The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday April 20th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Another mystery solved.  Our Ontario Dailyite, @highscar, posted about 2 hours ago.

Lenda

Lenda, I had highscar on my list. I am hoping our missing Quebecer posts. We can’t seem to remember their handle! So still a mystery for now

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, superoma said:

Lenda, I had highscar on my list. I am hoping our missing Quebecer posts. We can’t seem to remember their handle! So still a mystery for now

I just deleted my post when I realized I was thinking about the wrong province.

Can I blame it on too much wine tonight?  I certainly don't want to bkame it on age.  🤣

Lenda

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

This is a very busy thread today, thanks for all the information.

Re Volunteers, DH still volunteers  one day each week, I retired from 3 voluntary  groups which Ihad been involved with for many years,before we moved from our previous home.

Just a note, Milford and the other sounds are in the Fiordland National Park.

@daisybertie good to see you posting again, we could do with some of your sunshine.

@JazzyV  wishing you safe travelling, and Bon Voyage.

Best wishes to everyone with health issues.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I just deleted my post when I realized I was thinking about the wrong province.

Can I blame it on too much wine tonight?  I certainly don't want to bkame it on age.  🤣

Lenda

Wine sounds like a good reason. I have been sleuthing since @rafinmdmentioned Quebec and I found @jodi58from Quebec but we haven’t heard from her in a while. So another province represented.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Captains noon hour report. The MS Eurodam has 47 cases of guest with Covid. Symptoms have been very mild but though not mandatory very suggestive to wear mask.

We did cancel our wine tasting for today which we were up in the air whether to do or not prior to announcement. We will elect to don mask when in public areas and movement around the ship.

The ships internet is so slow today. First time it’s been this bad during entire cruise.

Bruce

• Like 2

Mom and her DH were 2 of them. The ship left them for the hospital in Guatemala. Not all cases were mild. Though they are doing better now and may be released from the hospital tomorrow.
We are still working on getting them home. So far no help or word from Holland.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

13 minutes ago, jodiesme1 said:

Mom and her DH were 2 of them. The ship left them for the hospital in Guatemala. Not all cases were mild. Though they are doing better now and may be released from the hospital tomorrow.

I'm so sorry to hear this.  I'm glad they're doing better now though and hope they can go home soon.  Thanks for letting us know.

• Like 8

Greetings all. We’re still up north. It’s been a “long month” these last three days!  
Tuesday drive half day, went to cousin’s wake, then Kate supper with more cousins… fell into bed but couldn’t sleep. 

Wednesday began with church funeral, then cemetery then family luncheon then across the Hudson to try to herd up with 3 adult grandkids for a lite supper… kids work weird schedules so not all of us ate together.  
Today relocated to visit a retirement community we are considering…. we were treated to an excellent luncheon so I’ve skipped supper - have eaten too much these few days and experiencing reflux. 
Home drive tomorrow back to Maryland, hoping for a good space in the traffic!  It was a breeze coming north Tuesday but tomorrow is Friday, always dicey. 

Feeling the sadness lift some after seeing the grandkids. But the reality is that with 23 cousins, siblings(including spouses) with me being the youngest, there will be  more losses ahead. The longer we live the more people we lose. 
@JazzyV Have a fabulous trip!  Thanks so much for keeping us on the Care list and rotation… DH’s eyes have been stabilizing enough for him to help with the driving!  But still itching like mad at times. We’re managing. 

@grapau27 Graham, my hip felt better with the aqua exercises in the pool!  Orthopedic doc says that’s the best. The strength exercises I did with the bands were pretty tough, and not as beneficial. Not sure what the water resistance does but it helped me. Blessings for improvement!  

@dfish one step closer!  

@smitty34877 Of course you’re tired!  Hoping this procedure helps!  

@aliaschief Sorry to hear COVID is spreading. I did everything I could to not catch it on my last cruise but the day after I got off the ship it started. I was so mad!  Hang out in that luxurious suite and avoid people “like the plague!” Love the memes you post!  Life’s my spirit with a smile. Thank you, I needed that!  

@jodiesme1 That’s very upsetting about your mom and her DH being landed in Guatemala ill!  🙏for their recovery and return home!  

@rafinmd Glad you are making progress. Decisions about reality are tough but I’m happy you do have a couple of cruises coming up!  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope!  

Smooth travels to all away, and a Bon Voyage to all the cruisers!  

Before I close I will say that I learned a great deal in my 18 years as a volunteer EMT and Firefighter in our rural New Mexico fire department. It was a most rewarding part of my life. Honoring and thanking all volunteers!  I’m sure there’s a universal sense of receiving more than was given. 

Maureen 

Edited by RMLincoln
Added thoughts.
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jodiesme1 said:

Sorry to hear that about your Mom and her husband. Another case for having trip insurance. Hope all works out. Let us know.

• Like 10

Good evening.  We got a little rain, but not messurable.  We are under a thunderstorm warning for tonight.  I'm not holding my breath though.  My prediction is our heaviest rain will be tomorrow morning between 9 and 10. I have an appointment for a hair cut at 9:30.  😆

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I thought at some point we had someone from Quebec too but can;t be sure.

