Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

6 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

One last question for those experienced travelers.  I'm not trying to start a debate and I would just like to know the local expectations.  What is the expected gratuity to the driver for these trips?

We've always done 10%.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

One last question for those experienced travelers.  I'm not trying to start a debate and I would just like to know the local expectations.  What is the expected gratuity to the driver for these trips?

Tipping in Europe is much different that here in the US. Last year in Italy we tipped drivers 5-10% of the trip cost, if I remember correctly. We had our driver at the Rome cruise port drop us off and give our luggage to the porters, and when I turned around to tip him, he was in his car and driving away. I never saw one driver with his hand out at the end of the trip.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

For that reason, last year we took a private transfer from Civitavecchia to the Rome train station to catch our train to Florence. Didn't want to navigate the stairs and changing trains in Rome. I will say the high-speed express trains are amazing to Florence traveling at over 150 MPH. When they say they depart at a certain time they mean they will depart at that time by closing the car doors.. They wait for no one.

The issue in using the train to/from Rome City Center to Civitavecchia is not only the up and down but once at Civitavecchia you still need to take ANOTHER shuttle bus to get to the cruiseport. This is a relatively new issue since at Civitavecchia they have built a new cruiseport. Prior to the current port the ship pier was literally STEPS away from the Civitavecchia train station. You would disembark the train at Civitavecchia and walk about two blocks and boom, you were at the cruise pier. Even then it was a hassle since the train cars aren't built to store luggage. The 2nd and last time we took a train from Rome to Civitavecchia we had to stand all the way from Rome with our luggage jammed in the aisleways. That was the last time for that!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Please let me know if you find a good contact for transfers.

We booked using terrydtx's link to VIP transfers.  They replied very quickly and we are booked and paid.  One more thing off my list.  🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The issue in using the train to/from Rome City Center to Civitavecchia is not only the up and down but once at Civitavecchia you still need to take ANOTHER shuttle bus to get to the cruiseport. This is a relatively new issue since at Civitavecchia they have built a new cruiseport. Prior to the current port the ship pier was literally STEPS away from the Civitavecchia train station. You would disembark the train at Civitavecchia and walk about two blocks and boom, you were at the cruise pier. Even then it was a hassle since the train cars aren't built to store luggage. The 2nd and last time we took a train from Rome to Civitavecchia we had to stand all the way from Rome with our luggage jammed in the aisleways. That was the last time for that!

We sailed on the Reflection from the new cruise port at Civi and it is a long ways from the train station as I recall, not at all walkable. That new terminal is really nice and has a VIP lounge for Retreat guests before you board. Our driver dropped us off at the entrance to the new terminal and was waiting for us when we returned to take us to the Rome rail station. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

We booked using terrydtx's link to VIP transfers.  They replied very quickly and we are booked and paid.  One more thing off my list.  🙂

They were highly recommended by someone on our roll call.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

My Doctor is excellent but told me that it was only under Emergency Approval for active cases and that he couldn't prescribe it prophetically.     He also told me he couldn't refill my sleeping pills for jetlagging after I hit 70.   It is like I magically change and an all 70 y.o. in the world suddenly may have balance issues if use it.    Oh well...  no trouble buying them in Mexico.

We found an online medical service that will prescribe it for travel if you are considered high risk. I probably shouldn't post it here, you can email me debcinkus  [at]  gmail   (dot)<com>.

34 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

For those adventurous ones going my train, the NS app even gives walking directions. 

IMG_2415.thumb.png.a5b0f019162029debf91932f96bace4d.pngIMG_2416.thumb.png.d16d99b5f1159c5999ea9f61909504f8.png

For our July 7th Apex cruise we're planning on taking the train from AMS to Amsterdam Central station, then walking 2 blocks to the Doubletree Amsterdam Central station Hotel for 2 nts. Then we will take the train from Central station to Rotterdam and walk a few blocks to the Holiday Inn Express Rotterdam Central station for 1 nt precruise. Post cruise we will take the train from Rotterdam directly to Brussels Airport, about 90 minutes away, to take a 2 hour flight from Brussels to Rome. Four days later we will be boarding the Odyssey of the Seas for a family cruise to the Greek Islands. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We sailed on the Reflection from the new cruise port at Civi and it is a long ways from the train station as I recall, not at all walkable. That new terminal is really nice and has a VIP lounge for Retreat guests before you board. Our driver dropped us off at the entrance to the new terminal and was waiting for us when we returned to take us to the Rome rail station. 

sounds much better than the old tents.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Croooser said:

Is the walking track on Apex very windy when the ship is moving?

Yes and/or no and/or maybe.  It always depends on the current wind conditions relative to the direction of travel.  On any ship.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

sounds much better than the old tents.

We were pleasantly surprised as I remembered the old tents terminal for 2009. The retreat VIP lounge had drinks and finger food while we waited to board.

25 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We were pleasantly surprised as I remembered the old tents terminal for 2009. The retreat VIP lounge had drinks and finger food while we waited to board.

I enjoyed the new terminal, but with the sun warming it up quickly, it was great to board ASAP!

