Just Curious. How Many Times........

Ret MP

8 hours ago, sgmn said:

Maybe out of Florida (and some other USA ports). 

I like a beach day but prefer to explore countries, cities, regions.  Most of our cruises have been in Europe or cool weather cruising like Alaska,  Canada or Norwegian Fjords. 

Our first visit to Coco Cay will be later this year, looking forward to it. 

Respectfully, cruising is a very poor way to explore countries and cities.  Particularly in Europe.  Yes it is an easy way to do it, but you do t really get to see

or experience much at any given place. 
The are a few exceptions (such as right ver cruising), but cruising is simply not ever going to be anything more

than a way to scout out a city you might want to explore more by visiting later via land based trip.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, topnole said:

Respectfully, cruising is a very poor way to explore countries and cities.  Particularly in Europe.  Yes it is an easy way to do it, but you do t really get to see

The are a few exceptions (such as right ver cruising), but cruising is simply not ever going to be anything more

than a way to scout out a city you might want to explore more by visiting later via land based trip.  

I'm far from an expert as I am not well-traveled at all but I feel this 100% applies to Alaska. My wife spent a year planning 10 days on land (with the aid of an outside company, not RC) before we cruised southbound from Seward to Vancouver.

Nothing against the cruise portion, it was very enjoyable, but it was the 10 days on land traveling all the way from Fairbanks to Seward (with several stops along the way) that was the highlight. Granted this made the trip far more expensive than just a cruise but it was well worth what was a special trip for us the cost magnitudes more than the numerous, relatively inexpensive cruises we have taken around the Caribbean (which we continue to enjoy).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I'm far from an expert as I am not well-traveled at all but I feel this 100% applies to Alaska. My wife spent a year planning 10 days on land (with the aid of an outside company, not RC) before we cruised southbound from Seward to Vancouver.

Nothing against the cruise portion, it was very enjoyable, but it was the 10 days on land traveling all the way from Fairbanks to Seward (with several stops along the way) that was the highlight. Granted this made the trip far more expensive than just a cruise but it was well worth what was a special trip for us the cost magnitudes more than the numerous, relatively inexpensive cruises we have taken around the Caribbean (which we continue to enjoy).

Agree.  Cruises have there place and of course the planning and travel is super easy relative to other forms

of travel (which makes them popular),

but to really explore and scratch the surface, you have to do land based trips.  I’m love cruising, but my land based

trips have always been far more special than any cruise.  Way more work and way more reward.   

My reply is not specific to Coco Cay.

In general, I see private islands as  a wasted day of the cruise.

My husband and I both grew up surrounded by water (ocean, sound, bay, lake) and we went to the beach to take a dip or fish, not to sun bathe.

Our usual private island day  is to have a leisurely breakfast while the stampeding horde trample each other to the gangway or tender. 

We then make our way ashore for a walk and may dip our toes in the water. Back on board for a nice lunch in air conditioned comfort while gazing out at the water.

We enjoy the somewhat empty ship for the rest of the beach stay.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 3

I have not been to Coco Cay yet.  I will visit in August.  

RCL is going to have another private island in Bahamas so it seems people do like to go.  If they don't, they won't book a cruise to Coco Cay.  I wish the cruise to CC would skip Nassau.  I don't have much interest in that place.  

Part of RC business plan is to get as much of the guest money as possible. Private islands are a great way of doing it.  

Another way in their business model is new private Beach Clubs in Nassau and Antigua. Antigua’s was announced prior to Covid so I’m not sure where that stands to date and I didn’t find anything current on-line. Nassau is to open in 2025, according to a blog. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

3 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Not sure about others, but I love to cruise because along with the vacation pluses such as I don’t have to cook or clean… I LOVE THE OCEAN.

I grew up living near the Atlantic and we were at the beach as much as we could be. When on a ship, you won’t find me by the pool, I’ll be on my balcony listening to and watching the waves. The ocean is so powerful and beautiful, and it makes its own music. When we cruise I’m NOT happy when one of our stops ISN’T CC or Labadee, where you’ll find me with my toes in the sand.

But of course I also love the fact that I can see the other parts of the world from my traveling hotel on the water too 😉

We don't talk about this much here at CC but this is it for me too. The ocean is why I cruise. I walk the ship and see what's going on, but my favorite activity is watching the sea. I've never once sat in one of those coveted loungers by the pool. At Coco Cay, if I'm not in the water I'm in the shade, but I just find it all very relaxing. 

• Like 9

I enjoy the days at the private islands because I can get off if I want, or stay on if I want, and my sea pass works either way!  My upcoming cruises are for relaxing and not doing, so I'm content to find a place with my kindle and walk around, and if that doesn't work, head back to the ship.  Time away from routine with my husband is all I'm after.  Our Mariner cruise this fall is going to both islands and Jamaica - the private islands are the only ones we may get off the ship for.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Our Mariner cruise this fall is going to both islands and Jamaica - the private islands are the only ones we may get off the ship for.  

