What happens to items intentionally left in cabins?

10 minutes ago, poocher said:

And that is different from just leaving things in the cabin when you disembark.

Quite different. We would never leave (abandon) anything (other than unopened beer and bottled water) at the end of a cruise. When we are on B2B (or longer) cruises, we always ask the steward sometime during the first week if we can bring him/her anything while we are on a shore excursion or  that we can run out and get on TAD.

10 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser Girl said:

We left 4 cans of soda left over from the case I brought onboard and I couldn't take in my luggage home. Hopefully, someone would like to drink them.

I would imagine those didn't last long after you left the cabin.😇

• Like 1

5 hours ago, orville99 said:

Most of it becomes waste. The cleaning crew on TAD will acquire what they can use, and toss the rest. Clothes hangers get repurposed for hanging up robes for suite guests. BTW, as far as I know, all RCL ships still have a "library" somewhere on board, so your leftover book might just survive. The only thing we leave that we know will be used is leftover bottles of beer or water.

Yes, all the RC ships I've sailed have had a library, but they are poorly stocked; I'm quite sure they're filled only with books left behind by previous passengers.  However, I agree with the poster who says you should haul them to the library yourself.  

We have left sodas, etc. in the room.  

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

🤯 Those are worse than the dollar store ones!

Those are like repurposed Ford Pinto cup holders in a new Porsche. 😢

Those should only be repurposed to inside cabins. 😁

Winner of the most elitist thing said today.  

2 hours ago, poocher said:

... How do they know the kids clothes are being discarded (unless like one poster, they are in the garbage can) and not simply forgotten ... 

1.  Once we went on an ATV ride in super-muddy Cozumel (it had rained a solid week before our trip), and my tennis shoes were ruined /clearly would never be white again ... so I decided to throw them away mid-week.  They weren't anywhere near new anyway.  Our cabin steward very politely left them sitting beside the garbage can.  

2.  I'm not sure how reasonable it is to abandon clothing for the crew's children.  They may not be returning home for months, and they'd need a place to store it for all that time.  Nice thought though.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, poocher said:

Not sure why one would want to make more work for the cabin attendants.  They don’t have enough to do on turn around day without adding stuff you’ve chosen to leave behind to sort through?  How do they know the kids clothes are being discarded (unless like one poster, they are in the garbage can) and not simply forgotten.  Here, let me take the time to put the book you left somewhere appropriate.  Really??  This makes no sense to me.

Leaving some clothes behind is somehow a burden to the attendant?   Give me a break.  I told him they could do as they wanted with them.  They are free to throw them out like any other item left behind.   Would take about 5 seconds.  I’m quite certain I wasn't a burden to him and we gave him several shifts off (for our cabin) during the trip which made him seem pretty happy.  He seemed to like that we left stuff behind and thought the morning crew would want some of it.  I suspect some of it will be used and appreciated.  If not it will be thrown out in no time and all. No harm either way.  Only a possible benefit.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

🤯 Those are worse than the dollar store ones!

Those are like repurposed Ford Pinto cup holders in a new Porsche. 😢

Those should only be repurposed to inside cabins. 😁

7 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Winner of the most elitist thing said today.  

🏆

Winner of the nicest thing said in the universe today!

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry, IMO it’s just one more thing they have to do on a busy day.  Of course they will say it’s fine, they aim to please.  And the fact that you gave them day 4 off has no bearing on it.  If you have stuff you don’t want to take with you, throw it away yourself.  I bring many toiletries that are just about used up by the end of the trip.  I don’t leave them for the crew to handle.  I throw them away.

• Like 2

To avoid the cabin attendant thinking items need to go in the lost and found, we let our cabin attendant know if we are leaving any unopened drinks in the cooler, that is is for him/her to take and/or share. If we left anything else we thought someone on board might be able to use, we would tell the steward, or leave a note on the item and put it where they could easily see it. 

• Like 1

If we leave anything behind we usually put it in the trash can so it's obvious we didn't do it by mistake.  It depends on what you're leaving behind.  Obviously, a book or left over coat-hangers wouldn't be something they'd take to a lost and found.  I think a lot of people throw away old t-shirts and other clothes after wearing them if they don't want to pack them back home.  We've left bottles of wine, tips, and other things in the cabin as well and we assume the attendant just does with them what they want (which is our intention).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, poocher said:

Sorry, IMO it’s just one more thing they have to do on a busy day.  Of course they will say it’s fine, they aim to please.  And the fact that you gave them day 4 off has no bearing on it.  If you have stuff you don’t want to take with you, throw it away yourself.  I bring many toiletries that are just about used up by the end of the trip.  I don’t leave them for the crew to handle.  I throw them away.

Would never leave used toiletries in the cabin! Heck I don’t even leave any unopened toiletries in my guest room! That would be disgusting.

4 hours ago, poocher said:

The largest waste basket in a cabin is tiny.  Like I can throw away a pile of clothes in that.  Get over yourself already.  I told our attendant the day before we would leave stuff behind and exactly where it would be so they coukd toss it if need be.  He didn’t mind one bit and I know he wasn’t just saying that.   I didn’t in any way put an extra burden on him.   

• Like 4

18 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

WOW, if I paid $20 Grand for a suite I would not want my robe hung up with some repurposed hanger from a dollar store. That's like buying a Porsche and getting Chevy cup holders in it. And repurposed ones to boot!🤬

Who pays $20K for a suite? 🤣

• Haha 5

20 hours ago, orville99 said:

Most of it becomes waste. The cleaning crew on TAD will acquire what they can use, and toss the rest. Clothes hangers get repurposed for hanging up robes for suite guests. BTW, as far as I know, all RCL ships still have a "library" somewhere on board, so your leftover book might just survive. The only thing we leave that we know will be used is leftover bottles of beer or water.

Since the change to the “gifts”no more beer to leave them unfortunately, but I do ask our room steward if the like water or soda and I use any unused drink vouchers to get these for them.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

WOW, if I paid $20 Grand for a suite I would not want my robe hung up with some repurposed hanger from a dollar store. That's like buying a Porsche and getting Chevy cup holders in it. And repurposed ones to boot!🤬

There was a point in time that Porsches didn’t have cup holders, as they were meant to be driven and not shunt beverages from Starbucks to Starbucks. 😉😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

There was a point in time that Porsches didn’t have cup holders, as they were meant to be driven and not shunt beverages from Starbucks to Starbucks. 😉😂

The good ol' days!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

We have asked our cabin steward how to handle leaving unopened beverages and was told to leave a note gifting it to them so there is no misunderstanding.

That is exactly what we did last week..left several cans of soft drinks / some wine and a note to the steward saying he was welcome to them, if he were allowed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

There was a point in time that Porsches didn’t have cup holders,

Back in the good old days when the "TT" in 911TT was known as the Testosterone Transporter of choice for old bald guys😱😇

14 hours ago, topnole said:

The largest waste basket in a cabin is tiny.  Like I can throw away a pile of clothes in that.  Get over yourself already.  I told our attendant the day before we would leave stuff behind and exactly where it would be so they coukd toss it if need be.  He didn’t mind one bit and I know he wasn’t just saying that.   I didn’t in any way put an extra burden on him.   

Wow.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

No cup holders in our classic 1967 911S or will there ever be. 🤣

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

A lot of cars didn’t have cup holders not all that long ago.  In my early years of
driving, we almost all held our beverages in our lap.  Now I can’t imagine regularly driving the old stick shift cars I used to own.  But I do miss them.  

• Like 2