If you like Infinite balconies, why?

AliceS

4 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I just don’t see all that much value in any ship’s loyalty programs..free laundry?  A drink or two?  Big deal. 

Depends on your drinking habits and internet requirements. We dont drink alcohol and have no need of unlimited WiFi. Elite Plus gives us: free speciality teas/coffees/chocolate, juices from 5 to 7 pm, free water - collect from 5 to 7 pm,  240 minutes each of premium WiFi, 2 bags each laundry plus some pressing and dry cleaning. Great value now we can again book Sail Only rates.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Unfortunately there are not always plenty of balcony ships in certain areas if you want to stick with Celebrity.  There continues to be so much discussion about this because it is sooooo very frustrating for many of us long time cruisers who worked for years to build status on Celebrity only to have them drastically change one of our favorite parts of the ship on all new ships. And not just partially,  but 95% of the non-suite cabins if not more. Now I have the choice- pay lots of $$ for a suite, give up one of my favorite things (a nice balcony), or sail on another line with zero of the benefits I've waited 30 years to get.

Nice summary!

17 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Unfortunately there are not always plenty of balcony ships in certain areas if you want to stick with Celebrity.  There continues to be so much discussion about this because it is sooooo very frustrating for many of us long time cruisers who worked for years to build status on Celebrity only to have them drastically change one of our favorite parts of the ship on all new ships. And not just partially,  but 95% of the non-suite cabins if not more. Now I have the choice- pay lots of $$ for a suite, give up one of my favorite things (a nice balcony), or sail on another line with zero of the benefits I've waited 30 years to get.

Actually, there are plenty of "balcony" ships in all areas if you want to stick with Celebrity. Since 2000, nine M and S Class ships have provided much enjoyment to X cruisers. They will continue to do so in a style and presentation preferred by many. One's Celebrity "status" is in no way compromised by the introduction of Edge Class ships, and one certainly did not work hard to attain that status. You found an attractive vacation that you liked, spent the money and continued to partake of X's offerings for many years. There are things that some folks don't like about the new ships. So what, don't patronize them. There are nine M & S class ships on which you can continue to enjoy fun and frolic. 

No need to be frustrated because as you stated, "now I have the choice." So make it and stop blaming Infinite Verandas for all things unpleasant about X cruising. These ships are not for everyone, apparently, if one cannot adapt or enjoy the "Brand" in its entirety, cruise elsewhere like many folks are apparently doing. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

👏👏👏👏

• Like 1

19 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

This is a great summary of the frustrations that you share with other X cruisers. Please ignore the arrogant, dismissive responses from the usual suspects.

• Like 4

Having a traditional verandah I might be lucky to go outside on it 15-20 minutes per day.  A few mins in the morning and a few minutes at the very end of the day.  With the infinite verandah we would open the window almost every time we were in the cabin, if not for the entire time at least it was open.  It also allows for better views and provides larger interior space in the cabin.  The automated blackout shade is great too, far better than a curtain/drape.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

Having a traditional verandah I might be lucky to go outside on it 15-20 minutes per day.  A few mins in the morning and a few minutes at the very end of the day.  With the infinite verandah we would open the window almost every time we were in the cabin, if not for the entire time at least it was open.  It also allows for better views and provides larger interior space in the cabin.  The automated blackout shade is great too, far better than a curtain/drape.

That would be a negative for us. Especially if we are cruising the Caribbean. We like the heat and tolerate the humidity, but not inside our stateroom. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

This is a great summary of the frustrations that you share with other X cruisers. Please ignore the arrogant, dismissive responses from the usual suspects.

Could not agree more, RY. Who do people think they are to voice differing opinions and comments in a sensible and logical manner? It screams nothing but vitriolic hubris that has no place on a forum such as this. Kudos to you for pointing this out. However, despite these machinations, I will continue to enjoy Celebrity cruising...in an IV.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I just don’t see all that much value in any ship’s loyalty programs..free laundry?  A drink or two?  Big deal. 