We haven't been to Labadee in forever and I was looking for an itinerary like that but they don't seem to fit our schedule unfortunately. Enjoy!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

We don't talk about this much here at CC but this is it for me too. The ocean is why I cruise. I walk the ship and see what's going on, but my favorite activity is watching the sea. I've never once sat in one of those coveted loungers by the pool. At Coco Cay, if I'm not in the water I'm in the shade, but I just find it all very relaxing. 

Same…. Mostly just on a lounger, under an umbrella, toes in the sand on CC

2 hours ago, alfaeric said:

For many of the itineraries, CocoCay replaces Nassau. And give how popular Nassau is on this board…..

For many of the Florida cruises, especially the under 7 nights, BOTH of those are on the itinerary. Often, those 2 ARE the itinerary 😭. I think I preferred Coco Cay when it was pretty much undeveloped, but of course back then on the likes of Majesty and Sovereign there was usually just the one ship in port, and only 2000 passengers. And RCI had ship directed activities on the island. Personally I have no use for the waterpark, cabanas and such, but the big pool can be fun if it is actually warm enough to use.

• Like 1

Havent been to Coco Cay yet but hope to eventually.  We havent cruised alot but have cruised the Med twice, Hawaii, New England in addition to the Caribbean.   Our next sailing is with family who didnt want to do a private island so we are taking Celebrity instead of Royal.

Edited by Crazy planning mom

39 minutes ago, George C said:

We stopped there once and just stayed on the ship , really disappointed that they didn’t add a suite beach like ladabee. 

While I love CC and the Suite Beach in Labadee, we also really loved the Adult only area on Disneys Castaway Cay.  The buffet there was way better than the family area.

I think Royal is adding one to CC too?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, topnole said:

Shore excursions always seem to turn into an anxious rush to get back to the ship on time.

Once we took an "on your own" excursion from St. Thomas to St. John and although we had an awesome day at the beach, getting to and from was exhausting and DW said "never again I'm staying on the ship next time."

The private islands are convenient, safe, and relaxing, which is exactly what I want on a cruise vacation.

• Like 2

Well, people who are not beach fans probably do not understand. 

Going to the beach means lugging a tent, umbrella, towels and mats and setting them all up. You have to bring a cooler with drinks and lunch, or walk up to the boardwalk to buy some pizza.  All fun, but involves a bit of labor. There are some beaches that forbid all alcohol.

Going to a private cruise island is like going to a hotel resort---everything is taken care of and ready and waiting. Food is plentiful and paid for! Drinks are everywhere and permitted.

Yes, I love to lie in the sun, and DH will snorkle, and scuba. The Caribbean has some of the warmest and clearest water in the world.

We love those lazy, relaxing days.  Hopefully we will never tire of that wonderful experience!

• Like 3

I don't consider myself a one-and-done visitor to most ports of call, but definitely to the private islands. They are what Disney might envision a Caribbean island to be. They aren't real. The only one I've visited was Labadee and it was a long time ago before all the amusement park add-ons. It was pretty, and I'm glad I saw it. But I have absolutely no desire to return.

These so-called private islands are nice beach resorts, but not remotely as interesting as visiting a REAL place with REAL locals. Before I travel, I always look up interesting facts or historical events about the place I'll be visiting. Can't exactly do that with a Royal Caribbean beach resort.

I'll be visiting Cozumel again in February. I took a long break from western Caribbean itineraries, so it's been a long time and I'm doing something completely different this time. I'll see parts of Cozumel I haven't seen before, so I'm looking forward to it. But I 100% understand not wanting to return to a private island a second time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, George C said:

We stopped there once and just stayed on the ship , really disappointed that they didn’t add a suite beach like ladabee. 

56 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

While I love CC and the Suite Beach in Labadee, we also really loved the Adult only area on Disneys Castaway Cay.  The buffet there was way better than the family area.

I think Royal is adding one to CC too?

Do you mean Royal is adding the adult area?  I doubt they will add a suite area, and suspect one day (sadly sooner than later), that Barefoot Beach will be a paid venue like Coco Beach Club. 

M

1 minute ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Do you mean Royal is adding the adult area?  I doubt they will add a suite area, and suspect one day (sadly sooner than later), that Barefoot Beach will be a paid venue like Coco Beach Club. 

M

It will probably happen right around the time that suites get moved to once a day cabin sevice.😆

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ret MP said:

How many times will you visit CoCoCay before you get tired of it?  Looking at the upcoming itineraries, ALMOST every embarkation from Florida and in the future, Galveston is making a stop at CoCoCay. 

I'm in the one-and-done camp unless we have our grandkids with us.  I got burned out on Cuzomel after about 5 or 6 consecutive cruises stopping there.  

So, put me in the "Been there, Done That, Not Gonna Do It Again" column, if I can help it.  

NOTE:  I'm only looking for your opinion/desire.  It is your opinion/desire and I'm not trying to change that.  I'm also trying to get a feel as to why they've (RCCL) invested so much of their cruiser's time into CoCoCay.  

We've never been. We aren't private island people so we look and try not to book itineraries that have a stop at their private island. Been to Labadee a couple of times, but the rest of the itinerary

made up for it. Unfortunately our March 2024 Princess cruise stops at Princess Cays. We'll get off the ship, maybe a snack and a drink and back on the ship.  

• Like 2