Cruising Ducks - Yes or No ?

wowzz

On 4/17/2023 at 8:42 AM, Selbourne said:

I agree with everyone that, unless it was a sort of treasure hunt organised by the on board kids club team, it falls firmly under the ‘tasteless tat’ category and is frankly littering which I shouldn’t think impresses the ships crew, but can somebody please tell me why somebody would do this? I am struggling to understand what the point of it would be. 

+1

• Like 3

I'm ready to duck under the parapet for this one (geddit 😂)  BUT...

Okay you might not like the idea of people hiding ducks on board the ship but does it *really* matter?  Can't you just turn a blind eye to it if you don't like it?  If some people want to have what they perceive as a bit of fun why can't they? Why on earth does something so relatively harmless bother everyone so much??  And why pick them up if you're not interested, why not leave them wherever they are for someone who is?   Personally I would rather people hid some ducks on board than got raucously inebriated or blew cigarette smoke in my face, or were loud and  rude...

I am quite taken aback by this negativity and judgement. Surely there are worse things to complain about that actually impact you?

Edited by Merry25
Typo
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Merry25 said:

Surely there are worse things to complain about that actually impact you?

Like me .I can’t take my dog to the park as all the ducks keep trying to bite him...

My fault for getting one that’s pure bread I suppose .🙃

• Haha 11

Merry25 - no, of course it does not matter; in my case it was just astonishment  that anyone would want to do this.  I think everyone on here who thinks it is pretty silly was also surprised that it happens.  I obviously don't get out enough.  I  also find it odd that people like to put things up on their cabin doors, but I know that is quite popular, including on P and O.  So just put me down as a stuffy old person, I don't mind.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Merry25 said:

I'm ready to duck under the parapet for this one (geddit 😂)  BUT...

Okay you might not like the idea of people hiding ducks on board the ship but does it *really* matter?  Can't you just turn a blind eye to it if you don't like it?  If some people want to have what they perceive as a bit of fun why can't they? Why on earth does something so relatively harmless bother everyone so much??  And why pick them up if you're not interested, why not leave them wherever they are for someone who is?   Personally I would rather people hid some ducks on board than got raucously inebriated or blew cigarette smoke in my face, or were loud and  rude...

I am quite taken aback by this negativity and judgement. Surely there are worse things to complain about that actually impact you?

I just find it strange that a grown adult is prepared to buy 100 tatty plastc ducks, wrap them individually in environmentally unfriendly plastic bags, carry them half way round the world, and then spend time hiding them !

• Like 20

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Merry25 - no, of course it does not matter; in my case it was just astonishment  that anyone would want to do this.  I think everyone on here who thinks it is pretty silly was also surprised that it happens.  I obviously don't get out enough.  I  also find it odd that people like to put things up on their cabin doors, but I know that is quite popular, including on P and O.  So just put me down as a stuffy old person, I don't mind.

I refuse to get my feather ruffled over a duck ,it just quackers ! 

If I ever find one I'm taking it home and it's going straight in the microwave to see if 

it's Bill Withers ,and 🎵Just The Two Of Us 🎵 will be there to see it .🙂

• Haha 9

OK so people think it can be good on a ship with children.  I can see that some sort of treasure hunt with a reward could be worthwhile for kids, but are ducks really the right things to use though?  My child like mind thinks "What would I do if I find a duck" - see how it floats sounds a great idea, so throwing it overboard and watching how it copes in the sea, could well be my next action - considering I would not be aware of all the environmental knowledge around now and I doubt many really young children are.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I just find it strange that a grown adult is prepared to buy 100 tatty plastc ducks, wrap them individually in environmentally unfriendly plastic bags, carry them half way round the world, and then spend time hiding them !

That;s exactly how I feel.  It beggars belief, particularly on an Adult Only ship.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

That;s exactly how I feel.  It beggars belief, particularly on an Adult Only ship.

Not impossible for children to be on an adult only ship, we saw a child on Aurora once, she belonged to the captain and his wife.

7 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Not impossible for children to be on an adult only ship, we saw a child on Aurora once, she belonged to the captain and his wife.

So, why not give the child the duck and get it over and done with ? Why hide dozens of ducks on the off chance there might be a single child on board ?

• Like 3

On 4/17/2023 at 12:44 PM, jh1809 said:

I came across this for the first time on Aurora last autumn. I think they were woollen ducks, though I didn't pay much attention. It does seem a waste of time and effort - except for the outfits manufacturing and selling them, of course.

I thought Aurora was adult only, or were they grown up grumpy ducks. I bet they have more sophisticated ducks on Fred ,or Saga.🤣

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

This is the sort of thing we are talking about.

FB_IMG_1681827267574.jpg

Now yer talking . I'll have a look around Azura this evening. If I find one I'll release him from the plastic bag. Cruel if you ask me. Looks more like  Donald Trump than Donald Duck.🤔

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I thought Aurora was adult only, or were they grown up grumpy ducks. I bet they have more sophisticated ducks on Fred ,or Saga.🤣

I think the lady responsible - I know it was a lady as I happened to be on her table in the MDR for either breakfast or lunch on one occasion - may have been on her second childhood. 🙂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

So, why not give the child the duck and get it over and done with ? Why hide dozens of ducks on the off chance there might be a single child on board ?

Personally I couldn't careless whether the ducks are on a ship or not, I was just replying to Jean that it is possible to have the occasional child on an adult only ship.

I think that the whole idea of hiding ducks around the ship is a bit silly and I would just leave the ducks wherever they had been placed.

• Like 2