Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

I see that you are going full steam ahead.  This is day 20 for us, but tomorrow is a day I’ve been waiting for, so am gearing up.  Do you ever question the length of time you spend on a ship/ vacation?  I did for the very first time last fall.  You have done so many more cruises, so I was just wondering…We moved from a Sunset Suite to an SV, really liking our downgrade…big surprise to me.

4 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I see that you are going full steam ahead.  This is day 20 for us, but tomorrow is a day I’ve been waiting for, so am gearing up.  Do you ever question the length of time you spend on a ship/ vacation?  I did for the very first time last fall.  You have done so many more cruises, so I was just wondering…We moved from a Sunset Suite to an SV, really liking our downgrade…big surprise to me.

SV..no longer the best kept secret!

• Like 2

On 5/10/2023 at 1:09 PM, Jim_Iain said:

We always pack for 7 days Plus Jacket, dress pants and dress shows - Regardless of Cruise Lenght.  One Suite Case each - Back Pack for me and Hand Bag for Iain.

We do have an advantage to many others because we can swap off.  

Usually the bags come in at about 45 Pounds.... all my electronics probably account for 20% of my allocation.

Thanks for your explanation

22 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Lol. I wish we could pack that light.  We took one large, one medium, and one small suitcase on our recent cruise. 

When we flew home we had two large and one medium suitcase, the small one was inside a new large one we had shipped to our son's house.  When I checked the bags for our flight home the two large were 56-lbs each and the medium one was 39-lbs.  

Am I correct that int'l baggage allowance is 75lbs per bag?

41 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

AA

We calculate the size limits of your bag by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, length + width + height.

For all regions, except to / from Australia or New Zealand, your checked bag allowance is:

Dimension: 62 in / 158 cm

Weight: 50 lbs / 23 kgs

For First / Business, weight is 70 lbs / 32 kgs for complimentary bags and 50 lbs / 23 kgs for excess charged bags

For all confirmed customers on flights to / from Australia or New Zealand:

Dimension: 62 in / 158 cm

Weight: 70 lbs / 32kgs for complimentary bags and 50 lbs / 23 kgs for excess charged bags

Oversize and overweight bags 

AA For all classes of service, standard first, second, or additional bag fees apply up to 50 lbs / 23 kgs

Edited by gerelmx

9 hours ago, AF-1 said:

It will vary by airlines but generally 23 Kg or 50 Lbs.    They will accept up to 100 Lbs but would would be considered heavy wight and would require a payment calculated on weight .   Expensive.

From United Airlines

Each bag should weigh less than 23KG/50LBS. This is an international regulation set for the health and safety of airport workers who have to lift hundreds of bags daily. If your bag weighs more than this, you may be asked to repack, or have it labeled as "heavy luggage".
  • Like 1

Thursday   5/11/2023

Really busy day.   Alex and Evelyn arrived yesterday from Glasgow.   Iain and I went to the airport to collect them as they are not very experienced with travel.   The NS Rail App is incredibly easy.  Also if multiple people are traveling on the same reservation they discount the tickets.   

IMG_4392.thumb.png.f7e0015afd8f63f134f4c24274ebd865.png

we purchased joint journey for 5 euros pp

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

Amsterdam Airports is a really an easy airport to navigate and the Train Station is only about 700 feet from the Arrivals area or upstairs for departures

IMG_4397.jpeg

IMG_4406.jpeg

IMG_4407.jpeg

The had a bit of trouble figuring out which area they collected luggage but a nice police officer came to their Rescue.

Here they come -  Meet Alex and Evelyn

IMG_4414.jpeg

Quick walk to Track 1 and 2 -   1 for Amsterdam and 2 for Rotterdam.   Although plenty of seats they wanted to stand with luggage near the door as they had been sitting for almost 2 hours.

IMG_4415.thumb.jpeg.eb1ac0954fea1444b3f7e9f83226a3ac.jpeg

At Amsterdam Centraal Station Busses leave from the rear of the terminal and Trams from the Front.    We chose busses as it is less crowded and plenty of space for luggage. 

IMG_4416.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 7

I received a number of great Restaurants in Amsterdam.    All I can say is -  Book Early.   All the places even the ones for lunch were fully booked.

We finally found a real treat.   Senses Restaurant a Michelin 2-star.  We were able to get a reservation early in the week but they require a 20€ pp deposit.    They also called yesterday to confirm we would be coming as they have a waitlist.

image.thumb.png.be158dd2a5081715e6329a3ccf8fbe0f.png

From the moment we arrived we knew we were in for an enjoyable evening.    It is a very small intimate place with seating for about 20.

IMG_4422.thumb.jpeg.4e34b8c26c3e4f790ec7511228df0d27.jpeg

When we walked through the door the Waiter/Maitre'd came rushing over and took our coats and said -  Mr Smaltz we are so pleased to have you and our party.    The waiter(s) were incredible and very engaging but never intrusive.  I kidded him and said how did you know who I was.   He just smiled and said we know these things.    Later I figured we were the only table of 4 and only one arriving at or 7:30 reserve ration time.

