The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday April 21st, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is Kindergarten Day, National American Red Cross Giving Day, and San Jacinto Day

I argue thee that love is life. And life hath immortality. - Emily Dickinson

Meal Suggestion for today - Soy and Ginger Steamed Fish
Drink of the Day - Apples And Bourbon
Wine of the Day - Marchesi Antinori Solaia Toscana IGT, Tuscany, Italy 2014
Destination of the Day - Nuku Hiva Island, Taiohae, Marquesas French Polynesia

Eurodam

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera 08:00 - 15:00

Koningsdam

Honolulu, Oahu Island, Hawaii 08:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea destination Puerto Vallarta, Mexico eta 4-22 

Nieuw Statendam

Alicante, Spain 09:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Malaga, Spain Granada 08:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Oslo, Norway 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Cartagena, Colombia 07:00-13:00

Zaandam

at Sea Destination Boston, Massachusetts eta 4-22

Zuiderdam

Copenhagen, Denmark 08:00 - 18:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Hilo, Hawaii Island eta 4-22

Westerdam

Hakodate, Japan 07:00 - 18:00

image.thumb.png.e330a1e740485fe2a4b8afbd256e38b2.png

image.thumb.png.7f7b38ec2dcb2952a7a42026d6bf0d5e.png

Sandi for Rich

Edited by StLouisCruisers
change day of celebration
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.

It is 10.05am cloudy and 50°F here in North East England.

Grateful thanks extended to Sandi @StLouisCruisers to host and present today's daily fleet reports and Daily.

3 interesting days.

Good quote.

Delicious food.

I hope everyone on the care list is improving.

Wishing everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230421_100302.jpg

Screenshot_20230421_100245.jpg

Screenshot_20230421_100211.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 10

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC and the UK guy too.

A little known fact about Elvis Presley. He visited the port of the day Nuka Hiva many years ago. He was so impressed with the island that he feel in love with it and wrote a song about it. The main lyrics were, Nuka, Nuka, burning love, Nuka Nuka burning love.

The words were changed to protect the innocents.

• Like 6
  • Haha 20

Good morning friends!  I have 56F with a high of 79 expected and a mix of sun and clouds today.  Thanks to Rich @richwmn for this Fleet Report and Daily.  The weather there looks great, just a bit chilly but sunny.  Great day to walk around the city.

On the agenda today are Kindergarten Day, National American Red Cross Giving Day, and San Jacinto Day.  I don't have fond memories of my kindergarten days because twin and I had a wicked witch for a teacher.  After that grade I liked all my teachers.  I hope you all had a great time in Kindergarten.  At first I had National High Five Day posted but that was April 20 so I had to edit and change to National American Red Cross Giving Day.  Sorry Graham @grapau27!  I changed as quick as I realized it.  I should remember to double check first!  Thank you for your explanation of San Jacinto Day though.  And now is as good as any time to consider giving to the American Red Cross.  There are always disasters happening that they help out with.

Another Emily Dickinson quote.  So formal!   The meal of Soy and Ginger Steamed Fish doesn't appeal to me right now but I bet Debbie @dfish will show us some great recipes and pictures.  The drink is Apples and Bourbon and the wine an Italian wine from Tuscany.  I'm sure both are wonderful and give my thanks to Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports on them.  

Thank you in advance to Eva @superoma who is presenting her first Care and Celebration list later.  Prayers for all involved and let's hope things improve soon.  Special thoughts to those who lost their loved ones.  🙏  Cheers to everyone on the Celebration list, and to those cruising or heading to their ports.  Safe travels today Vanessa @JazzyV!!

Our port today is Taiohae, Nuku Hiva, in French Polynesia.  We had that port several times, on July 14, 2021 and July 24, 2022.  Links to those dates are below and I will repost my photos.  I hope you will post yours too because we can never get enough of a South Pacific island, can we?