It's not much of a start but I did walk about 10 minutes today.  I still use a cane for most things out of the house and that;s a bit of a damper.

Roy

Roy, after what you have been through, 10 minutes is a good start.  Do what you can and safely work toward adding more time as your strength and stamina increase.

6 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Whew, just in from cutting the grass. It's 85 out, and fortunately cloudy now with a light breeze. It's still a chore. I had to stop about 2/3 of the way through for fluids, and my back was not happy. After a 15 minute break, I finished up. I really should look for someone to do the lawn, leaves and snow when I get back.

I also must be getting weaker, lol. My large suitcase that will be checked weighs 40 lbs, but feels much heavier. Interestingly, BFF said the same about his.

@dobiemom I'm glad to hear your good report. I can imagine that sleeping face down would be tough to do, even with the equipment that helps you adjust.

@aliaschief Sorry to hear about the Covid cases; that remains a concern for me. I plan to mask in the congregate areas, and in the airport and on the plane.

@durangoscots The end is in sight! Enjoy the extra time you'll have.

@cruising sister I should have gone elsewhere looking for the booster; I wanted to get it before this trip but I'll just have to hope for the best. And I too carry a pharmacy with me!

@sterling2 Welcome to the Daily and we hope to see you more often.

@rafinmd Yay! 10 minutes is better than no minutes. Just slow and steady progress.

@dfish It's good that you have a date for the adrenal surgery. Did the surgeon mention anything about needing steroids for a bit, as the other adrenal will have been suppressed by the excess cortisol?

Vanessa, lately our suitcases seem heavier too.  

5 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

We have returned from the GI doc who referred us to a surgeon. The office facilitated an appointment for us for next Thursday and hopefully DH can be on the schedule soon. This surgery ,although laparoscopic, includes an overnight stay.

I am so tired and I am not the patient!

The patient is a little nervous, as am I, but we have gotten through much worse before. 

Terry, I'm sorry your DH has to have surgery, even if it's laparoscopic.  Sometimes, I think it's harder on the caregiver since all we can to is be supportive and watch ou loved one going through so much while feeling helpless to affect the outcome.

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

My appliance guru said LG is the worst, followed closely by Samsung. 
Sadly these two have some great features. I have my eye on a Whirlpool.

When we replaced our refrigerator ten or so years ago, we looked at a Samsung until we learned that after a power failure, the unit returns to factory settings and the temperatures are above those recommended.  Until we moved here, we'd always had Whirlpool.  Because we liked the GE appliances in the Arizona house, we got a GE refrigerator and it's been good.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

In many ways, it saddens me to read that you may not cruise anymore after the two you have on the books.  But, I am happy that you are willing to make this decision and keeping the effects of your decisions on others in mind.  Maybe just do some Canada/New England cruises when you have the desire to be on a BHB.  This is a difficult decision that we will all face at some point.  You are truly a guiding light.

Roy, it also saddens me that you may give up cruising after your next two cruises, but I admire you for thinking about how your actions could affect others.  Hopefully, there will be shorter, easily accessible cruises in your future.

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Wine sounds like a good reason. I have been sleuthing since @rafinmdmentioned Quebec and I found @jodi58from Quebec but we haven’t heard from her in a while. So another province represented.

Wine might not be a good reason, but it's an enjoyable one.  😄 🍷

6 hours ago, dfish said:

So, which one did you sign up for?

Great news from your follow up visit.  I hope the sleeping arrangements settle out soon.

I loved traveling with my friend, Alice, a retired physician.  I knew I didn't have to bring any of that stuff along because she carried a pharmacy with her.  If not, she knew where to find it.

Get yourself some trekking poles and then you'll look trendy!  Carry a backpack for anything you pick up along the way.  I use the trekking poles.

Surgery for the adrenal tumor is scheduled for May 24th.  The surgeon said it needed to come out based on size alone.  However, mine is functional and is sending out excess cortisol making life miserable at times.  The only down side to this surgery is that it requires an overnight stay.  Cha-Ching!

Debbie, glad you have a date to have the adrenal tumor renoved.  I hope that solves the problem, and the other adrenal gland will function properly.

1 hour ago, jodiesme1 said:

I'm sorry your mom and her DH werec ick enough to need to be medically disembarked In Guatemala.  I'm glad they are doing better, and that they will be home soon.

1 hour ago, RMLincoln said:

Greetings all. We’re still up north. It’s been a “long month” these last three days!  
Tuesday drive half day, went to cousin’s wake, then Kate supper with more cousins… fell into bed but couldn’t sleep. 

Wednesday began with church funeral, then cemetery then family luncheon then across the Hudson to try to herd up with 3 adult grandkids for a lite supper… kids work weird schedules so not all of us ate together.  
Today relocated to visit a retirement community we are considering…. we were treated to an excellent luncheon so I’ve skipped supper - have eaten too much these few days and experiencing reflux. 
Home drive tomorrow back to Maryland, hoping for a good space in the traffic!  It was a breeze coming north Tuesday but tomorrow is Friday, always dicey. 

