No More Veuve, No More Grey Goose

gmbhardy

2 hours ago, depplep said:

I would be interested to see what offerings Princess has. Their website doesn't list brands as far as I could see.

No problem. Here you go. 40% discount compared to NCL. Goose, Woodford, Talisker, Chambord, Bailey's, Hendricks, Blantons all included. Plus their package offers bottled water, specialty coffees and teas, fresh squeezed juices, milkshakes, and even more.

No service charge on their plus or premier bundled offering. Check it out.

https://profcruise.com/new-princess-drink-prices-2023/

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 12:17 AM, fastpitchdad said:

If you are upgrading to FAS+ from FAS just to get a bottle of wine with dinner then you would do MUCH better to bring your own with no corkage fee both economically and gastronomically. 

I'm most experienced with Communion wine from my days as an altar server. Or the boxed wine my mom would drink after work. 🙂

But, yes, I do agree with you. I didn't realize that is what you were saying: bring your own wine or upgrade to Free at Sea Plus. I am in total agreement with you there! 

Personally, as an adult, I find Montana Flathead Cherry Dry Wine by Tenspoon Vineyard to be the best wine in the world. Alas, I haven't exactly tried more than, probably ten or fifteen wines. 

• Like 1

Just off the Getaway with FAS+.  Veuve was only available by the glass in Le Bistro and Ocean where they were happy to pour it like water.  We enjoyed the Pommery Rose which we were already familiar with, but believe it is crazy that they made their only option for real champagne a rose.  We were able to get it from the Atrium and Mixx around dinner time, but suspect it was available all day.  Someone posted a picture of the Veuve offered by the glass a featured wine in the MDR, but it was not on offer as part of the plus package.  We don't drink any spirit other than gin so can't say what was really available.  As for gin, they had a Monkey 47 from Germany that was on the menu for $35 and included in the + so we had that instead of our regular Sapphire.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 12:17 AM, fastpitchdad said:

If you are upgrading to FAS+ from FAS just to get a bottle of wine with dinner then you would do MUCH better to bring your own with no corkage fee both economically and gastronomically. 

I don't really want to carry 7+ bottles of wine on a flight though. As long as there are no more changes, I can be happy with a bottle of Pommery to start and then a bottle of a decent red.

9 minutes ago, evanskl4 said:

I don't really want to carry 7+ bottles of wine on a flight though. As long as there are no more changes, I can be happy with a bottle of Pommery to start and then a bottle of a decent red.

We do it and it isn't too much of a hassle although having 70 pounds luggage allowance helps (wine also flies free on Alaska Airlines). You could always buy it once you get to the embarkation city. 

• Like 2

Currently on the Spirit.  Veuve is available by the glass at Le Bistro.  A Sr bar staff person told us they are aware of this thread and there was a meeting to explain to the staff that Veuve supply is limited because of Covid.  Production pretty much ended for two years and with time required for aging, the supply isn’t going to recover for a year or two. I’m just reporting what I hear.  I don’t even drink it so no skin in this game. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2023 at 12:25 AM, fastpitchdad said:

Or just bring your own with no corkage fee (with regular FAS) and it will be likely way better than anything you can get by the bottle for free with FAS+. We actually get FAS+ and bring our own wine to have with dinner. 

Do you fly to the port? If so, what type of packaging do you use to protect your wine bottles?

1 hour ago, JennKach said:

Currently on the Spirit.  Veuve is available by the glass at Le Bistro.  A Sr bar staff person told us they are aware of this thread and there was a meeting to explain to the staff that Veuve supply is limited because of Covid.  Production pretty much ended for two years and with time required for aging, the supply isn’t going to recover for a year or two. I’m just reporting what I hear.  I don’t even drink it so no skin in this game. 

At Le Bistro are you able to use P+ or are you charged the $29 per glass fee

1 hour ago, JennKach said:

If you give NCL the benefit of the doubt in terms of attaining Veuve. Then they should go ahead and put Moet or Perrier Jouet or Montaudon or Cattier or even Nicolas Feuilatte on the P+ by the glass. To offer only a rose for the price of the P+ package is NCL being cheap.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

This rose only is BRUTal. Serious enough to consider NOT upgrading to +.

