Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

Happy birthday Iain! 
My husband and I were in Invergordon in April and while walking round the town we found the Seafarers’ Centre in the Church. We were made very welcome and offered tea and refreshments. When we went in there was a display screen welcoming “all passengers and crew of the *insert name of ship*”. Any passengers were directed to the right of the room and given tea and biscuits (donations accepted) and crew were directed to the left for similar refreshments (no donations required and is there anything else we can help with). My husband is ex-Royal Navy and was touched to see how well the ship’s crew were being looked after. 
I would encourage anyone visiting Invergordon to seek it out.

86FCE546-1012-442D-B8EB-3A4F1CEFD64F.thumb.jpeg.7d3a5f302d074291fc0b217bb0943d1c.jpeg

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Redking said:

Wow oil rigs near Invergordon. Clearly a long time since I lived in Scotland. I only ever knew them when I was a student in Aberdeen and they were out in the North Sea half way to Norway. It would have been around the time of the terrible Piper Alpha disaster.

Happy Birthday Iain!

@Redkingwhich course/University were you doing/at? Piper Alpha was the eve of my 19th birthday - I live in Aberdeen and over the helicopter flight path and still remember the sound of the helicopters that night. We lost so many that night and my mum who was in insurance at the time remembers going to hand our cheques.

Wendy

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Mary Ann.  

I do remember meeting you on the stairs after so many days. 

last night Iain met a person that he used to smoke with from the same cruise.   Funny how small the world is. 

You are so right! One quick story. We cruised to French Polynesia on our 2nd cruise. Met a couple at lunch, chatted here and there, and went on our way. The next year we cruised to Alaska and ran into this same couple the first morning. We ended up eating dinner with them each night on that cruise. After that, we traveled with them for years on some of our favorite trips, including a two week safari in Africa and the Galapagos Islands and Machu Picchu. In fact, they helped instill our sense of adventure in traveling around the world. Life circumstances interrupted our ability to travel with them, but they are a part of so many happy memories.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wendyam76 said:

Happy Birthday Iain!

@Redkingwhich course/University were you doing/at? Piper Alpha was the eve of my 19th birthday - I live in Aberdeen and over the helicopter flight path and still remember the sound of the helicopters that night. We lost so many that night and my mum who was in insurance at the time remembers going to hand our cheques.

Wendy

BSc Psychology. Class of 1984 at the then only varsity, Aberdeen 😉. I think Robert Gordons is now also a university? Piper was a terrible, terrible disaster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redking said:

BSc Psychology. Class of 1984 at the then only varsity, Aberdeen 😉. I think Robert Gordons is now also a university? Piper was a terrible, terrible disaster.

I graduated with a BSc Zoology in 1991 from Aberdeen University! Robert Gordon’s is indeed a University now also. In fact I teach at Robert Gordon’s College - the 3-18 school the University developed from. Our pipe band played for the first major cruise line to dock at our new harbour, Aida, just a few weeks ago.
Many of my friends went into the oil industry and safety thankfully is greatly improved. However anytime I hear more than one copter go past I worry. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wendyam76 said:

I graduated with a BSc Zoology in 1991 from Aberdeen University! Robert Gordon’s is indeed a University now also. In fact I teach at Robert Gordon’s College - the 3-18 school the University developed from. Our pipe band played for the first major cruise line to dock at our new harbour, Aida, just a few weeks ago.
Many of my friends went into the oil industry and safety thankfully is greatly improved. However anytime I hear more than one copter go past I worry. 

Coincidence, I did first year Zoology but a wee while before you!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Invergordon is a fun little town with so much to discover.   One thing they are known for are the War Murals.   They actually have an Invergordon Wall Art App. 

IMG_5365.thumb.jpeg.da76563bbcf7cf46b0a300ec05dd50d3.jpeg

IMG_5377.thumb.jpeg.572562d2082affed720d74f3b2664ed3.jpeg

IMG_5382.jpeg

IMG_5384.jpeg

IMG_5400.jpeg

IMG_5402.jpeg

IMG_5405.jpeg

IMG_5408.jpeg

IMG_5409.jpeg

IMG_5491.jpeg

IMG_5492.jpeg

IMG_5493.jpeg

IMG_5495.jpeg

IMG_5499.jpeg

Love these photos, most are taken 10 min walk from where my aunt, uncle and cousins live - so  many memories 🥰

I don't know if it's open because last trip they were doing renovations but if anyone ever is looking for a distillery tour there is Dalmore distillery not far from the port. Although highlands has a lot so sure there would be others if that one isn't open for tours.

Edited by Lena11033

10 hours ago, ijscheer said:

Queens College (CUNY) class of 1958 here

cool..It was a great school but I  transferred after one year to Hofstra

( in the suburbs)  .It was a long commute to and from  Queens College and only on street parking...daily pain.

2 hours ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

Happy Birthday, Iain! Looks like you're going to have quite the celebration!

HBDFrog.gif

adding our good wishes..

another Happy Family Birthday!

enjoy the Celebration!

Hcat and Sal

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Martha1974 said:

Happy birthday Iain! 
My husband and I were in Invergordon in April and while walking round the town we found the Seafarers’ Centre in the Church. We were made very welcome and offered tea and refreshments. When we went in there was a display screen welcoming “all passengers and crew of the *insert name of ship*”. Any passengers were directed to the right of the room and given tea and biscuits (donations accepted) and crew were directed to the left for similar refreshments (no donations required and is there anything else we can help with). My husband is ex-Royal Navy and was touched to see how well the ship’s crew were being looked after. 
I would encourage anyone visiting Invergordon to seek it out.

86FCE546-1012-442D-B8EB-3A4F1CEFD64F.thumb.jpeg.7d3a5f302d074291fc0b217bb0943d1c.jpeg

The city was very welcoming. 

• Like 1

Iain tanks all for their Birthday wishes. 

Wonderful evening. 

couple pictures 

IMG_5538.thumb.jpeg.7d23c168cd13ed8d947164a00aa957ef.jpeg

IMG_5540.thumb.jpeg.0ef43154a20ebaafee7cea0ed91066b4.jpeg

Chef and MD came over with birthday greetings. IMG_5556.thumb.jpeg.f90a9975dbe4b34c1dfd589dc24b9f6c.jpeg

followed with Marina Director of Guest Relations and Cathy Front Desk Manager.  We have sailed with them before and are incredible.

IMG_5564.thumb.jpeg.ac0b8a8ce691929f33b0c0d277b41e43.jpeg

IMG_5546.thumb.jpeg.448b179bb979532797d8e56ca4b87e42.jpeg
The am Busch was a spicy raw fish and our waitress Lolita mad us an alternative. 

IMG_5552.thumb.jpeg.b6d793022b7c855ed679e97c061c3b28.jpeg

IMG_5553.thumb.jpeg.f77170ec8bad432c702a30045c98f2ef.jpeg

IMG_5554.thumb.jpeg.5446dd87ccf5c346b75cccb5e0668a0a.jpeg

IMG_5555.thumb.jpeg.a2b6c80a2b8b0b3a104b313d0a9d153b.jpeg

IMG_5547.jpeg

• Like 12