I would also recommend RomeCabs for transportation; we are using them for long distance instead of renting a car because we know they will be there early and awaiting our arrival; although, they fill up quickly!  I love reading FB where the train is highly recommended by others who have no idea what that entails.  One would think that the train station is just steps away from the port to get on a Celebrity ship.  We have walked it before, but only because we were out walking all over Civi from our hotel.  I cannot imagine carrying/rolling luggage!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We are on the Apex in September from Rotterdam which is less than 20 miles from Amsterdam. Both cities share the same airport Schiphol in Amsterdam. We are spending 3 nights pre cruise in Amsterdam and then taking a private transfer to the Apex in Rotterdam. Most of the Apex cruises this summer are sailing from Rotterdam because of water level issues in Amsterdam.

Hi

Not sure it’s to do with water levels,I imagine the water level in Amsterdam is controlled by the locks into the North Sea.

The water levels in Holland is always controlled by dykes,,,they suffer from high water levels not low.

A problem a few years ago was Amsterdam imposed a tourist tax on cruise passengers,P&O  ruises was one company that refused to impose the tax into fares so refused to dock in Amsterdam and instead docked at Ijmuiden (sea side of the locks)

Passengers transferred to Amsterdam by shuttle buses.

Like lots of other ports it may just be the large amount of cruise traffic these days.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Log onto the USPS site and they will send you 4 tests with 1-2 day delivery for free.   I took some of my daughters and she reordered -  They were delivered in 2 days.

Thanks Jim, just ordered my free test kits. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I'd love to have a link for future cruises out of Amsterdam.  Just booked another last night that goes out of Rotterdam.  Not sure we would want to stay there.

My husband asked his doctor for an RX of Paxlovid.  Also asked for a RX for me.  The doctor gave him the prescription, but said that I would have to ask my own doctor.  I am not sure I would take it, so I am not planning on asking for it.  I realize that Paxlovid cannot be shared, but hopefully, one pack will be enough should one of us get sick.  Now we need to get some test kits.

Oddly....my friend on Oceania came down with covid and the ship doctor provided Paxlovid.  Wonder if X will do the same.

22 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I enjoyed the new terminal, but with the sun warming it up quickly, it was great to board ASAP!

I would also recommend RomeCabs for transportation; we are using them for long distance instead of renting a car because we know they will be there early and awaiting our arrival; although, they fill up quickly!  I love reading FB where the train is highly recommended by others who have no idea what that entails.  One would think that the train station is just steps away from the port to get on a Celebrity ship.  We have walked it before, but only because we were out walking all over Civi from our hotel.  I cannot imagine carrying/rolling luggage!

Last August we used Bob's limos to and from Civi. It was over 100 degrees F that week in Rome and the few people who took the train from Rome to Civi on our cruise were a sweating mess by the time they got to the ship.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We will be doing the train.   Luggage is no problem as we also often travel with a EuroRail pass.   As long as you have wheels should be ok but as I recall in Civitavecchia you have to use stairs to go down and up to cross to the departure track.    

Dutch Rail is really convenient and if you download the NS App you can buy your scanable Rail ticket as well as daily passes for the Tram/Bus system in Amsterdam

Agree Dutch rail is easy and convenient. We have used it many times including twice from AMS airport to Maastricht twice last year.  We have had very helpful folks around us too. Which was helpful when they canceled some train. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, swjumbo said:

You’re probably aware but for the others who are reading this, the quickest and one of the cheapest ways from Amsterdam to Rotterdam is by train.

Very, very reliable and many departures throughout the day.

Might be difficult with luggage though.

That's what we plan to do!  And for our upcoming trip, we will be going from AMS to Centraal station and leave large bags in a secure locker.  Then, we are taking the train to the border (Arnhem) to meet our friends from Germany who will be picking us up there.  I am confused about what we take and to where after getting off of the airplane. See below photo of ticket options. 😯

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Really strange this year -  they are alternating with the TA arriving Rotterdam,  the next cruise departs Rotterdam and Returns Amsterdam, Then the British Isles Cruise Departs Amsterdam and Returns to Rotterdam.    They then do Rotterdam returns for 6-7 cruises then shift back to Rotterdam/Amsterdam until mid-September then heads to Greece. 

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I agree, the email we got months ago when our September 14th cruise departure moved to Rotterdam referenced water levels and quality issues with the Amsterdam cruise port. Not sure what the real truth is?

I've read that it was because of work being done on the docks in Amsterdam.

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Before I started using Relaxium I would wake up between 2 and 3 am and toss and turn for hours. Now I sleep through the night, even with a pee break or two and feel well rested in the morning with no prescription hang over. My doctor who is 70 years old told me about the product and highly recommended it to me.

I cannot use anything with Melatonin.  Makes my heart race.

41 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Oddly....my friend on Oceania came down with covid and the ship doctor provided Paxlovid.  Wonder if X will do the same.

I've read from a few that came down with Covid that the ships either did not have supplies of Paxlovid, or they ran out.

Untitled.jpg