EQ or SIL?

Josie201

Similar Caribbean itinerary.  We've been on both, most recently the SIL in November 2021.  Haven't been on Equinox since its "update" a few years back.  Interested in feedback on which you would choose and why.  We did love the SIL, and the EQ when we sailed on her before.  I believe EQ still has Cellar Masters which we enjoy for the selections offered,  to pick up a glass and walk across to the Martini Bar.  EQ seems to be slightly cheaper ($50 per day)  for the SV we would be booking.    TIA   

We were on the Silhouette 3 times in a year (2 Caribbean, 1 Baltic).  Love her vibe and especially the spaces up top by the Sunset bar and open areas.  Our experiences were always positive from dining to cabin to crew friendliness.  You know you've cruised too often when the bar tender at the Passport Bar greats you first day with a smile and asks if you want your usual drink including special brand of liquor! We will be back on the Silhouette in August on an Iceland/Ireland/England cruise.

We also did one Caribbean on the Equinox last year.  She was also good and we had no issues.  No complaints from us.  The top deck had not been renovated like the Silhouette so seating was often hard to find.  She had more than twice the passengers then our first two Silhouette cruises so lines did tend to form and there were waits for elevators, but that is to be expected as ships begin to fill again. 

Whichever ship you choose.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josie201 said:

Similar Caribbean itinerary.  We've been on both, most recently the SIL in November 2021.  Haven't been on Equinox since its "update" a few years back.  Interested in feedback on which you would choose and why.  We did love the SIL, and the EQ when we sailed on her before.  I believe EQ still has Cellar Masters which we enjoy for the selections offered,  to pick up a glass and walk across to the Martini Bar.  EQ seems to be slightly cheaper ($50 per day)  for the SV we would be booking.    TIA   

Speaking only for myself,  I (we) always choose itinerary over the ship. 

• Like 4

If you choose Equinox, make sure you get a room that has been renovated.  Not all of the rooms received an update.  

I would go with Silhouette for the Lawn Club Grill and, in my opinion, a nicer decor around the ship.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, keesar said:

If you choose Equinox, make sure you get a room that has been renovated.  Not all of the rooms received an update.  

I would go with Silhouette for the Lawn Club Grill and, in my opinion, a nicer decor around the ship.

How do you know what staterooms have been renovated? 

Not a fan of Lawn Club Grill, but I  would take Sil if in a Retreat suite cabin for the full Retreat experience. Equinox  got the Michael's club update to Retreat Lounge and a partial, but incomplete, Retreat Sun Deck. However, if in an  Aqua cabin I would take Equinox, as there are many more Aqua cabins on Ref which were added to the deck plans when she was built. That could make Blu pretty crowded and noisy as compared to the Blu on Equinox.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, davekathy said:

How do you know what staterooms have been renovated? 

We were told that the Suites and Aqua Class were completely renovated.  That was not the case with all of the Veranda cabins.  If staying in a Veranda, I would check the reviews.  

6 minutes ago, keesar said:

We were told that the Suites and Aqua Class were completely renovated.  That was not the case with all of the Veranda cabins.  If staying in a Veranda, I would check the reviews.  

My understanding from Celebrity's revolution schedule the entire ship went thru the revolution upgrades, June 2019. 

We were on both ships recently. Silhouette's refurb was completed and veranda staterooms (at least; maybe all staterooms) were updated. On Equinox, they began replacing carpet on the lower floors in the public areas and then just stopped so you can literally see where they dropped everything because the different design aesthetics of old and new. And they did not update the dated veranda staterooms. Otherwise, very little difference. Some people love Lawn Club Grill. We had an awful dinner there and will never go back. MDR and buffet are virtually identical on both ships.  

2 hours ago, keesar said:

Not the suites I have been in on the last 3 cruises.  We were is SS twice and a RS and none were redone!  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Seems odd that the EQ went thru the revolution in 2019 and the SS and RS weren't updated. 

Odd as it may seem, our RS in September 2022 was not redone in the new decor (which is totally fine with me).  It was in very nice shape, though.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DCPIV said:

Odd as it may seem, our RS in September 2022 was not redone in the new decor (which is totally fine with me).  It was in very nice shape, though.

Thanks. Agree odd. I learn something new everyday on CC. 

57 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Seems odd that the EQ went thru the revolution in 2019 and the SS and RS weren't updated. 

The Equinox did not get fully revolutionized.  All they did was redo Michaels Club into Retreat Lounge and they did Retreat Deck.  Maybe a few other cosmetic updates but that was it   

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, davekathy said:

My understanding from Celebrity's revolution schedule the entire ship went thru the revolution upgrades, June 2019. 

This just isn't true for Equinox. Not sure where that information came from. It may have been originally scheduled to be refurbed in 2019, but it didn't happen. We were on the ship in 2021 in a veranda that had a new curtain by the sliders and new carpet but the furnishings and built-ins weren't touched. By contrast, the same veranda staterooms in Silhouette were fully overhauled. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2023 at 10:23 AM, Josie201 said:

EQ no longer has Cellar Masters.  Replaced with Craft Social.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

We were in a CS on EQ recently - it was not renovated.

Good to know. I was only going off Celebrity's pre covid original revolution schedule. 

58 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

The Equinox did not get fully revolutionized.  All they did was redo Michaels Club into Retreat Lounge and they did Retreat Deck.  Maybe a few other cosmetic updates but that was it   

Good to know. I was only going off Celebrity's pre covid original revolution schedule. 

55 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

This just isn't true for Equinox. Not sure where that information came from. It may have been originally scheduled to be refurbed in 2019, but it didn't happen. We were on the ship in 2021 in a veranda that had a new curtain by the sliders and new carpet but the furnishings and built-ins weren't touched. By contrast, the same veranda staterooms in Silhouette were fully overhauled. 

• Like 1

We love both ships, but we never encountered a more hard up-sell barrage than we did on our Silhouette cruises. That being said, our next cruise is booked on Silhouette. Both are great ships. We'd choose the one with the itinerary that we prefer, the best pricing, and the one we could get our preferred cabin location.

• Like 1