Posting of Spring TA 2023 Starlink internet speed

Ex-Airbalancer

5 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

It has been posted that the Reflection already has Starlink , so that schedule is in correct 

I'm pretty sure a couple months ago I received a marketing email from Celebrity that stated the entire fleet had been upgraded to Starlink.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Yesterday we left FLL on the Reflection 

A speedTest with Basic Wi-Fi was under 1 🤣

B6C05FB6-B90E-457E-BFD1-0237DFD26894.jpeg

I can see --- that would be problematic....  I needed to upgrade and app -- not real big and took about 5 minutes with high speed.     I googled and they said you could experience slow downloads with speeds less than 10 megbytes.

We were on Reflection a couple of weeks ago. It does have Starlink. We thought it was the best internet we have ever had on a ship. We did have premium, but my daughter and son in law each had basic and said it was great as well. 

On 4/10/2023 at 8:43 AM, RichYak said:

I'm pretty sure a couple months ago I received a marketing email from Celebrity that stated the entire fleet had been upgraded to Starlink.

This is what Celebrity’s website says:

384E5D87-3DDF-46E6-8416-104B8C1CAF34.thumb.jpeg.fdf8f897e27718d7408d72243ee889e9.jpegDA94319B-AFF7-4EA7-9E84-294F293E0159.thumb.jpeg.dd161b337c16382d2465e28a61668f72.jpeg

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/internet-and-phone-packages

So @Ex-Airbalancer I’m not sure the Infinity has Starlink yet.

The Galapagos ships do not as well. 

Edited by prmssk

14 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Todays results 

0BFA8702-87DE-4030-A680-66B41E1BF582.png

F7CEFE28-131E-4870-9E8D-B81708E7A07D.png

I wonder what Celebrity is doing that causes that causes Starlink's high speed internet to perform so badly for some customers?  Maybe they throttle Basic users to these speeds during periods of high demand to encourage people to upgrade to Premium service?

Edited by mnocket

On 4/24/2023 at 2:53 PM, Panzano said:

We’re on the reflection TA now with Premium Wi-Fi.  Streaming Netflix, Prime and YouTube TV with no problem.  

Good to hear.   We also have had great connectivity.   Was concerned with the winds and seas we are starting to experience.   I though they might have a hard time holding the satellite like the old system but so far... really stable.  

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Still at just under 1 mbps download speed on the Reflection 

Thanks... Your on Basic, Right.... Happy to see you you are able to get on Cruise Critics.    Have you tried to stream anything like YouTube?

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks... Your on Basic, Right.... Happy to see you you are able to get on Cruise Critics.    Have you tried to stream anything like YouTube?

No streaming , but FB videos you can watch 

I know people have been working with it , and they didn’t have upgraded so they are happy 

On 4/24/2023 at 2:29 PM, odyssyus said:

Not a lot of value (ie revenue) broadcasting internet into an empty ocean... this includes Starlink.

Starlink satellites are not geostationary, they are low earth orbit and, as the name implies, they orbit the earth.  The same satellites that pass over land also pass over the oceans.  In other words, there are no extra satellites needed to provide coverage to cruise ships.