Duty fees and shopping/finding wine at disembarkment port; plus lugging (and breaking) bottles usually deters me from byob.

+ past champagne/wine selection was a reason I still liked and chose ncl.

Now with food quality/selection sliding (especially specialty restaurants) and limited choice of champagne/wine; ncl is losing money sending away loyal customers...

• Like 5

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Do you fly to the port? If so, what type of packaging do you use to protect your wine bottles?

We use these and then wrap in clothes. The trick is to make sure the suitcase is really tight. We have taken wine all over the world without issue (*knock on wood*). 

http://[UPGRADED PROTECTION] 8 Set... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09P7XHPSG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

No way I am hauling wine to the cruise.  To me it's like taking sand to the beach.  We compared NCL's wine list (FAS+) to Royal and Celebrity premium, and believe NCL is better.  That said, our opinion is that it's almost the only thing we liked better about NCL.  I'm working on the overall review, but gut feeling based on overall cruise experience we enjoyed Celebrity better.  I'll wait for the review to rant about the ridiculous smoke coming from the casio.  That's a different topic entirely! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2023 at 5:11 PM, BirdTravels said:

We are currently on the Escape and Veuve has been remove from all bars. It is only available in Le Bistro by the glass and by the bottle. I spoke with the Food and Beverage manager who said that they can’t get enough to stock the bars. Vueve is becoming hard to source and what they can get (versus their old volume buys) is expensive. They are keeping it in Bistro, for now, since it is the signature drink there. 

Same experience as this on the Encore last week. Vueve available by the glass only at Le Bistro.

• Like 1

Reading the back and forth about champagnes, I may be in the wrong post.  I've got a Basic drink package - the plan that you get included.

My partner and I are wine drinkers - mostly.   But there is no detailed list of what is available on the  basic plan.  We are not looking for top end things but a nice red, and a nice white. Does "basic" even have champagne - Andre' or even prosecco.?  We'd just like to know what there to be expected.  

11 hours ago, HERKIMER417 said:

Reading the back and forth about champagnes, I may be in the wrong post.  I've got a Basic drink package - the plan that you get included.

My partner and I are wine drinkers - mostly.   But there is no detailed list of what is available on the  basic plan.  We are not looking for top end things but a nice red, and a nice white. Does "basic" even have champagne - Andre' or even prosecco.?  We'd just like to know what there to be expected.  

There's a few "lives" that have posted the drink menus. Anything $15 and under you can get at no cost. 

Check out post 178 on this live by @BirdTravels. There's a Rose and Prosecco at Ocean Blue you would be able to get on Escape. Bar menus likely differ by ship/what's available. *waving to my neighbor in Herkimer*

7 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

There's a few "lives" that have posted the drink menus. Anything $15 and under you can get at no cost. 

Check out post 178 on this live by @BirdTravels. There's a Rose and Prosecco at Ocean Blue you would be able to get on Escape. Bar menus likely differ by ship/what's available. *waving to my neighbor in Herkimer*

I think that’s the key point.  Liquors/wines/beers often change by ship, as it’s dependent on what is available at the port distributors when they are resupplying.  

• Like 1

"I think that’s the key point.  Liquors/wines/beers often change by ship, as it’s dependent on what is available at the port distributors when they are resupplying. "

I doubt that if veuve is available at a port but the price is too high that NCL will stock it. Seems they are using the Veuve inventory exclusively at Le Bistro. Read recently that it wasn't available in The Haven until day 5. Not right. If you are in the Haven and you paid for P+ and you want a glass of Veuve and can't get. Then NCL needs to offer something comparable, not a Rose, and stop the unhappiness of so many disappointed passengers.

• Like 4

On 5/17/2023 at 4:16 PM, JCDCA said:

You can’t get Buffalo Trace at home?  It’s not that high end and is readily available at all liquor stores near my house.  And I’m a ways from Kentucky 😎

I live in Ohio, an hour north of Kentucky border.  As soon as Stores get Buffalo Trace, it is gone FAST.  Enjoy it, if you got it.