We visited Nuku Hiva, French Polynesia on our 2017 Maasdam South Pacific cruise.  The Maasdam had a lot of problems with their tender operations on that cruise, taking up to 3 hours to get us all ashore due to using too few tenders or tender platform mechanical issues.  That day we lined up at a platform and were told we had to move to a forward platform and wait for a different tender.  Many unhappy passengers that day!  View from the ship at breakfast.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJrh5UxOETjfQbMb3h4O9v8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJwiq5MblWw6-HQKyAbVclz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Taiohae is a tiny village.  There were tours available using local 4 x 4's but not nearly enough to take a majority of the ship's passengers.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL_vAThvA26nMYt70cCwjv1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKyIV1Fw_Dr231HeSjhNOhz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIbfF4IK4y3btXopvSz_Pm7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This is a restaurant which had wi-fi but believe me not good enough to even load your email.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIflhnMhFOaY8kiLCgXvyfZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Entertainment for everyone.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2tugFBongYnro22bdLuO3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

A few of the trucks ready to take people on their tours.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLxjJ0BpfuH2ta9lGgYT-ON?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The remainder of the passengers decided to shop!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJCr7y7-KVlSO6wXMVkz0_w?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJg6xzSH09I68K9flws6Een?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Interesting carvings00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIMghOYVuZTd9GnyHEZmzfY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This was the food market00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKIMl1FIzcMRIcvoxzEogRO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

But what we enjoyed was the view from shore.  It is really a lovely area.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLVs5NcGmQbwr6MopS7o1QV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKeXwBH-Ygx1Bpt0RJZRo3D?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKawZ0PHfSA8eAX41JqbRax?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLmBNDr0LJ8MLS7wUUdzQAZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIvJnx78qL8k_eZHATbeySD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJhDaCvFwqw4uGrM4sfWNDJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

As we lined up to tender back to the ship we were met with these dancers.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJRv31qosrOOHUWftjYWRQv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

As we tendered away we saw this interesting scene on a hillside.  ((not real))00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKjrw16b8PFQzF5a6fgB6ij?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Hope you all have a great start to your weekend this Friday April 21st!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

It's feeling like spring again today - it's going to rain.  April showers bring May flowers.🙂

The Red Cross does a great job helping everyone, they are a charity I support.  I did not like kindergarten.   Graham, thank you for the explanation about San Jacinto Day.  I guess high fives to everyone.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I hope the wine is tasty.

Thanks for the pictures of today's port, I've never been there.

Prayers for everyone.  I hope there are lots of celebrations, no matter how small.

Have a wonderful Friday.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC and the UK guy too.

A little known fact about Elvis Presley. He visited the port of the day Nuka Hiva many years ago. He was so impressed with the island that he feel in love with it and wrote a song about it. The main lyrics were, Nuka, Nuka, burning love, Nuka Nuka burning love.

The words were changed to protect the innocents.

Thank you @RedneckBob.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230421_114238.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I have 56F with a high of 79 expected and a mix of sun and clouds today.  Thanks to Rich @richwmn for this Fleet Report and Daily.  The weather there looks great, just a bit chilly but sunny.  Great day to walk around the city.

On the agenda today are Kindergarten Day, National American Red Cross Giving Day, and San Jacinto Day.  I don't have fond memories of my kindergarten days because twin and I had a wicked witch for a teacher.  After that grade I liked all my teachers.  I hope you all had a great time in Kindergarten.  At first I had National High Five Day posted but that was April 20 so I had to edit and change to National American Red Cross Giving Day.  Sorry Graham @grapau27!  I changed as quick as I realized it.  I should remember to double check first!  Thank you for your explanation of San Jacinto Day though.  And now is as good as any time to consider giving to the American Red Cross.  There are always disasters happening that they help out with.

Another Emily Dickinson quote.  So formal!   The meal of Soy and Ginger Steamed Fish doesn't appeal to me right now but I bet Debbie @dfish will show us some great recipes and pictures.  The drink is Apples and Bourbon and the wine an Italian wine from Tuscany.  I'm sure both are wonderful and give my thanks to Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports on them.  

Thank you in advance to Eva @superoma who is presenting her first Care and Celebration list later.  Prayers for all involved and let's hope things improve soon.  Special thoughts to those who lost their loved ones.  🙏  Cheers to everyone on the Celebration list, and to those cruising or heading to their ports.  Safe travels today Vanessa @JazzyV!!

Our port today is Taiohae, Nuku Hiva, in French Polynesia.  We had that port several times, on July 14, 2021 and July 24, 2022.  Links to those dates are below and I will repost my photos.  I hope you will post yours too because we can never get enough of a South Pacific island, can we?

