How do you feel about an interior room?

I think each person knows, in their own mind, what will work for them. We are perfectly fine with inside rooms. We also do balconies but it’s not that big of a deal for us.

Contrary to what some are saying about Alaska, it is one of the times we wanted a balcony for sure, so we could sit out and watch the shore and scenery at our leasure without running up to the pool deck.

My first three cruises were in an interior, and I did an oceanview on last cruise. I really liked the window. It was on Enchantment, so the window was right over the bed. I loved sitting in bed and watching the sun rise or set. I'm going on a cruise on Holland in August with my girlfriend (her first), and she really wanted a balcony because she is still a little spooked by the whole concept of being on a ship. I'm sure it will be great, but I think oceanview makes sense when I'm going solo.

We originally sailed with 4 of us and to keep to the budget booked inside cabins. Once we were upgraded (for free) to an OV. I did like the daylight coming through the porthole, but other than the light there was little to see. As we became a party of two we continued with a combo of inside and OV until the last couple of years. Many times we booked guarantee with mixed outcomes.

At this point I book a balcony. I like the light, being able to get outside in a private space and spend a lot of time out there. This was most important when we started cruising again after covid. If we were going to be stuck in a cabin I wanted to be able to get to fresh air. (Know that some lines moved you and you didn't get to stay in booked cabin). I have nothing against an inside cabin and my daughter takes her family of four in inside cabins for price and what she's used to.

I have no desire to pay the price of anything over a balcony. Am happy just having a private space to sit outside.

tbh, I love an interior room when I travel with my daughter who is 6...its the only chance I get to sleep in...she has no idea of what time it is so instead of her usual 6am wakeup, she gets up at 9-10am. I did like the spaciuosness of an OC room but i always book interior

• Like 4

6 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Yes i am going to alaska. You mean because it is light later in evening?

A balcony in alaska is a must.    You’ll see so much wildlife and beautiful scenery.    Just close the curtains for sleeping.  
after my first balcony in alaska. I would never go back to a jail room cabin again.   
on my last alaska cruise I seen so many whales right from my balcony.  
had eagles fly by while laying in bed looking out the balcony big glass sliders.   
getting up in the morning and sitting on the balcony eating breakfast. Or having a drink at night is just amazing.  Yes you can go up on the outer decks and watch the day go by.  But it’s nice to have your own piece of beautiful country to look at with out other around.    

We have done 20 cruises and 19 were in inside cabins.  If I want to see outside I go up to the lido. It is hard to believe that people pay $3000-$4000 for a cabin when I can get one for less than half.  But, I am cheap, no frugal, no cheap.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

Comeback and say that if it was the only option you could afford. After a few years or maybe 10 years without going anyplace, you might think differently.

Nope. I'd rather not sail than do an inside cabin. Private outdoor space is a non-negotiable requirement for me to enjoy a cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, clackey said:

We have done 20 cruises and 19 were in inside cabins.  If I want to see outside I go up to the lido. It is hard to believe that people pay $3000-$4000 for a cabin when I can get one for less than half.  But, I am cheap, no frugal, no cheap.

Lolol. I’d change who Evers booking your travel.
My last alaska cruise as a solo cruiser on princess discovery 1200.00. 7 days
my last Bahamas cruise 850.00 with 200 OBC 850.00. On msc Mariviglia 7 days 
my last Caribbean cruise 2200.00 on royal wonder 7 days 

my last Panama cruise 15 days 2300.00.   NCl. Joy

all with in the last 7 months.   all solo. All booked myself.  

Edited by Cruise5life

I promise you'll enjoy your vacation in an inside cabin.  I've stayed in all types of cabins over the years, and have had fantastic cruises in inside rooms.  For seven straight days, you'll be doing fun stuff outside the cabin from morning until late night, and for the most part just sleeping and showering in there.  Unless you're in a suite, all cruise ship cabins are essentially sardine cans with a bed and a bathroom, compared to a standard hotel room.  Balcony rooms are sardine cans with a bed, a bathroom -- and a small balcony.  Finally, here is one fact that never changes -- at the end of the day, people in inside cabins on the lowest deck sail to the exact same places as people in the Royal Suite.  You do you, and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by NaplesGoBlue
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Nope. I'd rather not sail than do an inside cabin. Private outdoor space is a non-negotiable requirement for me to enjoy a cruise. 

This right here.  Love my time on the balcony. Just watching the day go by.  
love when I’m getting ready for dinner.  To just walk outside and chat with my neighbors on the balcony.   I’ve meet some great people next to me on balcony’s.     Only had one asshat next to me once.   

