A FEW ships heading to Europe

Royal_Cruise_Bear

It has been like that for a while.  Part of the reason used to be that the new large ships couldn't go thru the Panama Canal although that is no longer true.

We were part of the flock that headed westward across the Atlantic last October.  That's the Caribbean-Europe flock.  There is a similar, but smaller migration of ships across the Pacific as well (Alaska-Asia/Australia flock).  Same pattern, too--head east for the summer and west for the winter. 

As a result, Celebrity only does one Panama Canal crossing in the spring and fall.  There used to be more when there was a larger Caribbean-Alaska flock (the older ships that are no longer with us).

• Thanks 2

On 4/25/2023 at 7:31 AM, mahdnc said:

It has been like that for a while.  Part of the reason used to be that the new large ships couldn't go thru the Panama Canal although that is no longer true.

We were part of the flock that headed westward across the Atlantic last October.  That's the Caribbean-Europe flock.  There is a similar, but smaller migration of ships across the Pacific as well (Alaska-Asia/Australia flock).  Same pattern, too--head east for the summer and west for the winter. 

As a result, Celebrity only does one Panama Canal crossing in the spring and fall.  There used to be more when there was a larger Caribbean-Alaska flock (the older ships that are no longer with us).

What you may See on a TA crossing is the simi submersible open deck Yacht Transport Ships Loaded with rich folks Toys being relocated from Florida to the Med. for the Summer!

The ones that Stay in the Med are cocooned in shrink wrapped White Plastic so the crew isn't needed. Looks like the inside of an old English Manor House with the furniture covered in white sheets?

On 4/25/2023 at 12:08 PM, Royal_Cruise_Bear said:

It looks a little bit like migratory birds on their way for summer.  😎🏖️

Yes, they return every season to the seas where they were born.

• Haha 3

Couple days ago --  Beyond caught up to us on Apex as they had a medical evacuation in Bermuda.  When i first looked, I thought geezer are there any ships left in Caribbean.    From a friend joining Summit today she assured me one was there.

2023-04-25_18-00-42.jpg

Edited by Jim_Iain

15 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Once Summitt repo’s to NJ, it’s just the lonely Equinox left.😞😞😞

mac_tlc

Thankfully, we sail her in September. Totally don’t get why Mediterranean cruises are so popular. Each to their own I know but for us as an English family, week in Orlando or Fort Lauderdale followed by the Caribbean is heaven. France, Spain, Italy and the UK, no thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Thankfully, we sail her in September. Totally don’t get why Mediterranean cruises are so popular. Each to their own I know but for us as an English family, week in Orlando or Fort Lauderdale followed by the Caribbean is heaven. France, Spain, Italy and the UK, no thanks.

I wish Celebrity left more than one ship in the Caribbean from May - Oct. I’d love to see one in Port Canaveral. 

mac_tlc

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I wish Celebrity left more than one ship in the Caribbean from May - Oct. I’d love to see one in Port Canaveral. 

mac_tlc

Learnt recently that Celebrity used to have none to the Caribbean in the summer. Think it was only 2015 it changed and they started to sail in the summer - don’t quote me on that - it could be 2018 - someone told me on here 🤔. Terrible memory

17 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Learnt recently that Celebrity used to have none to the Caribbean in the summer. Think it was only 2015 it changed and they started to sail in the summer - don’t quote me on that - it could be 2018 - someone told me on here 🤔. Terrible memory

When the Solstice came out, it did a stint in the Caribbean year round. We sailed her in April 2010 and August 2010. Then there was a gap until more recently. 

At least they have committed to have one ship year round. Reflection takes the Equinox's place next summer.

Just now, mac_tlc said:

When the Solstice came out, it did a stint in the Caribbean year round. We sailed her in April 2010 and August 2010. Then there was a gap until more recently. 

At least they have committed to have one ship year round. Reflection takes the Equinox's place next summer.

Yep. We have cruised 4 times ever, each on the Equinox. And again in September. So disappointed she will be in Europe next year. 