We visited Nuku Hiva, French Polynesia on our 2017 Maasdam South Pacific cruise.  The Maasdam had a lot of problems with their tender operations on that cruise, taking up to 3 hours to get us all ashore due to using too few tenders or tender platform mechanical issues.  That day we lined up at a platform and were told we had to move to a forward platform and wait for a different tender.  Many unhappy passengers that day!  View from the ship at breakfast.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJrh5UxOETjfQbMb3h4O9v8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJwiq5MblWw6-HQKyAbVclz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Taiohae is a tiny village.  There were tours available using local 4 x 4's but not nearly enough to take a majority of the ship's passengers.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL_vAThvA26nMYt70cCwjv1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKyIV1Fw_Dr231HeSjhNOhz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIbfF4IK4y3btXopvSz_Pm7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This is a restaurant which had wi-fi but believe me not good enough to even load your email.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIflhnMhFOaY8kiLCgXvyfZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Entertainment for everyone.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2tugFBongYnro22bdLuO3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

A few of the trucks ready to take people on their tours.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLxjJ0BpfuH2ta9lGgYT-ON?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The remainder of the passengers decided to shop!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJCr7y7-KVlSO6wXMVkz0_w?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJg6xzSH09I68K9flws6Een?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Interesting carvings00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIMghOYVuZTd9GnyHEZmzfY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This was the food market00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKIMl1FIzcMRIcvoxzEogRO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

But what we enjoyed was the view from shore.  It is really a lovely area.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLVs5NcGmQbwr6MopS7o1QV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKeXwBH-Ygx1Bpt0RJZRo3D?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKawZ0PHfSA8eAX41JqbRax?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLmBNDr0LJ8MLS7wUUdzQAZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIvJnx78qL8k_eZHATbeySD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJhDaCvFwqw4uGrM4sfWNDJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

As we lined up to tender back to the ship we were met with these dancers.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJRv31qosrOOHUWftjYWRQv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

As we tendered away we saw this interesting scene on a hillside.  ((not real))00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKjrw16b8PFQzF5a6fgB6ij?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Hope you all have a great start to your weekend this Friday April 21st!

Lovely photos Sandi.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday.  Safe travels Vanessa, and thank you Rich, Sandi, Eva, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I don;t remember a lot about Kindergarten but for me it was the first year of Kindergarten for the school district as well.    Thank you Granham for the history lesson, and I salute all the good work of the red cross.  I've been to Nuka Hiva once or twice.  Like the Dickinson quote but will skip the fish.  My alternative is Watermelon Carpaccio and Apple Cider Brined Pork Chop with Cherry-Raisin Chutney as served on MS Amsterdam April 21, 2014.

Off soon for a visit to Wegmans.

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks for the all the daily info and HAL fleet report. 

Bon Voyage 🚢 @JazzyV Vanessa!

Figuring out how to sleep comfortably has been a slow process. I’m a side sleeper, not a back or tummy sleeper. Well with the gas bubble in my eye  I need to sleep on my tummy.  🫤

The equipment comes with a crescent cushion for the face or 3 smaller pieces to use if you are wearing glasses (or have a hard eye shield). To me, the cushions are uncomfortable (as is the cushion the chair for my butt - it isn’t made to sit on for long periods of time). 

So I exchanged the face cushions for an airplane neck pillow. Viola! My face is comfy both in bed and with the chair. Next is to figure out how many pillows to place under my feet while in bed so my back doesn’t hurt. I tried one small pillow during my afternoon nap. Don’t know if I need a regular pillow (my feet might have slipped off). Tried two (old, flat) regular pillows. and it seemed to work. (Extra pillows are in the travel trailer and DH has it covered to protect it from the rain so it’s a pain to access.) I was “comfy” and slept 3.5 hours. I think that’s gonna be a good as it gets. 🤞🙏

For the chair, I was using an old (flat) pillow folded in half (couldn’t find my chair cushion) to use as a bit of extra padding. I just needed to raise the face support cradle since I was now sitting higher. DH found my chair cushion which is good since I used the pillow on the bed. Made some adjustments and I think I’m good. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List. Thank you all for caring and sharing. Stay safe and healthy everyone. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

April 21 care and celebration list

Roy recovering from pneumonia and working on getting stronger

Smitty34877’s DH’s GI surgery

Dobiemom’s sleeping issues

Mr. Boston’s brother’s death 4/16

RMLincoln’s cousin’s DH’s death

Grapau27 needing hip surgery for arthritis

Jodiesme1 mother and Her DH with Covid in Guatemala 

Too many shooting victims

Oklahoma tornado victims and others under tornado watch

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Status of St. Louis Sal(6/29/22) and JAM37 (6/20/22)

Status of irishjim (10/31/22)

Summer Slope’s friend with a brain injury

Bennybear’s test results

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy 

Luvteaching’s DH in rehab

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Celebrating international record store day