12 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I received one of those royalup offers. I was disregarding it but now i wonder what its like waking up and not having the natural sunlight in the room in a interior. Are people leaving the light on in the bathroom or maybe bring a nightlight so there is some light in the morning?

Nope. Honestly, the lack of natural light is the biggest draw for me. I sleep AMAZINGLY on cruise ships specifically because I always choose interiors. I've done an outside once, and a balcony once, and will never do that again. Way too much light with either of them - I LOVE having it pitch black in there! It's the best sleep ever, but then again I'm one of those people who has blackout curtains in my bedroom at home because otherwise when the sunlight starts streaming in before 5 am in the summer I'm absolutely miserable.

I detest nightlights, and can't sleep if there's one in my room. Literally. It's way too much light and keeps me awake.

My parents refuse to cruise in anything less than a balcony, so for me it's the best of both worlds. I can hang out on theirs if I really feel compelled, but personally I'd rather just be out and about around the ship rather than hiding away in my room.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NaplesGoBlue said:

I promise you'll enjoy your vacation in an inside cabin.  I've stayed in all types of cabins over the years, and have had fantastic cruises in inside rooms.  For seven straight days, you'll be doing fun stuff outside the cabin from morning until late night, and for the most part just sleeping and showering in there.  Unless you're in a suite, all cruise ship cabins are essentially sardine cans with a bed and a bathroom, compared to a standard hotel room.  Balcony rooms are sardine cans with a bed, a bathroom -- and a small balcony.  Finally, here is one fact that never changes -- at the end of the day, people in inside cabins on the lowest deck sail to the exact same places as people in the Royal Suite.  You do you, and enjoy your cruise!

And an inside cabins not a sardine can Lolol.   Ok.  
If you like being inside a jail cell I guess an inside cabin is for you.  
heck even some jail cells have windows. Lolol.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

Nope. Honestly, the lack of natural light is the biggest draw for me. I sleep AMAZINGLY on cruise ships specifically because I always choose interiors. I've done an outside once, and a balcony once, and will never do that again. Way too much light with either of them - I LOVE having it pitch black in there! It's the best sleep ever, but then again I'm one of those people who has blackout curtains in my bedroom at home because otherwise when the sunlight starts streaming in before 5 am in the summer I'm absolutely miserable.

I detest nightlights, and can't sleep if there's one in my room. Literally. It's way too much light and keeps me awake.

My parents refuse to cruise in anything less than a balcony, so for me it's the best of both worlds. I can hang out on theirs if I really feel compelled, but personally I'd rather just be out and about around the ship rather than hiding away in my room.

All the balcony cabins I’ve been on have black out curtains.  
and add in these and you’re good.   Lol

i wouldn’t wear them.  I’m an earlier riser so I don’t worry about a little light.  Lol. 

C244C627-0BB3-4B1F-8963-244E9894308F.png

6 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

All the balcony cabins I’ve been on have black out curtains.  
and add in these and you’re good.   Lol

i wouldn’t wear them.  I’m an earlier riser so I don’t worry about a little light.  Lol. 

C244C627-0BB3-4B1F-8963-244E9894308F.png

Honestly, we didn't use the balcony anywhere near enough to justify the additional expense, and I didn't sleep as well as I do in the cave (aka interior).

I'm the girl who doesn't turn on lights when getting up in the middle of the night to go pee. I'm incredibly sensitive to light. Like I said, even a nightlight is too bright for me. LOL Interior is perfect.

Edited by DukeASUGirl
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

And an inside cabins not a sardine can Lolol.   Ok.  
If you like being inside a jail cell I guess an inside cabin is for you

Yep.  Whether you want to admit it or not, as I stated in my original post, BOTH insides and balconies are basically sardine cans.  Fact:  On RCCL's newest and biggest ship - Wonder of the Seas, an inside cabin is 172 square feet.  A balcony room is 182 square feet.  To put that in perspective, the average U.S. home is over 2,200 square feet.  Even a standard hotel room at a Fairfield Inn  is about 325 square feet.  So, from your perspective, both inside and balcony rooms legitimately qualify as "jail cells" from a total size perspective.  And one quick question:  Why do posters on internet message boards always have the "Lololololol" reaction to their OWN personal posts?  --  99.9% of the time, it's laughing at something that isn't in any measurable way funny, witty, or even mildly amusing.  🤔  Could be good subject matter for a CC poll entitled "Cringey-ist things on the internet"...

Edited by NaplesGoBlue

16 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

Honestly, we didn't use the balcony anywhere near enough to justify the additional expense, and I didn't sleep as well as I do in the cave (aka interior).