Free laundry matters if doing 21+ days of cruising and 3 days before like I often do. And have you priced the premium liquor package and stream internet lately? We are talking a lot of $$$. Far more than "a drink or two".

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Actually, there are plenty of "balcony" ships in all areas if you want to stick with Celebrity. Since 2000, nine M and S Class ships have provided much enjoyment to X cruisers. They will continue to do so in a style and presentation preferred by many. One's Celebrity "status" is in no way compromised by the introduction of Edge Class ships, and one certainly did not work hard to attain that status. You found an attractive vacation that you liked, spent the money and continued to partake of X's offerings for many years. There are things that some folks don't like about the new ships. So what, don't patronize them. There are nine M & S class ships on which you can continue to enjoy fun and frolic. 

No need to be frustrated because as you stated, "now I have the choice." So make it and stop blaming Infinite Verandas for all things unpleasant about X cruising. These ships are not for everyone, apparently, if one cannot adapt or enjoy the "Brand" in its entirety, cruise elsewhere like many folks are apparently doing. 

Wow. Nice response. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Could not agree more, RY. Who do people think they are to voice differing opinions and comments in a sensible and logical manner? It screams nothing but vitriolic hubris that has no place on a forum such as this. Kudos to you for pointing this out. However, despite these machinations, I will continue to enjoy Celebrity cruising...in an IV.

Thoughtful expressions of contrary opinions are always welcomed by almost everybody. You and others go on the attack, however...as RY said, "dismissive".  

• Like 4

Why does an Infinite Veranda thread bring out such strong(er) opinions from normally pleasant posters here? As others have said, we Celebrity cruisers just all need to live with E-Class ships or be happy with M&S ships, or really just move on.  Many many people like E-class apparently as judged by the full ships.  I usually do not even look at IV threads anymore as for me there will never be an answer, an argument, or a winner.  They just go on and on.  And come back over and over.  I'm not even sure why I am commenting here in this thread.  Please feel free to tell me to move on too!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

The blackout shade in our IV on The Beyond did not work properly several times. Thank goodness, most of the time it did work. I did like the button to open/close the shade but not so much when we had to "finesse" it. We cruised when it wasn't hot and humid so the IV worked well for us. But........if we cruise during hot and humid weather, that IV window will remain closed. I wouldn't mind it so much (having an ocean view) but the price of those IV cabins are the same as a regular verandah.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Why does an Infinite Veranda thread bring out such strong(er) opinions from normally pleasant posters here? As others have said, we Celebrity cruisers just all need to live with E-Class ships or be happy with M&S ships, or really just move on.  Many many people like E-class apparently as judged by the full ships.  I usually do not even look at IV threads anymore as for me there will never be an answer, an argument, or a winner.  They just go on and on.  And come back over and over.  I'm not even sure why I am commenting here in this thread.  Please feel free to tell me to move on too!

After experiencing the IV on The Beyond, I now understand why there is so much objection to this type of accommodation; especially when one usually books a traditional balcony cabin. What truly baffles me is that because of all the detractors to the IV cabins, Royal Caribbean is going to be introducing a new ship with...........guess what?..............IV cabins. All I want to know is...... why???????

Edited by coffeebean

I loved the Beyond, but did not like the Infinity "balcony".  The only day it was nice was the rainy day where the area became an extra inside space.  But I like the traditional balcony, rain or shine, and missed the true outdoors.  We only will travel with balconies and the Infinity soured our opinion of the Edge class ships and probably will avoid them going forward.

The only way to sail on board an Edge Class ship is a booking a SV- my opinion, of course. I sailed on the Maiden Voyage on board Apex- a really stunning ship- some area´s more, some less.

Those SV ´cabins are sold out pretty quick- so I stick with M- Class- or S- Class. M- Class still beeing my favorit class of ships with X.

I fear after all Edge- Class ships are out and about- they will get rid of the M- Class ships one by one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

The perfect answer as to why an IV works for you. Also the perfect answer as to why it won't work for us - we use our balcony for 2 to 3 hours a day on every sea day (we cruise mainly transatlantics and on our last cruise had just 3 ports in 14 days).