Rafinmd’s good report from the Oncologist, Podiatrist and Pulmonologist

Marshhawk getting COPD med samples

Vict0riann’s week in Ireland

CruzinTerri celebrating that contractor is done

Tana’s aide working diplomatically with her

Ottohand7 helping get Arbor Day samples ready

Dobiemom’s good report from after surgery checkup 

Welcome sterling2

Welcome lcubed

Jodi58 checking in from Quebec

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

Safe travels Cruzn Single

Wishing oceansaway a good cruise

Wishing jazzyv a good cruise and vacation in Germany 

2 Days for Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas 4/23 to 5/1)

9 days Lobsternight anniversary cruise and vow renewal (Nieuw Amsterdam 4/30 to 5/7)

Cruising

GTVCRUISER (NCL Jewel to 4/23), 

aliaschief & DWAliaschief (Eurodam to 4/28) 

Kplady (Grand Princess to 4/28), 

Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to 4/29), 

St Pete Cruiser (Noordam to 5/2), 

TiogaCruiser (Volendam to 5/2), 

Overhead Fred’s Anniversary cruise (Rotterdam to 5/6), AV8rix (Volendam to 5/6), 

Dismomx5 (Volendam to 5/6), 

USN59-79 (Westerdam to 5/7), 

Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12), 

Sharon in AZ (Volendam to 5/17) at sea

• Like 19
  • Thanks 20

Apples and Bourbon cocktail:

Ingredients
1 3/4 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1/2 part Aperol® Aperitif
3/4 parts Lemon Juice
1/2 part Thyme Honey
1 dash Maple Bitters
Apples Garnish
Thyme Sprig

Instructions
Infuse bourbon with apples. Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously. Strain over ice into a rocks glass. Garnish with thyme sprig and apple slice.

Screenshot 2023-04-21 at 7.34.21 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 16

Well, I posted the list. Unfortunately the formatting of titles didn't carry over from the iPad and I didn’t want to edit after I posted for fear of losing the whole thing. Will format in CC tomorrow! @rafinmd and @JazzyV I can now truly appreciate how much work the list can be. 

grey day with rain forecast here. Hope everyone has a good weekend

I meant to add if anyone has anything to add to the list just let me know. And I couldn’t resist adding international record store day as the newscaster last night said “many people think vinyl is final” so I thought we should celebrate the few record stores still around!

Edited by superoma
Add
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Good morning and happy Friday! Thank you for the Daily and Fleet Reports. Holding all on the care list in my thoughts. 

I work from home today. Teaching and supervising today. I threw up the PTZtv port cams on my television and I am listening to the sounds of the water. Very calming as I continue to cut down the days until my cruise (37). 

It is supposed to be a warm and somewhat sunny day so I will mow the grass in the yard. I plan to start clearing the garden beds to prepare for getting vegetables and herbs in. Then I have some plants to repot. Looking forward to being outdoors. 

The pictures all look wonderful. 

Wishing all a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 26

Thanks for our Friday Daily, Sandi.

Interesting collection of days - I think I will pass on two and celebrate Red Cross Giving day - a very worthwhile cause which I am happy to support.

Interesting quote by Dickinson.  The meal sounds good - looking forward to @dfish’s recipes. We were in Nuka Hiva but not the best day with the weather and no pics worthy to post.  We were told by a number of locals on the different islands that we were lucky enough to hit the worst weather in 50 years.  LOL.  You can plan all you want - but you can’t plan for weather 😉 

EBF68DA8-096A-4F96-A0E9-1BF16E22CDA6.jpeg.eee838e5248dbc54c1a435aa397badda.jpeg

And speaking of planning - I’ve sent off 2 emails to guides for 2 of our ports in 2024.  Good guides go fast and these are 2 ports where we definitely need them.

Busy day today - Relief - my plants arrived yesterday!  The bare roots are soaking in water and everything has to go in today.  It will be interesting to see how the elbow co-operates 🤞 It dam well better.  I just wish the weather were warmer - oh well.