48 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

mac_tlc

Sounds like a new cruise terminal in the works for Canaveral - just hoping it is Celebrity!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

mac_tlc

With the current price of airfares, it may be something Celebrity is considering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Yep. We have cruised 4 times ever, each on the Equinox. And again in September. So disappointed she will be in Europe next year. 

Never understood the fascination with cruising the Caribbean. It’s the last place I would cruise

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Never understood the fascination with cruising the Caribbean. It’s the last place I would cruise

I love Europe; have not been in the Caribbean for decades, but December 1, I have a 10 day southern Caribbean on Beyond.  Also, I am currently on her at the moment; we could not dock in Azores due to bad weather!

11 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I love Europe; have not been in the Caribbean for decades, but December 1, I have a 10 day southern Caribbean on Beyond.  Also, I am currently on her at the moment; we could not dock in Azores due to bad weather!

We are just south of you on the Reflection, it is nice today 

we on our way to Cadiz

IMG_2982.thumb.jpeg.67fa416ca083cf42a8587cf6d18bf722.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I understand your feeling as after awhile each island pretty much morphs into another until you get down to the ABC's     As much as we cruise I still like the Carib on occasions and Iain makes me book one ship a year that stops in USVI. 

USVI has a special treaty with the U.S. and you can bring back 5X the customs limits.   2X5 = 10 Cartons of Cigarettes that lasts him almost a year but picks up more on ships during the year.  False economics whey you pay $12,000 on a cruise to save a couple hundred bucks.

A cruise to anywhere is better than no cruise.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We are just south of you on the Reflection, it is nice today 

we on our way to Cadiz

IMG_2982.thumb.jpeg.67fa416ca083cf42a8587cf6d18bf722.jpeg

Lucky you with the sun.  We had to divert to Bermuda, then the rain came and only stops once in a while.  Our friends are with you!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Not everyone can afford the cost or the time to do TA’s, TP’s or European cruises all the time. Flying is a big deal for some. 

Good to have choices so everyone can do themselves.

mac_tlc

• Like 2

we prefer cruising the Carib. Easy to plan and  get there... Cruises are relaxing  and convenient to East Coast US and esp Fla.  . Some ports have interesting architecture, museums  great snorkeling  and natural wonders...never boring for us.

I think Reflection will be a great option for families for summer Carib trips... but hurricanes and the hot/rainy season are factors to consider..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Each to their own. We love it. Sun, places we’ve never been to, where do you recommend?

Edited by C4HCG

On 4/30/2023 at 12:45 PM, Lastdance said:

Lucky you with the sun.  We had to divert to Bermuda, then the rain came and only stops once in a while.  Our friends are with you!!!

I really feel sorry about your bad luck with the rain and missing Ponta Delgada! 😣

At all:  To the topic caribbean or not: since we live in Middle-Europe, Caribbean sounds like heaven to us and we are eagerly looking foreward to do a Caribbean Cruise this year! 😎🏖️ 

I think, it's always this part of the world, where you don't live. 😉 And as there are not so much "X-Options", we will do it on a Royal-ship. Do you think, this is not an option? (I know, this is the Celebrity forum, but 🫠)

5 hours ago, Royal_Cruise_Bear said:

I really feel sorry about your bad luck with the rain and missing Ponta Delgada! 😣

At all:  To the topic caribbean or not: since we live in Middle-Europe, Caribbean sounds like heaven to us and we are eagerly looking foreward to do a Caribbean Cruise this year! 😎🏖️ 

I think, it's always this part of the world, where you don't live. 😉 And as there are not so much "X-Options", we will do it on a Royal-ship. Do you think, this is not an option? (I know, this is the Celebrity forum, but 🫠)

Europe is more exciting to cruise than the Caribbean.  But in the winter, the Caribbean is closer, cheaper and warmer than Europe and my wife likes to dive.   So we dive.

image.thumb.jpeg.c8d1e5535342b847e7ea7dba5a1c0901.jpeg

On 4/30/2023 at 9:37 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

To get away from the cold dreary winter temperatures.

• Like 1