce from $695 to $650.  Too much.  I went back to my cabin in and looked up the EFFY website and found the same pendant on sale for $486, but there was a special code for another 25% off, making it $364.  I went back to the shop and the manager grudgingly agreed to sell it to me for the $486 because I could show it to her online.  Nope.  Said I could get for less.  She kept saying I would have to pay tax and shipping.  I said shipping was free.  I went back to my cabin and ordered it, did not have to pay tax or shipping, and have been wearing it ever since.  I went back to show my receipt on my phone, and she was annoyed as she was trying to sell a tanzanite ring…. I knew not to go back into that shop.  
  But I really wanted to tell the lady looking at the ring that she should look online, she might find the same ring on sale, or even a better one.  EM

A few years ago I was shopping for diamond hoop earrings (I shopped for a couple of years to know what I really wanted & what the price should be).

Thinking that the cruise ship should be good pricing, considering sales they have & reduced tax.

After a few days of haggling with the sales team on the ship (they did come down in price, but not close enuf to what I was expecting to pay), I decided not to purchase the earrings.

I waited a couple of months & bought earrings at Costco Christmas markdown price with a higher diamond carat weight for about $200 less.

13 hours ago, opensaysme said:

The answer is "sometimes". Tanzanite is trichroic which means that it changes color if viewed from different angles. This is much more evident on larger pieces that have a vivid purple color. On smaller pieces (or ones that are a lighter lavendar) that are set in jewelry, you may not be able to easily see the color change even with real tanzanite. You can also view the tanzanite in different light sources. Depending on the light source (incandescent vs daylight), a good tanzanite should go from a pretty flat purple to more of a blue with deep red flashes. If the color stays the same no matter what the light-source, then likely a fake (or really low quality).

If someone is wanting to make a significant tanzanite purchase, then you would want a few tools with you. A loupe, two different color flashlights, and a dichroscope will quickly weed out the worst of the fakes. I have seen both good and bad fakes. The worst ones are where a colored foil backing are put on clear gemstone (likely lab grown topaz) to fake "the red flashes". The better ones are lab-grown stones that have the same dark purple color and shine of real tanzanite but do not show any of the color shift (or reds) when viewed under different light sources.   

As for EFFY, I personally have no thoughts. I deal mainly with loose gemstones and mineral specimens.   

• Thanks 2