Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

10 hours ago, TrueCruiseaholic said:

At least five cruisers - all individuals who get double points for every cruise - have 10,000+ points. Maybe there should be a Super Ultra Zenith level at 10k? I kid. Other than being top cruiser and getting flowers, wine, and a free specialty there is nothing on paper that those guests receive that another Zenith would not also receive (at least from loyalty benefits).

Although, maybe there should be recognition for all above that level when there are several onboard (the current situation). I mean come on, they're Super Ultra!

I know there is a lot of talk about the Zeniths on this thread. I think it's mostly to encourage Jim and Iain to become Super Ultra Zenith and have all of us vicariously along for the ride.

Best wishes on your ascent perhaps on the Ascent.

Nahhh... we aren't concerned one way or not.    I hate to admit this story -   at our Zenith Lunch with the Captain and Executive staff the Captain asked how many cruises we had taken -  I was embarrassed to say I have no idea.   We cruise because we love being at sea - even on a rough weather cruise like this.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, AF-1 said:

The menu looks great.  What is a Zenith on Celebrity?  I took my first Celebrity Cruise last month.  Thanks

3,000 points -  you accrue points by number of days X points by cabin type.   Kinda like the airlines levels. 

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You can get that a wee bit faster if you participate in the power up point bonuses

Sadly the last opportunity was in March, I participated on 23/03/23.

None in April.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

When we sailed on Edge in February 2020, we had the DBP and were not charged an extra $1.00 for a regular martini.  We did get charged extra for the Flight and for the 25th Anniversary Margaria.

John, just realized you are doing a Panama Canal.   Will be ready from day one later today.  Sorry I hadn't dropped by earlier. 

7 hours ago, Payd said:

If someone on board could do me a favour, can you ask Captain Nikolas when he is out and about how long he will be on the ship? We are on the June 25 sailing from Rotterdam. It would be nice to see him again. He is such a personable man and great Captain.

I'll see what I can find out.

6 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

He returned from vacation on April 15.

Captains work 3 months on / 3 months off.

Thanks... I knew he had just joined the ship but wasn't sure.   Remind us of who the other Captain of Apex is?

5 hours ago, MisterMet said:

I have the JBL  It's got great sound, has the clip hook, and is waterproof.  Can clip it to almost anything and bring it with us.

I was curious and didn't look up the speck ---Looks to be no more than 2-4"---   Is it that small?

When you consider the sound quality of the Alexa Puck sound comes in small packages.    I've never thought of bringing the puck.  Would be interesting to see if I could set it up on a ship. 

Don't get me started or I'll bring my Ring for the front door. 

• Haha 4

Unusual menus for last night

IMG_3074.thumb.jpeg.49b58efd39c59bbd59faf42f89987401.jpeg

IMG_3075.thumb.jpeg.3ca92580cbe054211d5ec81a673c20ae.jpeg

I got the point of food overload and not hungry yesterday

Iain had the Ceviche and lobsters 🦞 He said best lobster he has had in a long time v

I was in the mood for comfort food and chose something I never noticed on menu.  The Mushroom Pot Pie.   Incredible!!!

IMG_3070.thumb.jpeg.d3b9d13c30ed3d59675ed3e1f7edd3c3.jpeg

IMG_3071.thumb.jpeg.24f524c89407ced0bfd401dd1990c5f3.jpeg

IMG_3072.thumb.jpeg.031eff2ac089d665bd5cc6121331269c.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was curious and didn't look up the speck ---Looks to be no more than 2-4"---   Is it that small?

When you consider the sound quality of the Alexa Puck sound comes in small packages.    I've never thought of bringing the puck.  Would be interesting to see if I could set it up on a ship. 

Don't get me started or I'll bring my Ring for the front door. 

The JBL is 3 3/4" diameter.  Deep, rich sound.  Not tinny at all.  Really like it.  I have it in blue.  Just added a camera in the living room to our Ring so we can watch Grazie when we're gone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks... I knew he had just joined the ship but wasn't sure.   Remind us of who the other Captain of Apex is?

Panagiotis Skylogiannis - He brought out a number of the S class ships.