The incredible element we all enjoyed was there was no pretense and all staff made you feel like you were visiting their home while providing impeccable service.

There really is no menu except you choose 4, 5 or 6 course -  additional add on's along the way if you choose. 

IMG_4432.thumb.jpeg.50f41cf14d16b7ad9cd5a75d6b5ca126.jpeg

IMG_4433.thumb.jpeg.118cae2b206c481f49e9a55d0de10487.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 6

On 5/2/2023 at 3:59 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Could be totally different in a month.  Pack for layering and you will be perfect. 

I'm a bit of a lurker on your threads but I always enjoy hearing about your adventures. 

I've only done two transatlantics. Is there any way of knowing which ships take a more southerly route ? Ports maybe ? 

I'm desperately trying to catch up and looking forward to the rest of your trip 

Sue

We booked Senses for our trip at the end of June. Very excited!!  We LOVE dinning this way where we don’t know what to expect. (Going to skip any future posts on this topic so we remain

surprised!)

We already know we are going to do the Ultimate Experience.

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

I'm a bit of a lurker on your threads but I always enjoy hearing about your adventures. 

I've only done two transatlantics. Is there any way of knowing which ships take a more southerly route ? Ports maybe ? 

I'm desperately trying to catch up and looking forward to the rest of your trip 

Sue

It pretty easy by knowing the ports 

TAs to or from South America are the most southerly crossing 

Cruises starting and ending in the Mediterranean are a bit northerly 

Cruise  ending in UK , or Netherlands is  Northerly 

And TAs that port in Iceland and Greenland are Northern crossings 

😁

By Nov 2024 we will be done them all 

if you can find a TA cruise that ports in Canary Island , that should be the warmest of the Cruises the start or end in Florida 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thursday   5/11/2023

Really busy day.   Alex and Evelyn arrived yesterday from Glasgow.   Iain and I went to the airport to collect them as they are not very experienced with travel.   The NS Rail App is incredibly easy.  Also if multiple people are traveling on the same reservation they discount the tickets.   

IMG_4392.thumb.png.f7e0015afd8f63f134f4c24274ebd865.png

we purchased joint journey for 5 euros pp

Hi Jim. On the app when purchasing train tickets under the Joint Journey option what is the full phrase underneath? Wondering what it says between ‘se and on ticket holder’   This might be an option for our group of four 🤔

Also, wow, can really see the family resemblance between Iain and his sister…seems they have the same sense of humour too! Enjoy your reunion and the rest of your time in Amsterdam! 

The meal began with ordering wine or water.   They do charge 6-8 € water service per person and the money goes to charity.

The Chefs choices are chosen daily by what is available fresh and meets his standards.    He appeals to all of you Senses - Taste, Smell, Looks and ambiance.  

Without seeming trite --   It was the best meal I have ever had in my life.    It is a very casual pace and 3 hours slipped by and we all raved about it.   There were many things that Evelyn and I would have never ordered if we had chosen - e.g. raw scallops caveche (Evelyn's Surprise thought she would have never enjoyed)   and Sweet Breads that I have never allowed myself to try.   Every dish had layers of flavor and texture and impossible to describe -   I missed photos of the Desert and a couple course like fresh baked briosch hot from the oven.    Seemed like they had a Amuse Bouche between each course and desert.

We began with a Amuse Bouche of a refreshing beverage to cleanse the pallet

Followed with the first Appetizer -  We had chosen the 5 Course meal.   Portions may seem small be we were stuffed by the end of the evening.

IMG_4427.thumb.jpeg.47fd68a61cd858c16cce6de5a0066c8d.jpeg

IMG_4424.thumb.jpeg.04e2df4e21e23b7a2a12fea11357c1f1.jpeg

IMG_4428.thumb.jpeg.367252dc2e02cfbf5a91923e4475a0cd.jpeg

IMG_4429.thumb.jpeg.e68fa1bd964945fd235f8a2f04f2d105.jpeg

IMG_4430.thumb.jpeg.49e2a99031cf4b6062aa8f559dc5a07c.jpeg

IMG_4431.thumb.jpeg.cc7dc93d0f26a750d55a31a8dbb55a63.jpeg

IMG_4434.thumb.jpeg.da78ff306f18497b08d0e01aa460030e.jpeg

IMG_4435.thumb.jpeg.c3b589685dd39494512e8c525f5d1270.jpeg

IMG_4438.thumb.jpeg.067a33fd0a7bf6cd675205d659eea634.jpeg

IMG_4440.thumb.jpeg.e1f4a36cd146baa9343a425eb31b4c13.jpeg

IMG_4441.thumb.jpeg.dd2db78637f8a56cd50f8cdc110991ba.jpeg

IMG_4443.jpeg

IMG_4445.jpeg

IMG_4446.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2023 at 8:23 PM, juanrod said:

Have you had any further issues with Apple Pay or cc on the grocery marts since your first day @Jim_Iain

Update --- Grocery Stores are really weird.   Alex to make things easy in Scotland got a Euros Debit Card.   It was rejected at the Tulip Gardens for lunch.    Just to try on return he tried it in the Grocery store.    Something went wrong and somehow we brought down the complete cashier computer system it the store.   As a line of 20 formed behind us and the manager having to call IT somewhere to reboot all the cash registers I'm glad we don't understand Dutch.   Took us 20 minutes to finally pay for our purchases with cash.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 12:50 AM, jetblue said:

We've done Iceland before but this is on another level, Norway is so beautiful and majestic. Unfortunately my hiking days are over with 2 herniated discs in my back so we just enjoyed the train round-trip but it's quite a site. The sailaway from Flåm is about 6 hours long. You have to sail through an extensive amount of fjords before hitting the the North Sea and then we will be entering the next set of fjords at about 2am tonight to arrive at Geiranger in the morning. It's just amazing a big cruise ship can go so far inland, it's like Alaska on steroids!

You make me want to go.   Now all I have to do is convince Iain...   The weather turned beautiful today in Amsterdam.   Drizzle in the morning then cleared to beautiful blue skies and about 70F.   It is suppose to remain like this through Sunday for your return.

Are you spending time in Amsterdam or are you rushing back to work.   Ohhhhh how I don't miss those days.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2023 at 3:58 PM, Lastdance said:

I have to say it was nice to get off the ship 24-25 days.    A weeks break has been so nice and of course Amsterdam is just so relaxed and welcoming you fall in love with it over and over again.

We have been running Alex and Evelyn ragged and we all slept very well last night.   Early morning today as we had a 10:30 Reservation for Keukenhof. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hcat said:

Jim /  Iain

so happy you have been able to revisit old memories while making new ones!

great photos as always

-

Ahh. . . the memories.    We knew our favorite restaurant Holland's Glory has long been no more but walked by and it had been turned into a very modern stainless and glass something.   Hard to believe as it had been in  the family for 3 generations.   We've known the owners for 35-40 years so missed seeing them again.   Times does fly by -

28 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Hi Jim. On the app when purchasing train tickets under the Joint Journey option what is the full phrase underneath? Wondering what it says between ‘se and on ticket holder’   This might be an option for our group of four 🤔

Also, wow, can really see the family resemblance between Iain and his sister…seems they have the same sense of humour too! Enjoy your reunion and the rest of your time in Amsterdam! 

I think it says Travel with a Second or more passenger -   It cuts off on the iPhone.   When I click on it - it indicates the rate I selected was an off peak fare and additional fee will be required during prime time.

• Thanks 1

All caught up -    See if I can update for today.   It is now 4:40PM an we have dinner reservations at 6 before the Vienna Symphony tonight.   Tomorrow is going to be a chill day. 

We  got up early and off to the Tram and Metro to EuroaPlain where we boarded the bus for Keukenhof. 

Ok.   Ok. Iain I’ll get dressed for dinner.  Here’s quick teaser 

sidewalk out front of our flat

IMG_4450.thumb.jpeg.e5a89dab8a0da76d7a97aed468f05bb7.jpeg

IMG_4451.thumb.jpeg.1bf69fa77c41f79d1e43094c61fdcc78.jpeg

IMG_4452.thumb.jpeg.a5266098c559b89d4c86757950485339.jpeg

IMG_4456.thumb.jpeg.7e57d6fe2ebc39e8a972f58fa32fa44a.jpeg

IMG_4457.jpeg

IMG_4458.jpeg

IMG_4460.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 11

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You make me want to go.   Now all I have to do is convince Iain...   The weather turned beautiful today in Amsterdam.   Drizzle in the morning then cleared to beautiful blue skies and about 70F.   It is suppose to remain like this through Sunday for your return.

Are you spending time in Amsterdam or are you rushing back to work.   Ohhhhh how I don't miss those days.

It is absolutely worth it! Definitely do it at some point. Some of these Norwegian ports of call are so remote they are barely touched by man and are so beautiful.

We plan to spend 24 hours in Amsterdam before flying home. We've got a few tours booked so glad to hear the weather should hold out. We're in Bergen today and it's blue skies and 60 degrees. Best weather of the cruise so far but it never really got too cold.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Update --- Grocery Stores are really weird.   Alex to make things easy in Scotland got a Euros Debit Card.   It was rejected at the Tulip Gardens for lunch.    Just to try on return he tried it in the Grocery store.    Something went wrong and somehow we brought down the complete cashier computer system it the store.   As a line of 20 formed behind us and the manager having to call IT somewhere to reboot all the cash registers I'm glad we don't understand Dutch.   Took us 20 minutes to finally pay for our purchases with cash.

Wow, glad we are bringing enough euros for this portion of the trip just in case. Thanks for the update 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Never had a problem with a CDN CC traveling , so that is pretty weird