I'm the girl who doesn't turn on lights when getting up in the middle of the night to go pee. I'm incredibly sensitive to light. Like I said, even a nightlight is too bright for me. LOL Interior is perfect.

I’m the same way when it come to light.   I have tape coving the red light on the tv.lol.  When I have a cable box it hap take on it.     Same with the smoke alarms.  Tape. Lolol.   
but I sleep like a rock on cruises.   And I don’t drink.   Lolol.  

I use my balcony all the time.   I like to record videos from the balcony.   
I do a lot of Timelapse videos.   Sunset. Coming in to ports.  Or just cruising the Alaskan coasts.   

3 minutes ago, NaplesGoBlue said:

Yep.  Whether you want to admit it or not, as I stated in my original post, BOTH insides and balconies are basically sardine cans.  Fact:  On RCCL's newest and biggest ship - Wonder of the Seas, an inside cabin is 172 square feet.  A balcony room is 182 square feet.  To put that in perspective, the average U.S. home is over 2,200 square feet.  Even a standard hotel room at a Fairfield Inn  is about 325 square feet.  So, from your perspective, both legitimately qualify as "jail cells" from a total size perspective.  And one quick question:  Why do posters on internet message boards always have the "Lololololol" reaction to their own personal posts?  --  99.9% of the time, it's laughing at something that isn't in any measurable way funny, witty, or even mildly amusing.  🤔  Could be good subject matter for a CC poll entitled "Cringey-ist things on the internet"...

I just got off the Wonder.   Traveling g Solo I have more than enough room. 
I just did 30 days at sea.   3 cruise lines all balconies.   Wouldn’t change a thing.   I don’t need a big home.  I’m content with a studio.    But give me a big garage.  
and no idea why someone would laugh at there owns posts.   You may want to ask them.   

Some of the answers on here are clearly from people who have no concept that not everyone has the same spending power as them! I have been on 5 cruises, 3 interiors and 2 ocean views and have a Central Park Balcony in 2 weeks on Harmony. For me a cruise in an interior cabin sure beats no cruise at all! 

Of course having a window (or balcony) is better than having no natural light. How much this effects your experience is going to be down to how much time you spend in the cabin and whether you are a negative nellie or someone with a positive mindset. Primarily for us the cabin is just to sleep and shower in. We see plenty of the sea on deck or  from the many windows on board (not so much the latter on Oasis class). 

If money was no object then everyone would be in a suite!  if your price point only allows interior you can still have a brilliant cruise. Ive never had a bad cruise! 

Edited by FirstCruise2331
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Did it once and that was enough for us. We only get to cruise maybe once per year so when we do it we want a balcony at the very least now. Even for the limited time we're in there we prefer to have access to the open air and sounds and views of the ocean. One of our favourite things is morning coffees on the balconies.....there's nothing much more peaceful than that. 

Pretty sure if we had an interior on our first cruise it would have been our last as well. 

5 hours ago, FirstCruise2331 said:

Some of the answers on here are clearly from people who have no concept that not everyone has the same spending power as them! I have been on 5 cruises, 3 interiors and 2 ocean views and have a Central Park Balcony in 2 weeks on Harmony. For me a cruise in an interior cabin sure beats no cruise at all! 

Of course having a window (or balcony) is better than having no natural light. How much this effects your experience is going to be down to how much time you spend in the cabin and whether you are a negative nellie or someone with a positive mindset. Primarily for us the cabin is just to sleep and shower in. We see plenty of the sea on deck or  from the many windows on board (not so much the latter on Oasis class). 

If money was no object then everyone would be in a suite!  if your price point only allows interior you can still have a brilliant cruise. Ive never had a bad cruise! 

The cost is irrelevant to us, it’s the value of the product that is the deciding factor. we tried suites a few times, at really good prices (pre pandemic) and enjoyed it. We don’t think the current product, at the current pricing would give us the bang for the buck we desire. If, and when we decide to resume cruising, it would be in a balcony.

Its interesting, it definitely seems there is a preference for balconies and interior vs oceans. Personally as a solo i don’t think the best thing for me is to be cloistered in a balcony and cost is a bigger concern for a solo. However if i ever go on celebrity i believe they have virtual balconies for solos and that i may try.

Reading about all the great times some cruisers have had sailing in inside cabins I sometimes will think to myself that perhaps I should try an inside cabin, at least once.

Then I rewatch that 1979 Clit Eastwood film, Escape from Alcatraz, and it cures me of such thoughts. 😉 😁

Alcatraz Escape — FBI

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1