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

And if you are a single traveling along you can cut that in half.   Possibly you can combine with the Double Points Bonus Cruises.   You can get that a wee bit faster if you participate in the power up point bonuses

Thank you for your feedback.  Cheers

2 hours ago, MisterMet said:

The JBL is 3 3/4" diameter.  Deep, rich sound.  Not tinny at all.  Really like it.  I have it in blue.  Just added a camera in the living room to our Ring so we can watch Grazie when we're gone.

LOL --- I use to have a Webcam and would check in on Luke -   I was in hysterics one day.   He was sacked out at the front door... loved a spot where he would get a bit of cool air from under the door.   The gardner was blowing grass off the front porch and turned the blower at the door... Luke when flying in the air out of surprise.  

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

What’s that blue stuff in the sky?

Don't know didn't last long. Been grey and foggy all day. 

image.thumb.jpg.18c4a26bd5c92d25502e3404a29ce9ff.jpg

Sorry didn’t feel it would improve by going outside in the 50 F misty smir.  

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

I can tell we need a day on land.  I’m getting tired of eating.    For lunch we had the flatbread and decided to split it.  The last Iain couldn’t finish. 

This one we noticed it was lighter and had no avocados.   Supplies may have run out.   It did turn out to be a light lunch. 

IMG_3096.thumb.jpeg.416c07f2436694e66d6511ff5f4e9232.jpeg

After @DaKahuna wet my appetite I ordered the simple ingredients for a do it yourself AFFAGATO

IMG_3099.thumb.jpeg.4476fc2440d36dbc36bccf0c17a4aaf0.jpeg

Iain had the chocolate lava cake way in the background 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

John, just realized you are doing a Panama Canal.   Will be ready from day one later today.  Sorry I hadn't dropped by earlier. 

No problem at all.  I can see you have been preoccupied with your own here.  

We finally hit some wind and waves after leaving Puerto Quetzal headed to Puerto Vallarta.  Loving the ‘motion of the Ocean’.  Slept like a baby last night.  Of course it is nothing like what you guys went through.

Edited by DaKahuna

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I can tell we need a day on land.  I’m getting tired of eating.    For lunch we had the flatbread and decided to split it.  The last Iain couldn’t finish. 

This one we noticed it was lighter and had no avocados.   Supplies may have run out.   It did turn out to be a light lunch. 

After @DaKahuna wet my appetite I ordered the simple ingredients for a do it yourself AFFAGATO

Iain had the chocolate lava cake way in the background 

Jim,  I wish the would tun out of the avocado on Millie.  I was taking large pieces off my flatbread and putting them on my bread plate. 
was yours served hot, warm, or cold.

Looking at today’s desert menu, I now know exactly what I am going to order with lunch!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I got the point of food overload and not hungry yesterday

Which is why for us, the two times we've traveled in Retreat Class, we never went to Luminae for Lunch. For us the lunch menus at Luminae are too similar to the dinner menus in that it's a more elaborate meal than we want for lunch. That's why we enjoy the buffet for lunch which allows us to customize what we want for lunch to a degree that's not possible even at Luminae. 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

No problem at all.  I can see you have been preoccupied with your own here.  

We finally hit some wind and waves after leaving Puerto Quetzal headed to Puerto Vallarta.  Loving the ‘motion of the Ocean’.  Slept like a baby last night.  Of course it is nothing like what you guys went through.

At least we arrive Cobh tomorrow.   Today Captain Nick performed a mass Wedding Vow Renewal for those interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Jim,  I wish the would tun out of the avocado on Millie.  I was taking large pieces off my flatbread and putting them on my bread plate. 
was yours served hot, warm, or cold.

Looking at today’s desert menu, I now know exactly what I am going to order with lunch!

LOL -

I am really setup on menus.    I was gifted a complete set of the 14 day rotation of the Luminae Dinner and Desert Menu and the 5 day lunch menu rotation.

21 hours ago, Redking said:

I like the look of the new Explora Journey ships and their itineraries. Looking forward to first reviews. @Happy Cruiser 6143 if you're reading this, did  I see you are cruising with them this year?

Of course I'm reading this.  Wouldn't miss one of Jim's trip reports.

Yes, I did have one booked--Iceland/Greenland.  Booked a long time ago.  As my knees got worse, I decided to cancel and get them fixed instead.  Beware, Explora has a $200 cancelation penalty.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 1