3DAAD38D-1342-447A-B6EE-19A36814B742.jpeg.2e1b5541d719d73f93c06359fbc0917e.jpeg

Had a long talk with Ivan’s mother last night.  He will come here on a trial after my surgery and recovery (probably next weekend?), be seen by my vet, dog whisperer, and dogs’ 2nd Mother.  If all is good, he has a new home.  If not and if he is too despondent with her absence and doesn’t come around, she will take him back.  I guess I knew I had reached a decision when I bought the leash I like yesterday 😉 

2FECE143-CFF4-4883-B433-8F5FDB802885.jpeg.8369a013ff280353e72c42c26c36f4f7.jpeg

@dobiemom Marcia - your attempt to get comfortable sounds difficult and a bit of an ordeal.  Good for you for working on it and having some success 👍 Wishing you a quick, more comfy recovery 🙏🏻 

@superomayou did a great job on the lists!  Don’t fret on the format - CC is weird.  I had to start using word press for the FCL as my word on my PC didn’t format at all once CC changed the forum.  Just in case this is of help -  I do find pages on my Ipad seems to work on shorter posts (haven’t tried a really long one) except bolding doesn’t carry over to CC and has to be done again once it’s pasted.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

B6D59FC7-726E-41FA-939D-90764CB61C34.jpeg.96897f7d133927c1af4f6d213918640b.jpeg

Have a great Friday everyone !!!

• Like 30
  • Haha 10

Thank you Sandi & Rich for today’s R & D! A gorgeous morning, but a crazy one for me. I took a look at the Whirlpool fridge I had my eye on, and the sales person sold me on it, when he offered to extend the sale that had just ended on the 19th for me. So I took the offer. It will be delivered somewhere between 9 & 1 today, so I just got back with bags of ice and need to start emptying the old one. My neighbors took all my highly perishable items, but I still have to get out lots.  Bindi is confused. 

Vanessa safe travels! Our lists are in good hands. 

3A1F9CAD-A7C2-47EA-87D5-21101B084D5E.jpeg.f4b3d4f2d97e22cd8c62456565bff459.jpeg

4A3C7391-53E7-4E79-A5BB-29005786F577.jpeg.fbd750b96150d3e810079dfb139d4063.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Marchesi Antinori Solaia Toscana IGT, Tuscany, Italy 2014

This Italian red sounds wonderful, but it is so far out of my price range, I could probably afford to just sniff the cork. It has lots of fans. And a decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $248.43. 

Winemaker Notes

Intense ruby red in color, this wine offers aromas rich in their concentration of red and black fruit (cherries and black cherries, raspberries, cassis, blueberries, and wild berry fruit) -- which, together with notes of vanilla, black pepper, and liquorice, compose a bouquet which is decisively ample and complex. The palate is exceptionally elegant and balanced, fresh in its flavors and with a lot of personality, solid and silky in its texture and tannins. The finish, characterized by notes of fruit and spices, is of great finesse and persistence.
RP95 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
The 2014 Solaia will be released during the second half of 2017. This is a fine-tuned expression that shows a focused sense of detail and careful attention. The quota of Cabernet Franc has been upped by a hair and this makes a big difference, especially in terms of the wine's bouquet. Otherwise, this celebrated Tuscan blend is mostly Cabernet Sauvignon with Sangiovese. It opens to dark fruit aromas with crushed mineral, pipe tobacco, pressed flower and toasted spice. Its appearance is midnight black and profound. The wine delivers a sense of sheer excitement and nervousness that will subside with another few years of bottle age. Nonetheless, I think a certain amount of that bright edginess or rigidness will always be part of this cool vintage Solaia. In the mouth, the wine is firm, compact and dense. The tannins are chiseled to the point of sublime integration. Marchesi Antinori made 40% less Solaia in this vintage in order to maintain the quality you taste here.
JS95 James Suckling
A dense and fruity red with chocolate, dark berry and cedar character. Full and chewy with a flavorful finish. This is extremely well done for the vintage. Needs two or three years to soften.
WE94 Wine Enthusiast
Fragrant and refined, this iconic wine offers alluring aromas of purple flower, exotic spice, wild berry and cassis. Smooth and elegant, the palate delivers blackberry, Marasca cherry, licorice, clove and a hint of chopped mint. It’s balanced by bright acidity and taut, polished tannins. Drink 2019–2029. 
Cellar Selection
W&S94 Wine & Spirits
Solaia delivers impressive concentration and balance in this challenging, rain-soaked vintage. Severe pruning and selection yielded a wine with flavors of black currant and tobacco laced with subtle spice and hints of cedar, a flavor profile dubbed “Bordeaux with an Italian accent” by one member of our tasting panel. Vibrant acidity and a graphite minerality lend a cool, nervy edge that will keep the wine fresh for many years to come.
WS93 Wine Spectator
This dark, deep expression of black cherry, blackberry, cedar and tobacco aromas and flavors is firm. Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese and Cabernet Franc. Best from 2020 through 2033.
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Interesting collection of days - I think I will pass on two and celebrate Red Cross Giving day - a very worthwhile cause which I am happy to support.

