Are formal nights returning?

On the Mariner last November, we had Dress Your Best nights as opposed to Formal Nights.

We are on the Serenade on 4/30 and the first 2 days of the Daily Compass are available. At 5PM on Day 2, which is a sea day, it says Tonight's Attire: Formal.

Are others seeing Formal instead of Dress Your Best?

To answer the question - NO, I would be surprised to see true  formal  night return.   Sometimes  we see "Formal" and other "Dress your best".  In fact, it was listed as one way in the App and another in the compass for the same night. 

M

2 hours ago, Dolby1000 said:

On the Mariner last November, we had Dress Your Best nights as opposed to Formal Nights.

We are on the Serenade on 4/30 and the first 2 days of the Daily Compass are available. At 5PM on Day 2, which is a sea day, it says Tonight's Attire: Formal.

I personally Hope they never return, at least not like it was 20 years ago

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser Girl said:

On our 8-day sailing on the Jewel we had one night designated at Formal and a different night designated at Dress Your Best. I honestly don't know what the difference is.

This has been most of my experiences' also

• Like 4

I've got a family cruise booked for August on Oasis and trying to convince the male members to bring a blazer for one of the nights for a nice family picture.  I think I'm wasting my breath.  Best I can hope for is long pants with a nice polo and no sandals or flip flops.😜

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dolby1000 said:

Please can I ask where you can see the cruise compass? I too sail 30/04 but on IOS

46 minutes ago, loman said:

I will be leaving the blazer at home . I will wear long pants and a button down shirt. Thats as formal as i will get . 🙂

100% agree with you. It is a vacation. Plus why drag along the extra clothes?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I sure hope so, I can't wait to put on my best Lederhosen or Kilt or Formal British Military Shorts.  

They still have "formal night" and "dress your best night". Not everyone goes all out, but many do and if you want to do it, go for it. Do whatever you are comfortable with and have fun!! We get dressed up for those nights and love it. 

Edited by mom2miracles
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

In my 48 years I’ve never heard of a button down shirt. Please elaborate. 

A button-down is any shirt with regular buttons on the front and two more buttons on each side of the collar. The buttons on the collar are meant to hold the collars down. You can wear them on both formal and less formal occasions.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Are formal nights returning?

I sure hope so, I can't wait to put on my best Lederhosen or Kilt or Formal British Military Shorts.  

Just make sure you do not walk across any subway ventilation shafts and get a "Marilyn Monroe" photograph!

🤢

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, smw621 said:

Just got off 7 days in Oasis. We had a dress your best and a formal night. 

What was the percentage of formally dressed passengers ? 

I found it about 50 % on Oasis and Allure the last few years.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mom2miracles said:

They still have "formal night" and "dress your best night". Not everyone goes all out, but many do and if you want to do it, go for it. Do whatever you are comfortable with and have fun!! We get dressed up for those nights and love it. 

And I wouldn't dream of suggesting that you do otherwise.  

4 minutes ago, loman said:

What was the percentage of formally dressed passengers ? 

I found it about 50 % on Oasis and Allure the last few years.

I'd say a little more than 50%. It went from one extreme to the other dress wise. 

• Like 2