12 hours ago, coffeebean said:

After experiencing the IV on The Beyond, I now understand why there is so much objection to this type of accommodation; especially when one usually books a traditional balcony cabin. What truly baffles me is that because of all the detractors to the IV cabins, Royal Caribbean is going to be introducing a new ship with...........guess what?..............IV cabins. All I want to know is...... why???????

Why?????? you ask.  Because a lot of cruisers like them.  Actually, Icon of the Seas has a mixture.  Some infinite balconies but a lot of other choices too.  A much larger ship.  I know some on these Celebrity boards (including me) would have preferred more of a balcony mixture and more choices on E-Class.  But as I expressed before, IMO,  time to just move on from this.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, coffeebean said:

The reason X and RC are going with IV has to do with efficiency (i.e., less fuel costs).  With the IV structure the ship moves with less drag.  The SV cabins are in the back so they don't affect the drag.

Anyway, this is my understanding.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 12:14 PM, JBare said:

Well fortunately, a lot of M and S class ships are also in Europe this season.

In Australia we don’t have this luxury. For the upcoming season 2023/24, it’s the Edge or nothing…. Or another Cruise line. We were lucky to snag a SV for the Xmas cruise months ago. SS prices are ridiculous.

Edited by cruisingaussies
Clarify
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, mdcelebrity said:

The reason X and RC are going with IV has to do with efficiency (i.e., less fuel costs).  With the IV structure the ship moves with less drag.  The SV cabins are in the back so they don't affect the drag.

Even in my ignorance regarding cruise ship efficiency, this certainly seems to be sound reasoning. If indeed that is the case, does Celebrity now catch a break from all the negative IV and Brand related commentary? Those who dislike the Infinite Verandas will continue to dislike them but does the logic behind their creation validate X's attempt to become more efficient and thus cost effective. I would hope so. Can we get away from thinking that X is intentionally deserting loyalists, old folks, light sleepers and real balcony purists?

Also, could it be that over the years there have been many cases of "standard balcony abuse"? Open balcony doors, low AC temp settings to offset heat discomfort when sitting on the balcony. It's not your dime, at the time, but sometime in the future your cruise cost might include another person's electric bill...so to speak.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Even in my ignorance regarding cruise ship efficiency, this certainly seems to be sound reasoning. If indeed that is the case, does Celebrity now catch a break from all the negative IV and Brand related commentary? Those who dislike the Infinite Verandas will continue to dislike them but does the logic behind their creation validate X's attempt to become more efficient and thus cost effective. I would hope so.

Walmart is more efficient and cost effective, but I do not shop there...

A Yugo is more efficent and cost effective than a BMW.  Yet no Yugos in my garage.

Yes they have deserted their loyalists and gone after a market for people who do not like their AC or balconies.

Perhaps they could change their logo from Modern Luxury to Modery Economy.  There is nothing luxurious about sweating in a IV.

Edited by NMTraveller

12 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Why?????? you ask.  Because a lot of cruisers like them.  Actually, Icon of the Seas has a mixture.  Some infinite balconies but a lot of other choices too.  A much larger ship.  I know some on these Celebrity boards (including me) would have preferred more of a balcony mixture and more choices on E-Class.  But as I expressed before, IMO,  time to just move on from this.  

Time to move on maybe for those folks who have cruised Celebrity many times. That is not my experience. Most of my 55 cruises has been on Royal and NCL. On those 55 cruises, most were in traditional balconies.

The Celebrity Beyond was an absolutely stunning ship in the public spaces but the IV was a huge disappointment for us. I can't say I didn't know what to expect because I did my homework and read lots of bad reviews of the IV. We just wanted to try it. Hubby and I have sailed on the Millie once, years ago, the Solstice once and a sister ship once. That is our experience on Celebrity.

I still cannot understand why Royal is building a ship with IV cabins when there are so many complaints about them.

11 hours ago, mdcelebrity said:

That does make sense.