Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

1 minute ago, Beachlover1989 said:

So excited to follow along on another of your wonder vacations!  You always have such useful information.  I'm excited to hear how you like the CS as we will be in one on Apex in August.  Similar to you, we embark in Amsterdam and disembark in Rotterdam.  We will also be with you next April on the Sydney to Hawaii cruise!

We have been in a CS on Edge and for the most part I like it.   The only  thing I don't like is the door an wall to the living room are glass and makes it difficult to awaken early and fling back the drapes without flooding the bedroom with light. 

The April Sydney to Hawaii cruise are really going to be a popular cruise.   Seems so far away but will fly by quickly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have been in a CS on Edge and for the most part I like it.   The only  thing I don't like is the door an wall to the living room are glass and makes it difficult to awaken early and fling back the drapes without flooding the bedroom with light. 

That probably makes it difficult for Iain - my fellow late sleeper 🙂

1 minute ago, Beachlover1989 said:

That probably makes it difficult for Iain - my fellow late sleeper 🙂

If I flung the drapes open I definitely wouldn't hear the end of it.    Instead I have to slink around in the dark.   He usually doesn't get out of bet until 9:30 while I'm usually away at 6:30.  I can tell you the UK cruise is REALLY port intensive and most are early ports and excursions.  

7 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I hope you have Liverpool on your itinerary.

Our grand daughter has just spent 6 years there training to be Doctor and loved the city, so of course we visited frequently.

Just had a thought, the European song contest will be there from the beginning of May, could be hectic.

IMG_1188.jpegOutside Liverpool Catholic Cathedral.

Hi

Also called in these parts……Paddy’s Wigwam.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

As others have probably observed prices of Airlines and Hotels have really increased since last year.   I guess it doesn't help that we are traveling right on the fringe of Spring break.

For the past 10+ years we have always stayed at Embassy Suites.    The costs for 2 nights had spiraled up to $940 so decided to try out Hyatt on 18th.    I was able to book for $600 which is a little better.     Since it is so close to Embassy we are comfortable with the area and the close by shops.    I'll be sure to compare the two.

ca73378c_y.jpg

FLL is crazy for pricing this year , everything appears to double in price from last year 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We live in Sunnyvale, California, which is a small Silicon Valley town with a population of about 155,000.    Most of towns in Silicon Valley were fruit orchards 50 years ago and were just train stops to haul the fruit.   All the orchards are now gone but Sunnyvale still maintains a Libby Water tower where a canning factory once stood.   Now those white building around the tower is the home of Walmart Web Services for all theirs subs.

cGc.jpg

funny description!  A small town with a population of 155,000.  Enjoy your cruise.  I will be following along too.

52 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Always a pleasure to see a fellow Vol.     My relatives from about 1790 on were from Knox, Blount and Sevier Counties.    I use to go back quite frequently but my last Uncle died recently and I no longer have any close relatives there.    Always loved spring time in Knoxville with all the Dogwoods in bloom.

It's my favorite time of year too. I actually just finished my Ph.D. at UTK, so I'll be moving soon. Luckily just to the Atlanta area, which is plentiful in Dogwoods too and close enough for weekend trips. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

As others have probably observed prices of Airlines and Hotels have really increased since last year.   I guess it doesn't help that we are traveling right on the fringe of Spring break.

I was just talking with a friend of ours last night.  They live in Hawaii and their youngest daughter lives in Los Angeles.  He was saying he got round trip tickets this year for 1/3 of what he paid for tickets last year.  The only change he said was they took a red eye flight from Hawaii to LAX. 

For the past 10+ years we have always stayed at Embassy Suites.    The costs for 2 nights had spiraled up to $940 so decided to try out Hyatt on 18th.    I was able to book for $600 which is a little better.     Since it is so close to Embassy we are comfortable with the area and the close by shops.    I'll be sure to compare the two.

With one exception, when we stayed at the Westin, we have always stayed at the Renaissance on 17th street.  We have been discussing trying some of the other hotels but we've always seemed to get the best deal at that Renaissance.  The only complaint I've ever had with it has been the inability to get into a room before 3:00 pm.  We have learned to work around that by dropping our bags off with the bell desk and then taking a long leisurely lunch at a restaurant nearby. 

Do you have any restaurant recommendations for Fort Lauderdale? 

The Riverside Hotel on Las Olas is a really nice hotel their tower corner suite is amazing. Just love your reviews they are so informative but also very very interesting. Safe travels and I am looking forward to when we too have retired and can travel so much. The good news is though, that it will not be too long for that to happen but we are lucky that even now we can take a month off to travel.

Edited by swigso

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious-  Did you like River Cruising.     Iain's been wanting to do one but I'm a bit reluctant.   Maybe just the fear of the unknown.

Actually this will be our first river cruise…we are doing Tauck eastbound on the Danube…I’ll report when I return…

20 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Do you have any restaurant recommendations for Fort Lauderdale? 

