What happens to items intentionally left in cabins?

I confess that sometimes I will bring a few of  my own clothes hangers with me on a cruise and then leave them in the closet when I leave. I have also been known to leave a finished book on the coffee table, hoping someone might like it. ( most ships no longer have libraries to donate it).

A friend once bought a cheap beach chair in a port to use for the duration of the cruise and left it.

I imagine people also buy umbrellas,  soft coolers, etc., and don’t want to take them home.

Is anything ever offered to the crew or does it all become waste?

Most of it becomes waste. The cleaning crew on TAD will acquire what they can use, and toss the rest. Clothes hangers get repurposed for hanging up robes for suite guests. BTW, as far as I know, all RCL ships still have a "library" somewhere on board, so your leftover book might just survive. The only thing we leave that we know will be used is leftover bottles of beer or water.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Most of it becomes waste. The cleaning crew on TAD will acquire what they can use, and toss the rest. Clothes hangers get repurposed for hanging up robes for suite guests. BTW, as far as I know, all RCL ships still have a "library" somewhere on board, so your leftover book might just survive. The only thing we leave that we know will be used is leftover bottles of beer or water.

WOW, if I paid $20 Grand for a suite I would not want my robe hung up with some repurposed hanger from a dollar store. That's like buying a Porsche and getting Chevy cup holders in it. And repurposed ones to boot!🤬

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

WOW, if I paid $20 Grand for a suite I would not want my robe hung up with some repurposed hanger from a dollar store. That's like buying a Porsche and getting Chevy cup holders in it. 🤬

Its all part of the "save the seas" program.  As half of today's Windjammer buffet gets gets dumped into the ocean as I type. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We’ve done this several times.  Just tell your cabin attendant.  We told him where we were leaving stuff so they know and didn’t fuss with it going to lost and found. Ex. We brought kids clothes on a TA that were near too small and left them (and some soft sided bags) behind to travel lighter in Europe.  Our attendant appreciated us telling him. He said workers will often gather what they want and or give to organizations that donate it to countries in need.  Not sure how accurate or common any of that is, but tons of stuff donated back in the states goes into the trash either way as an fyi.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Its all part of the "save the seas" program.  As half of today's Windjammer buffet gets gets dumped into the ocean as I type. 😉

Well real History behind Royals "Save the Waves", Wow! Secret pipes on Ships to dump multiple Chemicals at Sea. Received Multi million dollar Fine, Twice! The push was a good way try help clean up their Image... Though as I've said before do miss days when we could hit Golf Balls and Skeet Shoot off a Royal open Deck

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 5

I always leave behind a wet shower scruffy.  If I have any underwear that are close to expiring, I also leave those to make more room in the suitcase.  I hope no one decides to keep either of these after I leave.  😂

Actually, I dispose of these in the garbage in a plastic bag.  They'd have to work at it to get them for their own collection.  But if they really want them, they can have them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I always leave behind a wet shower scruffy.  If I have any underwear that are close to expiring, I also leave those to make more room in the suitcase.  I hope no one decides to keep either of these after I leave.  😂

Actually, I dispose of these in the garbage in a plastic bag.  They'd have to work at it to get them for their own collection.  But if they really want them, they can have them!

Used dirty underwear has a special place on Ebay. You could be making someone rich.

image.png.c59a97a7c126ef754356b7067adf23ee.png or from a vending machineimage.png.15fcf9a0c5977527cb7ec7250bd1c382.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

WOW, if I paid $20 Grand for a suite I would not want my robe hung up with some repurposed hanger from a dollar store. That's like buying a Porsche and getting Chevy cup holders in it. And repurposed ones to boot!🤬

Actually my hangers don’t come from the dollar store. They are repurposed from my clothes from the dry cleaner who by the way asks for any hangers you wish to return to her.

Since I won’t spend the money on a suite, and I’ve never driven a Chevy or a Porsche, but only Volvos and Mercedes,( and a few Fords when I was young), I guess I don’t have to worry about either suite hangers, or dirty cup holders. LOL.

9 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

Actually my hangers don’t come from the dollar store. They are repurposed from my clothes from the dry cleaner who by the way asks for any hangers you wish to return to her.

🤯 Those are worse than the dollar store ones!

Those are like repurposed Ford Pinto cup holders in a new Porsche. 😢

Those should only be repurposed to inside cabins. 😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 6

Regarding hangers, all the cabins we’ve been in have the RCCL wooden hangers.   Cabin attendants hang the robes  on wooden hangers, or leave them folded and placed on the couch

If I ask for extra hangers, it will often be a variety of plastic hangers, tube hangers, or wire hangers.  Next time I will consider it my “car lot“ of hangers
m

Not sure why one would want to make more work for the cabin attendants.  They don’t have enough to do on turn around day without adding stuff you’ve chosen to leave behind to sort through?  How do they know the kids clothes are being discarded (unless like one poster, they are in the garbage can) and not simply forgotten.  Here, let me take the time to put the book you left somewhere appropriate.  Really??  This makes no sense to me.

• Like 9

All of the kidding aside,I really just wanted to know if leaving behind something could be either useful to someone or is it a nuisance.

I did like the response of leaving some of the children’s clothes behind. I know that so many of the crew have young ones back in their homelands. 

1 minute ago, poocher said:

Not sure why one would want to make more work for the cabin attendants.  They don’t have enough to do on turn around day without adding stuff you’ve chosen to leave behind to sort through?  How do they know the kids clothes are being discarded (unless like one poster, they are in the garbage can) and not simply forgotten.  Here, let me take the time to put the book you left somewhere appropriate.  Really??  This makes no sense to me.

As I said, not all ships I have been on have libraries. Not all of my  cruises are on Royal.

25 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

All of the kidding aside,I really just wanted to know if leaving behind something could be either useful to someone or is it a nuisance.

I did like the response of leaving some of the children’s clothes behind. I know that so many of the crew have young ones back in their homelands. 

We had one stateroom steward that had a newborn son that he had not seen yet because the baby was born shortly after he began his contract. When we asked him at the end of our cruise if he would like anything, he said nothing for him. We then asked if we could bring anything for his new son, and his eyes lit up. We have a one yo grandson in the family, and when we got back on board we brought him a large bag of gently used baby clothes for his son.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Actually, I dispose of these in the garbage in a plastic bag.  They'd have to work at it to get them for their own collection.

Anything that is left in the garbage in a plastic bag, unless it is readily identifiable, will be hand sorted by the crew to ensure that nothing goes to the wrong garbage stream.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We had one stateroom steward that had a newborn son that he had not seen yet because the baby was born shortly after he began his contract. When we asked him at the end of our cruise if he would like anything, he said nothing for him. We then asked if we could bring anything for his new son, and his eyes lit up. We have a one yo grandson in the family, and when we got back on board we brought him a large bag of gently used baby clothes for his son.

And that is different from just leaving things in the cabin when you disembark.

• Like 1