QM2 Cancellation 23rd & 30th April

avalon1025

16 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

I usually try to work out details with companies lower ranks (while requesting higher and higher supervisors) and document that fully and when all else fails, I usually email corporate executives.  Most corporations have "executive" response teams that handle these types of things.  Those folks are usually more adept at seeing the "big picture".   Many times it's the subsequent customer service that fails miserably and is the focus of my complaints to executives.   When I have to involve executive response teams, here is where I usually get that contact info:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/carnival-cruise-lines/

Fine for USA... Not for UK

11 hours ago, stiej said:

We are scheduled to be on the may 26 NYC to Southampton primarily as transportation as I don't fly. We are scheduled to be on the June 3 ncl British isles. If they do end up cancelling the may 26, would our insurance reimburse us if we can't make that ncl because of that trip being cancelled?

Call your insurance company and ask. Policies vary, so they're the only ones who can give you a reliable answer. Does your insurance include cancel for any reason? 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Does she have them?  If so, then yes, especially if they are using the multiple engine scrubbers.

She does. In 2016.  4 scrubbers and exhaust gas filters. I remember when they were installed.  A few inside cabins on Deck 4 or 5 near the uptake casing became unusable due to the noise.  Not sure if that was ever resolved.  

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 11:51 AM, Host Hattie said:

That's a shame but probably inevitable, thank you for the update. 

On 4/23/2023 at 11:49 AM, lhsail said:

April 30th officially canceled. Emails have been sent. 

Some PAX have booked on the Royal April 30 to Rome.  Poor substitute of course but if you want to get to Europe I guess it works.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Some PAX have booked on the Royal April 30 to Rome.  Poor substitute of course but if you want to get to Europe I guess it works.

We have to be in Paris by the 8th to join a pre-river cruise tour. The Celebrity Reflection sailed on the 23rd ending in Barcelona on the 8th. Unfortunately, this all fell apart too late. We have secured airfare to Paris for next Tuesday and will spend a few days in the Loire Valley. Not a bad alternative. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eroller said:

She does. In 2016.  4 scrubbers and exhaust gas filters. I remember when they were installed.  A few inside cabins on Deck 4 or 5 near the uptake casing became unusable due to the noise.  Not sure if that was ever resolved.  

Well, that sounds like individual scrubbers, then, so unless they all failed, there should not be a major problem, just one that may need to pay for more fuel (run the gas turbine more often).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eroller said:

Around that time, I met someone who was in one of those cabins and she was very unhappy (kvetching in the launderette). There was a stretch of hallway about 8-10 cabins long where the vibration was noticeable. 

Well I know that we all on June 30th hope and pray we will not be effected.

68 days and still counting to enjoy her and all she offers.

Keeping an open mind as I have personally experienced close to cancelled sailing twice on the QE2 in he past.

Once at sea with any engine problem and the 92 Cape Cod incident with a grounding. 

The engine problem resolved in several hours with some inconveniences during the day.

And the Cape Cod incident, we were saved when she started to sail two voyages before ours.

So close calls.

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 2

Another message from Cunard representatives on the messaging platform that shall not be named. This was posted 3 hours ago.

Google translates this as:

"author

Cunard

Due to necessary technical work being carried out on the Queen Mary 2 in Southampton this week, the M310/A voyages to New York and the M311/A voyages from New York unfortunately had to be cancelled. Other trips are not affected."

image.png.e23a1ea226b1a39ada0a707461c987a4.png

I'm still hedging my bets and have alternate air/hotel arrangement in case this turns out to be a longer term problem. I've been burned once already by Carnival this year (see Signature). 

• Like 3

I hope Cunard have learnt the lesson from Covid. When even though it was clear to world and it's dog that something was drastically wrong when QM2 didn't  leave Fremantle. Cunard kept on telling me its OK, it will arrive in Capetown , no need to book alternative arrangements. Glad I booked flights. So I'll believe QM2 is back in action when we see it leave with passengers on board.

• Thanks 1

You can’t compare this to COVID forced cancellations.    No company in the world knew how to deal with a global pandemic.   We didn’t know how countries were closing down, where airlines and ships would be allowed to travel and all of this changing every day if not minute.   Canceling voyages because of technical issues happens and there is a course of action that will be taken.   Everyone will be unhappy and disappointed but it is not an unheard of event.

• Like 5

On 4/23/2023 at 11:08 PM, safarigal said:

For those of us on Queen Mary 2 trying to get back to the US, we have filled out a form stating our preferences for flights home and we are waiting to hear back. Meanwhile on board it is almost surreal as nothing seems to have changed - the musicians play, the entertainment continues, so all in all we are having a good, if not uncertain time. This evening we received a typical Daily Program for tomorrow, but no mention of when our flights home will be. It's a gala night tomorrow - black and white, and the insight speakers sound great, so I hope we will still be on board. Interesting times 🙂

Sounds like the sinking of the Titanic.  The bands played until the very end.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There was a post about 7 hours ago that was entered by Cunardline on the same public social media system that Mercruiser quoted from - which said in answer to a customer question, "currently the only impacted sailings are M310, M310A, M311 & M311A. All impacted guests will be contacted directly of any necessary changes." - so this is more or less the same information as Mercruiser posted - with the additional word 'currently'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cagefreewill said:

Sounds like the sinking of the Titanic.  The bands played until the very end.  

Okay for the record the band continuing to play (if that's not an apocryphal story) was not frivolous or pointless - keeping everyone as calm as possible was and is absolutely vital in emergencies and doing so saves lives.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Does she have them?  If so, then yes, especially if they are using the multiple engine scrubbers.

Here is an article on the scrubber installation in 2016:

https://shipandbunker.com/news/world/494161-flagship-cunard-cruise-ship-relaunched-after-scrubber-installations?fbclid=IwAR0nn_V6y1C8phY5i5bR_vjYD4HeYj0HOasiH7vQMnqxLNDLJHzhATm6_vA

Edited by Mercruiser

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Thanks for your update @safarigal, has there been any more news on what the problem is and how long repairs might take?

All the information I am getting on board is from the guest relations folks - so I am not sure how accurate it really is. There is certainly work going on with the funnel, and Stephen Payne told me there was a problem with one of the diesel engines, but how long the fix will take has not been shared with us. I do hope that the ship will be back in action by May 7th.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

FWIW: I was poking around the roll calls for the affected crossings, and one poster said, "So actually spoke to a passenger that was sailing from Australia on the World Voyage and apparently the captain made an announcement a week and half ago that one of the engines was out but that there was no port between the coast of Africa and Southampton with the facilities to repair the engine.  The plan was then to get to Southampton ASAP and 'hope to get the repair done.'"  

Fingers crossed it can be fixed with time to do any other needed repairs and she will be back to sailing soon.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, safarigal said:

All the information I am getting on board is from the guest relations folks - so I am not sure how accurate it really is. There is certainly work going on with the funnel, and Stephen Payne told me there was a problem with one of the diesel engines, but how long the fix will take has not been shared with us. I do hope that the ship will be back in action by May 7th.

From your wonderful blog/diary, it looks like Cunard is taking very good of you guys onboard. 

Very strange- yesterday all May sailings disappeared from the website of my TA, which name, of course will not be named. Today they have 3 short trips from Soto to Hamburg and visa verse and the Fjord Voyage starting at 9.5. !

We´ll have to wait and see.