I like Kelly's Landing off 17st.  Nothing fancy but have pretty good NE seafood.  I think the owners are from the Boston area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We will be flying American Airlines this time due to availability and pricing.   Even booking about 11 months ago the prices were about 30% higher in 1st class than earlier this year.

I logged to AA.COM today to reserve our meals -  All I can say is if you think Celebrity cut back the offerings were a bit limited -  Flying from the West Coast we will have both a Lunch and a dinner service.

First up are choices SJC to DFW

image.png.0bfe758f151b82f28e752901a402d378.png

Then for Dinner DFW to FLL not much better

image.png.843b35aea01371fee4cb255855bb1b64.png

Last week flying back from Buenos Aires on AA in PE we had tenderloin.  I think they serve the same meal in economy.  It was about an 8oz filet and pretty good although hard to eat  only being able to bend your elbows and wrists😀   It was way better than the beef stew thing on the flight out of Miami.

ca73378c_y.jpg

We stayed here last October and it was fine.  Close by a CVS and Publix.  

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Glad you will be aboard for the British Isles cruise.   I think that leg will be my favorite.

We cruised the British Isles on the Silhouette out of Amsterdam several years ago. It remains one of my favorite itineraries … and I’m originally from the UK! All ports were new to me. Having some mobility issues these days do tending to cruise closer to home now.

We will be flying American Airlines this time due to availability and pricing.   Even booking about 11 months ago the prices were about 30% higher in 1st class than earlier this year.

I logged to AA.COM today to reserve our meals -  All I can say is if you think Celebrity cut back the offerings were a bit limited -  Flying from the West Coast we will have both a Lunch and a dinner service.

First up are choices SJC to DFW

image.png.0bfe758f151b82f28e752901a402d378.png

Then for Dinner DFW to FLL not much better

image.png.843b35aea01371fee4cb255855bb1b64.png

The second is DInner????

We're on American to PBI for our Caribbean cruise later this month, and the dinner choices look dreadful.  (SFO to DFW and then DFW to PBI).  I guess I should plan to eat in the airport.

• Like 1

Hi Jim!  We will be on for the Transatlantic, Norway and the British Isles.  We will catch up with you in the Retreat... Have a great cruise this next week, please let us know if there is anything we should know about. See you soon! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

For many years we only did West Bound TA's because of all the daily timezone changes that cause loss of an hour in lieu of gaining an hour.    Once we did the first one we really don't find much difference.

The good part is you arrive already adjusted to all the timezones.

I like arriving rested and ready to explore rather than needing to adjust to lack of sleep.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

When I lived in Dublin we alternated our Staff Meetings between our London, Munich, Rome, Paris and Dublin offices.   The host office would always arrange a night out on the town.   Even though we worked hard it was always fun to get a little local flavor.     

Hi gents, a pleasure to follow yet another Live thread having lurked in the background of many others.I have never sailed Celebrity before (hence my lack of presence on these boards) but have booked Millenium out of Tokyo in 2024. I have followed your threads prior to this booking but thought the time was right to say 'hi.'

Absolutely none of my business and feel free not to answer - I'm not a stalker, just interested! I think you made a comment on another thread about being a pilot - I have a PPL(A) myself and I cemented that fact of yours to memory. I assumed you meant flying commercially, but comments like the above now make me think you didn't do this for a career but perhaps as a hobby and had another career. Then I saw this post:

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are a Male Couple with 3 Wonderful Adult Children and 5 Grandchildren.   I am mostly from the North East but went to College at University of Tennessee  before being recruited for a Silicon Valley Company many years ago. 

So I wasn't quick enough to get my question in and you have already answered ! 🙂

I must say to my shame I have not explored Scotland as well as I could have, having it on my doorstep. It's a cliche but I'd rather spend the same money (or less) on better weather than what we have to live with - so I'll also be interested in your thoughts on the ports you attend that even Iain isn't familiar with when you get to that leg.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

For the past 10+ years we have always stayed at Embassy Suites.    The costs for 2 nights had spiraled up to $940 so decided to try out Hyatt on 18th.    I was able to book for $600 which is a little better.

We are heading to Miami for an NCL cruise in a few weeks and I could not believe the price of the hotels, even fairly average ones. I think we snagged a good deal at the Kimpton Epic for c. $360 a night all in (taxes, resort fee etc.). I know you are heading to FLL not Miami but the whole area seems very pricey compared to times gone by.

Anyway enough of a ramble from me, I will be following closely and hope you both have a fantatsic time! 🙂

1 hour ago, bjahil47 said:

We stayed here last October and it was fine.  Close by a CVS and Publix.  

looks like a good alternative..ES is very outdated.. dusty etc...It will be worked on soon but not worth the high charges!  Most other good choices were  booked  up unless u go with a third party service.

We found something in Dania for Jan 2014 for  around $ 300..brighter and lighter.   Wyndham Garden Inn.. close enough to Port Ev.. parking overmight..no free bkfst.   

only 1 night so we will manage.