Feeling the sadness lift some after seeing the grandkids. But the reality is that with 23 cousins, siblings(including spouses) with me being the youngest, there will be  more losses ahead. The longer we live the more people we lose. 
@JazzyV Have a fabulous trip!  Thanks so much for keeping us on the Care list and rotation… DH’s eyes have been stabilizing enough for him to help with the driving!  But still itching like mad at times. We’re managing. 

@grapau27 Graham, my hip felt better with the aqua exercises in the pool!  Orthopedic doc says that’s the best. The strength exercises I did with the bands were pretty tough, and not as beneficial. Not sure what the water resistance does but it helped me. Blessings for improvement!  

@dfish one step closer!  

@aliaschief Sorry to hear COVID is spreading. I did everything I could to not catch it on my last cruise but the day after I got off the ship it started. I was so mad!  Hang out in that luxurious suite and avoid people “like the plague!” Love the memes you post!  Life’s my spirit with a smile. Thank you, I needed that!  

@jodiesme1 That’s very upsetting about your mom and her DH being landed in Guatemala ill!  🙏for their recovery and return home!  

@rafinmd Glad you are making progress. Decisions about reality are tough but I’m happy you do have a couple of cruises coming up!  

Before I close I will say that I learned a great deal in my 18 years as a volunteer EMT and Firefighter in our rural New Mexico fire department. It was a most rewarding part of my life. Honoring and thanking all volunteers!  I’m sure there’s a universal sense of receiving more than was given. 

Maureen 

Maureen, safe travels home tomorrow.  I'm glad your DH's eyes have improved enough that he can help with the driving.

Lenda 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

@dfish one step closer!  

Maureen 

Thank you Maureen.

5 years ago when I had hip physio I was given printed sheets of exercises but this time the therapist wrote some personalised exercises as she recommended the hip replacements.

Graham.

16820668730205777593345352143686.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Well all crew facing guest are masked but most guest have decided to toss the dice or many never listened to Captains noon hour report. Everyone received mask in their mail box should be a hint. If 47 are positive how many have some symptoms but are not requesting testing?

We are complying as when this cruise is over we will be sitting for grandchildren for a couple of weeks.

No one seems to take the request to mask up seriously, at least on the cruises we were on.  You are doing the right thing, and I agree - stay in your luxurious cabin and avoid their viruses.

7 hours ago, erewhon said:

This is a very busy thread today, thanks for all the information.

Re Volunteers, DH still volunteers  one day each week, I retired from 3 voluntary  groups which Ihad been involved with for many years,before we moved from our previous home.

Just a note, Milford and the other sounds are in the Fiordland National Park.

@daisybertie good to see you posting again, we could do with some of your sunshine.

@JazzyV  wishing you safe travelling, and Bon Voyage.

Best wishes to everyone with health issues.

Yes, as long as we were in the fjords, we were all in the Fiordland National Park, even without stepping foot on land.  Thanks for mentioning it.

7 hours ago, jodiesme1 said:

Oh no!  I hope they will be returned home soon.  No one wants to be in the hospital but especially out of the country.  Good luck and prayers for your parents.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you!  I always get salad in the Lido too, and dressing on the side.  Smart idea to watch out for the sauces.  Do you mind me asking how you improved your kidney function?  Mine was 3a, then last fall I was very sick with the flu for 2 weeks and became dehydrated.  That put me down into 3b, almost 4.  The doctor tweaked and discontinued some meds, told me to drink at least 64 oz of water/day, and watch sodium intake.  So far I've gotten it up now, almost back to 3a.

I do the same, limit sodium & since I'm never thirsty, remember to drink liquids. I try to keep daily sodium to under 2000mg. I read a lot of labels and use Dash diet recipes & low sodium recipes from online. As you noticed you do have to pay attention to any meds, OTC & prescribed, as well as tests & dental/medical procedures. If I have a question my Nephrologist will answer it and sometimes change a prescription a different doctor/dentist has given me. I have also learned if my friends or family want to go to a chain restaurant (I usually don't have a problem at mom & pops) to check their online nutrition guide. Some item's sodium content blows my mind! I am probably the only one in the group who knows exactly what I am ordering before I walk through the door.  It sounds like you are doing a good job, eventually it will just become second nature for you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lcubed said:

I do the same, limit sodium & since I'm never thirsty, remember to drink liquids. I try to keep daily sodium to under 2000mg. I read a lot of labels and use Dash diet recipes & low sodium recipes from online. As you noticed you do have to pay attention to any meds, OTC & prescribed, as well as tests & dental/medical procedures. If I have a question my Nephrologist will answer it and sometimes change a prescription a different doctor/dentist has given me. I have also learned if my friends or family want to go to a chain restaurant (I usually don't have a problem at mom & pops) to check their online nutrition guide. Some item's sodium content blows my mind! I am probably the only one in the group who knows exactly what I am ordering before I walk through the door.  It sounds like you are doing a good job, eventually it will just become second nature for you.

Thank you.  I am thankful that I was sent to see a Nephrologist as soon as it became apparent that things took a sudden downturn after being sick.  She changed another med I'm on (besides the changes my regular physician had made already).  So right about reading labels and yes, some will blow your mind!  

Thank you for your response. 🙂  

• Like 4