Interesting quote by Dickinson.  The meal sounds good - looking forward to @dfish’s recipes. We were in Nuka Hiva but not the best day with the weather and no pics worthy to post.  We were told by a number of locals on the different islands that we were lucky enough to hit the worst weather in 50 years.  LOL.  You can plan all you want - but you can’t plan for weather 😉 

And speaking of planning - I’ve sent off 2 emails to guides for 2 of our ports in 2024.  Good guides go fast and these are 2 ports where we definitely need them.

Busy day today - Relief - my plants arrived yesterday!  The bare roots are soaking in water and everything has to go in today.  It will be interesting to see how the elbow co-operates 🤞 It dam well better.  I just wish the weather were warmer - oh well.

Had a long talk with Ivan’s mother last night.  He will come here on a trial after my surgery and recovery (probably next weekend?), be seen by my vet, dog whisperer, and dogs’ 2nd Mother.  If all is good, he has a new home.  If not and if he is too despondent with her absence and doesn’t come around, she will take him back.  I guess I knew I had reached a decision when I bought the leash I like yesterday 😉 

@dobiemom Marcia - your attempt to get comfortable sounds difficult and a bit of an ordeal.  Good for you for working on it and having some success 👍 Wishing you a quick, more comfy recovery 🙏🏻 

@superomayou did a great job on the lists!  Don’t fret on the format - CC is weird.  I had to start using word press for the FCL as my word on my PC didn’t format at all once CC changed the forum.  Just in case this is of help -  I do find pages on my Ipad seems to work on shorter posts (haven’t tried a really long one) except bolding doesn’t carry over to CC and has to be done again once it’s pasted.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Thanks, @kazu for the info on formatting. And I know I could not have turned Ivan down if he came to my house! My DD has a labradoodle too and they would have been great playmates. I am dog sitting a Schitzu (sp) in early June and it will be tough sending him home when his owner comes back! Plus, he is called Rocky which was the name of my sweetheart of a miniature poodle.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, superoma said:

Well, I posted the list. Unfortunately the formatting of titles didn't carry over from the iPad and I didn’t want to edit after I posted for fear of losing the whole thing. Will format in CC tomorrow! @rafinmd and @JazzyV I can now truly appreciate how much work the list can be. 

grey day with rain forecast here. Hope everyone has a good weekend

You did a great job with the lists Eva!  It takes a little bit to get used to the job.  I only did the lists for about two weeks before I went on a cruise, and then Vanessa  @JazzyV took over for me.  I'm so grateful for everyone who helps here every day!

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

Great memes today!  Are those labradoodles in the picture?  Good luck with the trial run with Ivan!

• Like 25

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Great memes today!  Are those labradoodles in the picture?  Good luck with the trial run with Ivan!

Thanks - they look like labradoodles to me - either that or they are very strange poodles LOL.

• Like 16
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

And now is as good as any time to consider giving to the American Red Cross.  There are always disasters happening that they help out with.

TRUE! Many people are moved to donate money after disasters occur, but for the Red Cross and other organizations involved in disaster relief, it's important to have funds in hand so that a response doesn't have to wait for money to be raised.

But I don't think that today is American Red Cross Giving Day:

The ninth annual American Red Cross Giving Day is on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. Giving Day takes place in March during Red Cross Month, when we recognize the people who make our mission possible — volunteers, blood donors, people trained in lifesaving skills and our supporters — who step up to aid others when #HelpCantWait.

https://www.redcross.org/donations/ways-to-donate/giving-day.html

I also give blood. They've started informing blood donors about where their blood was used, which felt a bit creepy to me, but I think they want to assure donors that their blood wasn't sent outside the region. I learned yesterday that my March donation was used at Rochester General.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Looks to be a warm day here in southeastern PA.  Will definitely get my walk in later today.  Prayers for all in need.

I will try to get the bulk of my packing done today, going for a pedicure and getting some groceries in for DH and DD for next week.  DS will also cover some days with his Dad.  My kids are very good at giving me a break from caretaking. 

We are a bit tired today because our Mets are on the west coast and games have not been starting until around 10 pm for the last few days.  Oh, what a tough life we lead!!

Best wishes for a great day.  Katherine 

• Like 30